Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Amusingly, Meenah's long-standing irrational desire to stick a fork in John has been retjohnned into having a justification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nephthys posted:

I mean, if you guys think this is bad I can only imagine the agony you'd be feel reading OotS with like 2-3 loving months of nothing happening.

Reading OotS is ill-advised in general.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
This update made me miss when Homestuck didn't have any actual romantic pairings and when people died they only came back ONCE like God intended :bahgawd:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

David Copperfield posted:

This update made me miss when Homestuck didn't have any actual romantic pairings and when people died they only came back ONCE like God intended :bahgawd:

Homestuck has had romantic pairings since Dave showed up.

I just know the score with this- no way in hell is Vriska going to stay dead now that she's happy and content and out of the way. That's not the Sekret way.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I would have retconned Nepeta and Equius' deaths instead. Terezi why

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
This update was pretty boring all told but seeing everyone flip their poo poo has justified it for me.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Who What Now posted:

This update was pretty boring all told but seeing everyone flip their poo poo has justified it for me.

*high-five*

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

WAR FOOT posted:

This is easily the most pointless, worthless upd8 in the history of Homestuck.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Okay how the gently caress is logical character development involving romance hussie 'smooshing two dolls together'. I really don't understand why this thread sometimes thinks any romantic plot is detracting from the story to appease 'the tumblrs.' You know Homestuck is a coming of age story, right? You know, about the time in your life that you are figuring out yourself and how to have a romantic relationship with another person. It's more relevant to Homestuck's themes than any of the bullshit SBURB plot devices.

Anyway I doubt the development Vriska's gotten in the dream bubbles will be gone. The only Beta characters who have gotten as much play as Vriska were Beta Dave and Beta Rose, both of whose memories of the alternate timeline remained in the story. We are seeing this now so that Vriska can be snatched away back to life. Maybe she'll look behind her to see Meenah double-killed by Lord English to put the fight back in her. Maybe Terezi is bringing Vriska back because she knows that Vriska can use her luck with John's new continuity rewriting power to randomly pop around the timeline and coincidentally make the changes that then need to actually win.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Mince Pieface posted:

Okay how the gently caress is logical character development involving romance hussie 'smooshing two dolls together'. I really don't understand why this thread sometimes thinks any romantic plot is detracting from the story to appease 'the tumblrs.' You know Homestuck is a coming of age story, right? You know, about the time in your life that you are figuring out yourself and how to have a romantic relationship with another person. It's more relevant to Homestuck's themes than any of the bullshit SBURB plot devices.

We're terrified that if we don't quail away from any kind of display of affection we might wake up tomorrow with a tumblr about our ships.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the problem

That's not Beta Vriska

That's Alpha Vriska, who is about to be retconned as never having died. Meaning all of her memories will be gone because they will never have happened.

Beta Rose's memories ended up with Alpha Rose because Beta Rose survived thanks to doomed time line poo poo. This isn't what's going on here. Vriska isn't being revived- her death is literally being rewritten.

I have a strong suspicion that the retcons affect even the dream bubbles- we just don't know for sure yet because the only ones we've seen affected by the changes are questionable

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mince Pieface posted:

I really don't understand why this thread sometimes thinks any romantic plot is detracting from the story to appease 'the tumblrs.'

It pretty much is though :shrug:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It pretty much is though :shrug:

If Hussie wanted to appease Tumblr he wouldn't have dedicated three flash walkarounds to mocking it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fair enough.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

We're terrified that if we don't quail away from any kind of display of affection we might wake up tomorrow with a tumblr about our ships.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Hussie only stops trolling us to pander to us. The man cant make up his mind. I hear he's a sociopath.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The problem, like a lot Homestuck problems, is about pacing.

Hussie has finally been moving the plot along, having characters actually accomplish satisfying results, but then screeches to a halt to show off two trolls who have explicitly reneged being productive rolling around and giggling.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I think that Andrew Hussie's crush on his own character is probably the least new reader-friendly plot thread in the comic, considering that it started on his Formspring that I doubt he even uses anymore.

Here's a crazy thought: if anyone in the comic would be immune to the effects of the retconning, it would be Andrew. John's new powers, with their ability to change the story and the way they keep sending him outside its confines, have something to do with the real world. Andrew is the only character in the comic who hails from there. If that's the case and Vriska is retconned back to life, that would leave him the sole person in possession of memories of Happy Vriska. What would he do with that information?

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Hussie has finally been moving the plot along, having characters actually accomplish satisfying results, but then screeches to a halt to show off two trolls who have explicitly reneged being productive rolling around and giggling.

Good world, good characters, five times as long as it needs to be. MSPA.

EDIT: This is why I like Paradox Space so much.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 9, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Mince Pieface posted:

Anyway I doubt the development Vriska's gotten in the dream bubbles will be gone.
With how John's powers work, I can see it being that way. He's not reviving her, he's retconning her death entirely from existence. That means she would have never been a ghost and never went through anything she did because Terezi won't stab her now. Meenah will either be retconned by result of that as well to never meeting Vriska or she'll be around long enough in tact before English finally finishes blowing up the bubbles.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Hussie only stops trolling us to pander to us. The man cant make up his mind. I hear he's a sociopath.

This is 100% accurate

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Right there's no plot significance to show two characters; one of whom is the penultimate boss in another life and the other who is about to have her life drastically altered; in love and happy.

This is literally just two random characters with no plot significance and showing them doesn't advance the plot OR set anything up for a very near plot advance.

EDIT: And CERTAINLY it's not going to show unintended consequences of changing it so that someone who went from being selfish, horrible, and all-around obnoxious to a pretty decent and reasonable person never went through the tragic path that lead to her becoming the decent person. Nope. This is literally nothing plot related at all. Just pure fluff.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
This update was cute. I feel sorry for all the people on this thread who hate fun.

Also, you have no idea how this will or will not be made relevant in the future. Throwing all your toys out of the pram because 'this is definitely going to be undone', without waiting to see what actually happens is pretty Tumblr, guys.

Just enjoy it. It's good stuff.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

krakagar posted:

This update was cute. I feel sorry for all the people on this thread who hate fun.

Also, you have no idea how this will or will not be made relevant in the future. Throwing all your toys out of the pram because 'this is definitely going to be undone', without waiting to see what actually happens is pretty Tumblr, guys.

Just enjoy it. It's good stuff.

I liked it!

I'm mostly just worried about Meenah :ohdear:

There is no way this is going to end with Meenah just forgetting their time together. That'd be too drat easy. Hussie wouldn't let us off the hook that easy.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I was going to predict that right around now is when John pulls his last prank which pulls Vriska out of her smooching and somehow the thing that happened with Jadesprite when the ball dropped would happen again with Vriska because of how angry she is that she got pulled away from her fun.

Then I remembered that she won't remember a thing so never mind. :(

Also do not forget that the last time a fish troll was this close to a spider troll, one was relentlessly murdering the other.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The setup seems to suggest it'll be sad that Vriska will be retconned away from this happy relationship by surviving her encounter with Terezi, but honestly her relation with Meenah's made her passive and useless, so it's mixed blessings.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thankfully it is impossible to feel the emotion human beings call 'sad' in reference to anything Vriska does or anything that happens to her. Phew.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Other posted:

Oh good, this act of author ownage has both the enchanted cliffscape and the proximity to horses and not just the latter

I came here to post this. Whose the hell land is this a memory of?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Don't really have many opinions on this update. I'm sure it'll have a payoff for the sadists and the masochists reading this webcomic.

Though if some horrible switcheroo happened and Meenah found herself missing a lovely clown I will probably die from laughter.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral

Bongo Bill posted:

Hussie's

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Land of Horses and Cliffs, the medium for the Waste of Space.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Classtoise posted:

Land of Horses and Cliffs, the medium for the Waste of Space.

Actually, that Land name doesn't work for multiple reasons, and furthermore :goonsay:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Has it been established exactly why this Vriska and this Meenah are capable of posthumous character development anyway? I thought that was supposed to be impossible in the dreambubbles and that's why all the pre-Scratch trolls were still so insufferable after thousands of years of unlife :confused:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

loquacius posted:

Has it been established exactly why this Vriska and this Meenah are capable of posthumous character development anyway? I thought that was supposed to be impossible in the dreambubbles and that's why all the pre-Scratch trolls were still so insufferable after thousands of years of unlife :confused:

Maybe it's less that it's impossible to develop further, and more that it requires some variety. I mean, for millions of those years, the Beforus trolls were apparently pretty static, but they also weren't interacting with anyone but their own group. As soon as new people entered their social group, we started seeing changes in Meenah and Aranea. Presumably, if things remained how they are now, they'd eventually reach a new equilibrium that wouldn't be disturbed without other new personalities entering the dreambubbles.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Love Matespritship finds a way.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

That's because the beforus trolls are living unliving caricatures incapable of growing up or doing anything of interest, much like karkat himself observed back then.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
With the way the explosion was framed around Vriska's head I was honestly expecting the both of them to get wiped out by Lord English.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

CJacobs posted:

Thankfully it is impossible to feel the emotion human beings call 'sad' in reference to anything Vriska does or anything that happens to her. Phew.

Vriska's mass is so huge it depresses space-time and mspa readers! :downsrim:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Blackheart posted:

That's because the beforus trolls are living unliving caricatures incapable of growing up or doing anything of interest, much like karkat himself observed back then.

"gently caress, it's like I'm surrounded by one-dimensional caricatures!"

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

you're reading homestuck and complaining about a pairing getting too much attention.

this thread is the tumblr about your ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Dolash posted:

The setup seems to suggest it'll be sad that Vriska will be retconned away from this happy relationship by surviving her encounter with Terezi, but honestly her relation with Meenah's made her passive and useless, so it's mixed blessings.

I think this really encapsulates why this update does nothing for me. Vriska is now kind of a boring useless chlub and Meenah is just not doing anything and farting around in the afterlife and I just don't give a poo poo about either of their characters anymore, so I don't care about their relationship drama.

I mean, I'm sure the gigapause and poo poo has contributed to this since it seems like I've lived through the 3 or 3 billion years Vriska has been dead, just waiting for her to be cool or interesting again.