Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I wonder if Disney will actually have some semblance of quality control over the new EU this time around and it's okay for a while before it inevitably turns into a giant overblown festering pile of poo poo

*reads some marvel comics*

lol who are we kidding honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fetus Tree posted:

he has a beard.

Duh

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

RocketLunatic posted:

Stuff like this... that it blows people's minds is weird. Because it's just bad writing, and if Lucas had paid attention to any of the few good ideas from the EU or gotten decent script writers, he could have made it work better.
http://kotaku.com/wild-theory-luke-skywalker-wasnt-meant-to-be-a-jedi-h-1678357085

This theory conveniently forgets that Vader assumed Padme was dead. And if you don't want to acknowledge the prequels, then it seems like Vader didn't know about Luke until after a New Hope. Not saying Lucas did this intentionally, its probably just a coincidence that it happened this way.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Well Luke is going to have a beard in this one so maybe he turned evil in the 31(?) years between films.

His first action as a servant of the Dark Side is to slam a garage door on Han Solo's foot.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Fetus Tree posted:

Still the best star wars thread on sa

well touche i guess, i keep coming back to this fuckin trough

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Fetus Tree posted:

its true, just look at the star wars thread in CD and try not to claw your eyes out

people seriously arguing about how the prequels are marxist allegory for the spiritual meaningfullness of paying your taxes and how jar jar was in fact the father of darth vader and burt reynolds

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

its true, just look at the star wars thread in CD and try not to claw your eyes out

people seriously arguing about how the prequels are marxist allegory for the spiritual meaningfullness of paying your taxes and how jar jar was in fact the father of darth vader and burt reynolds

a classic

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/27744/

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/27743/

i would approve of all those casting decisions

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He's originally from the 1970s Marvel comics:

Note that he was apparently inspired by Bugs Bunny and appeared 7 years before Bucky O'Hare, that other green gun-toting spacefaring rabbit.

Hmmn, who's the old guy in the back right there?

quote:

Hess Korrin was a Human male who worked as a librarian on the academic world of Obroa-skai. He was tasked with the cataloguing of antiquities, and spent much of his time on his own. Korrin spent years researching the Jedi Order. He became a total fanatic of the Jedi, and an expert on all there was to know about them. The man began indulging in wild fantasies, and his grasp on reality weakened. Korrin was taken by surprise when the Imperial Security Bureau ordered that the antiquities section of Obroa-skai be closed down, citing a "public safety issue." The bureau destroyed Korrin's entire wing.

Korrin's mind snapped, and his hold on reality vanished utterly. He was determined to preserve the memory of the Jedi Order, and believed it to be his sacred duty to maintain and revive their crusade for peace and justice throughout the galaxy. He adopted the name of "Don-Wan Kihotay" in honor of his new quest, and equipped himself with a yellow-bladed lightsaber, replica Jedi armor, and Jedi robes. Such views and undertakings were heretical under Emperor Palpatine's Galactic Empire, and "Kihotay's" Ithorian manager realized that the man's heresy would get him executed. Kihotay was clandestinely transported offworld the Ithorian, but the ISB gave chase.

He found himself on Aduba-3, where he was a source of amusement for the local spacers. Kihotay later joined the Star-Hoppers of Aduba-3, a ragtag team assembled by Captain Han Solo to defend the township of Onacra from the Cloud-Riders of Serji-X Arrogantus. Kihotay participated in the defense of the town and even did battle with a gargantuan Sithspawn. He later passed away on Telos IV, in a medical station when it fell under attack from the bounty hunter Beilert Valance....

Lets see how Lucasarts hosed up video games.

http://kotaku.com/how-lucasarts-fell-apart-1401731043

quote:

In early 2009, a small team of LucasArts employees started working on a Star Wars game called Underworld, according to two people familiar with the project. Designed to complement an in-development television show of the same name, Underworld went through several early designs, including an open-world game with quests and other RPG-ish elements.

By the middle of the year, the project had evolved into a co-op shooter modeled after Gears of War, set during a period of time between the two Star Wars film trilogies. The game would unfold on the planet Coruscant, in the subterrean world of Level 1313, and like the TV show, it’d be grittier than anything we’d seen from Star Wars before: crime families, mature content, the works.

(The television show would be an “HBO-style adult-targeted drama,” according to a source, but it was never produced, and its status is still up in the air.)

The team started staffing up, and they put together early prototypes of the Underworld game, which some LucasArts employees jokingly referred to as “Gears of Star Wars.” But in mid-2010, when Paul Meegan took over as president of the studio, he didn’t think the game was innovative enough, according to a person familiar with the situation. Some key Underworld staff agreed, and they rebooted again, this time transforming Underworld from a co-op shooter to a cinematic adventure inspired by the Uncharted action-adventure games. The Coruscant setting would stay the same, but the action would be totally different.

Per directive from George Lucas himself, the game’s protagonist would be a bounty hunter—a generic jack-of-all-trades without the Jedi powers that usually took center-stage in Star Wars games. Instead of swinging lightsabers and using the Force, players would manipulate gadgets and capture bounties for cash. Team members were psyched about the new direction for the project, which they called 1313

But the goal posts kept shifting, ex-team members say. Every so often, Lucas would check in with the team, and as he grew to trust the staff behind 1313, he’d offer up changes, asking them to switch characters and rewrite the story based on what he felt would be more fitting for the game. Ex-LucasArts staff describe Lucas as someone who cared deeply about telling stories, but didn’t know much about the game development process—every Lucas-mandated story change meant shifts in every department: the design, the art, the programming. How could that not be frustrating?

In 2012, just eight weeks before E3, George Lucas dropped a bombshell: instead of starring a generic bounty hunter, 1313 would be helmed by the iconic mercenary Boba Fett.

Some staffers tried to push back—they’d spent over two years working under an entirely different vision—but Lucas and his team of executives wouldn’t reconsider. They wanted a game with Boba in it.

...Although some saw 1313 as an Uncharted clone—and even today, that's how some people look at the cancelled game—one person familiar with development of the game emphasized that the newly-implemented jetpack changed the design entirely, adding a vertical element to the action and platforming that gave things a fresher feel.

Then, in September, everything changed. LucasFilm enacted a hiring freeze, according to four people who were there at the time. All marketing plans were halted, and the company went into silent mode. Production continued on Star Wars 1313, but without the capacity to continue hiring the staff they needed, the team was crippled.

The freeze also led to endless questions revolving around Star Wars: First Assault, a multiplayer shooter that had also changed shape multiple times since it first began development in 2010. Created because George Lucas wanted to compete with the gargantuan Call of Duty series, First Assault was originally a large-scale shooter set in a time period after Return of the Jedi, according to two people familiar with the game.

Then, following direction from executives at LucasFilm, the game moved back to the Clone War era. This was a common theme at LucasArts, sources say—First Assault, which was code-named Trigger, shifted and evolved because of ever-changing direction, just like 1313. The goal posts just kept moving.

Trigger eventually morphed from attempted Call of Duty killer to multi-step project designed to reintroduce Battlefront to the world. The first game, First Assault, was set to be unveiled in September of 2012 and released in the spring of 2013. The second step was a project called Version Two, designed to show off vehicle prototypes and other Battlefront elements that didn't make it into First Assault.

...“It never felt like people at the top cared about making great games,” said another person connected to LucasArts. “A lot of awesome projects never went anywhere because, ‘it’s not gonna make enough money.’”

Take the case of "Star Wars GTA," for example. During the early days of the 1313 project, some top staff at LucasArts wanted it to be an open-world, Grand Theft Auto-style Star Wars game set on Coruscant, according to two people familiar with that project. It was a fantasy for many on the team, and the thought is enticing—who wouldn’t want to explore and cause mayhem in a world full of seedy bounty hunters and Star Wars crime families?

Looking at their contemporaries at Rockstar and Ubisoft, LucasArts staffers plotted out how many people it would take to build a game like that—hundreds—and how much money it’d cost—millions. That was too much of a risk for the executives at LucasFilm, sources say.6

“Of course there was no appetite to make that kind of investment,” said one person familiar with goings-on at LucasArts. “That idea kinda came and went literally within the span of two months.”

Later, when Far Cry 2 designer Clint Hocking joined LucasArts, he and a small team spent a year and a half designing their open-world game—a "wonderfully complex game driven by choice and consequence" that never quite got the resources it needed, according to one person familiar with Hocking's project. That project was also cancelled, and Hocking left the company in mid-2012.

In 2009, just before starting work on Underworld, LucasArts axed an Indiana Jones game for Xbox 360 and PS3 that had been in development for years, according to people familiar with the project...

“Every couple of years, George Lucas would get re-engaged for a period of time,” said another person connected to LucasArts. “The whole company would pivot around George’s interests. And then it would fizzle out.”

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 9, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Gammatron 64 posted:

I wonder if Disney will actually have some semblance of quality control over the new EU this time around and it's okay for a while before it inevitably turns into a giant overblown festering pile of poo poo

*reads some marvel comics*

lol who are we kidding honestly

Well Marvel Comics can be all over the place because they have a policy of late that lets a writer write a story without being shackled to back stories. But the Marvel Movies stuff seems to be kept fairly well organized. Applying that model to new Star Wars stuff wouldn't be the worst way to go about it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

in the future all movies will be star wars and marvel

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Nckdictator posted:

Lets see how Lucasarts hosed up video games.

Also there was a great bit I read somewhere about Lucas dropping by Lucasarts and the team were like "So our hero is Jim Bob Whoever the gently caress-" (I forget the name) and Lucas said something like "I don't like that name, he should have a faster name like Zip Zipper or something" and everyone thought he was kidding but he was serious.

edit: found it!

quote:

George Lucas would periodically check in on the status of the games his company was making, lending creative input and advice. The developer I talked to sighs, and agitatedly says, “In one viewing of Fracture, [Lucas] said it looked really good, but he didn’t like [Mason Briggs’] name. We’re like, ‘What do you mean, George?’ He responded to the effect of, ‘It doesn’t really fit. When he jumps on stuff, he moves pretty fast. I like B.J. Dart.

“So everybody’s like, ‘No, he’s gotta be f---ing with us.’ He’s absolutely not. So when something like that happened – in the middle of the campaign, mind you – we have to go back through that entire naming convention again… from scratch.” From that second session, Jet Brody was born.

and:

quote:

A similar situation arose with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed’s protagonist, Starkiller. “[That name] was only supposed to be a nickname or call sign, not a proper name from the beginning,” a former LucasArts employee says. The development team hoped that Lucas would give Vader’s apprentice a Darth moniker, which at the time, was something that didn’t happen often.

“The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’ There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”

:allears:

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 9, 2015

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

KiddieGrinder posted:

Also there was a great bit I read somewhere about Lucas dropping by Lucasarts and the team were like "So our hero is Jim Bob Whoever the gently caress-" (I forget the name) and Lucas said something like "I don't like that name, he should have a faster name like Zip Zipper or something" and everyone thought he was kidding but he was serious.

edit: found it!

You left out the best part.

quote:

The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’ There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”

Edit: Well, guess not!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

This thread keeps repeating itself. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Hingehead posted:

That poo poo owned a lot. I had the suitcase shaped hoth playset from the action fleet series, along with the remote controlled AT-AT walker and several other versions of the AT-AT and scout walkers. The battle felt like it took forever. I miss being a kid.

The Death Star playset loving ruled, with the spiral elevator and poo poo. My best friend had it, I had Castle Greyskull, so we would routinely have CRAZY rear end STAR WARS/HE-MAN CROSSOVERS

I had a smaller Hoth playset which had a collapsing ice bridge, and Yoda's house which had "levitating rocks" and a swamp made out of foam for you to shove R2-D2 in

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Tender Bender posted:

hopefully it'll work

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He's originally from the 1970s Marvel comics:

Note that he was apparently inspired by Bugs Bunny and appeared 7 years before Bucky O'Hare, that other green gun-toting spacefaring rabbit.

This showed up on a friend's Facebook feed. He'd been reading through those Marvel SW books and came across Lando dressed up as Captain Harlock.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Fetus Tree posted:

There is no SMG. Thread rules by default.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Tender Bender posted:

It's going to be good
It's going to be good
It's going to be good
It's going to be good

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the cd thread is the worst thread in the history of CD

"no, everything in the prequels was put there by george deliberately and it is his vision for the bad things about the jedi and the republic"

*ignores the making-of footage that clearly shows that george realised how badly he hosed up up to and including wishing he could re-edit the first film*

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

tbqh, i find george lucas kind of sad in a way. he thought that he was the man behind star wars' success and decided he could make the prequels all by his own. and then he poured his heart and soul into the first one, and it was not received well. after that, it strikes me like he just gave up on the prequels as anything except a money-making exercise.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Despite being BFFs with Speilberg he just seems like a guy who's never seen a writer or director worth their salt at work.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Little kids around 5-14, the actual target market of Star Wars, seem to consistently love the poo poo out of the new trilogy while it's entirely the lightsaber equivalent of bronies bitching about how superior the 80s movies were so actually I would say that the prequels were really good?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

The worst ever is the old Prometheus thread, which was something like 800+ pages of the same five posting superstars having the same, single argument with 3,000 posters from outside CD as they wandered into the thread. But I will grant honorable mention to a thread where first-year liberal arts majors willfully ignore documented information about films in order to theorycraft what Marx would have thought about the movie (the only metric on which movies should be judged).

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

tbqh, i find george lucas kind of sad in a way. he thought that he was the man behind star wars' success and decided he could make the prequels all by his own. and then he poured his heart and soul into the first one, and it was not received well. after that, it strikes me like he just gave up on the prequels as anything except a money-making exercise.

his wife did all the work

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Milky Moor posted:

"no, everything in the prequels was put there by george deliberately and it is his vision for the bad things about the jedi and the republic"

*ignores the making-of footage that clearly shows that george realised how badly he hosed up up to and including wishing he could re-edit the first film*

The present thread is a rehash of pretty much everything posted in 2013-2014, it was vaguely interesting the first time around, but not sure why people keep beating that dead horse.

*Visits CD, sees 200+ new posts in Star Wars thread, expects Star Wars news/spoilers, sees page after page of same stupid prequel discussion from last 2-3 years, this time on matte lighting. Exits*

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I cringed.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Young Freud posted:

This showed up on a friend's Facebook feed. He'd been reading through those Marvel SW books and came across Lando dressed up as Captain Harlock.

Marvel must have gotten some Captain Harlock tapes while they were working on Spiderman with Toei.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

why do they have two separate methods of corpse disposal

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Endor_Holocaust

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
tbf the empire did wreck a lot of poo poo on a planetary-scale (if not straight up on a solar-scale)

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Little kids around 5-14, the actual target market of Star Wars, seem to consistently love the poo poo out of the new trilogy while it's entirely the lightsaber equivalent of bronies bitching about how superior the 80s movies were so actually I would say that the prequels were really good?

Your metric for the quality of a movie is whether or not children like it?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That makes you cringe? I think it's one of the best things in the EU.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
personally i don't think any of the star wars are good, so its a moot point to argue which turd is the best

instead, wallow in the filth and enjoy it for the base pleasure it brings

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

You know, I've seen that image before, and this is the first time I looked closely enough to notice the central Ewok is not running toward the reader while on fire.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

Marvel must have gotten some Captain Harlock tapes while they were working on Spiderman with Toei.

It depends. Captain Harlock was shown on Japanese-language TV outlets in Los Angeles and New York in the late '70s, shown up on Quebecis TV when the French localization aired, and then distributed by Harmony Gold on syndicated TV in the mid-80s. And, even then, he had shown up in Roger Corman film localization of Galaxy Express 999 in 1980.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

If you look at the story and themes and setting of a stupid trade dispute and galactic politics they're obviously not solely aimed at kids so this argument is dumb, they're bad movies that didn't work, kids might like jar jar and fart jokes but there's a whole bunch of boring poo poo explicitly not there for kids too which was bad.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
kids actually thought the new trilogy was boring as gently caress as it veered between trade agreements and solemn stone faced jedis travelling around places for incomprehensible reasons. Also the action was bad

At least this is what I thought when I watched phantom menace (more like phantom GARABGE lol) back in 99 and im pretty sure i was a kid back then

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

something something trade disputes something something mass murder something something decapitations something something graphic immolation

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

this is the truth, brother

Action fleet toys were the #1 coolest Star Wars toys ever and they're the only ones I'm not selling

I never had hoth, but I had the death star. Had most of the ships too, even the really rare ones like the TIE Defender, E-Wing and StarViper.

Check out all the TIE pliot, pull their helmet off, one of them will be George Lucas's head underneath it. He came with the defender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Hingehead posted:

A large portion of the Death Star with IG-88 intact, jettisoned into a far off flung of the outer rim of the galaxy and into a black hole, ultimately traveling to an another galaxy of another time, the era of the battlestar galatica in the milky way galaxy. IG-88 and the death star became the cyclon, a precursor to the borgs in which they mastered time travel, going back into time , effectively changing the course of human history to the point where humanity have been led to the era of star trek instead of the battlestar galatic era as they mastered space travel and diplomacy instead of space battles.

WOOKIEPEIDA

quote:

Much of the debris of the superweapon was sent through a hyperspace wormhole that briefly opened up when the Death Star's hyperdrive regulator was destroyed.

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

Holy........loving......poo poo..........I was just joking about the DS II's debris going into a black hole.....and yet the loving EU actually does this!

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

• Locked thread