Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

BUT CANADIAN REQUIREMENTS AND CANADIAN JERBS

so monumentally stupid. I'm sure ze germans or french could easily adapt one of their designs to our needs, it'd come in at or near budget and schedule.

Because they're places with active naval shipbuilding and arms exporting experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Canuck-Errant posted:

Well, it looks like the US is auctioning off its surplus HMMWVs. I wonder how cost-effective it would be to buy those as replacements for LSVWs.

Once the first few hundred get sold for too much money to collectors and people who just want one for farting around you should be able to get one for 7-10k unless it's a recent model.

Most of the ones on gov planet are first generation m988s or a1s. No upgrades or modernization to most of them. I'm sure Canada can get a deal on ECVs and newer revisions either via surplus or from AM General which is idling its plant.

That being said how are those max force trucks working out? The only times I see them when they are getting towed by a wrecker or in a navistar dealer repair lot. Where those procured or under testing ?

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
We can't procure boots in a timely manner. BOOTS.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The only time we can procure kit in a timely manner is when it's actually killing people. See, ILTIS replacements, M777s, Leo2 rebuy, etc.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Even the Triple 7, we didn't procure it in time so much as cut the line, and take some that were slated for the Yanks.

The Leo 2s were originally rentals I think.

Our whole procurement system is a mess. Even basic stuff like CADPAT combats, C7A2's and yep boots took forever to get distributed.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
I have so many different styles of boots it's insane, and they almost all suck so bad they're unwearable. I have Mk.4 combats (1), cold wet weather combats (2), summer "flying" boots (same as combats but steel toe) (3), cold wet weather flying boots (3), extreme cold weather flying boots (same as CWWB but with a very soft sole) (4), and a set of final issue STC-brand old sea boots (5), which are the most comfortable so get worn all the time. Also mukluks (6), and a pair each of old (7) and Frankenstein (8) parade boots that will never be worn again, and two pairs of Oxfords (9).

I had some original issue STC sea boots that had much better leather but wrecked them as yardwork boots, dumb. And since the CF is unlikely to issue a decent boot anytime soon, I'm going out of pocket for some Red Wing 2416s, $300+.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Mind sending some our way? I have new troops getting one (1) pair of boots as part of their initial issue.

e: reserves.txt

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Dear Jesus. Gotta wear those boots in the field and in garrison? gently caress.

Also it appears Paul Gross is making another movie, this one about Afghanistan called hyena road. It couldn't be any worse than Passchendaele was.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Nofeed posted:

Mind sending some our way? I have new troops getting one (1) pair of boots as part of their initial issue.

e: reserves.txt

Yup, I only got one pair to start, and it was a pair of the recalled wet weathers.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

MA-Horus posted:

Dear Jesus. Gotta wear those boots in the field and in garrison? gently caress.

Also it appears Paul Gross is making another movie, this one about Afghanistan called hyena road. It couldn't be any worse than Passchendaele was.

http://vimeo.com/106731578

This video captures the KAF experience perfectly. If the rest of the movie isn't worse than this, it'll be fine.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If I'm not wearing parade shoes or desert boots odds are I'm using Mk IIIs. Mine need to be resoled again but damned if they aren't my favorite :3:

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
"Three different men, three different worlds, three different wars - all stand at the intersection of modern warfare - a murky world of fluid morality where all is not as it seems."

:barf:

I was voluntold to attend the premiere of Passchendaele when it first came out with a couple of friends. Defining moment of the experience was being herded into a photo-op, discovering Paul Gross is deceptively short and a friend telling him "What was that ending about?" with journalists within earshot. Mr. Gross was not pleased. Looking back, I think my comment about him being so tiny cut deepest.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The crucifixion had me literally laughing in the theater

I had high hopes at the start with the bayonet scene.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

MA-Horus posted:

The crucifixion had me literally laughing in the theater

I had high hopes at the start with the bayonet scene.

agreed

I got tickets to the screening of The Hurt Locker from someone on base in Edmonton. At least 3/4 of the theater were military or military famillies. The response to the movie was hilarious. If anyone wanted legitimate reviews of that movie they could have just recorded the heckling and catcalls towards then end.

Waffle Grid
Apr 22, 2009

You think someone would do that, go on the internet and lie?
:smithfrog:
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I didn't see anything more appropriate, so....

Basically I'm working on a project that is collecting stories, and most importantly photos, of Canadian WWII military members that died fighting in the Netherlands. I've scoured the internet for what I'm looking for, and have gotten about as far as I can go before I start having to identify living family and sending them letters. But I figured maybe some Canadian military goons here might have ancestors that fit this description or know of some descendants of such people. If you do, I would love to hear from you! You can feel free to pm me, or e-mail me at wwiicanadians at gmail dot com.

Waffle Grid fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 15, 2015

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Your best bet is to contact regimental museums of units involved in the Flanders campaign. The 2nd Canadian Division was particularly involved in the push through Flanders and the Low Countries. Two units of choice would be the Regiment de Maisonneuve and the Black Watch who proudly continued their forebears' legacy of running headlong into German machine-guns whenever they had the chance.

Barrakketh fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 15, 2015

Waffle Grid
Apr 22, 2009

You think someone would do that, go on the internet and lie?
:smithfrog:
Thanks for the tip! I know the regiments of all the men I'm looking for so that should be pretty straight forward. Hopefully they're willing to scan/mail items for me since I don't live anywhere near any of the museums.

I'm not the person heading the project, so hopefully they haven't gone down this avenue yet and it will turn up some useful stuff.

Waffle Grid fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 15, 2015

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Anyone in here that has recently done a CT from reserve to reg force? I'm scheduled to take a TSD-PI test and interview with the BPSO soon but am having trouble finding someone to talk to who will share information about the process with me.

Apparently the TSD is some sort of personality test and the BPSO interview is to "determine eligibility". At this stage is it more like a screening test/interview? What kind of things should I do to ensure a good report from the BPSO?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Saw the end of year Canadian Defence Review appear in my office.

To wit,

"While Mr. Harper promised to revitalize the military with his Canada First policy, very few of the expected procurements have taken place and the budget has steadily shrank. Despite this Mr. Harper is widely perceived as being strong on defence and pro-military."

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Hah. Well, it's true - he's pro-military, he's just not pro-paying for it.

Addman
Dec 6, 2005
Have any of you seen the retarded huffington post article? http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/bruce-moncur/canadian-forces_b_6407088.html

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
What's retarded about that? When I was in the reg force four years ago we didn't even have enough ammunition to do our yearly qualification on our sniper rifles. The reserves a year after that was even worse. I can't imagine the CF has gotten better over time - we have one of the lowest defense budgets as a percentage of GDP in the world.

Addman
Dec 6, 2005
The ammo part stuck out as retarded to me, they are saying ppcli basically doesn't shoot. Reserves maybe I could believe.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

My last year in the reserves I shot a grand total of a single mag for the c7 in the year.

We also ran out of blanks. Lots of screaming "BANG BANG" on ex.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The CF is pretty hosed, but the Tories were elected on a platform of being pro-military and have done a good job of convincing the voting public they are.

I don't know how that's going to change since every time the state of the military is pointed out, people always scream about the Liberals in the 90's.

e: The good thing about the LG1s being finished and C3s being routinely broken is that there are all the 105mm rounds your heart could desire. To the point that exercises can consist of moving to one position and firing around the clock to expend the massive piles of ammo.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

MA-Horus posted:

My last year in the reserves I shot a grand total of a single mag for the c7 in the year.

We also ran out of blanks. Lots of screaming "BANG BANG" on ex.

Through BMQ and SQ we only had enough blanks to do one section attack. Total. Period.

Except that time we found a box of linked 5.56 stuffed under a brush pile and our staff made us de-link it so we could do one practise attack with 10 rounds in our mags. But I don't really think that counts.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Our BMQ went the same way. They had a lot of arty sims for use as alarm clocks though.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Addman posted:

Have any of you seen the retarded huffington post article? http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/bruce-moncur/canadian-forces_b_6407088.html

It's not terrifically written and it does have a click-bait title, but it does do a good job of collecting most of the government's bad press towards the military from the past few years in one place without being too hyperbolic. When taken all together it's pretty terrible.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

flakeloaf posted:

Our BMQ went the same way. They had a lot of arty sims for use as alarm clocks though.

Haha, we had one. That they used on our defensive ex

Addman
Dec 6, 2005
I understand the truths behind the article it just seems very politically slanted. I'm not in yet, but I find it hard to believe that article is not biased or exaggerated in some way. Wouldn't infantry in reg force (not during bmq) not shooting any bullets defeat the entire purpose of the trade? How would you even do zeroing with so few bullets?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Addman posted:

I understand the truths behind the article it just seems very politically slanted. I'm not in yet, but I find it hard to believe that article is not biased or exaggerated in some way. Wouldn't infantry in reg force (not during bmq) not shooting any bullets defeat the entire purpose of the trade? How would you even do zeroing with so few bullets?

It's happened before in the Dark Decade. No ammo for anything, the Arty guns were placed on blocks because they wouldn't or couldn't replace the wheels, if you were in Armoured you drove around in jeeps pretending to be a tank.

Sea Kings are still falling out of the sky with absolutely no replacements in sight.

Vadoc fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 22, 2015

Addman
Dec 6, 2005
I think I saw a video about that on youtube called the dark days of canadian forces or something. They were using anti air from world war 2 or something.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If I remember the story, the Kingston Class ships got their Bofors guns (maybe just the naval mounts) from museums and war monuments.

As long as the Strats aren't rolling Centurions off to do the same, the Navy is still worse off than the Army.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Addman posted:

Let me tell you a story about being in Afghanistan for four months carrying around C8s we hadn't zeroed or test fired yet.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

Let me tell you a story about being in Afghanistan for four months carrying around C8s we hadn't zeroed or test fired yet.

I would joke and say that the dude with the Khyber Pass Special hadn't either but that is loving pathetic.

Addman
Dec 6, 2005
Jesus, was that the beginning of the war?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Addman posted:

Addman posted:

Jesus, was that the beginning of the war?

You're in for a treat :allears:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

C8's before 2006? hahahaha

e: I can think of more than two units that have a pair of C8's: One for the CO and one for the RSM.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

We weren't Infantry, we were MPs doing CP (a very different job from the soldier-soldiers down south doing work, going hard and being awesome). Our extended period of faith in our equipment was partly a budget thing and partly a... shall we say, "local leadership concern"? Thankfully we had some guys with real credentials over there with us to unfuck the rest of us civi-cop-in-beret scrubs and look after us while we figured out what was what until we could take care of ourselves.

I expect things are probably a bit more organized over there now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Bought some post it notes for my office a couple years ago because there was no money in the budget for PP&S. Sometimes we'd swipe toner cartridges from printers in other squadrons and replace them with our empty ones after hours. If you had a ream of paper you'd stash that poo poo and deny its existence. Also this was in a line flying unit :v: