Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

homerlaw posted:

That seems... really good.

Don't worry. It's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

homerlaw posted:

It basically makes everyone discard a card, and hurts opponents who've been sculpting their hand. It's not a Windfall, because a player can't net any cards with this (barring Madness or something like that).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

homerlaw posted:

It's no wheel of fortune :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Wanna see a Cloudformnaught deck
Do you mean Break Through the Line or Dragonrage? Dragonrage does seem poor to me - the example with loads of attackers and one unblocked creature is possible I guess, but Trumpet Blast will usually lead to a blowout in that case so I still think it's better. As for the other, while I know it suffers from the enchantment problem there are a lot of matches where I feel like I would pay 2 mana to have their creatures never block me again.

Break through the line. I think dragonrage is OK for some limited decks with a go wide strategy.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rimusutera posted:

Oh, this looks sweet.

Eh. If you want rampant growth you're not hugely interested in making your lovely creatures slightly less lovely. Might be playable in standard anyway, but certainly isn't great.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Entropic posted:

:lol: I didn't even think of that. I wonder why they didn't just go with the modal templating, same as Crushing Vines?

Now I know I'm going to have to call a judge on someone telling me I can't Return to the Earth their Jeskai Ascendancy because it doesn't fly.

If it was modal, and someone turned their enchantment into an artifact in response, then it would fizzle. This one doesn't.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Playing Dark Deal early would certainly help out your Delve for the rest of the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm most disappointed that Valorous Stance didn't end up being part of a sweet cycle of modal tricks.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Devor posted:

If it was modal, and someone turned their enchantment into an artifact in response, then it would fizzle. This one doesn't.

Only if it was no longer an enchantment, right? How many cards do that?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

odiv posted:

Playing Dark Deal early would certainly help out your Delve for the rest of the game.

Elf Turn 1, Dark Deal turn 2, Soulflayer turn 3?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Entropic posted:

Only if it was no longer an enchantment, right? How many cards do that?

Dunno. Also, if something copied the spell on the stack they couldn't change modes. They are pretty functionally different.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Balon posted:

Elf Turn 1, Dark Deal turn 2, Soulflayer turn 3?
No 1 mana elfs in this limited. :(

Looking forward to messing with people's "snap keep" hands though. :)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cynic Jester posted:

This card seems pretty good for limited.

I feel like I've seen almost this exact same art, or at least the same pose and colors, on another card, but I can't put my finger on where.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's the same card, but returned from the dead, Entropic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

vegetables posted:

This is probably the first card since Future Sight that made me do a double take:

Whoever edited this card should have ordered it "creature with flying, artifact or enchantment."

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Break through the line seems good for jeskai tokens. Triggers prowess and ascendancy at 1R, then I can get my Rabblemaster or Seeker through bees, zombie tokens and any other poo poo for R? That's at least worth a few sideboard slots.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Uhhhhhhh...

Randomly enough, those creatures you already own that fit the criteria also untap and gain haste. :v:

Edit:

Also, the best flavor text. :allears:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 9, 2015

Andante
Jul 3, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

Whoever edited this card should have ordered it "creature with flying, artifact or enchantment."

Agreed, or they could have just made it modal.
Choose one:
-Destroy target creature with flying
-Destroy target enchantment
-Destroy target artifact

The way it's written makes it very easy to misunderstand. It's an ambiguous sentence, even though only one interpretation really makes sense within the rules.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
So much love for my common/uncommon cube this set! Thanks for the dragons!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

AlternateNu posted:

Uhhhhhhh...

Randomly enough, those creatures you already own that fit the criteria also untap and gain haste. :v:

It's basically a modal version of this:

Untapping your own creatures and giving them haste in addition to taking your opponent's creatures isn't a new thing.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Jonked posted:

My understanding is that you are correct. The only sticking point i can think of is whether you'd need 5 blue pips before Thassa enters to attach it, or just 4.I think you'd only need 4?

That hosed-up loophole only applies to replacement effects that change how creatures enter the battlefield, not to triggered abilities that go off when they do enter the battlefield. In your example, Thassa enters the battlefield as a noncreature enchantment, so she isn't tapped by Imposing Sovereign, but becomes a creature so fast once she's on the battlefield that she still triggers Temur Ascendancy.

Also, there are some loving scary commons in this set, most of them in Red. Viva la Pauper!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mercury Crusader posted:

It's basically a modal version of this:

Untapping your own creatures and giving them haste in addition to taking your opponent's creatures isn't a new thing.

Yeah, I know. I just didn't expect them to reprint an Insurrection style effect. I mean...that poo poo did come out in Onslaught.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Balon posted:

Man, I'm going to jump through so many windows at the pre-release.

What does this mean?

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

tirinal posted:

This is going to result in so much rage.

Because you know, hexproof evasive creatures with extra variance on top are Fun and lead to Fun Games of Magic.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It means he will be disappointed when Mardu Strike Leader isn't in his pool.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah, I know. I just didn't expect them to reprint an Insurrection style effect. I mean...that poo poo did come out in Onslaught.

I remember arguments back when Insurrection was new about when it was legal to cast the card or what creatures you take. Namely, some folks were really adamant that you don't gain control of creatures that are untapped already, just the ones that were untapped by Insurrection's ability. Or better yet, some folks thought you couldn't cast the card if there were any untapped creatures. I figure the wording is better these days about it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

whateverfor posted:

Because you know, hexproof evasive creatures with extra variance on top are Fun and lead to Fun Games of Magic.

Bring some enchantment hate, nerd.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Balon posted:

Man, I'm going to jump through so many windows at the pre-release.

Its Innistrad all over again! This is all a plot by big window.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Xir posted:

What does this mean?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Where's my Mardu Kool Aid Man legend?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I cannot wait for someone to rule lawyer that their [word]form can't be targeted since it doesn't have flying.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
drat. Did they specify in the art guidelines that the Mardu hated windows or something?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Snacksmaniac posted:

Where's my Mardu Kool Aid Man legend?

Genghis Windowbreaker, Who Hates Walls

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Mercury Crusader posted:

Genghis Windowbreaker, Who Hates Doors

ftfy

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

Genghis Windowbreaker, Who Hates Walls

Alesha, Who Doesn't Use Doors

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Zurgo Panesmasher

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AlternateNu posted:

Uhhhhhhh...

Good to know if you're at 8 or 9 mana in a Mardu deck with some outlast guys.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I assume the pre-release is going to work the same as khans did? Pick a clan and then random assortment of foiled rares with the date on them?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Bugsy posted:

I assume the pre-release is going to work the same as khans did? Pick a clan and then random assortment of foiled rares with the date on them?

There's another goofy mini-game you can play to get a special Ugin pack with alternate art cards.

(Note: the little minigame on the card is not actually necessary and they are generally supposed to give you the Ugin's Fate pack regardless of what you do.)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

Good to know if you're at 8 or 9 mana in a Mardu deck with some outlast guys.

I mean if you're casting this in limited you probably win anyway.

• Locked thread