Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kemper Boyd posted:

Re: The funny Krav Maga thread

I did Krav Maga a while back here in Finland, and it seems to have a bad rep over there in the US, could someone enlighten me on why that's the case? At least over here I found that the training was very much grounded in some kind of of reality.

fatherdog posted:

The main problem with Krav Maga is that you can become certified to teach "Krav Maga" by taking a three day seminar, so even if Krav Maga was the second coming of Judo developed by Muhammed Bruce Li I still would never recommend to someone that they join a "Krav Maga" school because you have absolutely no idea what you'll actually be getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Kemper Boyd posted:

I did Krav Maga a while back here in Finland, and it seems to have a bad rep over there in the US, could someone enlighten me on why that's the case? At least over here I found that the training was very much grounded in some kind of of reality.

I did a free week at a Krav Maga place here a few years ago, I went to 4 classes and every single one involved learning how to eye gouge & nut kick 3+ attackers "in the street". Every time I asked how much it cost I was literally ignored, it's like I wasn't even talking. Every time I asked about sparring or live training, I was told I had to be a "Level 3" which could take a few years depending how often I trained. Then at the end of the last class I was physically rushed into a small room with the instructor and a few other trial-takers where he spent 45 minutes using high-pressure sales tactics to try to get us to commit to a 2-year contract for $300/month - oh but they suggested just doing an lump sum payment because it saved you $700.

I'm sure not all Krav Maga places are like that, but

Dysgenesis posted:

It's basically to martial arts what crossfit is to exercise.

15 Burpees into a nut kick then break the neck. Seriously? How do you even really practice that? To be fair, I never went on the streets to find out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It's some self defense poo poo the IDF does for like a week at boot camp. They probably laugh when they see how popular it is here and how many gyms there are. At the root there's probably some good stuff but how many people claim to teach jeet kune do when Bruce Lee "certified" or w/e a handful of people

When I think of Krav Maga I just think of a middle aged chick or fat dude in jeans going through some self defense scenario where a bunch of attackers go after them one by one in some pre choreographed poo poo like akido

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I desperately want to go to a class now.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
How did Krav get so huge anyway? Was there a big crossfit-like push for it at some point in time? Was there some sweet movie where the protagonist was a Krav master?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

canoshiz posted:

How did Krav get so huge anyway? Was there a big crossfit-like push for it at some point in time? Was there some sweet movie where the protagonist was a Krav master?

TEH DEADLEH ARTS OF ISRAELI COMMANDOS!!!

I think its 50% tacticool fetishism and 50% plucky Israel fetishism

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
I guess I'm lucky that all my exposure to Krav has been some (I think) sensible self defense training; Less complex striking than Muay Thai, less developed grappling than BJJ. Focus on simple stuff that you'd hopefully be able to remember in a stressful situation.

There's been some goofing off with "James Bond crap" as the trainer called it on occasion, but since there's a dearth of special forces operatives in random-rear end self defense classes I'm gonna say that was mostly for fun/bonding.

Cost the same as my other gym memberships too, very up front about that. There was some advancement system that they'd stolen wholesale from....I wanna say Karate? Belts were involved. Dunno if they actually use it for anything.

You guys make it sound like there's quite a bit of "predatory", for lack of a better term, Krav Maga places out there.
Though I suppose it must be hard to regulate an art(paradigm, approach?) which doesn't really have anything in it other other than "Be a right poo poo, as fast as you can possibly manage".

The Dregs posted:

Practice went extremely well.

Good to hear! How was your recovery/soreness this time around?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Kemper Boyd posted:

Like the guys said, so many McDojos. But a Krav Maga club can be a pretty decent kickboxing facility as likely as that "defend against 3 guys with an assault rifle with too deadly to train eye gouges and nut kickz" poo poo. Depends on the trainer(s).

I'm pretty confident most of our gyms that offer Krav here have a pretty good mix of both kickboxing and some quick and hurty seld-defense techniques, as opposed to total bullshit.

edit: for example Combat Academy is a really good gym with MMA, BJJ, MT and stuff; I'm quite sure their Krav Maga training isn't crap based on anime either. They wouldn't survive in a place that trains competition level Muay Thai and BJJ otherwise.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 11, 2015

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yeah, Krav costs twice as much as everything else around here.

The question you have to ask yourself is this: what purpose does hand-to-hand training serve in a modern military?

There are a few reasons, but the main one is that you need to familiarize your soldiers with the ranges of close combat and give them a vague idea what to do when they get there, just in case the extremely unlikely scenario occurs when they're somehow up close to an enemy and have no weapon. If they don't know anything, they might panic and run, so they need to be shown a thing or two for morale to make them stand and fight. But they don't have enough time to teach them to be *good* at close combat. I imagine you'd have to be a really lovely soldier to end up there at all.

So you're paying tons of money to be taught "the absolute basics so a soldier doesn't panic", while an MMA gym will teach you "how to fight skillfully in great detail" for half the price.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

TollTheHounds posted:

an lump sum payment

"an lump sum" :argh:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The problem for me is that "good" Krav Maga is pretty much some variation of MMA but bad Krav is just strip mall karate.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Honestly all military self defense/hand to hand combat systems are bad. The great assumption is that your opponent doesn't know jack poo poo. And if you're opponent doesn't know jack poo poo, then aikido is just as good as Krav Maga or MACS.

Anecdotally one of my frat brothers who is a marine officer won some sort of Greek week wrestling event. The he came down to my gym later on, and I tossed him around like a rag doll and subbed him at my leisure while he had about 70 lbs and 6" on me. It just goes to show that Any martial art is better than nothing.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

The problem for me is that "good" Krav Maga is pretty much some variation of MMA but bad Krav is just strip mall karate.

Yuuup, there's nothing "good krav" can teach you that learning and live training punchkicks and groundhugs won't.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Hawgh posted:

Good to hear! How was your recovery/soreness this time around?

Excellent! I was much less sore too, despite participating more in class. I think it was because I was more relaxed. Unfortunately can't go this week, since my free week is up and I get payed once a month. I think I am going to take a free week of Judo at another place down the road while I get my finances together.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

canoshiz posted:

Kind of..

Edit: Apologies for shortened clip, it's the only thing I found in English.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 12, 2015

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

canoshiz posted:

I feel like there was a big push to make it seem like some crazy commando poo poo that's brutally effective, while simultaneously being the only widely distributed "self-defense" art on the market. Any decent martial arts school won't advertise itself as teaching you "self-defense", since that's effectively BS.

I mean, some people just want to learn how to defend themselves (dropping the quotes from now on) from rapists and muggers but there's also a stigma against learning a martial art because that takes hard work and dedication as opposed to a couple classes a month where you work up a sweat and pretend to knee people in the balls for an hour and a half.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Buried alive posted:

Kind of..

Edit: Apologies for shortened clip, it's the only thing I found in English.

Oh please. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x6KApzgtjU&t=80s

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

I would like to defend myself by stating that this was a typo and not an ignorant grammatical slip. When I type using a touch screen I always accidentally hit "b" instead of "space" and then auto-correct turns it into "an".

On topic...

I saw this the other day and found it really inspiring as a newb. I'm not some big Joe Rogan fanboy or anything ( although I did like his character in News Radio back in the day ) but I think the points he makes are good.

Basically boils down to "it's good to get destroyed because that's how you learn", and I think that applies to all MA's.

http://youtu.be/FX6aB6_kd74

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
An oft overlooked thing with training: TEH FOOD. I was struck down by a wrath-of-god level flu that never seemed to go away and which left me with a terrible cold sweat and a muscle spasming cough if I tried to raise my pulse above "walking really fast" for weeks.

Today was the first time in like a month that I could do all the calisthenics and other exercises with my group and not feel horrible. Once home I fixed a late dinner from yesterdays kebab meat with garlic and hot chili sauce, some pork fillet and a salad of baby spinach, red onions, olives, feta cheese and spiced virgin oil. And a bite of freshly baked bread.

Mmmm nothing ever tasted this good.

Post ur favourite post workout dinners ITT.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

A trip to the chippie.

Refill all that sweet muscle glycogen.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Dysgenesis posted:

A trip to the chippie.

What's a chippie (in lower case).

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Taco bell or Krystals because I'm a goon and I hate myself.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I'm incredibly lazy so I doubt I eat nearly enough, usually a pre-fab protein shake, 2 bananas, 2 pieces of toast with peanut butter and sometimes an additional piece of toast with 2 eggs.

I usually still end up hungry before I go to bed so I just eat a giant spoonful of peanut butter.

I wish there was a better option, maybe if I made an actual meal I wouldn't be hungry right before I go to sleep, but well...lazy.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Ligur posted:

It's a shop that sells chips (Fries)

Preferably with a battered sausage and some radioactive curry sauce.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aye anyway, I agree that Rogan video is pretty cool.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Gaz2k21 posted:

radioactive curry sauce.

drool

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm a huge fan of a banana with peanut butter wrapped in a flour tortilla.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Pizza it's the superior post workout meal.And beer.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I usually have a beer after practice. Or two.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Lamadrid posted:

Pizza it's the superior post workout meal.And beer.

A gigantic burrito, no beer cuz i dont drink anymore :colbert:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Beer/alcohol has given me wicked DOMS the day after a workout before

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Kemper Boyd posted:

I usually have a beer after practice. Or two.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

mewse posted:

I prefer subs

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

mewse posted:

One glass of wine or a beer and I'm ok. More and yeah I feel remarkably crappy

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Ligur posted:

A fish and chip shop.

Chips in England are basically big fat fries, served with something cool like battered deep fried fish, chicken or sausage. With curry sauce and baked beans if you are a southerner, or gravy and mushy peas if a northerner.

Covered in salt and vinegar, All wrapped up in newspaper.

Man I'm hungry now.

E - don't forget the beer.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
At our dojo we have a dedicated beer fridge. Sharing a beer and laugh after beating the poo poo out of each other for a good hour is pretty satisfying.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I once mixed creatine with beer, don't ever do that.....it's gross

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Beer is definitely awesome. It's just hard not to drink three or ten! After a particularly sweaty class the first one will just vanish the instant your lips come into contact with the liquid. It's also a hell of a recovery drink as every sportsman should be aware of, it's just that it often contains alcohol, so how much you enjoy this "recovery drink" is pretty important...

edit:

Hehe. I have not sparred in months but a friend has been pestering me to come strike with her after she completely lost her soul to grappling and MMA. I finally agreed to start "coaching" her for a while and we went this morning. Oh boy. She has a couple of years of kickboxing under her but, ummm, guys, how did you teach your friends not to turn their head and blink again? :v:

Ligur fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 14, 2015

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Ligur posted:

Beer is definitely awesome. It's just hard not to drink three or ten! After a particularly sweaty class the first one will just vanish the instant your lips come into contact with the liquid. It's also a hell of a recovery drink as every sportsman should be aware of, it's just that it often contains alcohol, so how much you enjoy this "recovery drink" is pretty important...

edit:

Hehe. I have not sparred in months but a friend has been pestering me to come strike with her after she completely lost her soul to grappling and MMA. I finally agreed to start "coaching" her for a while and we went this morning. Oh boy. She has a couple of years of kickboxing under her but, ummm, guys, how did you teach your friends not to turn their head and blink again? :v:

^^^ There are two drills that come immediately to mind. One is to have your friend stand with her back to the wall (not lean on it) and put her hands behind her back, then throw strikes slowly-ish at her forehead, the idea being that she needs to use headwork to get around the strike in someway. Speed up as you get comfortable, but you need enough control so that if you do tap her forehead you don't rock her head back into the wall.

The other, more direct thing you do is have her put on headgear and just tap her forehead over and over again while focusing on not blinking when the strike hits. If you want it to be more fight-like you can mix in movement while you're at it.

When I do either of these I generally don't wear pads and just use the palm of my hand to hit with. Feel free to use pads and fists or whatever works for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ligur posted:

We used to do a warm-up drill at combat sambo where you basically stand a few feet apart, plant your feet, and just trade 3-4 hit combinations back and forth quickly for a few rounds. You're hitting really light, tapping basically, but you're only allowed to block and check leg kicks -- no footwork or slipping/ducking. You should establish a rhythm where as soon as one person finishes their combo, the other person begins -- no pauses where you think about what you're going to do, you have to be thinking about that as you're blocking and be ready to throw as soon as it's your turn. I found that it was really helpful for staying composed and keeping your guard up (and your eyes on your opponent) as strikes come in, because at least some are going to get through, and the sheer volume helps get rid of the automatic blink/turn reaction. It's also good for establishing the instinct to throw some strikes once your opponent finishes a combination.

I feel like this is a much better drill than the wall/"I'm going to punch you lightly 100 times" stuff because it's way more live, and better than live stuff involving movement because the proximity to your partner and rhythm of it means you're seeing way more strikes than you would in light sparring with footwork.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 14, 2015

• Locked thread