Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Funnily enough, using the Credit Card on a devil deal makes it so that taking those items does not prevent Angel rooms from appearing. So that's something else to keep in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Funnily enough, using the Credit Card on a devil deal makes it so that taking those items does not prevent Angel rooms from appearing. So that's something else to keep in mind.

My guess is because you're not actually spending hearts to get the items.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Atomicated posted:

Because you don't have to make devil deals to get guppy items or is there some other weird item pool shenanigans that this circumvents?

That's exactly it. It's pretty much the only way to have multiple items in the god and devil room pools in one run.

e: Or do the credit card thing :v:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
There's an important semantic distinction between making a deal with the devil and robbing the devil.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Well, I just got the worst reroll I've ever seen in this game - Proptosis, Tiny Planet, Number One, Soy Milk, and Fiery Mind with a BBF for good measure. The soy milk tears go halfway in a tiny arc that's close enough to you to guarantee explosion damage if you kill something with it.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

Well, I just got the worst reroll I've ever seen in this game - Proptosis, Tiny Planet, Number One, Soy Milk, and Fiery Mind with a BBF for good measure. The soy milk tears go halfway in a tiny arc that's close enough to you to guarantee explosion damage if you kill something with it.

The worst one I ever got was Proptosis + Anti-Gravity. The tears would hover and vanish in-place.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

PantsBandit posted:

drat, odds of that combo have got to be astronomical.
Well how about this happening? I guess you could say the odds are... astrological. :q:

I have a sneaking suspicion astrology signs are somehow tied to the luck stat. I was replicating luck up pills in the same room and after taking 16 luck ups the astrology signs came out one after the other. I already had aries and gemini never showed.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I played a little of the original Isaac but was never that into it but I got gifted Rebirth for Christmas and I've been having a blast. I've been watching some Rebirth lp's and noticed no one ever uses those rooms with spikes in the middle that give you items. Any particular reason why? Also is there some trick to unlocking Cain? I've got 3 mom heart kills but the most pennies I've ever had at once is 48.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I played a little of the original Isaac but was never that into it but I got gifted Rebirth for Christmas and I've been having a blast. I've been watching some Rebirth lp's and noticed no one ever uses those rooms with spikes in the middle that give you items. Any particular reason why? Also is there some trick to unlocking Cain? I've got 3 mom heart kills but the most pennies I've ever had at once is 48.

The sacrifice room's spikes hurt you for 1 heart a pop and MIGHT spawn a single chest. If you get hurt down to half a red heart, it will spawn a chest, guaranteed, but it's never really worth it to pay that much life for a chest that probably just has a penny or a troll bomb in it. Also if you don't have any red hearts, you can only get a chest via the luck method.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
I took my first shot at Suicide King last night.

Apparently killing Isaac and dying at the same time isn't good enough :negative:

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
drat dude turn down flux

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

EvilSlug posted:

Speaking of the lost, I hope Ed figures a way to let us select random without him for sake of streaks. I don't want to have to use a different save without him for random streaks; because I want to keep his items in the pool.

I've got some good news for you.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I want to know why Mongo Baby doesn't copy lil Brimstone and the answer better not be 'it would be too powerful'. :colbert:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

drat dude turn down flux

that's a bug that just happens to some people, i don't know what the hell is up with it

Flux doesn't take color adjusted images, either, it's like a postprocess filter over the entire interface that doesn't effect actual rendering or anything

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

TheModernAmerican posted:

The left hand is the only way to get sacred heart catmode, so yeah, it's great.

I've gotten stupid-lucky with a curse room with 3 red chests, all with a different Guppy item. That was a one in a million chance. Or maybe there's back-end shenanigans to make something like that not unheard of.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

IMJack posted:

I've gotten stupid-lucky with a curse room with 3 red chests, all with a different Guppy item. That was a one in a million chance. Or maybe there's back-end shenanigans to make something like that not unheard of.

Floor 1 curse room, head+paw in chests, pick up both then reroll, pick up tail and pact, exit curse room as flying harbinger of death.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

IMJack posted:

I've seen it happen, and at least one other person posted a seed way upthread where it happened in the curse room adjacent start. Given how the loot tables work for replacing items that have already appeared, the most unlikely thing about it is getting 3 red chests containing items.

Also, I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but Dark Bum 'carries' his hearts between rooms. So if you find the super secret room with a bunch of hearts, let Dark Bum pick them all up and then quickly exit the room before he returns to you. He'll then drop soul/sin hearts instead of red hearts.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Protip: Go to documents/my games/binding of isaac rebirth/options.ini and set "max scale" from 99 down to 3 or 2. That lets you limit how far the game's graphics scale up to like so:

That's with a limit of 2. If you're in a small room the UI doesn't overlap the floor anymore and if you're in a large room you can see much more than you could before. Enjoy!

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Poizen Jam posted:

I've seen it happen, and at least one other person posted a seed way upthread where it happened in the curse room adjacent start. Given how the loot tables work for replacing items that have already appeared, the most unlikely thing about it is getting 3 red chests containing items.

Also, I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but Dark Bum 'carries' his hearts between rooms. So if you find the super secret room with a bunch of hearts, let Dark Bum pick them all up and then quickly exit the room before he returns to you. He'll then drop soul/sin hearts instead of red hearts.
You can even exit to the next floor and have him drop some soul hearts on the next floor. And yeah I'm pretty much a bastard with getting crazy lucky. I wasn't restart scumming for that instant guppy seed either, you can see I cleared the floor before checking the curse room as I normally do. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=338410061

Took pandoras box to the cathedral twice today and got sacred heart both times. Then the game is like oh hey you have brimstone AND sacred heart this time, I bet you really want to fight mega satan with that.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Are there any chipsets BoI doesn't play well with on the PC? I upgraded my rig last week, and now, whenever I try to play, the game slows down to a crawl before freezing entirely on the file select screen after skipping the intro. I'm using the same graphics card as before, which never had any problems previously, and I've un/reinstalled about a dozen times with no luck.

Suggestions?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I lucked out on a Suicide King run, got a re-roll dice room, got Brimstone, owned that run :smug:

Now I have to do Beans! and gently caress that. Jesus christ.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
but you start with 99 bombs

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Pray for some 2 of clubs cards.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Ddraig posted:

I lucked out on a Suicide King run, got a re-roll dice room, got Brimstone, owned that run :smug:

This happened to me today, except I got magnet tears with a near melee range. :smith: I probably would have just won if I continued without the dice room but it was too tempting.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
I played my beans run slowly and let the bean recharge most of the time in the middle of rooms rather than use the bombs. It took an annoyingly long time, but I ended up beating the challenge with around 20 bombs left and it was never that difficult beyond the final fight.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Finally defeated The Lamb as The Lost to complete his hard mode card.

gently caress everything about that character.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Having finally gotten all of the endings (holy poo poo Mega Satan takes some luck to get to), I'm a little disappointed that the spooky "JESUS LOVES YOU, CAN'T YOU SEE" music from the trailer never plays during the credits or anything. I figured that'd be this game's version of the creepy Jesus Loves Me song from the original game.

It's on the soundtrack, I guess they just put it together for the trailer?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Are there any chipsets BoI doesn't play well with on the PC? I upgraded my rig last week, and now, whenever I try to play, the game slows down to a crawl before freezing entirely on the file select screen after skipping the intro. I'm using the same graphics card as before, which never had any problems previously, and I've un/reinstalled about a dozen times with no luck.

Suggestions?

Do you have CPU throttling/slow down turned on? I remember having a similar problem with 2D and Flash games on new laptops.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

Gather cash and pray that a shop gives you a red or blue candle. If you get any orbitals, use them to melee monsters to death.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Tollymain posted:

but you start with 99 bombs

Yeah I don't think people realize that it's really easy just to bomb your way through the challenge. Also, since you have 99 bombs it's easy to get money. Watch out for red candle in the store if you have it unlocked because it makes any of the "no tears" challenges really trivial

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Poizen Jam posted:

Do you have CPU throttling/slow down turned on? I remember having a similar problem with 2D and Flash games on new laptops.

Tried that (running on a desktop, rather than a laptop), but it did nothing. Messed around with all the in-game settings: nothing. Then turned the graphics filter on.

Why is that, of all things, causing the game to work?!

Anyway, just had my first successful run with Cain and discovered Whip Worm works really well with Proptosis, at least until you get some tears upgrades. I was able to shred everything in seconds with those two items alone for most of the game.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Finding the Ludovico Technique as Azazel in the very first treasure room is pretty hilarious. Managed to become Guppy during the same run as well, which felt kind of gratuitous.

Almost would've gotten Mamas Boy too if not for a stray bullet from the heart that I didn't see coming. :argh: "Not seeing poo poo in time" was kind of that run's MO though, what with the huge ring of brimstone obscuring stuff so much.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
So if you take a Devil/Black Market deal does it become impossible to get an Angel room? Does the rosary bead make it possible again?

Edit: maybe relevant to mention Im using the error room to keep repeating The Chest.

Amcoti fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 8, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Do proptosis tears actually do less damage as they travel?

I could be wrong but it doesn't feel like they do.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Poizen Jam posted:

They do, but it's still a net gain on damage even at the furthest range.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Finally unlocked The Lost after about 8-10 tries at it, at a guess, using seeds listed on the wiki page. The best part about it is probably the last run being Azazel, as he's always fun to play.
Whether or not I can do any no-hit runs with him to unlock those final items is another thing entirely.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Poizen Jam posted:

You get a minimum bonus of +30% damage.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Atomicated posted:

So if you take a Devil/Black Market deal does it become impossible to get an Angel room? Does the rosary bead make it possible again?

Edit: maybe relevant to mention Im using the error room to keep repeating The Chest.

It's still possible, but pretty unlikely. Unlike Flash Isaac you can still get angel rooms even after devil deals. The rosary bead isn't absolutely necessary, but it is one of the few items that natively boost the chances of angel rooms spawning, so it does help. Some other ways to boost your chances would be rejecting future devil deals (i.e. not purchasing items for hearts; you can still open red chests, pick up sin hearts, and take free items), taking key pieces, and a few other 'holy' items. Note that the Bible Tract doesn't help, it just raises the likelihood of eternal hearts spawning.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Rad, I picked up Epic Fetus, Mutant Spider, Ipecac, Guppy and Tech 2 among other items in the same run.

Each time I shot, 4 rockets rain from the heavens and blast anything to bits. Mega Satan's 2nd form died in 2 hits as did Blue Baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ddraig posted:

You can just bomb the doors open and skip everything except bosses