Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

T1g4h posted:

Oh my god, I hope this ends up actually happening.

They shitcanned the Aerovette concept, let this finally be a thing. Hell, call it the Fiero for all I care, just make it happen :allears:

:psypop:

I don't believe it, even though that's pretty much the only thing it could be. Clearly a Corvette greenhouse flanked by a Holden Ute body for the test mule. gently caress, build it just like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't believe it, even though that's pretty much the only thing it could be. Clearly a Corvette greenhouse flanked by a Holden Ute body for the test mule. gently caress, build it just like that.

Right? Mid engine V8 ute with massive fender flares would be loving rad.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Holy hell Miatas do not like cold weather.

Cruuuunkcruuuuunkcruuuuuunkcruuunkvrooorattlerattlerattlerattlerattle

I apparently need new gear oil in the tranny too because the first few 1-2 shifts grind like hell unless I double clutch.

Weather chat. :v:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I rather just have a Holden Ute HSV.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So I was browsing autotrader and find this nearby:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201412279834552

:catstare: I mean, how bad could it be? :catstare:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

T1g4h posted:

Oh my god, I hope this ends up actually happening.

They shitcanned the Aerovette concept, let this finally be a thing. Hell, call it the Fiero for all I care, just make it happen :allears:

It's a Fiero.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cat Terrist posted:

All those temeratures well below 0C and people wonder why I prefer a place that feels like nuclear fire in summer. Cold? gently caress that!

Well below 0C? Heh, well below 0F... I'm envious of your heat.

Cakefool posted:

Oh god. Back when those were new, Lexus had a comparo that I went to -- they had all the current mid-level competitors from Benz, BMW, Lexus, Jaaaaag, something else that I forget. You could drive them any way you wanted to in a huge stadium lot. The Benz was surprisingly the most fun of the bunch, but that Jaaag... it was horrid. That model was based on the global chassis that we got in the US as the Ford Contour... and it was every bit as bad as a Contour. We used to see them pretty frequently here and I always pointed out the Contour Jaags because they were so obviously badge-modified only.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 8, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Cakefool posted:

Thats a nice looking sonata.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Well below 0C? Heh, well below 0F... I'm envious of your heat.

Oh god. Back when those were new, Lexus had a comparo that I went to -- they had all the current mid-level competitors from Benz, BMW, Lexus, Jaaaaag, something else that I forget. You could drive them any way you wanted to in a huge stadium lot. The Benz was surprisingly the most fun of the bunch, but that Jaaag... it was horrid. That model was based on the global chassis that we got in the US as the Ford Contour... and it was every bit as bad as a Contour. We used to see them pretty frequently here and I always pointed out the Contour Jaags because they were so obviously badge-modified only.

Um excuse me I'll have you know that the countour svt compares very favorably to the e36 m3

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Are they really that bad? Oh well, makes me feel better about not being able to get another car right now.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I've considered a contour based jag just because awd. Other than that it seems pretty god awful. Luckily, itdiots dump em quick because they thing furing cars!!!!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup, I'm sold on it just looking like that. I soooooooooooooo want a silly ute pickup.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cat Terrist posted:

All those temeratures well below 0C and people wonder why I prefer a place that feels like nuclear fire in summer. Cold? gently caress that!

Um, yeah. I'm OK with Texas' 104F summers. It's 38F here now, and that's plenty cold, especially with the more-than-brisk wind we got last night (when it was 27 or so, as well.) You can keep your sub-zero, thank you.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Turns out someone in Leicester owns a LWB Vauxhall Frontera painted up int the Jurassic Park Ford Explorer colours. :iia:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

rscott posted:

Um excuse me I'll have you know that the countour svt compares very favorably to the e36 m3

I'll have to take another look at the E36 M3, I never noticed that they were plastic rattleboxes that felt like they were going to fall apart at any moment.

(I have looked at the SVT Contour on the used market, they're interesting for what they are, but they are not comparable to anything of quality, except for straight-line performance... and maybe the number of wheels they have.)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

I'll have to take another look at the E36 M3, I never noticed that they were plastic rattleboxes that felt like they were going to fall apart at any moment.
That sounds like half the early E36s I've seen at the cheap end of the market.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You guys don't remember that thread a few years back when someone claimed that very thing?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

That sounds like half the early E36s I've seen at the cheap end of the market.

I don't think the comparison was meant as a current one, because while there are E36s still on the road, all the Contours have thankfully been returned to their base metals by now.

rscott posted:

You guys don't remember that thread a few years back when someone claimed that very thing?

Dear god, I didn't... I think I'd remember such moon-eyed nonsense.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm biased, because I think E36s are rubbish.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
I'm supposed to be outside painting right now, but it's sleeting at quarter-to-1-am so i've stopped. Wimp.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I'm biased, because I think E36s are rubbish.

they make good donors for swaps to E30s :v:

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Guys it warmed up to -17c / feels like -30 today.

Quityerbitchin

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Wifey decides to spend the evening playing Oregon Trail.

hahahaha so its like a normal day!

I poo poo myself to death. NICE.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I had to wear pants today because it's cold, wtf is going on.

At least I didn't poo poo myself to death I guess.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I guess you could say this poo poo has run amok... :haw:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My workday has turned into:
10am: Arrive and make tea/coffee.
10:30-12pm: Email, FB/Reddit/SA/Geek stuff
12-2pm: Lunch
2-4pm: Youtube
4-6pm: Counterstrike with coworkers on "unofficial company server".
Or
4pm: Go home.

Uggggg. I need motivation to get some certs/do something other then add/remove (more likely remove) accounts and fix basic BS.

Easy paychecks are actually a terrible thing, when you and your coworkers don't care anymore.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

the spyder posted:

My workday has turned into:
10am: Arrive and make tea/coffee.
10:30-12pm: Email, FB/Reddit/SA/Geek stuff
12-2pm: Lunch
2-4pm: Youtube
4-6pm: Counterstrike with coworkers on "unofficial company server".
Or
4pm: Go home.

Uggggg. I need motivation to get some certs/do something other then add/remove (more likely remove) accounts and fix basic BS.

Easy paychecks are actually a terrible thing, when you and your coworkers don't care anymore.

I wish I had this problem.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
You really don't, because it is completely demotivating and hard to pull away from when it matters.

Having said that, reponut is a recent channel interest. And my list of shacktac players is growing as well. Sigh.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Found out I've got a SIX DOLLAR GODDAMNED RAISE, as of next month
Wow, so you can actually make decent money at this poo poo. Was having my doubts after 2 years of making less than I was doing tires. Also gently caress my old service manager in the rear end with a rake, I was supposed to have this ten months ago but he deferred and hosed up my apprenticeship papers in about 6 different ways before quitting and leaving his replacement to clear it all up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The idiot who wrote the codebase I am presently working on really needs to take a flying gently caress at a mile of burning dicks. And then drown. In a toilet. A toilet that's on fire.

It's put together all backwards and wrong and upside down and I just triggered 100 compile errors and a couple dozen multiply defined symbol linker errors by changing the order two header files are included in. Rube Goldsbergian isn't even half the story here.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Yep, I left my old job because of this. I was getting paid really well to watch Netflix and play minecraft with goons. But after busting my rear end for 6 years to get a doctorate I felt like I was wasting my potential and losing a lot of knowledge that I'm still paying for.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

the spyder posted:

Go do oxygen sensors and heatercores on B5 platforms at book rate.
And timing belt jobs and sparkplugs on rusted out minivans.
and belt services/header replacements on v6 4x4 nissan hardbodies.

Till then, shut up you.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

kastein posted:

The idiot who wrote the codebase I am presently working on really needs to take a flying gently caress at a mile of burning dicks. And then drown. In a toilet. A toilet that's on fire.

It's put together all backwards and wrong and upside down and I just triggered 100 compile errors and a couple dozen multiply defined symbol linker errors by changing the order two header files are included in. Rube Goldsbergian isn't even half the story here.

Was it an Eric? Could have been my boss. He just went though one of our code bases and started rewriting functions to make them "more readable" by "reducing indentation levels" via returns in the middle of functions that will be impossible to maintain and verify all scenarios are correct. Today I spent all day arguing with him that writing 500 lines of code that will have atleast 5 race conditions to solve and likely many more we won't notice until bad things happen is a stupid idea when the alternative is to write 10 lines in some client code that is entirely single threaded.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leica posted:

I had to wear pants today because it's cold, wtf is going on.

At least I didn't poo poo myself to death I guess.

gently caress you and your Florida weather.

(please send me some. PLEASE.)

kastein posted:

Says everyone who has inherited someone else's code.

The compile errors are because most of the dependencies are still on his workstation. You really thought you could compile this somewhere else?

All code is terrible. This is what we do.

At least I leave fun comments in mine.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

cursedshitbox posted:

Till then, shut up you.

Grass is always greener.

I was talking with another goon about this yesterday. I should have just been a computer janitor (I had a few different certs in HS). My friends who do this are making really good money, as long as you're in academic or government type stuff.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I had the "easy job" curse for most of 2006. I was in my sixth year of working for an awesome startup and the owner died unexpectedly in August '05. I spent the year after that waiting in the wings to do whatever was necessary to sell the company IP, but there was nothing to do but sit in my office and surf the web/chat with friends. Notice when I joined SA...

I did about 12 weeks of work during that 52 week period, the rest of the time I hosed off, with full knowledge and permission of management. They needed me if it sold but were otherwise not developing the technology further. I was paid hourly with a time clock so there was zero coming in late or leaving early. I was sad but incredibly relieved when that was over, it was very de-motivating and I started to worry that I was falling behind in my skillset.

Ironically my next job was worse. I was hired to design in plastic, with the promise that I would be trained on the job. Turns out nobody else there knew how to design in plastic either so after 6 months we had a major crisis because our new design was unmanufacturable. The management freaked out and hired an outside consulting firm to do our design for us (not assist, they took over) and my entire department sat on our asses for the next 4 months. I was working 9-4 with a 90 minute lunch and hating myself every day. The best part was that we didn't pay them enough to finish it so we got back a 90% complete design that we still had to scramble and kill ourselves to make work.

After 2 years of that nonsense I got in a pissing match with the useless VP of engineering during a meeting in front of everyone and was let go the next Monday. My supervisor said "today is going to be your last day here" and the first words out of my mouth were "thank god".

Being good at your job and having nothing to do is hell. Fortunately my current job is awesome with challenging work that I have too much of. Still hard to break the daytime web surfing habit though.

Weather chat: Is there anywhere in the country that hovers between 50 and 80 degrees year round with less than 50% humidity? Because I think that's where I want to live. The closest thing is San Diego isn't it?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I did an oopsie at work.

That's... about 3 or 4 gallons of freshly made pizza sauce. Tried to hold the bucket while opening the cooler door. I got the door open.

Thank gently caress the owner had taken the GM to lunch. The GM thought it was funny, the owner would have ripped me a new rear end in a top hat if he'd been there.

The owner's nephew was the one helping me clean it up though.. and had made that batch of sauce.

In 15 years (off and on) of this poo poo, I've NEVER dropped sauce. Ever. Ever. Ever. The one time I do, it's half a batch of fresh made sauce that took 30 minutes of labor to make (plus the mixer doing its mixing magic). I've dropped drat near everything else, but never sauce.

That took nearly an hour to clean up, between literally shoveling the sauce into a bucket, wiping down all of the walls (.. and shoes.. and pants.. and shelves), wiping down the cooler door, and mopping a million times to get it all up. And that's with 3 of us cleaning.

:cripes:

Thankfully, I'm not the first to have done this, judging by similar stains on the inside of the cooler door. But it got me kicked up a bit on the shitlist.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 9, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Man that's a lot of pizza sauce...!

If you ever get the chance, ask them to make you up a pizza with Jamaican jerk chicken bbq sauce instead. Mozarella over the top and a topping or two. So good. Also maybe try sweet chilli sauce and cheddar. I make pizzas on occasion and those two combos get raved about. So goooooood.

And 2015 could be interesting, I've a friend who works for a car manufacturer who is asking me if I want to apply for a job helping the audio install team.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

some texas redneck posted:

I did an oopsie at work.

That's... about 3 or 4 gallons of freshly made pizza sauce. Tried to hold the bucket while opening the cooler door. I got the door open.

Thank gently caress the owner had taken the GM to lunch. The GM thought it was funny, the owner would have ripped me a new rear end in a top hat if he'd been there.

The owner's nephew was the one helping me clean it up though.. and had made that batch of sauce.

In 15 years (off and on) of this poo poo, I've NEVER dropped sauce. Ever. Ever. Ever. The one time I do, it's half a batch of fresh made sauce that took 30 minutes of labor to make (plus the mixer doing its mixing magic). I've dropped drat near everything else, but never sauce.

That took nearly an hour to clean up, between literally shoveling the sauce into a bucket, wiping down all of the walls (.. and shoes.. and pants.. and shelves), wiping down the cooler door, and mopping a million times to get it all up. And that's with 3 of us cleaning.

:cripes:

Thankfully, I'm not the first to have done this, judging by similar stains on the inside of the cooler door. But it got me kicked up a bit on the shitlist.

Just rinse it a bit and it is good to go :v:

88h88 posted:

Man that's a lot of pizza sauce...!

If you ever get the chance, ask them to make you up a pizza with Jamaican jerk chicken bbq sauce instead. Mozarella over the top and a topping or two. So good. Also maybe try sweet chilli sauce and cheddar. I make pizzas on occasion and those two combos get raved about. So goooooood.

Asda does a really nice BBQ pizza sauce in a jar and it is cheap too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

That's a bunch of pizza sauce. Goddamn. I spilled a can of chocolate shell in a Dairy Queen once, but this is an order of magnitude more.

• Locked thread