Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

priznat posted:

For me the biggest suspension of disbelief in the series is how utterly incompetent/clueless all levels of the government and law enforcement are. With the exception of Henriksen, they're all completely out to lunch and fooled by Sam and Dean every drat time. That and there never seems to be any sort of investigations into why towns disappear completely or hundreds of people stab each other with freaky angel blades.

I accept it as part of the universe but it is kind of humourous really ;)

There was a competent guy. Remember him?

Shame he got iced by Lilith; he was fun. Now there are no competent guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah, that's Henriksen like I mentioned :shobon:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

BreakAtmo posted:

That's definitely the case when they're chatting with a human in heaven, but this is more about when they're talking amongst themselves with no people around.

Don't forget, in their true forms angels are loving HUGE. Cas made mention he was taller than the Chrysler building.

Even if there aren't any people around, a giant loving neon sign of a person literally glowing and screeching out angel speech busting out windows is going to be noticed by someone, somewhere.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah but when Cas and Metatron are talking in Heaven it doesn't make a ton of sense for us to be watching Misha Collins and Curtis Armstrong. Except of course that it's the only practical way for the TV show to do it since two Chrysler building sized three headed glowing things screeching at high volumes would be difficult to make work.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

priznat posted:

Yeah, that's Henriksen like I mentioned :shobon:

This is why I need to engage my brain before posting. Sorry, man, you're absolutely right.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Even if there aren't any people around, a giant loving neon sign of a person literally glowing and screeching out angel speech busting out windows is going to be noticed by someone, somewhere.

Well even if there are people around, they'll be too blind/deaf to do anything about it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

priznat posted:

For me the biggest suspension of disbelief in the series is how utterly incompetent/clueless all levels of the government and law enforcement are. With the exception of Henriksen, they're all completely out to lunch and fooled by Sam and Dean every drat time. That and there never seems to be any sort of investigations into why towns disappear completely or hundreds of people stab each other with freaky angel blades.

I accept it as part of the universe but it is kind of humourous really ;)

It's possible that it works like World of Darkness: The world's governments have all been infiltrated by various supernatural beings who suppress any reports or investigations of supernatural occurrences. And since the show never says who they may be or what their goals are, it can also account for why law enforcement just suddenly stopped hunting Sam and Dean at some point (even after they broke out of prison that one time).

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

atomicgeek posted:

There was a competent guy. Remember him?

Shame he got iced by Lilith; he was fun. Now there are no competent guys.

Gah, I love that episode but Henriksen was such a wasted opportunity for a recurring character.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just don't understand why they tacked on that ending with Lillith, it would have been a great, satisfying episode without it. Instead it just feels lovely. Which I guess was the plan to play Lillith as an unstoppable force for evil etc blah blah but still, I found it annoying.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It did help really sell Lilith as super evil. It doesn't feel that way in retrospect with all we've seen but at the time that ending was just heartbreaking and soul crushing, and Lilith was just kind of a name at that point. And it was kind of the beginning of the Winchesters feeling like everything they do is hopeless, which ends up being a pretty important theme building to them being tempted to say "yes" to Michael and Lucifer. And it's kind of important for the Ruby story since its a big moment where she seems to be on the up and up but they ignore her immoral plan and it just ends up going wrong anyway. That sort of thing is what eventually leads to Sam falling under her spell. And the fact that it was a shortened season probably ups its importance a little since they had to tell those Lilith and Ruby stories quick.

But I would have traded all that for Henrickson to stick around.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah but when Cas and Metatron are talking in Heaven it doesn't make a ton of sense for us to be watching Misha Collins and Curtis Armstrong.

I assume it's easier to just take your meat suit to heaven with you as long as you have need of it. Seems like less hassle than jumping out of it and having to hide it while taking a trip upstairs. Also hoping it doesn't start to rot while you are away. Or if the host is somehow still alive, having to track it down again and traumatized it by constantly jumping in and out. Angels can't just jump into anyone, they have to take care of the meat suit they have.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Plus, as we learned from Raphael, they can leave the meat suit pretty much catatonic when they vanish.

No one wants to hop back into a meat suit that's poo poo itself while you were away.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Supernatural will have a season 11. gently caress you Smallville.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

With Supernatural already renewed for the fall, the network boss made clear: “We are completely open to looking at a spinoff” — even after the last development cycle’s Bloodlines died on the vine. As the producers develop Season 11, “Hopefully, they will come up with something we can use.”

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
How many spinoffs did this thread come up with in the last two seasons?

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
A werewolf show starring DJ Qualls is clearly the way to go.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bobkatt013 posted:

And by extension gently caress you, every other genre show in history. If S11 is a full order and the last season, Supernatural will finish on 241 episodes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jedit posted:

And by extension gently caress you, every other genre show in history. If S11 is a full order and the last season, Supernatural will finish on 241 episodes.

Doctor Who still has more episodes and years, but it will be the longest running American one based off years. Bewitched had 254 episodes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Jedit posted:

How does that work? Didn't they just hit 200 a few episodes ago, with the high school play episode?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

How does that work? Didn't they just hit 200 a few episodes ago, with the high school play episode?

Yeah they did hit 200 but they still have the rest of the episodes this season and next.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I apparently can't do arithmetic! I thought that ~40 episodes would be hard to hit with only 1.5 seasons, but apparently I'm wrong!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The showrunner said they are putting seeds in season 10 for 3 more seasons, so if ratings stay the same...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Some Numbers posted:

Yes, but that was S10E05. Supernatural seasons tend to run 23 episodes under normal circumstances, so S10E23 will be episode 218 and S11E23 will be 241.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Some Numbers posted:

I would watch a spinoff of Sheriff Mills and Deputy Oh-you-betcha

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Ash hacks himself angel powers and reappears on Earth. He gets recognized which sets up a soul cascade because of them hacked powers. End result: He can only manifest for 42 minutes a week and now wears a Luchador mask to prevent another instance.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

GreenNight posted:

The showrunner said they are putting seeds in season 10 for 3 more seasons, so if ratings stay the same...

How are the ratings? I don't really know much about the Nielsen ratings, so I'm curious how well the show actually is doing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VaultAggie posted:

How are the ratings? I don't really know much about the Nielsen ratings, so I'm curious how well the show actually is doing.

I think they've been fairly constant for the past few years (at least since Season 5 ended), even when they switched timeslots a few times.

If Arrow and Flash continue to do well I could see them wanting to phase it out though (although not before a sequel/spinoff comes in).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Come March 17th this show is moving to Wednesdays, when iZombie takes it's slot.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jedit posted:

Also, not likely to be the last season. It's their flagship series and until the actors playing Sam and Dean start getting gray hair they'll probably keep getting renewed. Bloodlines was a disaster because they lost everything that made Supernatural a cool show and tried to replace it with sexy monsters running Chicago gangland style. Even how Sam and Dean was contrary to 9 years of their established characters.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

With its fanbase you could probably put Supernatural on at 4 am on a sunday and still get consistent ratings

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
Honestly, CW execs are probably scared of what will happen to their families if they cancel Supernatural.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Still hoping for a Boy and his Golem spinoff

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

hangedman1984 posted:

Glad I am not the only one who thought that was an awesome basis for a returning concept or spin-off.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

hangedman1984 posted:

Yep, that's the one I couldn't remember. I knew there was another good idea beyond "The Wizard of Oz: Supernatural."

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

hangedman1984 posted:

Add the kid hunters, and bam ensemble cast.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Spoeank posted:

I would watch a spinoff of Sheriff Mills and Deputy Oh-you-betcha

This would work well with what I was half expecting to happen last episode, for them to ship Cas' meatsuit's daughter off to Sheriff Mills to take care of. It would make sense for her to try to have another friend her age that's "in the know," however I don't think they would know what to do with four female leads that they're not allowed to kill off.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Red Queen posted:

This would work well with what I was half expecting to happen last episode, for them to ship Cas' meatsuit's daughter off to Sheriff Mills to take care of. It would make sense for her to try to have another friend her age that's "in the know," however I don't think they would know what to do with four female leads that they're not allowed to kill off.

I can see cas's meatsuit daughter to join up with Cole as she did not look too pleased with Dean.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

Also, not likely to be the last season. It's their flagship series and until the actors playing Sam and Dean start getting gray hair they'll probably keep getting renewed. Bloodlines was a disaster because they lost everything that made Supernatural a cool show and tried to replace it with sexy monsters running Chicago gangland style. Even how Sam and Dean was contrary to 9 years of their established characters.

Usually with a long running show at least one of the primary cast gets bored or becomes too big a star so the show comes to a natural end. Supernatural is kind of a weird case because Padalecki never really had acting work before this and isn't good enough to be a leading man in movies, and Ackles kind of bounced around for a good while before landing the job so it makes sense that he'd value a such a stable gig like Supernatural. They seem to be good friends and at the very least don't hate each other, so the usual reasons a show like this might end don't apply.

I listen to Howard Stern and this is something he brings up with pretty much every television star he interviews. There are so many out of work actors, and tons of "actors" who tried to get into it but never really landed any paying jobs. When you find yourself with a regular paycheck as a television actor you ride that poo poo into the ground. Leave the "artistic integrity" for the film actors who make 10 million for a few months work.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Basebf555 posted:

Usually with a long running show at least one of the primary cast gets bored or becomes too big a star so the show comes to a natural end. Supernatural is kind of a weird case because Padalecki never really had acting work before this and isn't good enough to be a leading man in movies, and Ackles kind of bounced around for a good while before landing the job so it makes sense that he'd value a such a stable gig like Supernatural. They seem to be good friends and at the very least don't hate each other, so the usual reasons a show like this might end don't apply.

I listen to Howard Stern and this is something he brings up with pretty much every television star he interviews. There are so many out of work actors, and tons of "actors" who tried to get into it but never really landed any paying jobs. When you find yourself with a regular paycheck as a television actor you ride that poo poo into the ground. Leave the "artistic integrity" for the film actors who make 10 million for a few months work.

The show is also in an odd niche. It's popular enough for the network to keep making it, but it's not popular enough for the stars to be household names. These guys aren't all over magazine covers in the checkout line like the cast of Friends or Cheers were. Their fans are very dedicated (and kinda creepy) but there is no sense that they could become big movie stars if they left the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Plus the leads actually get along really well, to the point they take their families on vacations together.

This is probably their dream job, go to work, hang out with friends, get paid an obscene amount of money, then go goof off for a bit.

I did check out the Messengers video that the facebook page shared, and it looks kinda cool as well.