Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to modify a nail gun so that it behaves like movie nail guns?

I mean like, remove the air compressor (or use one of those weak cordless guns), safety pressed thing, and increase the power so it'll penetrate skulls at 20 meters?

Someone must have done this but I can't find any sites or videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's for puckins right

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

You can. Just need to do the title transfer. Source: just did it a few years ago. In Washington (the state), even.

Confirmed, I did the same a year or so ago as well.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

tuyop posted:

I mean like, remove the air compressor (or use one of those weak cordless guns), safety pressed thing, and increase the power so it'll penetrate skulls at 20 meters?

Yeah I have one at home it's called a rifle.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
e: nevermind, wrong thread.

Dragyn fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 8, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Dragyn posted:

What is standard protocol for a drain for a condensation pump (from a furnace) draining outside re: insulation? I ask because mine is just a plastic tube that sticks out the back wall of the unit and the end of it froze last night, resulting in me having to thaw out the blockage with a hair dryer. There's no floor drain in the room or anything.

Proper slope so there is never any water in it after it leaves heated/conditioned space.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

What sort of custom are you talking about? Color, size, logos, mathematically improbable odd sided dice?

Just a unique, black/white image on a normal 6-sided die.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I was reading a book from the 1930's and there was a scene in a rural area of Italy where apparently the water was "not safe" so the peasants there would regularly put a little wine in it.

Does that actually do anything? Common sense tells me that putting a small amount of a low alcohol beverage (a rather sugary one at that) in contaminated water is not going to do anything at all to lessen whatever dangerous bacteria might be in it. But the kind of people who cite common sense also are the kind of people who act like anything old Italian peasants used to do was automatically correct by virtue of its folksy old world wisdom.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Historically, a lot of people drank heavily diluted beer or wine on a daily basis due to lack of clean water.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

tuyop posted:

You can get cordless nail guns powered by blank .22 rounds, disable the little button that only lets you fire when the gun touches something, then you'll basically have an unsafe, inaccurate pistol.

Don't do this.

If you do this, link the YouTube to the schadenfreude and OSHA thread.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Is there a font identification thread? A friend of mine wants to recreate this poster:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

You can get cordless nail guns powered by blank .22 rounds, disable the little button that only lets you fire when the gun touches something, then you'll basically have an unsafe, inaccurate pistol.

Don't do this.

If you do this, link the YouTube to the schadenfreude and OSHA thread.

Are they semi-automatic?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'm making a portfolio with InDesign. Currently it's too large at 32 pages and around 10,000kb. I removed one spread (two pages) that had no images, and only 5 little paragraphs of text. This reduced the file size to 7,700 kb. The next version I removed 10 pages, many of which had graphics, and colors. However this only reduced the file size to 7,400 kb.

1. How can that be (I assumed pictures > text)?
2. What are some steps/tricks I can do to get this document to 5,000kb while not losing too much quality?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I'm making a portfolio with InDesign. Currently it's too large at 32 pages and around 10,000kb. I removed one spread (two pages) that had no images, and only 5 little paragraphs of text. This reduced the file size to 7,700 kb. The next version I removed 10 pages, many of which had graphics, and colors. However this only reduced the file size to 7,400 kb.

1. How can that be (I assumed pictures > text)?
2. What are some steps/tricks I can do to get this document to 5,000kb while not losing too much quality?

Is there any particular reason you're going for under 5 MB on a file in the year 2015?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
A few of the firms I would like to work for want a condensed portfolio of 5 mb max.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Is there any particular reason you're going for under 5 MB on a file in the year 2015?

Some things like political bodies are often still in the dark ages and applications for stuff can have a 5mb limit. Stuff to do with their printers, e-mail etc. I guess it also discourages people sending gigantic 300ppi high-res images in their 100mb PDF files.

e: speaking of, if you're using PS, you can reduce the DPI in one of your settings. Maybe try 144?

Jeza fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 8, 2015

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
Stupid *And* small question: has anyone got the link to the voice recording of the goon reading the poo poo personal ads, specifically the Sean Connery voiced one asking "Are you a DADDY'S GIRL?"

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Jeza posted:

Some things like political bodies are often still in the dark ages and applications for stuff can have a 5mb limit. Stuff to do with their printers, e-mail etc. I guess it also discourages people sending gigantic 300ppi high-res images in their 100mb PDF files.

e: speaking of, if you're using PS, you can reduce the DPI in one of your settings. Maybe try 144?
Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't know about this until you mentioned it. However when I went into my images with photoshop I found that they are already below that DPI (generally around 110).

When using indesign I used the export to PDF -> compression tab -> color images/image quality : set to high

That got me down to 5,028 kb, but one of the images was compressed too much to be useful. We're getting close and I appreciate the help everybody.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't know about this until you mentioned it. However when I went into my images with photoshop I found that they are already below that DPI (generally around 110).

When using indesign I used the export to PDF -> compression tab -> color images/image quality : set to high

That got me down to 5,028 kb, but one of the images was compressed too much to be useful. We're getting close and I appreciate the help everybody.

No idea what the images are, but can they be cropped ever so slightly? That would cut down...some.

Trump.mp4
Feb 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I live in a fairly big apartment complex in a fairly large city, and the pest control people came by today and left a card that they were here to "service" my apartment. I went to their website but it doesn't give any details about what they do. What type of stuff do these companies usually do? I'm pretty unreasonably freaked out by anything poisonous.

Do these services usually just spray liquid around the corners of my rooms and if so is everything around it safe to touch, and are things off the floor ok?

Trump.mp4 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 9, 2015

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Earwicker posted:

I was reading a book from the 1930's and there was a scene in a rural area of Italy where apparently the water was "not safe" so the peasants there would regularly put a little wine in it.

Does that actually do anything? Common sense tells me that putting a small amount of a low alcohol beverage (a rather sugary one at that) in contaminated water is not going to do anything at all to lessen whatever dangerous bacteria might be in it. But the kind of people who cite common sense also are the kind of people who act like anything old Italian peasants used to do was automatically correct by virtue of its folksy old world wisdom.

There was a study back in the 90s that suggested wine had some antibacterial effect. Later studies seem to confirm that. E. coli seems to be affected particularly.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AlbieQuirky posted:

There was a study back in the 90s that suggested wine had some antibacterial effect. Later studies seem to confirm that. E. coli seems to be affected particularly.

If you're eating sketchy food it's best to wash it down with some ethanol.

Or that's what I tell myself to justify drinking with most meals. I've never gotten the Montezuma's Revenge.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

chad.woodworth posted:

I live in a fairly big apartment complex in a fairly large city, and the pest control people came by today and left a card that they were here to "service" my apartment. I went to their website but it doesn't give any details about what they do. What type of stuff do these companies usually do? I'm pretty unreasonably freaked out by anything poisonous.

Do these services usually just spray liquid around the corners of my rooms and if so is everything around it safe to touch, and are things off the floor ok?

Generally, yeah, that's exactly what they do. Or at least it's what they did when I lived in a highrise in the early 2000's. The exterminators repeatedly assured me that everything was perfectly safe, to the point that I didn't need to worry about locking up my pets while they sprayed. I still made sure to clean their water and food dishes afterwards, but everything seemed fine.

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Might I ask what type of portfolio this is?

Basically if it is a design/photography/3d modeling etc, they don't care about printing the thing and that's why they are asking for a 5 MB file in the first place. All you have to do is use the "smaller file size" option and It'll be a decent quality (100 dpi) perfect for web or to just see it on a screen. It can even be printable in a home printer, just not in a more legit setting (which is actually an important feature if you are sending your portfolio to people you don't really know, you don't want them to have a high resolution version of your work for free).

This is what you want:

If you keep on going with the high quality option you'll get nowhere, because it is not only about dpi, it is also how the imaged was compressed. High quality is ideally for printing. For web/not printing the standard is 72 dpi anyway.

Also, if it is a visual portfolio I don't suggest going beyond 15 pages. More is just ridiculous, people don't have that much time to check so many projects. Pick the best and stick to it. Also, don't put too many things per page, the idea is 1 page = 1 example of work.
If it is other type of portfolio, then it really depends

Souvlaki ss fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 10, 2015

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Is there a font identification thread? A friend of mine wants to recreate this poster:

This is 3 different fonts. "$10,000 REWARD" is one, the text in the middle is another, and the name and phone number at the end is a third. I spent some time poking around the font identification websites, but didn't have any luck, possibly because the movie is a bit older (1985). If you're really keen on getting the closest possible font, try asking the guys on a font ID website (like here). For a source that is slightly better than your image this video is pretty good starting around the 38 second mark.

Or just pick something that looks nice. Googling "Pee Wee Herman stolen bike" on image search brings up a few recreations that didn't use the exact font, but still look really good.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Souvlaki ss posted:

If you keep on going with the high quality option you'll get nowhere, because is not only about dpi is also how the imaged was compressed. High quality is ideally for printing. For web/not printing the standard is 72 dpi anyway.

Also, if is a visual portfolio I don't suggest going beyond 15 pages. More is just ridiculous, people don't have that much time to check so many projects. Pick the best and stick to it. Also, don't put too many things per page, the idea is 1 page = 1 example of work.
If is other type of portfolio, then it really depends

Design portfolio. I reached my solution playing with that menu you screen capped. I went into the compression tab on the left sidebar, and there is a section that allows the resizing of images over x size to y size. I got under 5mb with that.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

chad.woodworth posted:

You live in America, the land of suing everyone for everything. How sued would they get if they sprayed poison all over people's apartments?

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

chad.woodworth posted:

Call your leasing office / property manager and ask. They should be the ones who help coordinate this in the first place. It could just be an inspection, as many companies are moving away from spraying without a specific reason. Another possibility is just the application of "gel" cockroach bait under the sink, which doesn't have any risk unless you actually attempt to eat it or something.

If they will be spraying you should ask for preparation instructions, as almost all chemicals require pets to be removed and fish tanks to be covered with their aerators turned off for the next few hours. Also pick up your pet food and water and place them somewhere out of the way of the treatment.

Once the chemicals are dried they are considered safe for casual contact. Usually that just means they are approved to be applied everywhere but surfaces that people are in prolonged contact with, like countertops, chairs/arm rests etc. If they are only spraying the baseboards them yes, things off the floor are safe. Wash your kitchen countertops and any utensils that were sitting out just in case.

Trump.mp4
Feb 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the answers, everyone.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I carry some distilled water in my vehicle. It has on two occasions gotten super chilled and frozen after about five to six seconds from being moved. Is it possible for super chilled water to freeze in your throat as your drinking it? Possibly choking you?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

SlayVus posted:

So I carry some distilled water in my vehicle. It has on two occasions gotten super chilled and frozen after about five to six seconds from being moved. Is it possible for super chilled water to freeze in your throat as your drinking it? Possibly choking you?

Read about supercooled water, it is pretty interesting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercooling

I don't know if it could freeze in your throat as you tried to drink it, but from what I've read it seems like it actually could. There are lots of "parlor trick" style videos on youtube as well.

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Design portfolio. I reached my solution playing with that menu you screen capped. I went into the compression tab on the left sidebar, and there is a section that allows the resizing of images over x size to y size. I got under 5mb with that.

I thought you were doing that since the beginning.
For future reference: pretty much the same menus when you are exporting to PDF on AI. Good luck goon :wooper:

Souvlaki ss fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 10, 2015

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Pogo the Clown posted:

This is 3 different fonts. "$10,000 REWARD" is one, the text in the middle is another, and the name and phone number at the end is a third. I spent some time poking around the font identification websites, but didn't have any luck, possibly because the movie is a bit older (1985). If you're really keen on getting the closest possible font, try asking the guys on a font ID website (like here). For a source that is slightly better than your image this video is pretty good starting around the 38 second mark.

Or just pick something that looks nice. Googling "Pee Wee Herman stolen bike" on image search brings up a few recreations that didn't use the exact font, but still look really good.

Thanks for the links. The top font definitely appears to be hand-modified.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I was cleaning up my closet the other day and pricing my basketball card collection for a garage sale and came across this.

It's apparently a 95-96 Topps Mystery Finest Michael Jordan card #M1. A quick Google search says it's a test refractor (due to the orange border) valued at $1,500-$2,000. Is that for real?

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewCard.cfm/sid/2426/cid/3005434/1995-96-Topps---Mystery-Finest-M1-Michael-Jordan

http://jordancards.com/blog/1995-96-michael-jordan-refractors-parallel-cards-series-part-one-continued/3/

Disharmony fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 10, 2015

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Disharmony posted:

I was cleaning up my closet the other day and pricing my basketball card collection for a garage sale and came across this.

It's apparently a 95-96 Topps Mystery Finest Michael Jordan card #M1. A quick Google search says it's a test refractor (due to the orange border) valued at $1,500-$2,000. Is that for real?

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewCard.cfm/sid/2426/cid/3005434/1995-96-Topps---Mystery-Finest-M1-Michael-Jordan

http://jordancards.com/blog/1995-96-michael-jordan-refractors-parallel-cards-series-part-one-continued/3/

Your card looks real enough to me, but I don't know about your link's claim that "It is commonly accepted that around 50 of these cards exist", there are at least 6 of them right now on eBay for $20 or less. Maybe it would be worth it to take it to a card shop to sort out fact from exaggeration.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Any ideas on a better way to differentiate my salt & sugar bowls than my ghetto-rear end labels? Preferably something on the bowls themselves in case of a lid mix-up. :ohdear:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

terre packet posted:

Any ideas on a better way to differentiate my salt & sugar bowls than my ghetto-rear end labels? Preferably something on the bowls themselves in case of a lid mix-up. :ohdear:

Use brown sugar.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

terre packet posted:

???

Get a salt shaker. Get a different bowl. Don't keep them next to each other. Put labels on the bowls. Just some ideas.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Paint one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

terre packet posted:

Put a rubber band around one of the handles, or a ribbon if you want to be fancy.