Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gutter Owl posted:

Base Dominion still contains one of the strongest rush decks in Workshop/Gardens. You can reasonably three pile before a BM player takes their fourth province on Turn 14/15.

If the kingdom contains Workshop, Gardens, Village, open double Workshop. If you can, pick up 2 workshops, 2 villages on the next pass through the deck. Then devour Gardens, Estates, and whatever third pile you can manage (usually Workshop or Village).

Eh, Workshop/Gardens is pretty old hat these days. Ironworks/Gardens is more efficient, Beggar/Gardens hilariously more so.

I'd rarely bother with buying villages in a workshop/gardens deck though. If you're playing it right your workshops shouldn't clash often even if you only get workshops. And don't forget to buy copper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

thespaceinvader posted:

Eh, Workshop/Gardens is pretty old hat these days. Ironworks/Gardens is more efficient, Beggar/Gardens hilariously more so.

I'd rarely bother with buying villages in a workshop/gardens deck though. If you're playing it right your workshops shouldn't clash often even if you only get workshops. And don't forget to buy copper.

True, but he was specifically asking about Base Set only, and your rush options there are a bit constrained to Workshop/Gardens or Woodcutter/Gardens.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Fair enough.

I'm never sure about starting with the base set. It's a lot more difficult to build decks that are other than money in the base set, and it's lacking one of the major deck types - megaturn. There's nothing in dominion like the satisfaction when a new player realises that yes, KC/KC/Bridge/Bridge/Bridge does mean you can drain a winning proportion of the Province pile, right the gently caress now. Or more so, pulling off a Horn of Plenty deck properly. I only ever managed the latter once or twice in thousands of Isotropic games but drat if it isn't happymaking when it works.

Starting with base set is OK, but base set is very limited when it comes to interesting cards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

T-Bone posted:

Thanks. These all comprise (along with Dominant Species and Archipelago) pretty much the top of my WP wishlist after we get tired of Waterdeep. How do Rosenberg's other WPs (Caverna/Le Havre/Ora Et Labora) compare to Agricola?

A few other neat looking WPs (Lewis & Clark, Keyflower, and Francis Drake) are sitting five minutes away from me at my FLGS so that's kind of tempting too. Anyone have any experience with them? Francis Drake's box weighs like 20 pounds.

also goddamn does Alchemists look fun -- print before I run out of money please

I'll save you some money - it's a limp game with a gimmick. If you really want a copy you'll be able to pick one up for half of gently caress all in about three months.

Worker placement with direct conflict: Euphoria. Your workers are dice; you re-roll them whenever they leave the board, either by you picking them up or them being bumped out of the space they're on by another worker being placed there, and if the total of the workers you don't have on the board plus a variable constant is greater than 15 you lose one of your workers. If you catch a player recalling only some of his dice to avoid that risk, you can bump another one of his workers from the board to push him over the top. Also there are a number of construction projects on the board. When one of them is completed, anyone who didn't participate in the construction suffers a penalty until they can pay a painful cost. Each space on the construction tracks requires a specific resource, too, so you can block players out of the spaces they can build.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Big Money is actually the most fun strat anyway, so base set and prosperity are all you need.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Big Money is actually the most fun strat anyway, so base set and prosperity are all you need.

Yes playing to an algorithm and not thinking about the game at all is very enjoyable beep boop.

(I genuinely can't tell if you're serious - but Prosperity is probably the set that changes the game most, of the early ones. Having colonies available really adds a lot more engine-building time.)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jedit posted:

I'll save you some money - it's a limp game with a gimmick. If you really want a copy you'll be able to pick one up for half of gently caress all in about three months.

drat, that's disappointing. The theme/mechanics looked really fun. CGE can make bad games too?!

quote:

Worker placement with direct conflict: Euphoria. Your workers are dice; you re-roll them whenever they leave the board, either by you picking them up or them being bumped out of the space they're on by another worker being placed there, and if the total of the workers you don't have on the board plus a variable constant is greater than 15 you lose one of your workers. If you catch a player recalling only some of his dice to avoid that risk, you can bump another one of his workers from the board to push him over the top. Also there are a number of construction projects on the board. When one of them is completed, anyone who didn't participate in the construction suffers a penalty until they can pay a painful cost. Each space on the construction tracks requires a specific resource, too, so you can block players out of the spaces they can build.

This was one that looked really fun on BG but it looks like it's out of print/really expensive otherwise. Great looking game though and that mechanic sounds like it would work well with my group.

e: oh gently caress apparently they're doing a 2nd edition preorder for literally one more day hah http://stonemaiergames.com/buy-euphoria/

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 9, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

e: http://councilroom.com/popular_buys is a great way to work out whether it's worth bothering to buy a card or not in dominion.

Eh, it's a good place to start but it's not the end all be all, some cards are niche but extremely powerful within that niche. My favorite example is Outpost, which is garbage in most setups but in the specific case of a highly consistent engine deck is extremely powerful.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, it's not good for cards which are easily misused, like Outpost, but in general it's at least a good indication.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Do people use Spy at all in high-level games? I'm relatively new, and while it doesn't look that great I used it as a jerryrigged non-terminal engine piece when there was nothing else there.

Spy is pretty weak 99% of the time. It should also cost $3 instead of $4 not that it would fix anything.

Things to do with Spy:

• Pair it with something nasty that cares about the top of your opponent's deck like Swindler, Knights, or Jester. Or something that cares about the top of your deck, like Mystic. Trouble is there aren't many such cards and none are in the base set, except Thief which is poo poo.
  • Treat it like a cantrip (+1C +1A) with a negligible bonus. Sometimes it's just nice to have a deck full of cantrips. You can Throne them for extra Actions if there isn't a Village; you can buy them for Goons points without getting in the way (or Gardens points but that's probably not a good use case for Spy). They go with Scrying Pool and Herald and Menagerie and so forth. But these situations are rare and Spy is rather expensive for this sort of thing.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Starting with base set is OK, but base set is very limited when it comes to interesting cards.

I agree with this. Even if new players don't realize that Spy and Thief are crap, they do realize that they're boring and make the game take longer. I think Intrigue is harder to learn, but it's not that much harder. In return, you get much more interesting interactions.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Thief's a lot better in 4 player than it is in two, which is always worth bearing in mind. And a LOT better when you start getting things like Platinum into the mix.

Still pretty lame though.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

I agree with this. Even if new players don't realize that Spy and Thief are crap, they do realize that they're boring and make the game take longer. I think Intrigue is harder to learn, but it's not that much harder. In return, you get much more interesting interactions.

I still feel like it takes awhile to get to that point, and once they do they are ready to move onto different games or expansions. When people are still in the "Village Idiot" phase, they are going to buy a lot of Spies, and Thief seems powerful at first until it doesn't. The point is people will play with them and they will be interactive until everyone realizes how weak they are, but that's a whole learning process.

I do wish Spy was slightly more powerful though, and that there was a much more interesting 5th attack than Bureaucrat (which seems like it belongs in Intrigue anyway with the VP card theme). I am fine with Thief, and fine with the interactivity in the base set when it comes to beginners. Intrigue does blow it out of the water for interactivity though, attacks with choices are the most interesting type of attack.

EBag
May 18, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Thanks. These all comprise (along with Dominant Species and Archipelago) pretty much the top of my WP wishlist after we get tired of Waterdeep. How do Rosenberg's other WPs (Caverna/Le Havre/Ora Et Labora) compare to Agricola?

If you want a WP with lots of player interaction get Keyflower, seriously it's one of the best WP games available. It scales well, isn't overly long, isn't punishing like Agricola because you don't need to feed your people, but gives players lots of ways to be aggressive and screw each other over should you wish.

I've only played Ora & Labora outside of Agricola and it's great. It's fairly long and mentally draining but it just throws resources at you like nothing else I've played, it's like the opposite of Agricola in that sense. By the end of the game you have a ridiculous number of options at your disposal. It's interesting trying to expand your monastery, trying to get the buildings in the best places to score while also trying to grab the buildings you really want. It's not one I like to play all the time but it's nice once in awhile for something different.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Aston posted:

Which country? I may be able to sell you mine.

Argentina. Are we talking about AS or TotAN?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
For Dominion storage-- Does just buying a collectible card binder work? I feel like that might be the most compact solution provided the binder you buy can support 10 cards per sleeve thingy.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Regarding the councilroom card win stats, are there any good predefined kingdom pools based on tiers? For example, Spy isn't going to get much play in a typical kingdom, but if you restricted the pool to remove the obvious bombs, it might see much more play? Thus getting more playability out of one's Dominion collection.

I have hobby lobby art box and broken token dividers coming in. Dividers and sleeves as well. And finally got Guilds and Dark Ages. Where is the :smugrenaissancedude: smiley?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Megasabin posted:

For Dominion storage-- Does just buying a collectible card binder work? I feel like that might be the most compact solution provided the binder you buy can support 10 cards per sleeve thingy.

Yeah, that's what I use - a large zippered 3-ring binder from Mead Five Star, with standard CCG pages. Be warned it's very heavy with all expansions in it. I keep the base cards and randomizers in an MTG Fat Pack box, a small-medium card box should work well for those and tokens, if you don't have a good space in the binder for them (you don't strictly need the randomizers as phones are better, but I like them for Black Market and sometimes for setup).

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Regarding the councilroom card win stats, are there any good predefined kingdom pools based on tiers? For example, Spy isn't going to get much play in a typical kingdom, but if you restricted the pool to remove the obvious bombs, it might see much more play? Thus getting more playability out of one's Dominion collection.

I have hobby lobby art box and broken token dividers coming in. Dividers and sleeves as well. And finally got Guilds and Dark Ages. Where is the :smugrenaissancedude: smiley?

One of the interesting things about Dominion is that card power level often has more to do with the kingdom surrounding the card. For Spy specifically, I think it's decent in, for example, on a board with a powerful but expensive engine, as it gives you something to do with hands that don't get to 5, or maybe a second thing to buy with a hand that gets to 9 that has two buys. It's never good, but it has its uses on some boards.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

rchandra posted:

Yeah, that's what I use - a large zippered 3-ring binder from Mead Five Star, with standard CCG pages. Be warned it's very heavy with all expansions in it. I keep the base cards and randomizers in an MTG Fat Pack box, a small-medium card box should work well for those and tokens, if you don't have a good space in the binder for them (you don't strictly need the randomizers as phones are better, but I like them for Black Market and sometimes for setup).

Can you link me to a place to buy the one you use? A lot of people seem to say they can't fit the game with all the expansions in one binder, and I'm definitely looking for that option if it's possible since I own all of them.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 9, 2015

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

T-Bone posted:

drat, that's disappointing. The theme/mechanics looked really fun. CGE can make bad games too?!

First of all, Alchemists was not designed by Vlaadaa, although he gave some advice, I think.

I've played a handful of 2-player games now of Alchemists, and I don't think it's that bad of a game. Choosing when to go in each round is always a critical decision, and so is when to publish. The coolest action (testing potions on the student or yourself) actually doesn't do anything, except give a bit of information. Actions are often better spent elsewhere, but without any information on the ingredients, you can't do much. This brings a delicate balance of finding out when to go for the points. I'm curious how that plays out in 4-player games, where you also have fewer actions per round.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

OperaMouse posted:

First of all, Alchemists was not designed by Vlaadaa, although he gave some advice, I think.

True, but I've heard great things about Last Will and Tzolk'in. It seems like they have some talent there outside of Vlaada.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Fungah! posted:

Yes, but if you've never played before you'll want to start with the base set anyway. It's a lot better at easing new players into the game and helping them get used to all the basic ways you can make an engine. Intrigue's the better set once you've got that down, but it's less good at doing that than the base set is

Alright, so I can just buy intrigue and only play with the base cards from it to learn the basics? Basically no point to buy the base set?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

goodness posted:

Alright, so I can just buy intrigue and only play with the base cards from it to learn the basics? Basically no point to buy the base set?

Intrigue and Base set boxes have different sets of kingdom cards, but both include copper/silver/gold/estate/duchy/province/curse

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

goodness posted:

No no. Intrigue comes with the same base copper, silver, gold, estate, duchy, province, curse. Not the same kingdom cards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

T-Bone posted:

True, but I've heard great things about Last Will and Tzolk'in. It seems like they have some talent there outside of Vlaada.

Last Will is good (although Suchy's other game League of Six is better), Tzolk'in is good, Chvatil is not good.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jedit posted:

Chvatil is not good.

why do you say such hurtful things

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Jedit posted:

Chvatil is not good.

I will bleed you

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
I got the Dominion mega box set with Alchemy and Prosperity. What the heck to you do with those big tiles and the coins?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Stop raising to the bait, people, what's the point.

Last Will was alright I guess, it just didn't feel like there was much competition outside of the race aspects. It was playable but somehow felt uninspired. Tzol'kin is probably the only game I've seen that does the 'put stuff on/take it off' gimmick done right.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

goodness posted:

If you just want to learn the basics you can play the base set against bots here for free in your browser:

https://www.playdominion.com/

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Any opinions on Concordia? Someone is offering to trade me their copy for couple of old warhams.

Jedit posted:

Chvatil is not good.

:chloe:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ojetor posted:

Any opinions on Concordia? Someone is offering to trade me their copy for couple of old warhams.

It's a clever game, but a bit dry. If you don't want the things they're asking for much it's worth playing.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

T-Bone posted:

A few other neat looking WPs (Lewis & Clark, Keyflower, and Francis Drake) are sitting five minutes away from me at my FLGS so that's kind of tempting too. Anyone have any experience with them? Francis Drake's box weighs like 20 pounds.

also goddamn does Alchemists look fun -- print before I run out of money please

Get Keyflower, you won't regret it, it is also hard to get hold onto, so you might not get another chance any soon. I heard that Francis Drake's also good too, but don't buy Lewis & Clark. It looks spectacular, it tries to do great things... but fails. It is one of the few games most video reviewers agree in their disappointment in. Check out http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/review-lewis-clark/ for example.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Ojetor posted:

:chloe:

Concordia is great. It was a standout hit last year alongside Russian Railroads, but is far less heavy. It's one of the games that I can pull friends who are new to board games into fairly easily because of its streamlined action system.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Impermanent posted:

Concordia is great. It was a standout hit last year alongside Russian Railroads, but is far less heavy. It's one of the games that I can pull friends who are new to board games into fairly easily because of its streamlined action system.

Concordia is probably my favorite game from last year. It's not dripping with theme, but I wouldn't call it dry - I've always found its system very engaging.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
I really enjoy Concordia and reckon it's a really good game for those who have already dipped their toes into board gaming and want an expansion & resource management game that's deeper than Catan without any of the randomness. I played one game last year and liked it instantly, so much so my girlfriend got it me for Christmas. It's colourful, the board and the components are very nice, and like SU&SD said in their review of Kingdom Builder you get to do lots of placing little houses on the board which is really the most sexual feeling in board gaming. I also really like the double sided board, one side is Roman Italy for playing with 2-4 players, the other is the Roman Empire at it's largest extent (Britannia to Syria) and has an extra province (12 to Italy's 11) and more cities, designed for 3-5 players. It's a big reccomendation from me.

Played a couple of games with the parents again tonight. Introduced them to Splendor with the bait of "Play one game of this and can play Catan all you want."

Rules were understood right off the bat, we finished the game 17-16-16 with my mother laying down a big 4 pointer for her last card and snatching the win. They love it and really want to play it again soon.

Once they're settled with Splendor and ready for the next level I'll slam The 'Gric down on the table :smug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

echoMateria posted:

Get Keyflower, you won't regret it, it is also hard to get hold onto, so you might not get another chance any soon. I heard that Francis Drake's also good too, but don't buy Lewis & Clark. It looks spectacular, it tries to do great things... but fails. It is one of the few games most video reviewers agree in their disappointment in. Check out http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/review-lewis-clark/ for example.

I thought Lewis and Clark was good. I'm not sure that it's a great game, and I've turned down the chance to play it since, but it's got a lot of room for well calculated steps.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Bruiser posted:

I got the Dominion mega box set with Alchemy and Prosperity. What the heck to you do with those big tiles and the coins?

The coins and black bordered mat are used in conjunction with Trade Route from Prosperity

The other mats are just organiser areas for your VP shield tokens, also from Prosperity

Re Alchemists, I've played it a few times and enjoyed it every time. YMMV, try to get a demo game in before committing to purchase. Just remember it's a pseudo academia simulator with worker placement rather than just a 'solve the alchemical puzzle' game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
My copy of Archipelago just came in today and good gosh is the artwork even more beautiful / uncomfortably racist in person.

fake edit: But I would still contend that it treats race better than similar games like Puerto Rico or Catan. I'd rather have a game about colonialism that treats its subject matter explicitly than one that whitewashes it.

The game looks very strong, though, and whoever said that this is essentially Better Catan might not be far off. A couple of the quirks of the rules (like hidden bidding for turn order with ties going to the bank) are exactly my style.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 10, 2015