Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

ChickenSuit posted:

That is an awful costume. The not-jacket jacket, the weird "Hey we got rid of the boob window so here's some strange underboob thing" thing, and nothing about it is iconic or special.

It almost looks like a lesser Legion member who nobody's seen since the 80s outside of crowd shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Original Psylocke's girly pink outfit.

The armor was a better look.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
She's supposed to be British, right?

And that Armor was good, in the whole "look at the alternative" kind of way. Didn't they kind of screw her out of using that armor though, with a clone, who killed herself. It's been like 20 years since this crap came out.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

She's Captain Britain's sister, so about as British as it's possible to be.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Anora posted:

So this is DC's answer to Ms. Marvel?

If so, it's a terrible answer if they're sticking her on Teen Titans heyooooo but seriously what a horrible comic

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Ashcans posted:

Powergirls's costume is unfortunate because apart from the cupcake problem I think it actually has some good color choice and styling (mostly I think the half-cape and cuffed gloves are good/interesting and the contouring/quilting on the plain costume works pretty well to make a plain white outfit more interesting on the page). But those redos basically trade closing the boobhole for overall ugly designs. I don't know why they decided they needed to stick a P on her somewhere, she's never had one and trying to mash it into her chest/bib is just clumsy.

I'm going to throw out a bit of an odd idea along these lines: Give her stripped down (no pun intended) costume that is sort of like a mix of Young Superman, Kon-El and TAS Supergirl. A sort of white t-shirt and blue sorta-denim shorts with some added little flair/design to it to give it a heroic sort of look. The idea of Power Girl as casually comfortable in an active athletic tomboy sort of way in her costume design could be interesting and a way to sort of differentiate her a bit more from someone like Wonder Woman who has shared a similar bare arms, bare legs design.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

TwoPair posted:

If so, it's a terrible answer if they're sticking her on Teen Titans heyooooo but seriously what a horrible comic

Just going by the brief write up in that link, I'd suggest Kamala sounds a hell of a lot more interesting and relatable than a super-genius 17 year old scientist capable of devising transport between alternate realities for displaced superheroes who then gets superpowers on top.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Lurdiak posted:

They don't, though.

I have first hand evidence that teenagers have bought a comic book with power girl on the cover because of boobs.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I have first hand evidence that teenagers have bought a comic book with power girl on the cover because of boobs.

What was your other hand doing?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Ghostlight posted:

She's Captain Britain's sister, so about as British as it's possible to be.

Although her Captain Britain costume is awful.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

All Captain Britain costumes are terrible, though.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

Lionheart was alright, shame about the comics she starred in

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

DigitalRaven posted:

Kinda..?

Original had that weird hair hole:

Those boots and all that white:

Slightly better version:

Meh. Union Jack does this type of look way better:

The most :effort: patriotic costume has to be this though:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really liked his MI13 costume, actually.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Trying to cram the Union Flag onto her mask makes it into a hot mess in most panels. The lion (shared with the originally Captain Britain costume) is again finicky and over-detailed. The twirls on the end of the staff bring to mind the EDL logo.

The rest are pretty bland designs. The least-worst is the MI-13 costume, just because it doesn't lean so hard on the white, but they're all so based on jingoistic bullshit that they might as well be called Captain UKIP (or Captain Britain First in the case of Jack Staff).

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I bet drawing that lion every time at different poses and angles sucked rear end.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The problem is really that there is no good iconography for Britain that translates easily into a costume. The Union Jack is a very messy flag, and it's difficult to simplify in any way without it becoming unrecognizable. If you extract the colors you just have red, white, and blue, and it's going to be hard to not just be designing an off-brand Captain America (although this might be said to be an overall problem with the character in general).

If you decided to say gently caress it and just make a Captain England it would have two problems; first, that it would look an awful lot like Captain Red Cross, and also that St. George's cross is really only used by football fans and weirdo nationalists, so it's not exactly taking you in the right direction.

Britain doesn't have great, clear symbols, its all poo poo like lions and unicorns and intertwined roses or bulldogs and fat men in waistcoats.

The Jack Flag and Union Jack pictures above really have the best shot at it, I think, in terms of something you want to be redrawn tons of times on the page.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

fatherboxx posted:

The decidedly french fleur de lis as her staff is an odd choice. Unless in her reality the Queen/King still has claims for the French throne.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Vincent posted:

The decidedly french fleur de lis as her staff is an odd choice. Unless in her reality the Queen/King still has claims for the French throne.

Yeah it does look like it was based on the old coat of arms

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Ashcans posted:

The problem is really that there is no good iconography for Britain that translates easily into a costume. The Union Jack is a very messy flag, and it's difficult to simplify in any way without it becoming unrecognizable. If you extract the colors you just have red, white, and blue, and it's going to be hard to not just be designing an off-brand Captain America (although this might be said to be an overall problem with the character in general).

If you decided to say gently caress it and just make a Captain England it would have two problems; first, that it would look an awful lot like Captain Red Cross, and also that St. George's cross is really only used by football fans and weirdo nationalists, so it's not exactly taking you in the right direction.

Britain doesn't have great, clear symbols, its all poo poo like lions and unicorns and intertwined roses or bulldogs and fat men in waistcoats.

The Jack Flag and Union Jack pictures above really have the best shot at it, I think, in terms of something you want to be redrawn tons of times on the page.

The problem with British nationalism and flag waving is it always comes back to our giant terrible racist empire. There are bits of British culture and history to be proud of, but they aren't associated with the Union Jack nearly as strongly as the British Empire is. Like when I look at this guy:

I think "probably something the EDL would make", not "proud and noble Briton :britain:".

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Maybe Captain Britain's symbol should be a cup of tea or a plate of fish & chips. Or somehow be able to represent a cloudy day as a single picture.

Perhaps a gray square on a slightly darker gray background.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

You just need to invoke the right cultural memory. Instead of the Union Jack or the coat of arms, the chest symbol should be a Spitfire blowing away a Messerschmidt over the skies of London.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Clearly they just need to ackowledge all of Britain's history and turn him into the Blue Raja.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I liked the Captain From Everywhere Corps from the Ultimates 2.

Here's your supersuit done up like your country's flag. Oh sorry Captain France that was Captain Netherland's costume we were holding it sideways.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

McSpanky posted:

You just need to invoke the right cultural memory. Instead of the Union Jack or the coat of arms, the chest symbol should be a Spitfire blowing away a Messerschmidt over the skies of London.

Now I think about it, the RAF roundel is a much better symbol for a hypothetical Captain Britain.

The other issue, of course, is "national" heroes in the first place. America's got what, Cap and USAgent? Captain Britain, Jack Staff, Spitfire, Union Jack, Excalibur... it's almost like heroes can't have a non-national identity until they operate in the US. I know that's down to the US being the major market, but still.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Captain Britain should be British Racing Green with white accents.

EDIT: Or there's always Maximan's uniform...

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 9, 2015

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Captain Britain should be British Racing Green with white accents.

?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Vincent posted:

It looks like it should be used to hang curtains instead of beat asses.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I just mean that tons of comics do the T&A thing and they all sell like poo poo, just like 95% of all comics nowadays. Trying something new for a new audience should be something editorial is desperate for instead of terrified of.

Hulk Smash! posted:

The most :effort: patriotic costume has to be this though:

I dunno, I think the off-center design is at least more inspired than this guy:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

All British superheroes should look like Winston Churchill, problem solved.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

All British superheroes should look like Winston Churchill, problem solved.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Morrison's Batman Incorporated has a lot of British stuff in it (along with other international characters), including one minor character inspired by Margaret Thatcher

-----

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I think my favourite UK costume is the Captain Britain Spider-Man although that's probably more down to the Spider-Man elements rather than the Captain Britain ones.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Starsnostars posted:

I think my favourite UK costume is the Captain Britain Spider-Man although that's probably more down to the Spider-Man elements rather than the Captain Britain ones.

It'd still work if you got rid of the web.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Next Captain Britain should just wear a Man U jersey and everyone will get it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

McSpanky posted:

Stiff Upper Lip? Tally-ho? Old Bean?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Superstring posted:

Wasn't this a Claremont thing?

Endless Mike posted:

I think it was a Jim Lee idea, actually, since he wanted to draw sexy Asian ninjas.

Given Claremont's fetishization of ninjas, I'm betting it was more of a collaborative effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

C. Everett Koop posted:

Next Captain Britain should just wear a Man U jersey and everyone will get it.

• Locked thread