Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Sebbe posted:

That was absolutely insane to watch.

Here's a direct link to the video.

I highly recommend watching the insanity if you have 1hr 40min to spare.

Holy spit that was something to see right there. He melted through those, especially the Lost run. Though seeing that made me slightly appreciate types like Cobalt and Richard more; this guy was obnoxious as hell to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Poizen Jam posted:

P.S. Also why are the devil deals awesome every time I decide to try an angel room/mega satan run?

To tempt you from God of course

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
By the way, special items only get harder to find when you see one, not by picking it up. So just seeing Soy Milk spawn in a Treasure Room and ignoring it can make it harder to find stuff like Brimstone or Mom's Knife. But because of that, Isaac is completely unaffected by the D6 being a special item since he starts with it. If you're hunting for stuff like Godhead or Sacred Heart, don't even look into a Devil Room.

pussy riot police posted:

Huh, I wonder if this was completely intentional on Edmund's part.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 12, 2015

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Dr. Fetus posted:

Huh, I wonder if this was completely intentional on Edmund's part.

Considering that the items spawned are determined by seed, no.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
You HAVE to look in at least one devil room though- you have to refuse a deal for a God Room to appear.

:golfclap:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Considering that the items spawned are determined by seed, no.

Nah, I meant like Devil rooms generally being better than Angel rooms. Like was that actually done for thematic reasons?

Poizen Jam posted:

You HAVE to look in at least one devil room though- you have to refuse a deal for a God Room to appear.

You don't, it just has to spawn. Oh and Black Market deals do count against you for Angel room spawns.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Poizen Jam posted:

Wiki says you don't have to look into it, just that the door had to have appeared on the previous floor.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Devil Rooms are 'better' by virtue of more items to choose from (one to three compared to always one), generally better items on average, usually no-issue cost of Devil items, and ease of access to Devil Rooms over the few hoops you have to get through to get into God Rooms. What offsets this is that the good God Room items are REALLY REALLY GOOD compared to some of the best Devil Room items. Plus, a lot of Devil Room chaff can add up to a potent combo, like spare guppy parts, which makes them more appealing as well.

But scoring a Halo, Holy Grail, Sacred Heart, or Godhead is pretty good.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

You don't, it just has to spawn. Oh and Black Market deals do count against you for Angel room spawns.

Well poo poo that's two things I didn't know.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Dr. Fetus posted:

Nah, I meant like Devil rooms generally being better than Angel rooms. Like was that actually done for thematic reasons?

Well, I'm not sure if the balance of items is as intended, but the more general relation between the two is definitely intentional. Also, the angel items are more defensive in nature where the devil items are more offensive.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Today I learned that two Dead Cats does not count as two Guppy Items. Good thing I've got 18 lives! :rolleyes:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of learned things, I learned the other day thanks to the DWhateverTheHell that rerolling your items when you have the Small Rock re-adds it to the item pool so that it can be found from blue rocks again, which is weird because like no other item in the game gets re-added to the pool once it's taken out. This game's code is a series of enigma riddles wrapped up in a nice big comfy zodiac killer cryptogram.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Black August posted:

Holy spit that was something to see right there. He melted through those, especially the Lost run. Though seeing that made me slightly appreciate types like Cobalt and Richard more; this guy was obnoxious as hell to listen to.
Did he play the Lost? I thought the 7 characters he played were Maggy, Eve, ???, Samson, Judas, Cain, and Isaac (ie, the 7 from the original Isaac). I didn't see any Lost, Azazel, or Lazarus.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

No Wave posted:

Did he play the Lost? I thought the 7 characters he played were Maggy, Eve, ???, Samson, Judas, Cain, and Isaac (ie, the 7 from the original Isaac). I didn't see any Lost, Azazel, or Lazarus.

I actually meant to quote another post with another run he did where he had an insane Lost run that included Epic Fetus, Mutant Spider, Dead Cat, and Holy Veil.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I just wrapped up a powerful Satan run with Isaac despite not having a key for either the 2nd or 3rd treasure room.

Brimstone + Spoon Bender (homing attack) + The Pony (flight) + Loki's Horns + various damage upgrades. Bob's Brain was the only item I got that I didn't like. I was flying around with the brimstone beam wiggling all over the place, aim-botting enemies. Damage could've been better but it wasn't bad.

Does anyone have a use for Bob's Brain? It seems that no matter how careful I am I get hurt by it quite often.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Bob's Brain can be very useful if you have low damage. It does pack quite a punch, which can be useful to carry you to your next decent damage up.

That being said, it is somewhat situational, so I don't take it every run.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Bob's brain is more likely to hurt you than actually damage an enemy so I tend to avoid it.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I will pick up Bobs brain when I have regular tears, but combined with a charge item/special weapons including moms knife and ipecac, it gets a little unwieldy, I'll usually pick it up in the former case, pass in the latter.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Bob's Brain is a bad item if you have high Speed and a disastrous one if you don't. It's up there with Soy Milk where run-ending items are concerned, and unlike Soy Milk it doesn't turn into an insta-win with certain item combos (Libra). Best to avoid it.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

Bob's Brain is a bad item if you have high Speed and a disastrous one if you don't. It's up there with Soy Milk where run-ending items are concerned, and unlike Soy Milk it doesn't turn into an insta-win with certain item combos (Libra). Best to avoid it.

No offense but I think you'd have to be pretty bad at this game if the brain ended your game with any regularity when you got it.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

It's not the worst thing to get during a blindfold challenge imo

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Black August posted:

I actually meant to quote another post with another run he did where he had an insane Lost run that included Epic Fetus, Mutant Spider, Dead Cat, and Holy Veil.

That's this one. It's also pretty good, but slightly less impressive because it wasn't 7 good runs in a row.
http://www.twitch.tv/problemsirl/c/5818771

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Poizen Jam posted:

I will pick up Bobs brain when I have regular tears, but combined with a charge item/special weapons including moms knife and ipecac, it gets a little unwieldy, I'll usually pick it up in the former case, pass in the latter.

It's not bad with charge attacks, since you can always charge while aiming into a wall so as to not accidentally explode.

I usually pick it up if I feel I need the damage.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Alright, 99 coins, let's hope the donation machine doesWHY DID YOU JAM I DIDNT EVEN PUT A SINGLE COIN YET

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

What would cause absurdly regular spawns of Angel Rooms? Just blind luck? I swear I got four or so (more?) of them consecutively on a single run. Ended up getting two Key pieces quite early on, thanks to Azazel + Ludovico. Everything bows before the laser donut.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Did you have both a rosary bead and a key piece? Those cause Angel rooms to spawn more frequently, and I believe they stack.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
gently caress Bob's Brain. The right analog on my controller tends to get slightly stuck in the up position, and absolutely any form of analog input will cause the brain to trigger (and followers to fire) without Isaac firing himself. There's been times I enter a room before I remember to "correct" the analog stick and it ends up firing on its own and hits an enemy that's too close and causes damage. This game really needs adjustable dead zone support already.

Anyway, I'm trying to get everything done for The Lost, got the Blue Baby run done when I got Holy Mantle on second floor, but now I keep loving up and choking when I have good items. I've even had the Stop Watch twice and hosed up both times. The second time I was in boss rush, and tried to kill the toxic poop guy immediately but he still managed to lay one down before I could get his attention. Of course, I end up not looking where I'm going later and end up flying into it. :smith: (having to meet the 20-minute criteria for boss rush is tense enough as it is since I want to be extra careful...)

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
To unlock the Scissors, do you need to get 100 game overs, or just 100 deaths? I noticed the death counter in statistics didn't go up when I died ~7 times on a successful run.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Woo! Platinum God achieved after 146 hours!

...oh dear, that means I actually have to unlock The Lost now, doesn't it? Dang it.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

kvx687 posted:

To unlock the Scissors, do you need to get 100 game overs, or just 100 deaths? I noticed the death counter in statistics didn't go up when I died ~7 times on a successful run.

Game overs.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Sebbe posted:

...oh dear, that means I actually have to unlock The Lost now, doesn't it? Dang it.

I had the same thought when I got Platinum God... then I thought better of it. The chances of me ever beating the game with the Lost are miniscule, I might as well spare myself the headache.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Okay so I was just having a solid Samson run which I took to the Chest. In my 4 chests I got Polyphemus, Ipecac and Monstro's Lung. I already had Chocolate Milk and was Guppy and some other stuff that I don't think would affect this...

Anyway I was like "what the hell I'll take all 3 of these" and I was shooting out giant explosive tears that seemed like they would one shot everything. For some reason I'd hit enemies seemingly directly and they'd barely take damage and would get poisoned but that would hardly hurt them either. Weird. I would have been better off not taking anything or just Poly

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Jibo posted:

No offense but I think you'd have to be pretty bad at this game if the brain ended your game with any regularity when you got it.

I just start a new game if I pick it up by accident.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Sebbe posted:

See this is why I completed the Lost runs early- rig the game in your favour by only unlocking good items and forgoing unlocking the Cellar, unlock The Lost, complete hard mode with the Lost. After that just enjoy your victory lap as you breeze through unlocking the rest of the items/secrets in the game.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Picked up Cursed Eye by accident. Turned out to not be so bad this time. Added My Reflection for hilarity:

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

Back when playing the original Isaac I remember reading the Pastebin from ColourPrinter with the full mechanics breakdown of the game. One of the points in it, was that you are better off skipping passives that you don't want because they would increase internal counters and make it less likely to receive passives later on in the run. Unfortunately, I have never heard that discussed outside that one Pastebin and I believe Xaiter mentioned it during his LP. Has anyone determined if that is something that has carried over to the Rebirth. I assume so, but as I said, I never hear anyone mention it.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
That's true of special items, which are usually the more powerful tear/mechanic altering items (Brimstone, Quad Shot, Pyromaniac...) which I guess are passive. It still appears to be as far as I can tell. I didn't think that's true for all passive collectables though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've finished a Lost run (the day I unlocked it in fast) but it's really kind of dumb how certain items are so unbearably significant to a run. Getting a Holy Mantle was absolutely the difference between 'annoying as poo poo' and 'difficult but fun.' I feel like if The Lost started with Holy Mantle it wouldn't be that much easier but a lot more fun.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
The idea of special items preventing other special items doesn't make sense to me as long as seeds work the way they do. My understanding is that item X in the 2nd treasure room will still be X even though you may or may not have picked up Y in the first treasure room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

The idea of special items preventing other special items doesn't make sense to me as long as seeds work the way they do. My understanding is that item X in the 2nd treasure room will still be X even though you may or may not have picked up Y in the first treasure room.

Seeds don't affect things governed by chance. Think of it like room drops: you may have the same seed as a friend, but in one room he might get a chest drop while you just get a bomb drop. This can either be because of the chance itself, or because you picked up something he didn't that increased your luck to alter the chance of it appearing. Similarly, special items are governed by chance as well: If you pick up a special item, it reduces the chance of seeing any other special items and when the next special item is set to appear in the seed, it rolls for the chance to turn it into a normal item instead. Both the special item that WOULD appear and the normal item it is replaced with are governed by the seed. If you use the same seed and don't pick up the first special item (or be in the same room as it, as it were), the second item will be the second special item instead of the normal one every time.

Basically that overly-long explanation amounts to: The normal items that appear wherever another special item would appear are also governed by the seed. Seeds are crazy deep poo poo.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 12, 2015