Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theadder
Dec 30, 2011

hes goin for full 'tech' lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
posting so i can find an old post

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Share Bear posted:

i always thought "rebranding the deck chairs" was the title of this thread

*ahem*

Cold on a Cob posted:

mods rename thread to "Microsoft Titanic Status: Rebranding the Deck Chairs" tia

:colbert:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
no title it "Stack ranking the deck chairs on the Titanic"

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

is paul finally going to cover mac news

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

kalstrams posted:

yes that is south of fountain, so you havent forgotten much

why are the northern associates in the south

is this some diplomatic people's republic poo poo

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

cremnob posted:

you should ask him in a tweet

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

he blocked me

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

no title it "Stack ranking the deck chairs on the Titanic"

also a good one

i'll accept this or my suggested title change.

your move, mods

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

cremnob posted:

he blocked me

same :(

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Space-Pope posted:

im out for 6 months at least so no idea, same for some mystical xdeath block that appears to have sizeable sov

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Space-Pope posted:

from what i understand here, it looks like the "Northern Coalition" was a thing that existed in the north, but then they got dismantled by a rival alliance from the south that renamed itself "Northern Coalition." as a way to mock the guys they beat?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pinterest Mom posted:

from what i understand here, it looks like the "Northern Coalition" was a thing that existed in the north, but then they got dismantled by a rival alliance from the south that renamed itself "Northern Coalition." as a way to mock the guys they beat?
lamo at knowing anything at all about eve

kill you are self

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

im the brothers of tangra

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Space-Pope posted:

same reason the greater western co-prosperity sphere is in the northeast, i assume

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

you're not true yos if you haven't been blocked by Paul Brian Thurrott on twitter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what the gently caress is all this nerd poo poo?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
it's me

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Space-Pope posted:

narrator: they were driven from their homelands

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

it's u

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

what the gently caress is all this nerd poo poo?

nerd poo poo? in my yospos?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

prefect posted:

ML is a general-purpose functional programming language developed by Robin Milner and others in the early 1970s at the University of Edinburgh,[1] whose syntax is inspired by ISWIM.

I like how they try to blame the awful ml syntax on another language.

Shaggar posted:

oh right. I didn't think anyone liked ml enough to make that many coffee mugs for it.

the programming languages people at Carnegie Mellon loving love ML, mainly because they're the kind of programming languages people who are obsessed with types such that you can't think impure thoughts

rather than focusing on what makes languages highly usable or needs-suiting in particular situations

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sudo Echo posted:

i have a windows 1.0 mug, u jelly?

how could anyone be, you have a monument to awfulness

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

i'm really no better than anyone who watched anna nicole for watching and enjoying this type of self-destructive behaviour.

yes you are, this is not someone with diminished mental capacity flailing around in a world for which they're not prepared, this is justified comeuppance. everyone gets to see they were really just hacks all along.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

eschaton posted:

yes you are, this is not someone with diminished mental capacity flailing around in a world for which they're not prepared, this is justified comeuppance. everyone gets to see they were really just hacks all along.

not to sound like I disagree but you saw Ballmer on vine right

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

not to sound like I disagree but you saw Ballmer on vine right

I'll remind you he got a perfect score on the math portion of his SAT, at a time when that meant something

he's quite smart for a complete buffoon

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

duTrieux. posted:

microsoft is replacing bing in their new browser (codename spartan) with cortana, their personal assistant technology based on a blue naked big-titty video game character.

halo: the browser.

i think i'm going to make a new version of the microsoft branding page and replace everything with just words from the halo games. and "for workgroups"

then use this as the background music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-OhRFccpNE

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

cremnob posted:

he probably needs to appear unbiased when praising the features of the nokia surface for workgroups for home and trying to get employed at ms proper

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Main Paineframe posted:

same reason the greater western co-prosperity sphere is in the northeast, i assume

greater western co prosperity sphere are dumb space renters being oppressed by the goon master race

northern associates dot are dumber renters being oppressed by dumber masters in n3

shadow of xxxxdeathxXXXXxxX are even dumber idiots being oppressed by legion of xxxxXXXxxxXXXxxXXXXxxDEATHxxXXXxxxXXXxxxXXXx, the least incompetent (still pretty incompetent) russians living in space so worthless nobody can be bothered to conquer it

eve online: slumlords in space

oh and by the way never misunderestimate the ability of eve offline players to read the map upside down, which is why redditors ended up living right next to goons (predictably, space drama ensued)

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 9, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i used to be in xdeath, you are vastly overstating them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnLP0l-cSLY

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Korean Boomhauer posted:

he probably needs to appear unbiased when praising the features of the nokia surface for workgroups for home and trying to get employed at ms proper

i would
i mean collecting a paycheck for doing nothing is pretty swell

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Microsoft Halts Advanced Notification of Patch Tuesday Updates to Public

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ok but will they give advanced notification of when they're going to gently caress up exchange?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

hobbesmaster posted:

ok but will they give advanced notification of when they're going to gently caress up exchange?

they already sent it, you didn't get that email?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

urgent message from 2015 hobbesmaster to 1995 hobbesmaster: you hosed up by using exchange, don't do it in this timeline, also invest in AAPL, seriously, not a joke, remember that thing with the pizza we promised ourself to never talk about?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the verge has a bunch of info about Spartan. i guarantee you microsoft has a leak-based marketing strategy right now. like clockwork, things are "leaked" and released a few days later, like outlook for mac. even obscure poo poo no one cares about, like outlook for mac, or say spartan. it's pathetic because it's like they're creating a false sense of demand and importance to this info. anyway, here is the "leak"

Chief among the plans for Spartan is new inking support that allows Windows 10 users to annotate a web page with a stylus and send the notes and annotations to a friend or colleague.

well better late than never with those Courier features, i guess. sadly this is less useful than ever because the web is about ~apps~ now, not just documents. i doubt this will be useful for those. and features like this are already available through loving plugins for every browser.

While Spartan will be a Windows Store app, we understand Microsoft isn’t planning to make it a universal app initially. One version of Spartan will be available in the Store as a desktop app, and another as a modern app for tablets and phones.

two versions baby.

Microsoft is planning to use Cortana to surface information on flights, hotel bookings, package tracking, and other data within the traditional address bar.

man i thought you were joking before

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

Chief among the plans for Spartan is new inking support that allows Windows 10 users to annotate a web page with a stylus and send the notes and annotations to a friend or colleague.
I have never even once understood this use case, like if you want to change something on a web page or spreadsheet you can just change it yourself, why do you need to annotate it then hand it off to someone else to change

it's like microsoft's main justification for a stylus, "hey, you can demean your minions with e-ink instead of belittling them via email, this way instead of just copy/pasting your 'improvements' they have to read your terrible handwriting"

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
the successful video game for literal children who scream at each other over xbox live is now the bedrock of our branding strategy

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

qirex posted:

I have never even once understood this use case, like if you want to change something on a web page or spreadsheet you can just change it yourself, why do you need to annotate it then hand it off to someone else to change

the same feature exists on e-readers, i ask the same question: does anybody actually do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

qirex posted:

it's like microsoft's main justification for a stylus, "hey, you can demean your minions with e-ink instead of belittling them via email"

Saving the planet from terrible C level executives who would otherwise print out a website, scribble on it and have their admin assistant interoffice mail it to the web devs

• Locked thread