Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I liked Jim Ross saying it helped him do WK9 because his wife identified with Nakamura doing Freddie Mercury and Michael Jackson. Plus he's so drat good. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Gaz-L posted:

There was that one show where Bryan and Dave were whispering so the hotel staff wouldn't yell at them, and they sounded like a pair of 12 year olds sneaking out of bed to watch R-rated movies on HBO. Dave even had the giggles.

Was that the one where they were afraid Nick Diaz was going to bust in and beat them up?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
^^^^ YEAH someone, I can't remember who though.

Jerusalem posted:

I want to listen to this show, please let me know the date :3:

Ahhh that's right and also if I recall correctly they were bitching out someone who was in the next room over or something. Like, a fighter that lost or something, and he was on their floor.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 10, 2015

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I think this week is proof that Lance Storm will find something to bitch about in anything.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Rodney the Piper posted:

I think this week is proof that Lance Storm will find something to bitch about in anything.

Is this just about the Ascension thing or did he find something else?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bhester posted:

Is this just about the Ascension thing or did he find something else?

He didn't like the tokyo dome show, right?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

LordPants posted:

He didn't like the tokyo dome show, right?

That...that doesn't seem possible.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
First, there was the Ascension thing, specifically how he thought that using the line "What a Rush" was a shot at Hawk as a person rather than calling out the tag team. He then went on for several minutes about how it wasn't a good idea for them to directly compare themselves to legendary teams when they won't come out on the winning end of that comparison, and how there was nowhere to go with that build of Ascension vs Demolition/LOD.

And then he complained about the tag opener and how he wasn't familiar with anyone in the match, so it just came off as a bunch of guys doing moves and since they didn't slow down at any point, nothing got over. He also says he couldn't remember anything from the match at all except for the flip out of the Doomsday Device spot.

He also just said that Sakuraba vs Suzuki was "fine" and that he couldn't stand the "Japanese fighting spirit" spots where you let the other guy hit you. He also complained about how Suzuki had his arm worked over but was able to win with the sleeper.

Similar to Sakuraba vs Suzuki, he had similar complaints about Ishii vs Makabe.

Storm had not watched anything from Omega vs Funky Weapon on.

I'm not saying he's 100% wrong - I think the Young Bucks would often benefit from maybe removing one or two big spots from their match and just slow down a bit after a crazy dive or something, and The Ascension is being booked horribly but you can say that about just about anything in WWE these days. But I think Storm comes off as being inflexible in what he wants to see in a match and is really bordering up against some of the bad things Jim Ross does on his podcast.

Oh, and then Storm bragged about how many people's he blocked on Twitter because they were stupid.

Sometimes I think Storm is great on the show with his insights into working a match and all that, but htis time he came off as the least fun person in the world to be around.

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 10, 2015

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i actually dont disagree with a single one of his opinions on those tokyo dome matches

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

i actually dont disagree with a single one of his opinions on those tokyo dome matches

I'm pretty familiar with everyone in the tag opener, but I think he has something of a point to it. But I also think there's a place for very high paced matches; a card filled with them would not be good, but every now and then with a bunch of spots? That's fine.

I just take the "I'll stand here and you hit me so I can show off how tough I am" spots as part of the puro landscape, especially when Minoru Suzuki's involved. It's also unrealistic that Hogan would hulk up after being hit in the face by Dibiase or Bundy or whoever in the 80s, but it worked and that's what really matters.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I thought the opener was a great intro into the show. It wasn't one of the biggest matches on the show and it just needed to be fast and intense to get the crowd into the show. Even remembering one spot from that match is better than 90% of PPVs where all the matches outside of two are completely forgettable.

I didn't like the sleeper finisher either. I thought a triangle would have been far better since he could have realistically applied that with 1 arm.

The hulk up spot is a classic and no worse than a million other things that people do in prowrestling that sound retarded on paper but get over huge with crowds.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
The only annoying part about fighting spirit is when Matt Striker says it 500 times.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I disagree with his opinion about Suzuki vs Sakuraba. The build for the match indicated it was very much about who was tougher, and who was the badder dude. It is not that weird in a wrestling context for both of them to go "C'mon, tough guy, gimme your best shot" in an effort to prove that they are the badder dude. If that doesn't work for Lance that's fine, but I don't think it's a dumb thing for them to do.

And it's not like those trade-off spots don't pop up in U.S. matches from time to time.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
It does say something that even with all the poo poo those guys did in the opener, one of the big spots from the show that people keep talking about is a dropkick. I'm really not much of a fan of those US indy style clusterfuck openers but I do understand that they have a role to play in warming up the crowd and I think it's fine to have one of them on a show. That said, there's a reason those guys will always be stuck in the prelims and it's not just because of their size.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
it only took a week for everyone to turn on the opener.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

The opener was really fun. English commentary was very eugh during it though. Talking completely over the Meltzer Driver was amazing.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I disagree with his opinion about Suzuki vs Sakuraba. The build for the match indicated it was very much about who was tougher, and who was the badder dude. It is not that weird in a wrestling context for both of them to go "C'mon, tough guy, gimme your best shot" in an effort to prove that they are the badder dude. If that doesn't work for Lance that's fine, but I don't think it's a dumb thing for them to do.

And it's not like those trade-off spots don't pop up in U.S. matches from time to time.

This poo poo happens in MMA fights too so believability isn't really a good argument.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Spermgod posted:

It does say something that even with all the poo poo those guys did in the opener, one of the big spots from the show that people keep talking about is a dropkick. I'm really not much of a fan of those US indy style clusterfuck openers but I do understand that they have a role to play in warming up the crowd and I think it's fine to have one of them on a show. That said, there's a reason those guys will always be stuck in the prelims and it's not just because of their size.

I don't particularly get the feeling that the Young Bucks give a crap about being the next Tanahashi or Okada. There's not a lot of room at the top but the Young Bucks have been great at being in fun midcard matches for years; why worry about moving them to the top of the card? There's plenty of room in the midcard and as long as they keep entertaining and putting on good, creative matches and being super athletic; there should be room on a show for them.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

This poo poo happens in MMA fights too so believability isn't really a good argument.

Sefo/Hunt wasn't mma

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

opener was the third best match of the night bye

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
why is bryan letting a hooker advertise live on air :stare:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I personally think people care too much about professional wrestler Lance Storm's opinions, personally.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...

Spermgod posted:

why is bryan letting a hooker advertise live on air :stare:

he's had missy hyatt on several times

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bhester posted:

he's had missy hyatt on several times

:golfclap:

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Yuriy posted:

Sefo/Hunt wasn't mma

Pretty much every Robbie Lawler fight features him getting punched a few times and then smiling like someone gave him candy. Scott Smith was crumbling from a bodyshot and knocked Pete Sell out. Fighting spirit is real. Puro is real.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I like to think the Steve that Colt had over to fix up his apartment was Stone Cold Steve Austin. It just makes me laugh so much.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I like to think the Steve that Colt had over to fix up his apartment was Stone Cold Steve Austin. It just makes me laugh so much.

Or Doc Gallows refusing to break Stone Cold character.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Pretty much every Robbie Lawler fight features him getting punched a few times and then smiling like someone gave him candy. Scott Smith was crumbling from a bodyshot and knocked Pete Sell out. Fighting spirit is real. Puro is real.

Yea but Sefo/Hunt is like the pinnacle of that, they literally do the exchanging hits spot and there's even a mutual respect theme going throughout

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Yuriy posted:

Yea but Sefo/Hunt is like the pinnacle of that, they literally do the exchanging hits spot and there's even a mutual respect theme going throughout

Oh I know. It is basically the pinnacle of combat sports. But Lance Storm doesn't watch kickboxing and I wanted to pick a sport that he actually purports to like (it is unclear if Lance Storm truly likes anything).

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Oh I know. It is basically the pinnacle of combat sports. But Lance Storm doesn't watch kickboxing and I wanted to pick a sport that he actually purports to like (it is unclear if Lance Storm truly likes anything).

I don't listen to Lance Storm, is he a MMA fan? How badly do people like Chael and the Diaz Bros get him riled up?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

He thinks the Diaz bros are invulnerable to pain because of weed

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

He thinks the Diaz bros are invulnerable to pain because of weed

lol no poo poo?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I feel weird jumping on Lance so much but he has so many crazy beliefs about so many innocuous things that I can't help but be obsessed with him.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cardboard Box posted:

bryan lives in a bubble but i don't think being a 40 year old that doesn't play video games really qualifies as that

Ask him his opinion about muppets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aozwXTy0fIE&t=244s

What would he have done a letter writing campaign for???

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Does Lance Storm like anything? He always seems to be criticizing everything.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mariooncrack posted:

He blamed the observer picks game for making him not like MMA.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Rodney the Piper posted:

Or Doc Gallows refusing to break Stone Cold character.

WHAT?

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

mariooncrack posted:

http://wrestlingonearth.com/things-lance-storm-dislikes/

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

awwww sonuvabeeeetch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

njsykora posted:

He blamed the observer picks game for making him not like MMA.

In fairness, I don't really disagree with the argument he made there.

• Locked thread