Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Tae posted:

The GBC DQ games were really good.

Yes.
However, playing from the start every time and trying to complete the game in one sitting because you had the Japanese version and somehow never found the Save function felt pretty hopeless at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There was a Shannara RPG/Adventure game in the 90s that was decent only because Legend Entertainment was behind it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

This is the answer. That's the Sword of Truth series. It's absolutely abhorrent, avoid at all costs.

gently caress Goodkind and his Randian fantasy bullshit.

On the subject of RPGs based on books, anyone have any strong opinions on Return to Krondor? I played the poo poo out of Betrayal as a young creature and I've always been curious about the sequel.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I remember playing through all the main FF games a few years ago, back when I actually had some free time. It was really interesting, seeing the series evolve through the decades. Even something tiny that's taken for granted these days (like, if two characters target one enemy and the first character kills it, the second character doesn't actually attack open air anymore, amazing!) make such a big difference.

I distinctly remember FF2 being the worst, getting through that was such a pain in the rear end.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

gently caress Goodkind and his Randian fantasy bullshit.

On the subject of RPGs based on books, anyone have any strong opinions on Return to Krondor? I played the poo poo out of Betrayal as a young creature and I've always been curious about the sequel.

It's a solid game. Ugly graphics but an above average CRPG.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
I'd really recommend skipping XIII, it's just really bad in all areas. You can play the later games without knowing the plot, just wiki it if you really get confused.
XIII-2 I found fun, and has similar combat but you get 2 permanent dudes and a pokemon as your third so you can fight with all sorts of FF monsters. The story is pretty silly, I thought it was funny in a bad movie way. I've heard good things about Lightning Returns but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Edit: vvvvvvvvvvvvv Haha thanks. I swear it looked right when I posted.

Lord Banana fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 9, 2015

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Lord Banana posted:

I'd really recommend skipping XII, it's just really bad in all areas. You can play the later games without knowing the plot, just wiki it if you really get confused.
XII-2 I found fun, and has similar combat but you get 2 permanent dudes and a pokemon as your third so you can fight with all sorts of FF monsters. The story is pretty silly, I thought it was funny in a bad movie way. I've heard good things about Lightning Returns but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

You mean XIII, I got really confused after reading your first few sentences.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

FFXII is a bad game too. It's super slow, has a terrible combat system, too much combat, bad sidequests, way too large areas for the slow run speed and all plot and character elements are more interesting in concept than in practice.

At least XIII has a good combat system.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You have called 13 better than every game mentioned here.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

FFXII is a bad game too. It's super slow, has a terrible combat system, too much combat, bad sidequests, way too large areas for the slow run speed and all plot and character elements are more interesting in concept than in practice.

This is very much one person's opinion, but most of his points are valid. YMMV, 12 is probably in my top three FF games.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

WrightOfWay posted:

It's a Matsuno game and he's never made a bad game.

:colbert:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Good post right here

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

So I'm starting Jade Empire up, and I'm curious as to how important starting stat distribution is.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I'm sorry you're trapped in a time loop that ends in 1998.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TARDISman posted:

So I'm starting Jade Empire up, and I'm curious as to how important starting stat distribution is.

Jade Empire is crazy-easy. Don't stress about it. Pick whoever you like.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Jade Empire is crazy-easy. Don't stress about it. Pick whoever you like.

Sweet, thanks.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Sweet, thanks.

Also if you get the gun style from the englishman the game become hilarious.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

If you're suggesting Vagrant Story is a bad game, I'll have to ask you to step outside.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's a good fantasy action movie that is also unfortunately a video game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My favorite part about playing Jade Empire on the Xbox was the load times were so atrociously long that the tournament was the single worst part of the game since you had to load twice between battles and since the game was so easy the fights took like 15 seconds and followed by 6 mins of loading. RIP

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Oh yeah, I definitely maxed that englishman's gun because shooting karate mans and making them explode never gets old. It basically makes it a game of reenacting the the "sword guy vs. Indy" fight from Raiders of the Lost Ark over and over.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The White Dragon posted:

The first half or so of FF12 before Matsuno quit/got fired/had a nervous breakdown was pretty great. Some nice worldbuilding, some decent characterization and backstory, and then basically it all fell apart or felt really underdeveloped, and holy poo poo why did they leave all the good gambits until the end of the game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

TARDISman posted:

IMO pick thousand cuts though at the start, it's the most spammy and makes the game feel 'quicker' than it probably is! I think it's actually the weakest of the three choices though, but who cares!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wild Arms 3 is hilariously bad sometimes. They've got the basic engine for running, but then decided it was good enough for precise "platforming" between swings and rotating gears. Then they made 20 puzzles that involve pushing and dragging blocks, and no one thought that maybe having "dash forward" and "grab block" set on the same button is not a good idea when running off the puzzle area resets everything.

The best part so far was installing the biggest cannon onto the sand boat and one-shotting everything including the boss you're supposed to fight on it.
Clive critting regular bosses for a quarter of their HP was fun, too. I'll continue pumping cash into his gun's shot power.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clive's damage output is hilariously absurd.

Although later in the game going for no-weapon fighting is actually very valid and hilarious.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

It's a good fantasy action movie that is also unfortunately a video game.

I tried replaying Vagrant Story recently and it holds up terribly. Practically every single boss has a single gimmick you need to use do any real damage which strongly discourages any experimentation or character building and the equipment system is both horribly obtuse and time consuming. The visual style holds up fantastically and the plot is a pretty cool fantasy Metal Gear Solid but actually playing the drat thing is a tremendous drag.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Clive's damage output is hilariously absurd.

Although later in the game going for no-weapon fighting is actually very valid and hilarious.

I really liked the spell that gave you a attack increase for every hitpoint you were missing, that poo poo was insanely broken and fun to use and completely outclassed the conventional damage buff you got much later and seemed like it was meant to be an upgrade.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I tried replaying Vagrant Story recently and it holds up terribly. Practically every single boss has a single gimmick you need to use do any real damage which strongly discourages any experimentation or character building and the equipment system is both horribly obtuse and time consuming. The visual style holds up fantastically and the plot is a pretty cool fantasy Metal Gear Solid but actually playing the drat thing is a tremendous drag.

It was a giant drag when it came out too and the equipment system was even worse since there weren't a billion FAQs explaining how this fundamental gameplay mechanic/system works. I remember getting through the forest maze thing, finding the dragon, doing a whole 1 point of damage to the boss, dying, then saying fuckit because going through that forest maze sucked.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Whoops. I just bought this on PSN with my Christmas funbux. Oh well, I'll just walk it with a guide and try to enjoy it? Maybe?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MockingQuantum posted:

Whoops. I just bought this on PSN with my Christmas funbux. Oh well, I'll just walk it with a guide and try to enjoy it? Maybe?

It not even really that hard, all you need to remember is that every enemy is weak to one of the three main weapon types (piercing/edged/blunt) and everything else is just bonuses on top, despite the game actively trying to make you think that the attunement thing, where weapons get better against certain enemies as you kill more of that enemy type, is more important. And the buff/debuff/elemental magics are the most useful things in the entire game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm a big fan of Vagrant Story, but this is still true. Vagrant Story is like my favorite game that I never want to play.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm a big fan of Vagrant Story, but this is still true. Vagrant Story is like my favorite game that I never want to play.

Oh man, I could sit down and make a list of those games that would make me question the meaning of life.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

When I played it I thought it was neat to keep experimenting and finding that one weakness then use it to turn the fight and overpower an enemy that had given me trouble.

I disliked how much you could spam healing, though. I must have cast that spell 5000x more than any other.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Vagrant Story's mechanics aren't HARD, they're just obtuse, critical to dealing enough damage to handle most of the harder enemies, and the game makes zero effort to explain them at all. That coupled with the fact that most of us played it when we were like 11 and were expecting it to be more like Final Fantasy 7 means that a lot of people think it's harder than it actually is.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The second most important thing about Vagrant Story beyond keeping one of each weapon type is risk management. Literally.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Matsuno's departure was announced late in the game's development but I wonder if he had total control over the project how much of it would be different. My biggest annoyance with FF12 is that the plot wants to be something grand but never moves past a shonen action story. It reminds me of the Star Wars prequels where you have this big war and political maneuvering as stage dressing but the plot is straight up good guys fighting evil guys. FFT devolved into a generic evil-religion-demons-bullshit story but it always framed itself as a character drama (same with Vagrant Story to a lesser extent as there were like 5 named characters). FF12 wants to be heavy, it wants high stakes and drama but hell if I can remember anything about the story besides a villain with dumb hair.

SelenicMartian posted:

Wild Arms 3 is hilariously bad sometimes. They've got the basic engine for running, but then decided it was good enough for precise "platforming" between swings and rotating gears. Then they made 20 puzzles that involve pushing and dragging blocks, and no one thought that maybe having "dash forward" and "grab block" set on the same button is not a good idea when running off the puzzle area resets everything.

The best part so far was installing the biggest cannon onto the sand boat and one-shotting everything including the boss you're supposed to fight on it.
Clive critting regular bosses for a quarter of their HP was fun, too. I'll continue pumping cash into his gun's shot power.

It's such a mish-mash of odd mechanics. I like puzzle dungeons in RPGs but not when I'm fighting the camera and controls. Even with the second-long pause before you dash I'll have the camera in a position I can't see so I just bump into the block and fall off the edge. Most of those millennial puzzles were maddening for this reason.

By the time most of the world map opened I looked up a guide for the hidden treasures which got me enough avoidance-whatever ability that I could ignore most encounters.

Baby Babbeh posted:

Vagrant Story's mechanics aren't HARD, they're just obtuse, critical to dealing enough damage to handle most of the harder enemies, and the game makes zero effort to explain them at all. That coupled with the fact that most of us played it when we were like 11 and were expecting it to be more like Final Fantasy 7 means that a lot of people think it's harder than it actually is.

The final boss is pretty trash with his 1-hit-kill-unless-you-block-it-within-a-1-second-window.

But yes, replaying VS a few years ago and it wasn't as difficult as I feared. There's some terrible moments, like dungeons having 1 save point but with 2-3 bosses inside, and some wonky map design (dear game designers don't magically lock poo poo behind me, that's loving annoying) but it's not that difficult of a game.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 9, 2015

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

al-azad posted:

FF12 wants to be heavy, it wants high stakes and drama but hell if I can remember anything about the story besides a villain with dumb hair.

Really? In a thread full of JRPGs, and you think THIS is "dumb hair"?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Really? In a thread full of JRPGs, and you think THIS is "dumb hair"?

Especially because Seymour has the hair he does.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

al-azad posted:

The final boss is pretty trash with his 1-hit-kill-unless-you-block-it-within-a-1-second-window.

Protip: right before he launches his ultimate attack, switch to shield built for magic and dark resist, that cuts the damage it does in half and you can switch right back to your standard weapon immediately afterwards.

But genereally, Vagrant Story wasn't that hard once you figured what to do but it was still just really boring and unfun. The boss fights being reduced to 'this is the one where I use piercing + frost damage' 'this is the one where I use blunt + fire damage' isn't great design, especially in a single character rpg where that's the entirety of the fight.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Also Vayne is actually a pretty cool villain with a decent motive which contrasts well with Ashe and fab hair. Shame FFXII was basically Fetch Quest: The Game and he barely got any time to shine. I mean I guess they really wanted their epic treks through the game's incredibly impressive environments but there had to be a happy middle ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Protip: right before he launches his ultimate attack, switch to shield built for magic and dark resist, that cuts the damage it does in half and you can switch right back to your standard weapon immediately afterwards.

But genereally, Vagrant Story wasn't that hard once you figured what to do but it was still just really boring and unfun. The boss fights being reduced to 'this is the one where I use piercing + frost damage' 'this is the one where I use blunt + fire damage' isn't great design, especially in a single character rpg where that's the entirety of the fight.

To be fair, a lot of the fights in VS were based on timing your chains, and deciding what chains to use and how long to do it. You could keep doing guaranteed damage if you could keep the chain going, but your Risk would get super-high until the boss could one-shot you. It wasn't purely "pick weapon type".

The issue was that in addition to blunt/edged/piercing, you had different weapon hilts that worked worse/better with different weapon types, and different gems to insert, and each weapon ALSO had about 19 different attributes for both elements and enemy types that would go up and down. Also, you had a limit on the number of weapons you could carry.

So you could end up fighting an enemy that's weak to blunt, but your only blunt weapon has horrible elemental and enemy-type attributes against what you were fighting. The weapon system was just too clumsy and bloated.