Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

MockingQuantum posted:

I actually set out on this road myself, though I've already played all of the FFs up to 12 (minus 11), so I'm only playing the DQ games for the first time.

I would say it's not necessarily a fool's errand, it may at times be a tedious errand. There's definitely some gems in there, but what I would say is that if a game becomes tedious or annoying, don't be afraid to skip it. I'd say both series improved as they went on, though you could argue for or against the most recent entries in both series. I'd hate to see someone not ever play FF4 or 6 because they couldn't stomach FF2 or 3. The first three Final Fantasies are pretty painful nowadays, but they get better:
-1 is charming but very simple
-2 is a mess in terms of mechanics
-3 is both kind of tedious and has some really unforgiving dungeons, depending on which version you'd play
-4 is pretty great, but a touch dated, I think it has some very memorable moments and characters
-5 is fun but the story doesn't really matter, it's got a pretty decent job system
-6 is personally my favorite game ever, though some people don't find it to be very engaging or it loses them at the big halfway point
-7 is 7, either you like it or you don't, but it definitely influenced everything that followed it
-8 I personally don't care for, so ask somebody else
-9 I think is one of the best incarnations of the series, it's fun, the story is decent, the characters are varied, and it probably has better pacing than most of its predecessors
-10 seems to be pretty divisive, I loved it, but it's less of a "game" than some of the earlier Final Fantasies, in a weird way.
-don't play 11.
-12 is probably my second favorite, but the story doesn't really deliver, and the mechanics are complex and the gambit system takes some work to be fun. I hear a lot of improvements were made in the International version though.
-Also it's a very different style of game, but I'd assert that you should include Final Fantasy Tactics in your list, probably somewhere around FF7 since they were released only a few months apart
I didn't plan to play 11 or 14 since they're MMORPGs. I played a little bit of 11 when it was in beta on 360 but it didn't interest me. I can't get into Destiny for the same reason, I always think online on the server or client will go down at some point (I work for a ISP) and all the effort will be meaningless.

I figure if a game didn't interest me, I could just watch a LP of the game (given FF2's reputation, this will probably be sooner than most) and move on. It helps that the FF games are mostly not connected to one another.

I'm aware of the gaiden games for both series but I was trying to limit my scope (which I bet I won't be near completing by New Year's) and thought the titles with Roman numerals would be a good demarcation point. I figure if I started at the beginning then I wouldn't try to think too much over dated mechanics since it'll be new to me anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Island Nation posted:

I'm aware of the gaiden games for both series but I was trying to limit my scope (which I bet I won't be near completing by New Year's) and thought the titles with Roman numerals would be a good demarcation point. I figure if I started at the beginning then I wouldn't try to think too much over dated mechanics since it'll be new to me anyway.

That's fair. But if you were only going to play one gaiden game, it should be FFT.

Or X-2, if you're an awesome person who likes fun.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Yeah if you don't play FFT your whole project is a sham.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

a medical mystery posted:

2 is only fun if you approach it from the angle of "how much can I break these awful lovely mechanics for my benefit"

Eh, I thought the Dawn of Souls version was reasonably playable. I wouldn't suggest anyone go out of their way for it, but if you're out to play some version of every Final Fantasy it's a good choice.

Maybe some day when I'm bored and feeling masochistic enough, I'll sit down the with the original Famicom version.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Codiekitty posted:

Eh, I thought the Dawn of Souls version was reasonably playable. I wouldn't suggest anyone go out of their way for it, but if you're out to play some version of every Final Fantasy it's a good choice.

Maybe some day when I'm bored and feeling masochistic enough, I'll sit down the with the original Famicom version.

Yeah, DoS wasn't bad. It's the only worthwhile way to play the first two games, IMHO.

And if you're going to struggle your way through a fan-translated Famicom RPG, there are way more entertaining options than FF2. Mother 1? Sweet Home?

Wait, I may have just disproved myself.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah, DoS wasn't bad. It's the only worthwhile way to play the first two games, IMHO.

And if you're going to struggle your way through a fan-translated Famicom RPG, there are way more entertaining options than FF2. Mother 1? Sweet Home?

I've already finished both of those. Sweet Home's actually one of my favorite games ever.

I want to play Lagrange Point, but I don't think it works with a PowerPak, and I'm picky like that.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

MockingQuantum posted:

Ultima had a pretty fun tactical combat-gameplay that reminded me of Fire Emblem. Other than that, there's the original Megami Tensei, that Doraemon RPG, and Fire Emblem: Gaiden.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Variant_Eris posted:

Ultima had a pretty fun tactical combat-gameplay that reminded me of Fire Emblem. Other than that, there's the original Megami Tensei, that Doraemon RPG, and Fire Emblem: Gaiden.

I know I'm very much in the minority in this thread, but speaking as someone who isn't really that into SMT/Persona games, I tried Megami Tensei and really couldn't enjoy it. But yes, Ultima's pretty decent. Never played Doraemon, and I couldn't get Fire Emblem to work for some reason.

Codiekitty posted:

I've already finished both of those. Sweet Home's actually one of my favorite games ever.

I want to play Lagrange Point, but I don't think it works with a PowerPak, and I'm picky like that.

Sweet Home is the best, and it absolutely shouldn't be, but I love it, so :hfive:

As much as Lagrange Point seems really interesting to me, I think I'm past the point where I have the patience for an NES-era RPG. I'm having trouble even keeping interested while playing Phantasy Star IV, and that's a great game.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

i bought tales of xillia and it came with tons of DLC that's basically just free levels and gold. is there any reason at all to download this. it sounds like it'll just ruin the game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Why don't you just play NEWCOMER?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/newcomer

NEWCOMER

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Budget Prefuse posted:

i bought tales of xillia and it came with tons of DLC that's basically just free levels and gold. is there any reason at all to download this. it sounds like it'll just ruin the game

yeah, just don't download it, you don't need any of it

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Cake Attack posted:

yeah, just don't download it, you don't need any of it

The Tales games are easy enough to cheese without any of that DLC stuff. At that point, the Namco-Bandai developers are just trying to mooch off of the franchise.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

SorcerousHam posted:

Man that first video would probably have to be the most boring implementation of giant robots I have ever seen in a game.

The second is more interesting, so I guess the first one is roughly a tutorial style fight?
Ya it's teaching you the target selection system from what a friend told me.

It's really nothing better than what you see in Trails in the Sky, the mech combat just bolts on a "mech parts" system where you target the parts of mech enemy and hope to hit the part that is their weakness.

I really hope nobody plays Trails games for the combat cause they are very simplistic IMO and you just break the game asap so you can mow down all the trash. I hear Ao no Kiseki 2 is a bit more challenging but I have not tried it. I kind of regret playing as much Sen no Kiseki as I did because I felt like I really missed out on not being able to read all the world building and stuff. Maybe one day it'll be in English.

In general I hear all the Kiseki sequels are always harder than their predecessors so I'm still waiting patiently for Trails in the Sky 2

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 8, 2015

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Island Nation posted:

Sorry for interrupting but I have a bit of confession to make regarding this genre:

I've pretty much neglected RPGs for almost all of years of gaming and I wanted to try to fix that this year after noticing the RPGs I've bought on sale over the last few years but never played.

What I wanted to do was go thru all the mainline SP Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games before the year was up. I've started (barely) on the first games in each franchise and plan to replace the DQ games with the Chrono series once it has been exhausted.

My question is this a fools errand or is there something to gain from this project?

I've beaten all of the mainline SP Final Fantasy games (except 13) and at least half of the Dragon Quest games. It's not worth it, and doing it back-to-back will just make it a chore instead of a wasted childhood. It would probably be more fun (and give a broader understanding of the genre) to play a major representative of each series, like playing Chrono Trigger, FFV, FFT, a Pokemon game, Dragon Quest VIII, and Xenoblade.

Unless you're an LP superstar you should never feel compelled to play a bad game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Island Nation posted:

Sorry for interrupting but I have a bit of confession to make regarding this genre:

I've pretty much neglected RPGs for almost all of years of gaming and I wanted to try to fix that this year after noticing the RPGs I've bought on sale over the last few years but never played.

What I wanted to do was go thru all the mainline SP Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games before the year was up. I've started (barely) on the first games in each franchise and plan to replace the DQ games with the Chrono series once it has been exhausted.

My question is this a fools errand or is there something to gain from this project?
There's nothing to gain by this project unless you have some great desire for seeing history in action. If that's the case, just play them for a few hours and then ditch them, or go watch some youtubes.

Really if you've neglected RPGs, just play the Good Ones that stand the test of time. For Final Fantasy games, that is probably FF6. Grab Chrono Trigger while you are in there. For Dragon Warrior games, ummmmm I'd honestly skip them all and go straight to Dragon Quest 8 but my memory is a bit fuzzy on DQ games. There's a bunch of others, so you are better off just listing the systems you have access to and what aspects of RPGs you find the most enjoyable and people can give you suggestions from there.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've been on an Atelier series binge and kind of want more. Has there been any fan translation projects for the pre-Iris games yet?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

Thank you for asking. I was going to, but I was too terrified that some company actually make a Wheel of Time JRPG.
I had no idea this existed. I did know about this, though

That's like a JRPG right? It's an RPG and WoT is anime as hell, same thing.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

MockingQuantum posted:

You're not wrong, I'm also working thru Mother as well on top on those 2. Just about to go to the zoo there. It's probably masochistic to try three at once though although I did finish Earthbound (It and Persona 4 Golden are the only RPGs I've beat to date).

Microcline posted:

I've beaten all of the mainline SP Final Fantasy games (except 13) and at least half of the Dragon Quest games. It's not worth it, and doing it back-to-back will just make it a chore instead of a wasted childhood. It would probably be more fun (and give a broader understanding of the genre) to play a major representative of each series, like playing Chrono Trigger, FFV, FFT, a Pokemon game, Dragon Quest VIII, and Xenoblade.

Unless you're an LP superstar you should never feel compelled to play a bad game.

I'm expecting a few clunkers so I'm not ruling out a LP if one or two are bad. I'm guessing a good chunk of this project will be spent watching games instead of playing if I run short on time so I can play other games that are better.

Plan is this:
Vita: FF 1 to 10-2 (except 5 & 6) and CC
NES: DQ 1-3
DS: CT, DQ 4-6 (DS slot), FF 5-6 and Mother 1 & 3 (GBA slot in original DS)
PC: FF XIII trilogy
I'll figure out the rest when I cross that bridge.

||
V Thanks for the advice.

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 9, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Already own them... and Hatoful Boyfriend... but do I want any of these other anime games? Any playable JRPGs?

If you like Hatoful Boyfriend then check out Long Live the Queen AKA anime loli death simulator. I know that sounds creepy but trust me it's not creepy.

Island Nation posted:

Dragon Quest has strangely fared better than Final Fantasy as terms of updates go. Dragon Warrior 1-2 on GBC were updated specifically to cut down on grinding and difficulty by boosting the power of your spells, tweaking the stat gains when you level, and increasing XP and gold gain from enemies. The result are two very compact little RPGs whose only weakness is that they're very simple. DW can be completed in maybe 5-10 hours at most while the second game isn't much longer.

DW3 on GBC is a solid game through and through. It's probably the best aged RPG from the 8-bit era with all the balance tweaks from the first two games.

DQ 4-6 on DS are just plain good games. DQ5 is one of the freshest stories in RPGs period.

DQ7 is rough. It's unevenly paced, really repetitive, and long as poo poo. It's not a bad game but it's my least favorite DQ game even when talking about the originals.

DQ8 is a masterpiece. You must play this.

I only played a few hours of DQ9 but I liked what I played and will finish it some day.

As for Final Fantasy...

FF1 and FF2 are best experienced on the PSP. It's basically the Dawn of Souls remake with fancier graphics and a bonus dungeon. FF1 is bare bones as hell and it's way too long for such a simplistic game. FF2 has a really trashy and broken level system but it's a pretty short and easy game. I beat it on a weekend while paying half attention to something on Netflix.

FF3 on the DS/PSN is a remake and the only way to play the original is through a translation patch. FF3 introduces the class mechanics but it's a really terribly balanced game. You're going to get wrecked multiple times, it's so unfairly designed.

FF4 has two options, a DS remake and the PSP "complete" version which contains the original updated storyline and a brand new side story. Unfortunately the complete edition is UMD only, it's not available on PSN. I'm not a huge fan of FF4 because of weird balance issues. It uses the ATB but there's a timer attached to skills so even once you wait to choose an action you have to wait again before the action actually resolves. And everyone has skills that don't scale with level so prayer heals 100hp at level 1 and 100hp at level 50 it's dumb as hell. Still, this is the game that turned heads for its story and music. A lot of people swear by this game.

FF5 and FF6 are best with the GBA version. There are patches that restore the audio to the SNES versions. FF5 goes back to the class system as FF3. Enough has been said about FF6 I don't need to say anymore.

FF7-9 can all be had on PSN. Opinions vary wildly but I think all 3 are worth experiencing.

FF10 and X-2 have the HD remakes. FF10 is one of my personal favorites. X-2 is really silly but I love the class system and will recommend it to anyone else who enjoys it.

Ignoring the MMORPGs the last FF game I played was FF12 which is only on PS2 for some reason. I loving hated this game but a lot of people praise the International edition which changes the license grid to resemble classes from the class based games. There's a patch that uses the English data for the International edition and it's a pretty game on its own so it's a commonly emulated PS2 game.

Final Fantasy Tactics is a spin off but it's a must play. The PSP version fixes the translation and if you have an emulator or hacked PSP there's a patch which fixes slowdown issues.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 9, 2015

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Island Nation posted:

I didn't plan to play 11 or 14 since they're MMORPGs.

11 was meh, but you're missing out if you don't play 14 - it's a pretty fantastic Final Fantasy game. If you don't like playing with others, outside of a handful of storyline missions, you can solo almost the entire main storyline, too.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Dr. Eldarion posted:

11 was meh, but you're missing out if you don't play 14 - it's a pretty fantastic Final Fantasy game. If you don't like playing with others, outside of a handful of storyline missions, you can solo almost the entire main storyline, too.

I know the game got better after it was fixed, I don't like paying monthly fees on anything

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Island Nation posted:

Plan is this:
DS: DQ 4-6 (DS slot), FF 5-6 and Mother 1 & 3 (GBA slot in original DS)

Since you have the DS you should really put Chrono Trigger on your list, especially as it looks like you're thinking about playing Chrono Cross too. I would say play it first because it's really a can't-miss game, but if you play it first you'll inevitably be let down by anything else so keep that in mind. Don't get Chrono Trigger on PSN because it comes with horrific load times for everything (including looking at the menu... ugh).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Island Nation posted:

You're not wrong, I'm also working thru Mother as well on top on those 2. Just about to go to the zoo there. It's probably masochistic to try three at once though although I did finish Earthbound (It and Persona 4 Golden are the only RPGs I've beat to date).

I'm expecting a few clunkers so I'm not ruling out a LP if one or two are bad. I'm guessing a good chunk of this project will be spent watching games instead of playing if I run short on time so I can play other games that are better.

Plan is this:
DS: DQ 4-6 (DS slot), FF 5-6 and Mother 1 & 3 (GBA slot in original DS)

||
V Thanks for the advice.

The DS version of FFIV is worth getting too.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Island Nation posted:

I know the game got better after it was fixed, I don't like paying monthly fees on anything

If you have a fair amount of time, you can finish it within the free month you get and cancel. That's what I did. For an MMO, it really doesn't have that much of a level grind.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
While I am enjoying Ys Origins, I personally don't see why some people rank the series up with the likes of Final Fantasy and Legend of Heroes. It seems like a very above average series so far.

Nihilarian posted:

I had no idea this existed. I did know about this, though

That's like a JRPG right? It's an RPG and WoT is anime as hell, same thing.

Offtopic, but I'm sort of interested in getting into the Wheel of Time series. I enjoy the Lord of the Rings so I decided to read Game of Thrones, but got so bored with it a few chapters in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

While I am enjoying Ys Origins, I personally don't see why some people rank the series up with the likes of Final Fantasy and Legend of Heroes. It seems like a very above average series so far.

Offtopic, but I'm sort of interested in getting into the Wheel of Time series. I enjoy the Lord of the Rings so I decided to read Game of Thrones, but got so bored with it a few chapters in.

WoT is... you really have to be willing to accept its poo poo, including a thoroughly unlikeable and yet utterly Author's Fanfiction Character protagonist. It works for some people but I got three books in before I couldn't take anymore.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dr. Eldarion posted:

If you have a fair amount of time, you can finish it within the free month you get and cancel. That's what I did. For an MMO, it really doesn't have that much of a level grind.
Every major patch adds more storyline though. And new dungeons (Including hard modes of existing dungeons which aren't just the dungeon with bigger numbers, layout and enemies and poo poo change, along with the reason you're going there), new side-story stuff, and so on.

It's pretty great.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
^I'm comfortable being a man but I do admit that improvement is needed^

The Ninth Layer posted:

Since you have the DS you should really put Chrono Trigger on your list, especially as it looks like you're thinking about playing Chrono Cross too. I would say play it first because it's really a can't-miss game, but if you play it first you'll inevitably be let down by anything else so keep that in mind. Don't get Chrono Trigger on PSN because it comes with horrific load times for everything (including looking at the menu... ugh).

I'd overlook it when writing but I meant to put it there for DS. It'd be rather silly to play Chrono Cross first before Chrono Trigger.

As for the other comments, The vita would cover FF IV (and III) and while I could remote stream FF XIV to the vita from a PS4, I don't live in a home friendly to video games which is why I was mostly confining myself to portable consoles. I wasn't sure how well the GBC handled the first 3 Dragon Quests so I wrote NES.

V Good to know V

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 9, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The GBC DQ games were really good.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

You might find the first book to be fairly familiar, then. :v:

I like the series (and I don't find Rand to be thoroughly unlikable, myself) but it does get rough around the middle, probably due to the author's declining health. Assuming you enjoy the first few books it picks up again in the double digits and stays good to the end (though, since the last 3 books are written by someone else after the original author's death, expect some stylistic differences).

I'm pretty sure the ttrpg is rear end, btw. Been a while since I looked at it, but I'm pretty sure it's based on D&D 3.0, which is even more hosed than 3.5 and has none of the interesting poo poo that came out at the tail end of 3.5. Come to think of it, you'd probably be better off just using Tome of Battle and Psionics if you want to play a Wheel of Time game. Eh.

Island Nation posted:

I'd overlook it when writing but I meant to put it there for DS. It'd be rather silly to play Chrono Cross first before Chrono Trigger.
Less silly if all you have access to is the playstation version with the horrible load times. Urgh. I should probably try Chrono Trigger again myself. How much does the DS version go for these days?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

punk rebel ecks posted:

If you thought GoT was too long winded and boring WoT is not for you. Try Steven Erikson's 'Malazan Book of the Fallen' series if you want good fantasy where stuff actually happens, I'll add a warning that it's almost relentlessly depressing and grimdark though.

Edit: Book Barn thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393708

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 9, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I like dogs.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Is WoT the one with like an evil chicken?

what am i thinking of here?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Cake Attack posted:

That's Sword of Truth.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Someone answer this question. I have no idea what Cake Attack is talking about, but I really feel like I need to know the answer too. If Wheel of Time has an evil chicken, I might just read it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

so here's prospector roguelike

i met "famous entertainer george brewer" and bought a lot of george brewer stuff

these loving aliens are phillistines

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MockingQuantum posted:

Someone answer this question. I have no idea what Cake Attack is talking about, but I really feel like I need to know the answer too. If Wheel of Time has an evil chicken, I might just read it.

This is the answer. That's the Sword of Truth series. It's absolutely abhorrent, avoid at all costs.

(I like WoT but it has weak spots. It ends well though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
me not food