Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

also the future for amazon is to automate the pushing carts around part so all the humans do is put things into boxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

if i don't go shopping what else am i going to do with my weekends??!?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ok so the future is the 99% being pushed into the ocean by an advancing phalanx of robotic bulldozers because that's private property we're standing on and we're spoiling the view

not sure that's an improvement tbh

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

ok so the future is the 99% being pushed into the ocean by an advancing phalanx of robotic bulldozers because that's private property we're standing on and we're spoiling the view

well not for everybody

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
speak for yourself, obviously i'll be a captain of industry and not a terrified cowering serf as soon as the yoke of Big Government is struck from my back, you'll see :smug:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

also the future for amazon is to automate the pushing carts around part so all the humans do is put things into boxes

wow that's pretty disrespectful of machines

check your human privelege

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Mr Dog posted:

the future of the working class is death by heatstroke sprinting a cart around an un air conditioned warehouse after the morning's walk past the line of rights-less contingent workers desperate to take your job when you bite it

please don't post jeff bezos fantasies

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

yeah but other times you're like drat I need a louis vuitton wallet and some lube and if you live in a city you can have both of those things in like an hour

Today I needed some strange and uncommon light bulbs, a specific japanese knife-sharpening stone, and a bottle of fountain pen ink, and wouldn't you know it there were specialty stores for all three of those things within walking distance of each other.

Truly, large cities suit the needs of the everyman.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

hobbesmaster posted:

driving 0.5 miles instead of walking

nice.

when i was in school we had an english exam and one of the texts you had to read during it was about a british man who had moved with his family to america. he lived in one of those big mcmansion housing developments (this was at the height of the bush era) and there was no pavement to walk on around this vast estate so the only option was to drive everywhere. when he invited his neighbours over for dinner they drove from next door lmao

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
lol if all ur life's desires and needs arent contained inside of a single super wal-mart

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

one of my ex coworkers left to go build robots that automatically move, store, and manage pallets in a warehouse

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

syscall girl posted:

wow that's pretty disrespectful of machines

check your human privelege

the robots are getting to enjoy increased responsibility

I wonder if they'll get a title upgrade

SSU-1201 SENIOR WAREHOUSE SUPERVISING ROBOT

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

this is a really bad article

let's repeat the same sophomoric drivel about how "places that are meant to be alive just seem all the more dead maaaaaaaaaan" over and over again so it appears profound from the sheer repitition

and you can see the points where he went "poo poo i'd better pull out a thesaurus so that people think i'm not a lovely writer", let's make up words like "ephemerality" so i sound smart

also noah built an ark, not an arc you loving dingus.

gee 200k in the hole on this journalism degree, i'd better pay somebody to let me work as an intern for their lovely loving website or i might not look as enthusiastic as the other worthless rejects chasing all the nonexistent jobs in this sector

don't forget all the crap he spouts about how the chinese are just culturally incapable of planning because communists

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i don't even know why i'm being such an angry whiny child today, maybe i need more sleep or something

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Metrication posted:

when i was in school we had an english exam and one of the texts you had to read during it was about a british man who had moved with his family to america. he lived in one of those big mcmansion housing developments (this was at the height of the bush era) and there was no pavement to walk on around this vast estate so the only option was to drive everywhere. when he invited his neighbours over for dinner they drove from next door lmao

cool. in america we teach first graders how to count to 10 using british dental xrays

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Jonny 290 posted:

cool. in america we teach first graders how to count to 10 using british dental xrays

are you ok ?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

you seem pretty upset by my post

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that just seems a little propagandistic to be feeding Year Six or whatever you goofs call it over there

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

it was a newspaper article by a journalist iirc

are you suggesting i am 11 years old? because i am actually 9 irl

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Metrication posted:

unlike the uk, pvaed roads aren't considered a luxury here

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Today I needed some strange and uncommon light bulbs, a specific japanese knife-sharpening stone, and a bottle of fountain pen ink, and wouldn't you know it there were specialty stores for all three of those things within walking distance of each other.

Truly, large cities suit the needs of the everyman.

amazon.com suits my needs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Metrication posted:

in america, we make fun of the tourists who come over from england to visit new york and say things like "oh and we thought we might drive to texas for the weekend"

it's even worse in canada, where in the middle of the country there are unpopulated areas between cities that are vaster than your entire nation

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
every time i fly from the uk to the us the in-flight map thing shows us flying past St John's at the eastern tip of Canada and i think to myself "jfc who the gently caress would want to live there"

there's "you need to drive 30 miles to get to the nearest settlement" and there's "you need to go to the goddamn airport to get to the nearest settlement"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

height of great britain, north to south: ~850km

distance we'd drive when i was a kid to see my grandparents for a long weekend: ~850km

e: distance i rode my motorcycle while puttering around the state in one longer-than-average day once: ~850km

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 9, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

carry on then posted:

lol that sounds interesting, did they mention any specific examples of what they do to make people keep moving?

at the malls around Pittsburgh if you're in a group talking about where to eat, security will come and tell you to keep moving or they'll throw you out

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

at the malls around Pittsburgh if you're in a group talking about where to eat, security will come and tell you to keep moving or they'll throw you out

blarted again

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

blarted again

I was in vegas last year and they were shooting paul blart 2 in the wynn

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

in america, we make fun of the tourists who come over from england to visit new york and say things like "oh and we thought we might drive to texas for the weekend"

it's even worse in canada, where in the middle of the country there are unpopulated areas between cities that are vaster than your entire nation

i can go on a train that goes under the sea to another country :)

Metrication fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 10, 2015

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Metrication posted:

it's the same continent afaik

just some nice solid shale under a few feet of water

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Metrication posted:

same

new jersey is weeeeeeeird

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

i don't care if your fancy train goes under water unless it's lit at the bottom and you can look out the windows and see whales and poo poo like bioshock

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Metrication posted:

thats a river

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

thats a river
lake separates us and eu

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

qirex posted:

this is not the future

it is the present

dehumanize yourself and face to shover robot

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Mr Dog posted:

the future of pusher bots will finally come to be as lowtax predicted

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

eschaton posted:

this is not the future

it is the present

dehumanize yourself and face to shover robot

heres the associated video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMpsMt7ETi8

the fulfillment center of tomorrow is looking more like an assembly line than anything else

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i'm surprised there isn't a modern day luddite movement blowing up amazon fulfillment centers and stuff.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

fits my needs posted:

i'm surprised there isn't a modern day luddite movement blowing up amazon fulfillment centers and stuff.

modern day luddites live in the williamsburgs and bushwicks of the world and wouldnt dare travel to /that/ part of town.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FamDav posted:

modern day luddites live in the williamsburgs and bushwicks of the world and wouldnt dare travel to /that/ part of town.

i know one

he collects typewriters and doesn't believe in using facebook or smartphones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fits my needs posted:

most people don't actually want to work in a warehouse

• Locked thread