Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

The White Dragon posted:

Limited to your party members, I'm afraid. But that's okay because Hugh is the best and will poo poo talk you no matter who you try to hook up with and criticize you for not being bro enough.
Ya this, but I believe you can 'end' as a bro friend too much like WoT.

I think WoT's the only game that has like 140 some endings though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Ya this, but I believe you can 'end' as a bro friend too much like WoT.

I think WoT's the only game that has like 140 some endings though.

And they're all wonderful. Then again I burnt out on it hard halfway through my run for the Familiar ending.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Cake Attack posted:

i think most people will say one of Oath in Felghana and Origins, depending on personal preference

Couldn't that be because those are the ones most people have played?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

eh

lots of people have played all of 1&2, Oath, Origins, Seven and Celceta since they're all easily available and i still tend to hear Oath and Origins from these types

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've played almost the entire series except Celceta and Oath is still the best of all of them.

I'm legitimately surprised to hear people saying Oath is too hard while simultaneously talking up Origins. I found Origins to be massively more difficult on a blind first playthrough than Oath is(assuming you're not playing Hugo, who is a broken little nerd who breaks the game over his knee pretty much out of the gate).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ugh, trying to dig up my PSP so I can play Tactics Ogre with CFCheats. I hate this game while also loving it. I'd rather just play it on the Vita but the post game is just too much to resume RIP

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kanos posted:

I've played almost the entire series except Celceta and Oath is still the best of all of them.

I'm legitimately surprised to hear people saying Oath is too hard while simultaneously talking up Origins. I found Origins to be massively more difficult on a blind first playthrough than Oath is(assuming you're not playing Hugo, who is a broken little nerd who breaks the game over his knee pretty much out of the gate).

Origin has Khlonsclard and is thus worse than Oath be default. Origin also has several puzzles that are really only solved by knowing how they worked in Ys I. The dungeon design is usually a little better than Oath's but too many of the bosses are just unfun slogs if you try to play on hard or nightmare.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ys 3 best Ys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVbhCkNVv9Q&t=4376s

(that's code for Oath is the best geez)

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I've found that Origins' bosses following That Stupid Desert Boss are mostly undertuned. I've only played on Normal and Hard, but after the desert stage it felt like bosses just didn't do enough damage to be really threatening, and I'm not the kind of player who grinds at all. The mantis boss is mildly difficult, and it's downhill from there.

The desert boss is a goddamned nightmare, though. I don't like its design at all -- the self-healing mechanic simply compounds the impact of your character's level in a game where it already matters way too much.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What do you guys rate Trails in the Sky out of 10

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
a good jrpg/10

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

WYA posted:

everybody loves tits/10

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ZlW6yp9CU / 10

no joke, the third Legend of Heroes series throws mechs at you at the very end of the first installment and it becomes a staple gameplay thing in the second installment

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Rascyc posted:

no joke, the third Legend of Heroes series throws mechs at you at the very end of the first installment and it becomes a staple gameplay thing in the second installment

So maybe I'm just a philistine or whatever but this doesn't look like terribly exciting gameplay to me.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's nothing really exciting about Sen no Kiseki's gameplay. It's pretty much just like Sora (Trails in the Sky) except status ailments are much more powerful and link attacks are a thing. When you roll out in mechs, it's pretty similar except you can target body parts and stuff.

If you want actual eye candy stuff then probably want to watch a fight with link attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3WiO4NAQL8&t=57s

But yeah it's a very straight forward system. They did most of the changes to the character customization aspect of the game, particularly overhauling orbments and stuff.

Honestly I hope we get Ao no Kiseki looooooooooong before we get Sen no Kiseki but it's always nice to see mechs in an RPG IMO~

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
Man that first video would probably have to be the most boring implementation of giant robots I have ever seen in a game.

The second is more interesting, so I guess the first one is roughly a tutorial style fight?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

punk rebel ecks posted:

I played most of the games starting with Ys I&II on the TG16 first, and I would also say that Oath/Origin are the best. Well actually my first Ys game ever was III on the SNES back in the 90s but let's set that aside for now. You more or less have three groups:

Bumping games: Ys I&II, the original Ys IV's
Hack & Slash: Ys V, VI, Oath in Felghana, Origin, and I guess the original Ys III
Party games: Ys Seven and Memories in Celceta

Ys III/V aren't good and VI is decidedly less refined in my opinion than Oath/Origin, so those are the two I'd pick for that group. Ys I&II are ancient 1980's action RPGs that have been ported a million times, and while I have a lot of nostalgia for them they do show their age. I will admit that I never played the original incarnations of Ys IV, so maybe those are amazing but at least between I&II and Oath/Origin it's just too hard to ignore the modern updates the latter provided. And finally, the party games, which have been an interesting experiment but also one I hope Falcom puts aside for a while because I don't think Falcom has quite perfected their balance yet. It's not even that you can abuse healing items, and thus never die in boss fights, it's that the boss patterns and such just seem sort of lackadaisical with huge arenas that make avoiding attacks a breeze. The crafting mechanics they implement kind of feel like bullshit JRPG busywork, which I'm not completely enamored with. So neither of those two would get the nod over Oath/Origin either for me.

Truth to be told I like Ys III a decent amount even though it's a bad game. I rented it a ton of times for some reason and it just really grew on me. Helps that the soundtrack as usual is great.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
I just played through Ys III recently (the genesis version) and despite being janky and broken with a wildly uneven difficulty curve it's actually a lot of fun. Even if the side scrolling thing didn't suit the series it had some good points like the lack of back tracking and all of the items and equipment were basically easy to reach, so no weird hidden alcoves and such.

That said I died probably 20 times getting overconfident just in the first dungeon to trash enemies until I gained a few levels because you take so much damage and leveling takes a while in the very beginning. Great music though.

It's a shame there aren't more games like it, even by Falcom these days. Ys Seven was fun but a bit too drawn out. I really enjoyed the pace of the series since it's basically "okay I've got a little bit of story, let's kill a bunch of stuff". Older entries rarely overdid it with exposition and puzzles, even if a few had some really confusing dungeons in the late game.

Snyderman fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 8, 2015

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Fantastic post Nate RFB.

WYA posted:

I know that people are giving you mildly sarcastic responses but it is fitting for this question. Trails is a hard game to rate because it's only the first half of a large game. Imagine if say Dragon Quest VIII was split into two games, with the first ending after you beat Doulmagus. It would be very difficult to rate this hypothetical Dragon Quest VIII: The First Chapter because you've only played one arc of a larger story. At that's roughly how Trails feels, it's a great game that is paced well but doesn't have that much of a payoff in the end.

But if I had to rate the game as it stands, it would be 8/10.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
This is bugging me, but what's WoT? Wheel of Time?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Based on context, probably Growlanser - Wayfarer of Time.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

RadicalR posted:

Wayfarer of time

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Cake Attack posted:

Wayfarer of time

:doh: I think I have that game somewhere. Is it actually good?

Note: I can tolerate high amount of anime.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

RadicalR posted:

Thank you for asking. I was going to, but I was too terrified that some company actually make a Wheel of Time JRPG.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

RadicalR posted:

:doh: I think I have that game somewhere. Is it actually good?

Note: I can tolerate high amount of anime.

Yeah its fun and has lots of content. The main plot ends up being somewhat less interesting than the politicking going on in the background, but oh well

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MockingQuantum posted:

Thank you for asking. I was going to, but I was too terrified that some company actually make a Wheel of Time JRPG.

Not a JRPG but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dzdZqSkiXQ

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

To be honest it's kind of immaterial to me whether they made one or not, I'm not a WoT fan. I just felt like a JRPG version of it would herald the coming of slow RPG heat-death.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Nate RFB posted:

I played most of the games starting with Ys I&II on the TG16 first, and I would also say that Oath/Origin are the best. Well actually my first Ys game ever was III on the SNES back in the 90s but let's set that aside for now. You more or less have three groups:

None of the YS games have been as good for me as the original 3 were on the Turbo Grafx CD. But of course that's the nostalgia talking. When I found out about the YS 1&2 re-releases for Windows with updated graphics a while ago I was so excited. I went through the trouble of getting them and getting the translations. Then eventually Xseed released them on Steam, and that was awesome. But then I wasn't happy that the TG:CD soundtrack wasn't included, so I added that back in myself and played it for a while. But as much as I love Falcom and continue to support them I doubt anything they ever do will be half as good for me as playing YS with those amazing CD sountracks was back when I was 12.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Speaking of Ys and TitS, there's an anime game sale on Steam this weekend. TitS and the four Steam Ys games are on sale, check it out.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

King of Solomon posted:

Speaking of Ys and TitS, there's an anime game sale on Steam this weekend. TitS and the four Steam Ys games are on sale, check it out.
Already own them... and Hatoful Boyfriend... but do I want any of these other anime games? Any playable JRPGs?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Already own them... and Hatoful Boyfriend... but do I want any of these other anime games? Any playable JRPGs?

Not an RPG but the new Strider is really good. So is Legend of Korra which is...listed as anime for some reason.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Sorry for interrupting but I have a bit of confession to make regarding this genre:

I've pretty much neglected RPGs for almost all of years of gaming and I wanted to try to fix that this year after noticing the RPGs I've bought on sale over the last few years but never played.

What I wanted to do was go thru all the mainline SP Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games before the year was up. I've started (barely) on the first games in each franchise and plan to replace the DQ games with the Chrono series once it has been exhausted.

My question is this a fools errand or is there something to gain from this project?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wouldn't wish the first three Final Fantasies on anyone but my most hated of enemies.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nate RFB posted:

I wouldn't wish the first three Final Fantasies on anyone but my most hated of enemies.

Really? I feel like the first is worth playing at the very least, and the other two aren't bad so much as outdated at this point.

And at least they don't have the stupid loving 'active time battle system' that makes 4-9 so awful. God I hate that bullshit.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Island Nation posted:

Sorry for interrupting but I have a bit of confession to make regarding this genre:

I've pretty much neglected RPGs for almost all of years of gaming and I wanted to try to fix that this year after noticing the RPGs I've bought on sale over the last few years but never played.

What I wanted to do was go thru all the mainline SP Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games before the year was up. I've started (barely) on the first games in each franchise and plan to replace the DQ games with the Chrono series once it has been exhausted.

My question is this a fools errand or is there something to gain from this project?

I actually set out on this road myself, though I've already played all of the FFs up to 12 (minus 11), so I'm only playing the DQ games for the first time.

I would say it's not necessarily a fool's errand, it may at times be a tedious errand. There's definitely some gems in there, but what I would say is that if a game becomes tedious or annoying, don't be afraid to skip it. I'd say both series improved as they went on, though you could argue for or against the most recent entries in both series. I'd hate to see someone not ever play FF4 or 6 because they couldn't stomach FF2 or 3. The first three Final Fantasies are pretty painful nowadays, but they get better:
-1 is charming but very simple
-2 is a mess in terms of mechanics
-3 is both kind of tedious and has some really unforgiving dungeons, depending on which version you'd play
-4 is pretty great, but a touch dated, I think it has some very memorable moments and characters
-5 is fun but the story doesn't really matter, it's got a pretty decent job system
-6 is personally my favorite game ever, though some people don't find it to be very engaging or it loses them at the big halfway point
-7 is 7, either you like it or you don't, but it definitely influenced everything that followed it
-8 I personally don't care for, so ask somebody else
-9 I think is one of the best incarnations of the series, it's fun, the story is decent, the characters are varied, and it probably has better pacing than most of its predecessors
-10 seems to be pretty divisive, I loved it, but it's less of a "game" than some of the earlier Final Fantasies, in a weird way.
-don't play 11.
-12 is probably my second favorite, but the story doesn't really deliver, and the mechanics are complex and the gambit system takes some work to be fun. I hear a lot of improvements were made in the International version though.
-Also it's a very different style of game, but I'd assert that you should include Final Fantasy Tactics in your list, probably somewhere around FF7 since they were released only a few months apart

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Zore posted:

Really? I feel like the first is worth playing at the very least, and the other two aren't bad so much as outdated at this point.

And at least they don't have the stupid loving 'active time battle system' that makes 4-9 so awful. God I hate that bullshit.

I think they're worth playing, but I absolutely would say 2&3 are not worth finishing.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Island Nation posted:

A buddy of mine has been trying this with FF, she's only ever played X and so she bought a bunch of the PS1 collections for her PS3 and has been streaming some of it. The other day she finally broke in the middle of FF2, even with me giving frequent hints to help her along and keep the game from being as brutal as it could be. She's skipped ahead to FF3 and my money is on her doing the same, even if much later in the game.

I would absolutely say dip into each? But if you get to a place where you're going "THIS SUCKS" then just write that one off and try the next. They're all decidedly different and you're just not gonna like some of 'em.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

They weren't bad at the time but they're way past their sell by date at this point. The genre has moved on from those mechanics for good reason, and the limitations on the kind of storytelling you can do in an 8 bit game are really apparent if you compare them to any game made in the last 25 years rather than Balloon Fight or something. Even the remakes are pretty boring and that's with a total rewrite and a big coat of gloss applied.

Like, the early Final Fantasy games were way ahead of their time in many ways, but it came at the cost of not really being able to execute against the vision that they had very well. FFIV is the first one that's still worth playing as a modern gamer, and then only if you have a strong stomach for 90s RPG mechanics. V through VII is kind of the sweet spot for the series, IMO.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

A buddy of mine has been trying this with FF, she's only ever played X and so she bought a bunch of the PS1 collections for her PS3 and has been streaming some of it. The other day she finally broke in the middle of FF2, even with me giving frequent hints to help her along and keep the game from being as brutal as it could be. She's skipped ahead to FF3 and my money is on her doing the same, even if much later in the game.

I would absolutely say dip into each? But if you get to a place where you're going "THIS SUCKS" then just write that one off and try the next. They're all decidedly different and you're just not gonna like some of 'em.

Agreed. The only ones I feel you absolutely need to give a fair shake to before passing over are 4-10, and even then 5 and 8 are sort of outliers depending on what you're looking for in an RPG. That's totally my own opinion though; I love 5 but can't recommend it to people without qualification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

2 is only fun if you approach it from the angle of "how much can I break these awful lovely mechanics for my benefit"