Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
"Cautious Dwarf Paladin from a carnival freak show who distrusts all authority", now there's a way to avoid the usual paladin stereotypes. Though "cold Dragonborn Cleric from the grave diggers union who is a recovering cannibal" spawns some horrible ideas ("First he raises them, then he braises them!").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013
"Anxious dragonborn sorcerer from a cavern without echoes who doesn't believe in magic, ever."

I guess he'd call the vancian nature of spells in D&D physics and be an empiromancer?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Daetrin posted:

I guess he'd call the vancian nature of spells in D&D physics and be an empiromancer?

I'd play it like

<Blows up 12 orcs with fireball> IT'S A PERFECTLY EXPLAINABLE NATURAL PHENOMENON!

<Shoots lightning bolts into orc bodyguard's face> OH LOOK ANOTHER ONE HOW FASCINATING!

<Causes tentacles to erupt from ground around boss orc> I WONDER WHAT CONFLUENCE OF GEOBIOLOGICAL OCCURRENCES CAUSED THAT?

<Turns orc boss to stone> OH LOOK HE FOSSILISED AT INCREDIBLE SPEEDS I WONDER HOW THAT OCCURRED I'M SURE IT WAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE UNUSUAL BUT TOTALLY EXPLICABLE WEATHER AND TENTACLES WE'VE BEEN HAVING RECENTLY!

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 9, 2015

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Laphroaig posted:

Oh man it rolled me up a rad necromancer immediately, I can recommend this for the true powergamers of 5E:

FRANK HUMAN WIZARD FROM A SMALL TOWN TAVERN WHO WAS RAISED BY GHOSTS

How was a tavern raised by ghosts?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Daetrin posted:

"Anxious dragonborn sorcerer from a cavern without echoes who doesn't believe in magic, ever."

Instead of forgetting the spells after casting them, he forgets the fact that he cast them.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
SASSY HALFLING BARD FROM A HABERDASHERY WHO WANTS TO BE FAMOUS, NO MATTER WHAT!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

drat thing is a dangling participle generator!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

COLD HUMAN PALADIN FROM A HAUNTED CASTLE WHO WAS BROUGHT UP TO BE A LIBRARIAN

This is the greatest thing.

Also, I rolled a goon:

HATEFUL HALFLING FIGHTER FROM THE FOREST OF SADNESS WHO GREW UP FAT

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Considering these two guys for a campaign. Dwarven monk, with a drunken master style...or tiefling paladin with shades of don Quixote.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

theironjef posted:

How was a tavern raised by ghosts?

The raise tavern spell, duh.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
OBNOXIOUS ELF MONK FROM A TINY VILLAGE WHO HAS ANGER PROBLEMS

...but that's how I play ALL my monks.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Doodmons posted:

http://www.pathguy.com/ddnext.htm will get you an HTML page with all your information on. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but I successfully used it to gen a 20th level druid for a one-shot and it worked fine for that, so it's pretty robust.

Oh gosh, Path Guy :allears:

He's still doing the delightfully wonky character generators. And being super upbeat about every edition as well.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
"Intolerant Dragonborn Fighter from the city post office who deserted the army"

Perfect, the army would never think to look for me in a different government office!

edit;

"Check this poo poo out, I'm going to be a loving

Machiavellian Half-elf Fighter from an unpure bloodline who has a bad gambling problem"

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 9, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mewnie posted:

Oh gosh, Path Guy :allears:

He's still doing the delightfully wonky character generators. And being super upbeat about every edition as well.

Huh, this actually is really comprehensive and cool.

pre:
Strength	17	(+3)
Dexterity	17	(+3)
Constitution	17	(+3)
Intelligence	12	(+1)
Wisdom	16	(+3)
Charisma	17	(+3)
I rolled really really well

And the rest http://pastebin.com/bgraTDbd

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Chaltab posted:

"Intolerant Dragonborn Fighter from the city post office who deserted the army"

Perfect, the army would never think to look for me in a different government office!

edit;

"Check this poo poo out, I'm going to be a loving

Machiavellian Half-elf Fighter from an unpure bloodline who has a bad gambling problem"

What if the postal service is also the army? :ohdear:

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
"Talented Halfling Monk from the slave fighting pits who was left out of their fathers will."

Yeah, ok, that sounds like it could be a lot of fun. In 4e, I guess, because I'm not sure how many other D&D's (or other fantasy rpg's) have fun to play monks.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

gradenko_2000 posted:

pre:
Strength	17	(+3)
Dexterity	17	(+3)
Constitution	17	(+3)
Intelligence	12	(+1)
Wisdom	16	(+3)
Charisma	17	(+3)
I rolled really really well

14,7,8,16,12,6 on 4d6 drop lowest? Even on the internet, I roll terribly. :arghfist::mad:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I'm sure this has been asked a fuckton before, but hey the OP really loving sucks (you should fix this), anyway is there a bullet point list of how D&D 5e is different from 4e?

I started playing back in 3.5 and enjoyed it but hated a lot of it. I fell in love with 4e, though I can recognize that the system is not without its flaws. Some of my wife's classmates recently found out that I used to DM and are wanting me to start out a group. I'll probably be 4e since I have a massive stack of materials for it, but I'd like to keep an open mind and learn about 5e.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not recommending the below to be put into the OP, but just as an attempt to describe the game:

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's a heavily modified version of 3.5e that gets rid of some of the jankiest aspects of that game like:

* tons and tons of CharOp/multiclassing/prestige-classing
* Touch Attacks and other BAB tomfoolery
* item wishlisting / Wealth-by-level
* buff stacking
* feat bloat (at least for now)
* small incremental bonus bloat (morale bonus vs reflex bonus vs untyped bonus, etc)
* Martials outside of Tome of Battle or multiclassing literally have nothing to do except full attack

You could almost call it Dungeons and Dragons: Mike Mearls' 3.5e Houserules Edition

1. Character building is easier - there's less stats to keep in mind, and more-or-less the only decisions characters need to make are their class progression tracks at level 3 and their spells.

2. Monster creation is theoretically easier since you have a chart of expected stats by CR (and goon Sanglorian has made it even easier), but how well this will translate into a fight against the players is up in the air because class design and math isn't as tight as it was in, say, 4E.

3. Combat is objectively quicker at low levels because of a sheer lack of options. As you progress past level 4 or so, everyone starts getting toys to play with. We don't really have a lot of in-depth insight to what happens - some people say combat remains quick, but only because rocket-tagging starts coming into play. Some people say combat starts getting slower as classes start getting more/as many powers as they would have in 4E, especially the casters having to pick through spells.

Basic concept - Attributes

You have 6 attributes, Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Wisdom, Intelligence, Charisma.

You have 6 attribute scores: 15/+2, 14/+2, 13/+1, 12/+1, 10/0 and 8/-1. The number to the right of the slash is the attribute modifier, and is the one thing you will have to remember 99% of the time.
Assign one score to each of the 6 attributes, keeping in mind the kind of character you want to be. A Fighter will have to be strong, a Rogue will have to be dexterous, a Wizard will have to be intelligent, and so on.

Basic concept - Proficiency

This is a bonus that starts out at +2 at level 1 and increases by 1 at levels 5, 9, 13 and 17. This is important because it will get added to just about everything you do

Non-combat task resolution

There are 18 different skills in the game, each of them tied to one of the six attributes. Selecting a Class will make you Proficient in 4 skills. Selecting a Background will make you Proficient in 2 more.
When you want to do a thing that is important and/or has a chance of failure and carries an element of risk, roll a d20, add the modifier for the most relevant attribute, and also add your Proficiency bonus if you are Proficient in the corresponding skill. Meet or beat a number set by the DM, known as the Difficulty Check or DC, to succeed.

For example, breaking down a door requires strength, so you would add your Strength attribute modifier. If you were a Fighter, you would be exceptionally skilled at breaking down doors, so you add your Proficiency bonus of +2 as well. If it's a weak door, maybe you only need to get a final result of 8 to break it down. If it's a steel door, maybe you'll need a 15.

Basic Combat Resolution

When you want to attack, roll a d20, add your STR or DEX modifier, and also your Proficiency bonus. Meet or beat the AC of the target to hit, then roll damage dice to deal damage.

Basic Spellcasting

If the spell description classifies it as a "spell attack", then it's actually like a physical/normal attack, except you add your spellcasting attribute (INT, WIS or CHA depending on class) instead of STR or DEX, but you're still aiming to beat the target's AC.

If the spell description refers to a saving throw, then you cast the spell with a DC of (8+Proficiency+Spellcasting Attribute Modifier). The target then has to make a saving throw of (d20+Attribute Modifier). If the target is Proficient in the saving throw for that attribute (every class is Proficient in two out of the six), then the target gets to add their Proficiency bonus to the saving throw as well. They need to meet or beat your DC.

That's basically it. The rest of the specifics are in the Basic Rules.

gradenko_2000 posted:

You get movement, a Normal Action, a Bonus Action, and a Reaction

A. x squares worth of movement, average is 6 squares (30 feet) - the big gimmick is that you don't have to take all your movement at once. It's like a meter you run down - you can move 2 squares, take a Normal Action, move another 2 squares, take a Bonus Action, and then move another 2 squares, as long your total movement for the turn doesn't exceed your Speed

B. Normal Action - things you can do with a Normal Action:

1. Attack - does what it says on the tin. If you're one of the classes that has Extra Attacks, this represents all of them. Note that some abilities either replace the whole Attack action, or just one of the attacks from it, or even are a rider on one of the attacks and doesn't replace any of them at all
2. Cast a Spell - self-explanatory
3. Dash - increases your movement by your Speed, effectively letting you move twice as far
4. Disengage - movement will not provoke Opportunity Attacks. Note that there is no "Shift" action in Next. In 4E, you could shift 1 square and then attack. In Next, you can move as far as your speed, but preventing OAs replaces being able to attack.
5. Dodge - Advantage on DEX saves. Attacks against you have Disadvantage on the attack roll.
6. Grapple - Make a STR(Athletics) check opposed by the target's STR(Athletics) or DEX(Acrobatics) check. If you roll higher, you Grapple the target
7. Escape Grapple - Make a STR(Athletics) or DEX(Acrobatics) check opposed by the target's STR(Athletics) check. If you roll higher, you are no longer Grappled
8. Help - Give Advantage to an ally's ability check or attack roll
9. Hide - Make a DEX(Stealth) check against a set DC. If you succeed, you become hidden
10. Shove - Make a STR(Athletics) check opposed by the target's STR(Athletics) or DEX(Acrobatics) check. If you roll higher, the target will either be knocked Prone or will have to move back 5 feet/1 square.
11. Ready Action - declare an action you want to take based on a trigger, and declare what the trigger will be. If the trigger happens on any other character's turn, you perform the action. This will consume your 1 Reaction per round
12. Most everything else as improvised by the player, such as searching an area, trying to heal an unconscious ally, using an object, etc.

C. Bonus Action - abilities specify if they are to be used as Bonus Actions. One example of a standard Bonus Action is attacking with your off-hand weapon if you are dual-wielding. Since you only have 1 Bonus Action, if you have multiple abilities that need to be used as Bonus Actions, you can only use one of them.

D. Reaction - abilities specify if they can be used as Reactions. One example of a standard Reaction is an Opportunity Attack, which is a basic melee attack roll whenever someone leaves your reach. The difference between this and a Normal Action to Ready an Action is that this can only be used with specific abilities that specify their usability as Reactions, whereas a Readied Action can be anything (at the expense of the player having to anticipate ahead of time what that action will be, and what will trigger it)

Relative to 4th Edition:

* Fast Monster creation and balanced encounter creation is pretty much objectively worse
* Some classes have significantly less options, others have significantly more. The entire AEDU model of 4E has been thrown out. It's like 3.5E with the martials classes getting crippled Tome of Battle handouts
* Skill checks are simpler
* Loot treadmill is pretty much completely gone, unless you choose to reimplement it
* Feat bloat is gone
* The movement and action mechanics of the game still heavily demands playing on a grid
* The math-tightness/balance of 4E's tactical combat is gone

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 9, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not recommending the below to be put into the OP, but just as an attempt to describe the game:

:eng101::words:

Thank you so much, this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. It seems interesting enough, my hesitation is just how untested everything seems beyond about level 5. One thing I do really like is being able to use your move throughout the turn instead of all at once. I might houserule that into my 4e game. And yeah, that totally should be in the OP.

quote:

* Loot treadmill is pretty much completely gone, unless you choose to reimplement it

Could you elaborate on this more?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Magic items are described as optional. As far as I can tell, you won't need them in order to just keep up with being able to hit/damage higher level monsters (ie, the "flat math" means that you will never need a magic weapon to keep your to-hit number acceptable).

That said, plenty of monsters seem to be immune to non magical weapons. I guess make sure you ignore that trait if you decide to use the "optional magic items" option.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

Magic items are described as optional. As far as I can tell, you won't need them in order to just keep up with being able to hit/damage higher level monsters (ie, the "flat math" means that you will never need a magic weapon to keep your to-hit number acceptable).

That said, plenty of monsters seem to be immune to non magical weapons. I guess make sure you ignore that trait if you decide to use the "optional magic items" option.

Ah, I guess that basically means that the "Proficiency" bonus mentioned is basically like intrinsic bonuses that 4e introduced with Dark Sun?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Basic concept - Proficiency

This is a bonus that starts out at +2 at level 1 and increases by 1 at levels 5, 9, 13 and 17. This is important because it will get added to just about everything you do

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mordiceius posted:

4E monster stats went up by 1 every level.
4E player stats went up by 0.5 every level.
You were supposed to make up the difference via items (and feats and other things, but mostly items)

In Next, player attack scales at the same rate as monster AC, so you do not need +1/+2/+3 weapons unless, as AlphaDog said, you're going to enforce monsters that need +1 or better weapons to be hit.

Monster attack versus player AC doesn't might not scale correctly. I say it might not be ok because a "tabula rasa" character will cap out at 18 AC by level 4 once they get their best armor, but proficiency does not add to AC, so it doesn't scale, but monster attack is increasing, so by the higher levels that character will get hit more and more often. You need 1 additional AC every 3 levels starting at +1 (19 AC) by level 5 and capping out at +5 (23 AC) by level 17+

I say it might be ok because with a combination of class abilities and spells, it's possible to hit 23 AC even if you don't have have bonuses from magical armor and whatever battle tactics you implement during combat regardless.

Mordiceius posted:

Ah, I guess that basically means that the "Proficiency" bonus mentioned is basically like intrinsic bonuses that 4e introduced with Dark Sun?

Yes. Another way to look at it is:

4E monster stats went up by 1 every level
4E player stats went up by 0.5 every level

5E monster stats go up by 1 every 3 levels
5E player stats went up by 1 every 3 levels
(except proficiency doesn't apply to AC, so that's the wonkiness I'm describing earlier in this post)

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 9, 2015

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Proficiency is more like 4E's level/2 for attack, defense, and skill improvement.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Wow, so all I know about 5e is what I've read from those posts, but it really feels like the game was developed for levels 1-4 and then WotC said "welp, extend it to 20, who knows what will happen."

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mordiceius posted:

Wow, so all I know about 5e is what I've read from those posts, but it really feels like the game was developed for levels 1-4 and then WotC said "welp, extend it to 20, who knows what will happen."

I think that's pretty accurate from what we've seen so far.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
While it's true that you can pull off "equal scaling for monsters and players so that the loot treadmill isn't necessary" (I mean, that is what Inherent Bonuses already are), stretching out the scaling from 1 every level to 1 every third level has the benefit of not needing to come up with skill check DCs that re-adjust every level.

There's a single number in Next for Easy, Medium or Hard tasks, and they can afford to pull that off because a Hard task only becomes 20% easier as the player gets to the final tier of the game, as compared to becoming 85% easier in a per-level scaling model.

What I cannot defend though is that character levels 1 through 3 were deliberately designed to be the Shitfarmer tier where you only have one ability, if any. "Earning your fun" is a concept that needs to die in a fire (or realistically be kept to its own niche/variant rule)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

where you only have one ability, if any.

What.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

If I set aside all of the passive abilities and all of the generic combat actions, these are all of the activated abilities that each class gets at level 1:

Barbarian Abilities
Rage: Activate as a Bonus Action on your turn. You have Advantage on STR ability checks and STR saving throws. You gain +2 damage on all melee attacks that use STR. You have Resistance to bludgeoning, slashing and piercing damage. This lasts for 1 minute/10 rounds. Can be used once every Long Rest.

Bard Abilities
Level 1 Spell Slot
Level 1 Spell Slot
Bardic Inspiration: Activate as a Bonus Action on your turn. Give a friendly ally a d6 Inspiration Die, which the ally can consume to add to the result of an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. Only one Inspiration Die can be held by an ally at a time. Can be used 4 times (equal to CHA) every Long Rest.

Cleric Abilities
Level 1 Spell Slot
Level 1 Spell Slot

Druid Abilities
Level 1 Spell Slot
Level 1 Spell Slot

Fighter Abilities
Second Wind: Activate as a Bonus Action on your turn. Gain [d10 + level] HP. Can be used once every Short Rest or Long Rest.

Monk Abilities
Unarmed Strike: Activate as a Bonus Action on your turn, after using the Attack action. You can make an Unarmed attack.

Paladin Abilities
Divine Sense: Activate as a Bonus Action on your turn. Until the end of your next turn, you can sense the location of any celestials, fiends, or undead within 60 feet, as well as any places or objects that have been consecrated or desecrated. Can be used 5 times (equal to 1+CHA) every Long Rest.
Lay-on Hands: Activate as a Normal Action on your turn. You have Healing Points equal to [level * 5]. You can touch yourself or a target to heal them for up to however many Healing Points you want, where one Point restores one HP. You can also use 5 Points to remove a disease and/or a poison. You can remove multiple diseases and poisons in a single use, as long as you pay the total cost in Points. All Healing Points are restored every Long Rest.

Ranger Abilities
Favored Enemy: Choose a type of creature from the list below. You have Advantage on WIS ability checks to track them and INT ability checks to learn/recall information about them. You can speak their language.
Natural Explorer: Choose a terrain type from the list below. When you make a WIS or INT ability check related to the terrain and your Proficiency applies, your Proficiency bonus is doubled. When traveling through the terrain, your party is not slowed by difficult terrain, your party cannot get lost, you are always alert to danger, you can forage twice as much food, and you gain more detail when tracking creatures. You personally can move stealthily through the terrain at a normal pace.
(Technically these are both passive abilities, but if I removed them, and I already removed Favored Enemy, the Ranger would literally have nothing)

Rogue Abilities
Sneak Attack: If you hit an enemy while you had Advantage on the attack roll, you deal an additional 1d6 damage. This also applies if an active friendly is within 5 feet of your target, and you do not have Disadvantage on the attack roll.

Sorcerer Abilities
Level 1 Spell Slot
Level 1 Spell Slot
Wild Magic: whenever you cast a non-Cantrip spell, roll a d20. On a 1, a Wild Magic Surge happens, causing a random effect (as in the Wild Magic Surge table)
Tides of Chaos: Activate this at any time to gain Advantage on a single attack roll, ability check, or saving throw. Can be used once every Long Rest. If you have already used Tides of Chaos, the DM may choose to make you have a Wild Magic Surge after you cast a non-Cantrip spell, which will then allow Tides of Chaos to be used again.

Warlock Abilities
1 Spell Slot (Warlock spell slots are restored every Short Rest or Long Rest)

Wizard Abilities
Level 1 Spell Slot
Level 1 Spell Slot
Arcane Recovery: You recover spell slots equal to half your Wizard level or less, every Short Rest

===

Now obviously the classes will earn more*, especially when they get out of the Shitfarmer tier at level 4, and obviously it's step up from "I full attack" of 3rd Edition. But I think the difference is stark enough.

* One exception is the Champion Archetype of the Fighter, which you can see in the Basic Rules literally does not get any additional combat interactions beyond the generic actions all the way to level 20.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's like megaman, except the first three levels you punch things instead of using your gun.

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012
To expand on what others have said, I think the intention was to push back a bunch of the neat stuff so that classes aren't so front loaded, so that multiclassing is less attractive than it was in 3.X. Now you need a 3-level dip to get all the cool stuff out of a noncaster class instead of 1.

Whether they succeeded in their goal is pretty debatable.

Also I would argue that if you don't want people making crazy Frankenstein builds from a dozen different classes then 3.X style multiclassing is probably a bad idea to begin with, but...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Masiakasaurus posted:

To expand on what others have said, I think the intention was to push back a bunch of the neat stuff so that classes aren't so front loaded, so that multiclassing is less attractive than it was in 3.X. Now you need a 3-level dip to get all the cool stuff out of a noncaster class instead of 1.

The way to achieve that is to give classes at least one cool unique feature per level, not a ton of dead levels.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

AlphaDog posted:

To-hit might not need magic items to keep up, but I'm pretty sure the math nerds in the thread showed that TTK rises significantly as level goes up without them, even counting things like extra attacks and maneuvers.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Holy poo poo, Path Guy :swoon:

That website was how I found out about Planescape in middle school.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

AlphaDog posted:

Has anyone else here ever just houseruled that monsters which can only be hit by +1 weapons just take half-damage from non-magic weapons instead?

I mean, the better solution is to just not throw them against a party that isn't all equipped with some kind of magic weapon so that no one is left with a dead/useless turn in combat, but at that point why even mention its non-magic weapon immunity in the first place if it never comes up?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

SwitchbladeKult posted:

It depends. Is the archer standing out in the open in an empty field? Maybe running past the fighter wound be the best option for the hobgoblin. What if the archer is 200 yards away?
The gently caress kind of Dungeon are you playing in?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ImpactVector posted:

To-hit might not need magic items to keep up, but I'm pretty sure the math nerds in the thread showed that TTK rises significantly as level goes up without them, even counting things like extra attacks and maneuvers.

IIRC those were compared against the Basic Rules or playtest packet monsters, which are all over the place.

Using the stats-by-CR table on the DMG, which is more consistent, and a Fighter with a standard array, a 2d6 weapon and with no archetypal abilities except extra attacks:

pre:
Level  1 Fighter vs CR  1 monster: 13.90 rounds to kill
steady increase
Level  4 Fighter vs CR  4 monster: 19.80 rounds to kill (this is as bad as it ever gets)
Level  5 Fighter vs CR  5 monster: 11.11 rounds to kill (the Fighter gets an additional attack)
steady increase
Level 10 Fighter vs CR 10 monster: 15.64 rounds to kill
Level 11 Fighter vs CR 11 monster: 11.16 rounds to kill (another additional attack)
Level 12 Fighter vs CR 12 monster: 10.93 rounds to kill (STR or DEX gets to 20 with the full +5 modifier to damage)
steady increase
Level 19 Fighter vs CR 19 monster: 15.65 rounds to kill
Level 20 Fighter vs CR 20 monster: 12.75 rounds to kill (the final extra attack)
And then of course actual abilities, spells and battle tactics will whittle this down even further, but it does seem like the baselines don't get out of hand too much except, again, for the shitfarmer tier.

What does stand out is that the rounds-to-kill values are so very high in the first place, but that might be because a party isn't supposed to encounter an equal number of creatures with CR equal to their level in the first place.

A Medium encounter for four level 9's would be something like one CR 5 and three CR 2s, and the RTK against the CR 5 would be 9.35, which seems a lot more reasonable once you factor in things like focus-fire and everything else.

Bob Quixote posted:

Has anyone else here ever just houseruled that monsters which can only be hit by +1 weapons just take half-damage from non-magic weapons instead?

I mean, the better solution is to just not throw them against a party that isn't all equipped with some kind of magic weapon so that no one is left with a dead/useless turn in combat, but at that point why even mention its non-magic weapon immunity in the first place if it never comes up?

If you play 5E as close to RAW as possible, including random item drop tables, then theoretically the party's martials are going to come across +1 weapons before the first "need magical to hit" monsters show up, so it's not supposed to be an issue in that regard unless you're also following the tables so blindly that you throw ghosts against a party that just happened to roll unluckily on the random tables in the first place.

Anyway, yeah, "need magical to hit" monsters are I would wager almost always houseruled: they either don't show up at all until the party is appropriately equipped (including telling the party that they need to look for such weapons), or like your idea that it's resistance to damage instead of immunity, or the monster just has more HP/AC or something, or they're just hittable with any weapon regardless with no compensating increase anywhere else.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 9, 2015

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Jackard posted:

The gently caress kind of Dungeon are you playing in?

How far back did you quote this from?

gradenko_2000 posted:

IIRC those were compared against the Basic Rules or playtest packet monsters, which are all over the place.

Using the stats-by-CR table on the DMG, which is more consistent, and a Fighter with a standard array, a 2d6 weapon and with no archetypal abilities except extra attacks:

Thing is though, unless you make all your own monsters, aren't you going to be using the Monster Manual or Basic Rules monsters far more often than ones you generated yourself? Isn't that the entire point of buying a Monster Manual in the first place?

Gort fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 9, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

Thing is though, unless you make all your own monsters, aren't you going to be using the Monster Manual or Basic Rules monsters far more often than ones you generated yourself? Isn't that the entire point of buying a Monster Manual in the first place?

Well yes, but the MM monsters are pretty poo poo, so you do have to make your own monsters to get any consistency out of your encounters ... except the monster creation rules are also poo poo ... and really the whole encounter/monster creation part of Next is one of its weakest parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Maybe they'll re-write the Monster Manual to take into account the monster creation rules at some point.