Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

Really? In a thread full of JRPGs, and you think THIS is "dumb hair"?

It's like a combination of things that make me really hate his design. It's certainly not the worse offender by a long shot but for a realistically modeled human, in a position of power as emperor of a highly advanced kingdom, and in a game that's more or less among the most serious in its franchise, Vayne looks really dumb. Certainly not intimidating or villainous.

Seymour was dumb looking but so was nearly everyone else in FF10. It's a relative thing. If Vayne wore tight leather pants with a ruffled blouse and fought with an electric guitar I'd like him more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Schwartzcough posted:

What is with his boots? I'm guessing they're actually shinguards but they make him look like a character model from Fire Emblem Awakening.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Schwartzcough posted:

To be fair, a lot of the fights in VS were based on timing your chains, and deciding what chains to use and how long to do it. You could keep doing guaranteed damage if you could keep the chain going, but your Risk would get super-high until the boss could one-shot you. It wasn't purely "pick weapon type".

I almost want to play Vagrant Story again just to remind myself, because I remember the whole weapon system being pointless, but no one else seems to bring it up. As I recall, I used only two or three spears (changing whenever I found a better one) throughout the entire game. If you could get a good enough combo, your damage would build (and you could heal) and it didn't matter what you were using. It was enough that I never really found switching weapons to be necessary.

Can't remember how I handled risk, but I think I may have just ignored it because it didn't seem to matter either. I don't remember getting one-shot by anything.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

al-azad posted:

By the time most of the world map opened I looked up a guide for the hidden treasures which got me enough avoidance-whatever ability that I could ignore most encounters.
I should do that. Badge-based encounter skipping is really stupid. WA2 based the cost of skipping only on level difference, but I guess they wanted to make NG+ painful. The seals don't carry over, do they?

al-azad posted:

The second most important thing about Vagrant Story beyond keeping one of each weapon type is risk management. Literally.
I killed a boss or two in VS by QTE-returning their attacks back at them because I failed at realising how much of an effect the weapon type has. That includes the non-injured wyvern.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Nate RFB posted:

What is with his boots? I'm guessing they're actually shinguards but they make him look like a character model from Fire Emblem Awakening.

Goddamn it, now I can't unsee it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Schwartzcough posted:

i liked the big speech where he talks about how beneficent his empire is while wearing armor with bats and skulls on

in other news, Newcomer is the best oldschool rpg ever how did i not know about it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
FF12 also had the best hair so I think we can forgive Vayne.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sorry, the best hair is always facial.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

al-azad posted:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So do the older people in this thread find it very difficult to play these games? I imagine it must take a while to beat a RPG when you have a family.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't remember any of these loving people. Was FF12 the most forgettable FF? I guess I don't remember a thing about Seymour, either, except that he beat me up a couple of times on a mountain after a really lengthy possibly unskippable cutscene.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't remember any of these loving people. Was FF12 the most forgettable FF? I guess I don't remember a thing about Seymour, either, except that he beat me up a couple of times on a mountain after a really lengthy possibly unskippable cutscene.
Both of those people show up fairly late in the game (halfway-ish?). The guy with the fab hair is Al-Cid Margrace, the guy with the fab beard is Reddas.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

punk rebel ecks posted:

So do the older people in this thread find it very difficult to play these games? I imagine it must take a while to beat a RPG when you have a family.
Just having a job and a social life makes it difficult. I started Valkyria Chronicles a couple of weeks ago and I'm still only up to chapter 7 :negative: Although part of that is down to me putting off the Barious Desert battle because apparently it's really hard and I will die

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
everybody in FF12 has rad hair except Vaan. Also Judge Armor looked so cool. Give me more cool as gently caress suits of armor and less pretty boy chest RPGs goddamn.

Also, International Zodiac Job System does so much to change FF12 from a boring forgettable game to a real good one.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

tales of xillia is asking me to pick a main character. i'm not going to play through a 50+ hour long RPG twice so can someone help me out here. what's the differences between the two

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

it's tough even when you're just in grad school like i am. i beat 133 because it was about 20 hours; i would never have time to play all the way through, say, dark souls

i also wouldn't want to waste so mych of my time that way. i've got poo poo to do

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Budget Prefuse posted:

tales of xillia is asking me to pick a main character. i'm not going to play through a 50+ hour long RPG twice so can someone help me out here. what's the differences between the two
like, four scenes, tops. maybe two hours of content max.

jude's side gets to fight two major villains while milla's side wanders around on a beach, so if you're only gonna play once then go with jude (milla is way cooler though)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't particularly find it hard but I don't take as long with RPGs as most people so I just put in a few hours a day and get through them pretty quick. Portable ones are nice because I can play them on the train or whatnot which is a lot of otherwise complete downtime.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Strangely I can't get anything done on consoles or PC but when it comes to portable games I put in just as many hours as I could in high school. I could have the same amount of time in the day to play video games but the ability to start and stop it at any point makes a world of difference in my playtime. My Vita and 3DS library are 90% RPG.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

al-azad posted:

Strangely I can't get anything done on consoles or PC but when it comes to portable games I put in just as many hours as I could in high school. I could have the same amount of time in the day to play video games but the ability to start and stop it at any point makes a world of difference in my playtime. My Vita and 3DS library are 90% RPG.
I am the exact same way and it confuses all my friends. I can play a handheld basically forever, but I lose interest or start thinking about stuff I need to get done an hour or two into a PC or console game.

Plus, yeah, grad school means way less time for fun stuff.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

al-azad posted:

Phil Lamarr is the best Final Fantasy character.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I definitely find it harder to play long games than I used to, and unfortunately I don't have any real mandatory idle time to play handhelds. This has mostly resulted in me having an enormous backlog of games I'll never get to.

Strangely though, I can still get into things like SNES or PS2-gen RPGs easier than modern games like an Assassin's Creed or something. For some reason modern games just seem like a bigger commitment to start up every time, compared to older, simpler games.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm still constantly tempted to play PS1 and PS2 RPGs even though I've recently got a PS3 with plenty of games I want to play. I think they'll always be my favourite, just looking at screenshots of sprite based Playstation games gets me a bit excited

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ImpAtom posted:

Portable ones are nice because I can play them on the train or whatnot which is a lot of otherwise complete downtime.

Basically this. I've been playing through FFXIII since it hit PC and I'm still barely into it, but I've finished two EO titles and Fantasy Life at work/on breaks/riding the train in that span.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Basically this. I've been playing through FFXIII since it hit PC and I'm still barely into it, but I've finished two EO titles and Fantasy Life at work/on breaks/riding the train in that span.

I'm blanking here. EO?

Edit: N/m. Etrian Odyssey, figured it out.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

etrian odyssey

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Speaking of Etrian Odyssey, do y'all have words to say about Persona Q? I've always been lukewarm about Etrian Odyssey; I had a hard time staying interested due to the games' extremely slow pacing and near-absent story elements, though I liked their mechanics and the difficulty felt just right.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

do you want the same structure with worse mechanics and dungeon design because then Persona Q might work for you

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
pq is also horrifyingly easy and trivial to break, just get EO4 instead. who cares about story in a dungeon crawler anyways

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Also how is Fantasy Life? I've been mildly curious about this one since it came out, but never enough to run out and buy it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

punk rebel ecks posted:

No because there really hasn't been a good console JRPG released in forever. Everything else has been on vita/3ds and you just fit those in when you can, and even that has been VERY light lately (Persona Q, Tales of Heart R, and uhhhh I guess that's it).

PC RPGs I still have a hard time finding time for. I still have yet to finish Divinity Original Sin. DA:I taking like eleventy thousand hours didn't help.

Schwartzcough posted:

Strangely though, I can still get into things like SNES or PS2-gen RPGs easier than modern games like an Assassin's Creed or something. For some reason modern games just seem like a bigger commitment to start up every time, compared to older, simpler games.
I like to call this the cutscene problem, or sometimes even the voice acting problem if I am feeling really compulsive. I have the problem where I just get really burnt out on games that are cutscene heavy when I just want to play the RPG portion, but I still don't like skipping cutscenes or voice acting cause ~IT'S PART OF THE EXPERIENCE~. Older games I can at least read at my very fast reading speed and skim the dumb parts.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 10, 2015

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Hopefully in the future they will have some type of handheld PC that runs Windows so I can play my Steam and GoG games on it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MockingQuantum posted:

Also how is Fantasy Life? I've been mildly curious about this one since it came out, but never enough to run out and buy it.

It's very... "single-player MMO" is seriously the most accurate description. On the one hand, if you're a completionist, this game will drive you nuts with the amount of quests, classes, and partners to hunt down. But if you're more of the "I am going to skip filler content/only do the story and interesting missions" type of RPG player? Well, uh. Skip it. Also, the combat is the worst part of the game, hands down. I cannot even call it serviceable. It's lovely.

On the other hand, as people have discovered, you can do the entire game combatless as one of the crafting classes, story and all. I was interested in it because I'm that guy who loves crafting in MMOs and the variety of roles to do with that were great, but I also began trying to level other things to take advantage of it and it just made the flaws of most of the game really, really apparent.

I'll also pass on that the major tip I was given before I bought it was "play this before Rune Factory 4, because RF4 eats Fantasy Life's loving lunch". I have a copy of that sitting around I'll probably start soon, but if it's as large a leap over RF3 as that was past 2 - yes. It totally will. (Hell, I'll even go so far as to say RF3 was better than Fantasy Life, overall.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mr E posted:

Also if you get the gun style from the englishman the game become hilarious.
If you start with/get the electric stun style or whatever it was, you can stun people in an AOE around you with it, then use a power attack to make theme explode into health orbs. Doesn't work on all enemies but it makes the ones it does work on trivial.

corn in the bible posted:

in other news, Newcomer is the best oldschool rpg ever how did i not know about it

I like how all the face portraits look kinda depressed.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

Speaking of Etrian Odyssey, do y'all have words to say about Persona Q? I've always been lukewarm about Etrian Odyssey; I had a hard time staying interested due to the games' extremely slow pacing and near-absent story elements, though I liked their mechanics and the difficulty felt just right.

The EO style of gameplay honestly kind of suffers when more "plot" is added, since about once or twice per floor you lose all momentum from dungeon crawling to watch a cutscene of them talking, usually about random poo poo that might be vaguely related to the current dungeon theme. It's also a lot easier than any Etrian Odyssey game, partially due to the decreased difficulty to allow you to use whoever you want out of 16 characters, partially due to the sub-persona mechanics working heavily in your favor.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Paperhouse posted:

I'm still constantly tempted to play PS1 and PS2 RPGs even though I've recently got a PS3 with plenty of games I want to play. I think they'll always be my favourite, just looking at screenshots of sprite based Playstation games gets me a bit excited

Same here. I don't know if it's pure nostalgia or if they really were just more interesting back then (not better, necessarily, we put up with a lot of tediousness). I'm replaying Chrono Trigger on the DS right now and it is easily the most engrossing RPG I'm playing, though I'm also playing FFXIII, FFX emulated, and FFIV re-release. A lot of the same executives were involved in all of the above, but CT comes out pretty far ahead on everything but battle mechanics smoothness. I'm not really counting graphics mainly because while FFXIII is a stunningly well modeled and animated game, CT was one of the very best looking games ever put out in sprite 2D, and it has aged well as a result. It still compares favorably with many 2D games made in the last five years for visuals.

Anyway, there are parts of XIII that are a very pretty snoozefest, visuals sure as poo poo aren't everything. CT has a really compelling story and involving gameplay. FFX does, too, and its visual style is pretty stellar even now. The models are often way more modern looking than other PS2 games since they really favored smooth, rounded shapes over hard edges, which translates much better over the years since it's way less distracting even at the clearly lower geometric complexity.

That said, there are a ton of great PS3 games for RPG fans too and I'm glad I picked one up a few years back instead of a 360. Though at the time "it plays blu-rays!" was still a major, save-you-a-few-hundred-bucks selling point. Did any of the 360's handful of JRPGs turn out well? How about that Blue Dragon one (am I remembering that right?) with a bunch of Final Fantasy folks working on it?

Anyone played Rogue Galaxy and can recommend it or not? Initial impression is I wish I'd played it back when it came out, since that's when I bought it and it was really impressive back then. But I've read that the story is pretty mediocre, which I could see coming from the studio. Great everything else, okay storytelling.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Forest Thief Pud posted:

The EO style of gameplay honestly kind of suffers when more "plot" is added, since about once or twice per floor you lose all momentum from dungeon crawling to watch a cutscene of them talking, usually about random poo poo that might be vaguely related to the current dungeon theme. It's also a lot easier than any Etrian Odyssey game, partially due to the decreased difficulty to allow you to use whoever you want out of 16 characters, partially due to the sub-persona mechanics working heavily in your favor.

This is true, but there are ways to deliver an interesting narrative that don't involve stopping the core gameplay in its tracks. For dungeon crawlers, I'd look at design like that of Paper Sorcerer except done by someone who isn't, in all honesty, a pretty bad writer.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'll also pass on that the major tip I was given before I bought it was "play this before Rune Factory 4, because RF4 eats Fantasy Life's loving lunch". I have a copy of that sitting around I'll probably start soon, but if it's as large a leap over RF3 as that was past 2 - yes. It totally will. (Hell, I'll even go so far as to say RF3 was better than Fantasy Life, overall.)

The similarity to Rune Factory is the exact reason why I didn't ever get Fantasy Life, actually. I got the first RF because in theory i would love the poo poo out of that kind of game, but it turned out to be pretty half baked and I really didn't enjoy it at all. I take it the series improved by the third game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I have Arcanum and I tried to play through a long time ago, but I stopped because the combat design was a giant turd. I wanna give the game another shot, but I don't want a repeat of the wolves and the bridge trolls in the first town. Is there anything I can do to make the combat bearable? I originally played as a sword guy, but I usually passed out after whiffing every strike.

I remember trying to look up cheats, but I couldn't find anything. If there aren't any, how can I build my character so I don't struggle so much in the beginning?