Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Well I've only read The Technicolor Time Machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

What happens if the officers get shot in these big complicated combined arms formations? Wouldn't everything fall apart?
Everyone should know what to do at the most basic level (the average length of service in a bunch of the muster rolls I looked at was something like five years, and green troops can break anyway whether their officers are there or not). That doesn't cover tactics though, and I have heard of a lack of officers leading to colossal fuckups; at Rocroi, the only high-ranking officer who knew what he was doing was killed and all the other higher officers ran, which is why two tercios ended up getting shelled for hours without doing very much in response.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 10, 2015

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

H Bean Piper was just a little obsessed with alternative timelines and world building based on that. Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen had an astounding background in skills needed to uplift a world into serious gunpowder technology. Never found pressing need to make paper though; seems he dreaded paperwork.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The whole "guy falls through time and makes it so X event happens properly is a very common trope in recent Russian trashy pulp fiction. They're all awful and real historians make fun of them relentlessly.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ensign Expendable posted:

The whole "guy falls through time and makes it so X event happens properly is a very common trope in recent Russian trashy pulp fiction. They're all awful and real historians make fun of them relentlessly.

Could you give some examples?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The way to riches in Victorian Britain was India. A lot of our modern terminology for newly rich fucks actually originate from that period.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Such as?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Here are some of my favorite Hapsburgs, in some...I guess time-lapse pictures. These people had a lot of portraits done, so you can see them live and grow, almost year by year.

Philip II had two daughters. Infanta Isabella Clara Eugenia was born in 1566, and Infanta Catalina Micaela/Catherine Michelle was born in 1567.

Isabella Clara Eugenia is on the right, Catalina Micaela is on the left. This picture is from approx. 1568. Note that the two are already in miniature (and absurdly adorable) versions of adult clothing; they are already being trained to be what they are, even though the younger girl can't really walk yet. (The thing she's standing in is an early modern baby walker. Yes, we've had these things for at least five hundred years.)

Note also their eyes: both of them have eye sockets that are...a little out of true. Their right eyes are a little lower than their lefts, and this shows up in almost every painting of them. They're also redheads, like every Hapsburg on earth. I'd like to see their DNA tests, except that I wouldn't.

I can't find a date for this, but it's by a woman, Sofonisba Anguissola, who also painted The Prado Philip II. Catalina Micaela is so over this. Did you know that womens' corsets at the time are metal cages? She does.

Here they are in a Book of Hours that belongs to Catherine de Medici, approx 1570:
Isabella is 4, but she looks older:

Catalina is 3, and ditto. Was this book misdated? Possibly the illuminator didn't know what they looked like and just put generic children in there.

Coello Antonio Sanchez, approx 1575. Isabella is 9, and Catalina Micaela is 8. Neither of them are doing very much with their lives yet, but they're both quite intelligent. Also, Hapsburgs look like clones (except Catalina's hair is curly--you can see that in every picture, including the one where she's about a year old and has a little fluff of baby hair).

Sanchez again, 1579. Isabella at 13. Waistlines are dropping, and little top hats are in.

As young women, both of them were strikingly beautiful. Here's The Notorious I.C.E, making the Hapsburg jaw look good:

Little top hats are definitely in.

And here's Catalina. We've finally gotten rid of the little Tudory sleeve puff things.

They're both highly capable. Isabella is the only person Phillip II trusts to handle his paperwork with him. Catalina was described as intelligent and arrogant. She became the Duchess of Savoy when she married Charles Emanuel I, and was resented for trying to introduce Spanish court ceremony (which is tedious) to that country. However, according to Wikipedia, "she soon gained respect because of her political and diplomatic skill, which she also used to defend the autonomy of Savoy against Spain." Eat it, cousins.

But here their stories diverge, because the smart, arrogant Catalina, who exchanged loving letters with her father after she moved away, died in 1597. She was thirty years old.

Isabella Clara Eugenia lived. Her face gets heavier year by year...in fact, she begins to look a lot like her father.
Hats get bigger, ruffs stay small.

In 1599 Isabella marries her cousin (lol) Archduke Albert. They are joint sovereigns of the Spanish Netherlands, and she's waaaaay more intelligent than he is. Albert was also the Archbishop of Toledo before the marriage, but fuckit, release him from his commitments because we have a dynasty to expand. Shortly before Philip II died, he renounced his rights to the Netherlands in favor of the pair.

When Isabella gains a little more weight, she no longer looks as much like her dad, but the resemblance is still there. Also, ruffs get bigger.

Franz Pourbos the Younger. There's rich, and then there's earrings in your hair rich.

Not sure who painted this, c. 1600.

Rubens painted this; maybe it was restored poorly? Photographed badly? The faces look lovely. Ruffs: still huge. Little top hats: no longer trendy. The Netherlands: ceasefire at the moment, but a resounding feh to all of it.

Philip II died on 13 September 1598. Once he got sick, Isabella took care of him personally for years.

Upon Albert's death in 1621 Isabella took vows as a lay Franciscan.

She was also appointed Governor of the Netherlands. The glory of the victory at Breda (1626) went to her.

She died in 1633, at the age of 67.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 11, 2015

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Am I the only one that sees John Cleese here?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
That's deffinitely John Cleese.

PittTheElder posted:

Do your guys have any strong opinions about the Ottoman Turks?

http://www.skd.museum/en/museums-institutions/residenzschloss/ruestkammer/tuerckische-cammer/index.html

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 10, 2015

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Clearly he invented time machine and taught Prussians how to goose step:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

The Wehrmacht vibe coming off of that NVA uniform is pretty eerie.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Koesj posted:

The Wehrmacht vibe coming off of that NVA uniform is pretty eerie.

But the helmet is pretty funny!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

JcDent posted:

But the helmet is pretty funny!

But it's basically a Stahlhelm M1945, so even more influences from the big, bad, Verbrecherisches Regime.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
What, no modern Russian soldiers doing it around Red Square? almost had the full set!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Who are those guys?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

What, no modern Russian soldiers doing it around Red Square? almost had the full set!

John Cleese was a Prussian Grenadier.

By the way, did goose step come to Russia from Prussia?

Tias posted:

Who are those guys?

East German soldiers.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Throatwarbler posted:

The way to riches in Victorian Britain was India. A lot of our modern terminology for newly rich fucks actually originate from that period.

Oh right, he said "terminology", not "technology".

But yeah, from what little I know of India, it was an old place with a ton of history and civilization, that like lots of old places with long recorded histories went through a scheduled dynastic decline and was promptly gobbled up by an expansionist society that had undergone an industrial revolution and went from cottage/workshop production models to centralised factory production models.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks.

So, I'm nearly through Zen at War, and it's a pretty good read. As a labor history buff, I'm pretty happy that it touched upon Uchiyama Gudō, anarcho-communist, anti-war radical zen priest with balls so large they really should have their own island!

It also touches upon the role of the Yasukuni shrine. Can anyone give me a quick run-down on why the shrine still remains a hot-button issue in Japan? I understood that honouring it shits upon the memory of Koreans and Chinese dead during occupation, but now it seems like there is more to it.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Phobophilia posted:

But yeah, from what little I know of India, it was an old place with a ton of history and civilization, that like lots of old places with long recorded histories went through a scheduled dynastic decline and was promptly gobbled up by an expansionist society that had undergone an industrial revolution and went from cottage/workshop production models to centralised factory production models.

And, in fact, a large number of the conquerors of Indian civilization realised that it had once been an extremely advanced and powerful civilization. People assume that British imperialist thought merely in terms of linear progress, but the conquest of what was widely acknowledged to be a great civilization created dialogues to do with explaining civilizational decay, some of which became a feature of very different debates (for example, to argue that Southern American society had been degraded by slavery).

Also, it was around this time that people like F. Max Muller were working out the concept of indo-European civilization, which also gave Indian civilization a certain caché. To quote my own master's thesis:

me posted:

Müller writes 'India can never be anglicised, but it can be re-invigorated' - brought up, by conquest, from its civilisational decline. This was to be an Imperial conquest and a 'conquest by education' in which ancient Indian literature could made a part of Indian education in such a way that it would grant self-respect and moral vigour to the Indians. This initiative would have been intended to be of benefit to the general level of Indian intellect, and therefore useful in abolishing degraded customs and habits - particularly the Hindu religion. Secondly, it would have acquainted Indians with religious writings that suggest the Hindu pantheon arose out of a demiurge, an individual and original creator. This was in anticipation of Argyll's own professions that monotheism, not polytheism, was the first religious form, and had Indian culture had merely fallen away from it.

Tias posted:

Thanks.

So, I'm nearly through Zen at War, and it's a pretty good read. As a labor history buff, I'm pretty happy that it touched upon Uchiyama Gudō, anarcho-communist, anti-war radical zen priest with balls so large they really should have their own island!

It also touches upon the role of the Yasukuni shrine. Can anyone give me a quick run-down on why the shrine still remains a hot-button issue in Japan? I understood that honouring it shits upon the memory of Koreans and Chinese dead during occupation, but now it seems like there is more to it.

Glad you liked it. The shrine isn't as hot-button in Japan as it is in China and Korea. One explanation would be - in addition to being offensive, it is also a good item the Chinese can use to beat the Japanese about the head in foreign policy, for example in relation to disputed islands. It is also symbolic to them of a general and continued tendency towards acting as the leading nation in Asia in Japanese foreign policy.

Meanwhile, you have the Japanese far right trying to rehabilitate the Japanese empire. Even mainstream politicians are starting to give way to that pressure, because they want to live in a fully rehabilitated country and don't want to have to constantly make remonstrations. They sort of feel as if Japan has now paid its due, and seem to think the best way of dealing with this is to pretend none of this pesky war stuff never really happened. You should ask in the D&D Japanese Politics thread for a lo-down, maybe.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 10, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tias posted:

Well, as a shrine, it's not just a memorial, it's literally a place of worship. There are two and a half million soldiers enshrined there, about a thousand were convicted war criminals.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Hogge Wild posted:

Could you give some examples?

Vlasov's army goes back in time and wins the Russian Civil War.

Proper Orthodox Christian Communists (these are surprisingly common in fiction these days) go back in time to the Russian Revolution and shoot up all those pesky Trotskyists.

Then there are a million and one "office worker goes to WWII and marches through Berlin in 1941" and they all meld together. I don't actually read this trash, I just heard about these a lot.

Due to the unparalleled flexibility of the Russian language, this genre (popadanysy, one who ended up somewhere) is mangled into vpopudantsy (one who lets you put it in the butt).

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Siivola posted:

Well, as a shrine, it's not just a memorial, it's literally a place of worship. There are two and a half million soldiers enshrined there, about a thousand were convicted war criminals.

Japanese people visit their shrines all the time, you'd be mistaken to attach the western symbolism of "place of worship" to these places. It's not comparable to making the hajj, or even going to a baptist church every sunday. Most people are there because they've got family members enshrined and they have time off. Or, they're just touring around and it's just customary to pray whenever you visit any shrine.

PM Abe visited recently and made a big deal of it himself, there was a huge press swirl around it. That's why the Korean/Chinese reaction this time was more visceral. Geopolitics in East Asia are in a dynamic stage right now, and so official state visits to shrines like Yasukuni are deliberately provocative actions.

The shrine itself simply hosts ever soldier who died serving the Japan between 1868 and 1947. The choice to enshrine those war criminals was questionable, religious custom doesn't really allow for "taking it back".The administration of the shrine seems to have far-right leanings and does nothing to stop the use of the shrine as a symbol of Japanese Nationalists, but without the baggage of the rising Nationalist movement, I don't see it as very controversial. There are 2,500,000 people's names in the shrine.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

It's an Ottoman-themed day; their Mesopotamian forces are massing outside Qurna, and at Erzurum, Enver Pasha has time to fiddle with his train set, recalling some blokes from Syria by way of Mosul. Incidentally, similar fun and games have resulted in Van recently losing its military police garrison, off to deal with more pressing concerns on the Azerbaijan border, which I'm sure will have no serious consequences whatsoever for anyone at all.

JaucheCharly posted:

That's definitely John Cleese.

I think it's clearly Lord Bravery.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The shrine itself simply hosts ever soldier who died serving the Japan between 1868 and 1947.

Pretty much all the wars between those years that Japan waged were wars of aggression against China and Korea, even the Russo-Japanese war was largely fought on Chinese/Korean territory, so I doubt any Chinese or Koreans will find that explanation very compelling.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

Pretty much all the wars between those years that Japan waged were wars of aggression against China and Korea, even the Russo-Japanese war was largely fought on Chinese/Korean territory, so I doubt any Chinese or Koreans will find that explanation very compelling.

Well, sure, but it is very unusual to not have some form of memorialisation of people who died in wars. The war criminals are the principal sticking point.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

It's all just dead men brother. I don't blame every bone in the Douaumont Ossuary for WWI.

Personally, I would never make a visit, but its status as a pilgrimage point for far-righters is mostly a reaction from those people to the controversy leveled at the shrine. Whenever they make a rally there are a gaggle of regular people taking pictures with their phones.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

HEY GAL posted:

The Habsburg Girls

Please turn this into a series of posts for other noble women and men!!!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ensign Expendable posted:

Vlasov's army goes back in time and wins the Russian Civil War.

Proper Orthodox Christian Communists (these are surprisingly common in fiction these days) go back in time to the Russian Revolution and shoot up all those pesky Trotskyists.

Then there are a million and one "office worker goes to WWII and marches through Berlin in 1941" and they all meld together. I don't actually read this trash, I just heard about these a lot.

Due to the unparalleled flexibility of the Russian language, this genre (popadanysy, one who ended up somewhere) is mangled into vpopudantsy (one who lets you put it in the butt).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm pretty sure most countries honor their soldiers in some appropriately analogous way even if it was arguably soldiers who died in a war of arguable aggression.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Sure, but most other countries didn't have an empire that imposed theocratic fascism upon their vassals, forcing them to adopt japanese names and telling them that their way of being buddhists were wrong. There's a lot of bad blood tied to the shrine for those reasons.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm pretty sure most countries honor their soldiers in some appropriately analogous way even if it was arguably soldiers who died in a war of arguable aggression.

In what way was the Japanese invasion of China in any way 'arguably' aggression?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

feedmegin posted:

In what way was the Japanese invasion of China in any way 'arguably' aggression?

You're misreading him.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's all just dead men brother. I don't blame every bone in the Douaumont Ossuary for WWI.

Personally, I would never make a visit, but its status as a pilgrimage point for far-righters is mostly a reaction from those people to the controversy leveled at the shrine. Whenever they make a rally there are a gaggle of regular people taking pictures with their phones.

There's also a museum filled with revisionist history. It's not just a graveyard.

quote:

Yasukuni Shrine's museum and web site have made statements blaming the United States for "forcing" Japan into World War II and claiming that Japan went to war to create a "co-prosperity sphere" for all Asians.[20] Critics say this is the same propaganda used by the wartime imperial Japanese regime.

This is what the museum says about the Rape of Nanking.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Some say that Japan was just protecting its sphere of interest in the Pacific - Arguably, the Empire did nothing wrong in this war it allegedly started, and one might even say that there's technically no historical revisionism going on in the enlightened modern day Japan. This leads me to the conclusion that a number of goons are being so literal minded these days you'd think someone shot the very concept of satire in the head a couple of times.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Disinterested posted:

You're misreading him.

This. I'm referring to western countries, such as the US Invasion of Iraq as arguably aggression.

quote:

Sure, but most other countries didn't have an empire that imposed theocratic fascism upon their vassals, forcing them to adopt japanese names and telling them that their way of being buddhists were wrong. There's a lot of bad blood tied to the shrine for those reasons.

Son, are you seriously arguing that the 'West' didn't do any of these things in the two centuries prior to 1897?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've started reading The Battle of Surigao Strait by Anthony Tully (of Shattered Sword fame). I'm not a hundred pages in and already the Japanese are using destroyers and cruisers as transports to shunt men around the Philippine islands. I knew they did this in Guadalcanal to avoid American airpower, but that they're doing it still (granted, it is Oct 1944) means that they really must have been running low on decent troop transports by this time.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

HEY GAL posted:

Here are some of my favorite Hapsburgs, in some...I guess time-lapse pictures. These people had a lot of portraits done, so you can see them live and grow, almost year by year.

Philip II had two daughters. Infanta Isabella Clara Eugenia was born in 1566, and Infanta Catalina Micaela/Catherine Michelle was born in 1567.

Isabella Clara Eugenia is on the right, Catalina Micaela is on the left. This picture is from approx. 1568. Note that the two are already in miniature (and absurdly adorable) versions of adult clothing; they are already being trained to be what they are, even though the younger girl can't really walk yet.

Note also their eyes: both of them have eye sockets that are...a little out of true. The right one's lower than the left, and this shows up in almost every painting of them. They're also redheads, like every Hapsburg on earth. I'd like to see their DNA tests, except that I wouldn't.

I can't find a date for this, but it's by a woman, Sofonisba Anguissola, who also painted The Prado Philip II. Catalina Micaela is so over this. Did you know that womens' corsets at the time are metal cages? She does.

Here they are in a Book of Hours that belongs to Catherine de Medici, approx 1570:
Isabella is 4, but she looks older:

Catalina is 3, and ditto. Was this book misdated?

Coello Antonio Sanchez, approx 1575. Isabella is 9, and Catalina Micaela is 8. Neither of them are doing very much with their lives yet, but they're both quite intelligent. Also, Hapsburgs look like clones (except Catalina's hair is curly--you can see that in every picture, including the one where she's about a year old and has a little fluff of baby hair).

Sanchez again, 1579. Isabella at 13. Waistlines are dropping, and little top hats are in.

As young women, both of them were strikingly beautiful. Here's The Notorious I.C.E, making the Hapsburg jaw look good:

Little top hats are definitely in.

And here's Catalina. We've finally gotten rid of the little Tudory sleeve puff things.

They're both highly capable. Isabella is the only person Phillip II trusts to handle his paperwork with him. Catalina was described as intelligent and arrogant. She became the Duchess of Savoy when she married Charles Emanuel I, and was resented for trying to introduce Spanish court ceremony (which is tedious) to that country. However, according to Wikipedia, "she soon gained respect because of her political and diplomatic skill, which she also used to defend the autonomy of Savoy against Spain." Eat it, cousins.

But here their stories diverge, because the smart, arrogant Catalina, who exchanged loving letters with her father after she moved away, died in 1597. She was thirty years old.

Isabella Clara Eugenia lived. Her face gets heavier year by year...in fact, she begins to look a lot like her father.
Hats get bigger, ruffs stay small.

In 1599 Isabella marries her cousin (lol) Archduke Albert. They are joint sovereigns of the Spanish Netherlands, and she's waaaaay more intelligent than he is. Albert was also the Archbishop of Toledo before the marriage, but fuckit, release him from his commitments because we have a dynasty to expand. Shortly before Philip II died, he renounced his rights to the Netherlands in favor of the pair.

When Isabella gains a little more weight, she no longer looks as much like her dad, but the resemblance is still there. Also, ruffs get bigger.

Franz Pourbos the Younger. There's rich, and then there's earrings in your hair rich.

Not sure who painted this, c. 1600.

Rubens painted this; maybe it was restored poorly? Photographed badly? The faces look lovely. Ruffs: still huge. Little top hats: no longer trendy. The Netherlands: ceasefire at the moment, but a resounding feh to all of it.

Philip II died on 13 September 1598. Once he got sick, Isabella took care of him personally for years.

Upon Albert's death in 1621 Isabella took vows as a lay Franciscan.

She was also appointed Governor of the Netherlands. The glory of the victory at Breda (1626) went to her.

She died in 1633, at the age of 67.

This is so cool.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Son, are you seriously arguing that the 'West' didn't do any of these things in the two centuries prior to 1897?

London is full of statutes to colonial generals, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've started reading The Battle of Surigao Strait by Anthony Tully (of Shattered Sword fame). I'm not a hundred pages in and already the Japanese are using destroyers and cruisers as transports to shunt men around the Philippine islands. I knew they did this in Guadalcanal to avoid American airpower, but that they're doing it still (granted, it is Oct 1944) means that they really must have been running low on decent troop transports by this time.

Well the reasons that the actual troop transports aren't fast enough to be survivable still stand. It's symptomatic of a problem that most certainly didn't get any better as time went on.

• Locked thread