Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

what should i do for ethiopia trade? move into a better trade zone or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

holy crap lois

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I got a ck2 itch that can't be scratched, because the levy bug is not fixed. Paradox has fallen under the influence of wiz (who would not have been able to vote as recently as 1964)

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Average Bear posted:

I got a ck2 itch that can't be scratched, because the levy bug is not fixed. Paradox has fallen under the influence of wiz (who would not have been able to vote as recently as 1964)

Yeah, me too.

The CK2 itch part that is, not the voting part.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hahah the pdox thread has a billion people talking about how they learned about mapgames from like, LP's back in 2004 or whatever.

jesus christ, is that really the target audience for mapgames? spergs so lame and boring they don't even play games themselves?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

hahah the pdox thread has a billion people talking about how they learned about mapgames from like, LP's back in 2004 or whatever.

jesus christ, is that really the target audience for mapgames? spergs so lame and boring they don't even play games themselves?

*the wiz's hosed-up giggle reverberates through the forums*

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

I learned Crusader Kings 2 from an LP, and a succession game I took part in.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
io learned eu3 from the LP's here, i think they are still around. the guy who did them wrote them really well for a new player

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hoodrich posted:

io learned eu3 from the LP's here, i think they are still around. the guy who did them wrote them really well for a new player

It was probably Kersch, who I learned from. He did a vicky 2 one as well as CK2/EU3.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
i could never get into eu4 as much as eu3.. maybe i should give it another try now that its been a long time since release

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hoodrich posted:

i could never get into eu4 as much as eu3.. maybe i should give it another try now that its been a long time since release

It's genuinely a much better game than EU3 in its current state. AoW is so good.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's genuinely a much better game than EU3 in its current state. AoW is so good.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

also i got recced by a friend and read a LP as well... thats how i started CKing

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wiz isn't involved in hoi4 right

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I got started in this when I received HOI1 and EU1 as birthday presents from my grandma.

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Wiz isn't involved in hoi4 right

Nope, its podcat and darkrenown.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
I found out about HoI2 through some civ message board and found out about the rest of the games through that. I hope HoI4 is more like HoI2, I could never understand the last game.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Hoodrich posted:

I learned Eu3 from epic AAR's on the paradox forum where this guy named Pwnstar would do world conquests as lovely Opm's and tell you how to do it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:negative: loving New Spain and Portugese Brazil trying to cut me out of Brazil and California. I don't want to fight those guys. I have about the same size army as the both of them put together but their navies are way stronger and I rely on it to move around my stupidly long snake of a country. Is there any good way to make colonial nations revolt? Other than pray, I guess?

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

in the later part of the game, war exhaustion can cause a lot of liberty desire. but this wont help you much, since it would mean occupying spain/portugal for a long period of time.

why not just build a bigger navy? going over forcelimits isnt such a big deal, since you can mothball your heavy ships whenever you are at peace. you'll still be over forcelimits when you do that, but heavy ships are the only ones that cost a lot to maintain.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EvilMike posted:

in the later part of the game, war exhaustion can cause a lot of liberty desire. but this wont help you much, since it would mean occupying spain/portugal for a long period of time.

why not just build a bigger navy? going over forcelimits isnt such a big deal, since you can mothball your heavy ships whenever you are at peace. you'll still be over forcelimits when you do that, but heavy ships are the only ones that cost a lot to maintain.

i have poo poo for income. it ended up not really mattering because they didnt get to the california coast before me.

western america is mine you assholes

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Try to ally with France over in Europe if possible (probably not due to distance) since they are #1 most likely to smash Spain into dust until it has max war exhaustion.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Also my first mapgame was EU2.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I'm trying to learn EU4 coming from CK2. Is there any advantage to keeping my heavy ships docked? Does that save money or anything?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Parallax Scroll posted:

I'm trying to learn EU4 coming from CK2. Is there any advantage to keeping my heavy ships docked? Does that save money or anything?

heavy ship maintenance is expensive as motherfuck so they should be kept at dock/mothballed until a war against a naval power starts otherwise you are better off just letting light ships protect trade

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

heavy ship maintenance is expensive as motherfuck so they should be kept at dock/mothballed until a war against a naval power starts otherwise you are better off just letting light ships protect trade

Good to know, so I won't have them patrol just for the gently caress of it then.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I made this thread to talk to DICKHEAD about map games...I don't really want newbs making GBS threads it up tbh.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

eat a dick

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3606000

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DICKHEAD posted:

Try to ally with France over in Europe if possible (probably not due to distance) since they are #1 most likely to smash Spain into dust until it has max war exhaustion.

France got pwned by Spain/Austria/Portugal/England and has maybe 20 provinces and a force limit of like 50. Ottos and Austria ate half of Hungary each. Ottos ate most of the middle east too. So I allied big Norway and Austria but since everyone in Europe is friends except for the Otto/France alliance.

I really wish there was like a sow dissent option to make colonial nation's liberty desire rise but it would probably be OP since I'd just use it to snipe literally all of the Americas from Europe instead of just nearly all of it.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Parallax Scroll posted:

Good to know, so I won't have them patrol just for the gently caress of it then.

if you can afford it, it can be nice to attach some heavy ships to your trade fleets so that a sudden war won't result in you losing entire trade fleets out of the blue. also nice not to have to wait >6 months for your heavy ships to be ready for a fight

that's a luxury tho and generally plutonis is right

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm playing a Brandenburg game in EU4 and I'm loving the new AoW changes. Seems like the AI has been improved too. Poland was my ally for the first 30 years or so, until I fabricated a claim on Danzig and then they declared on the Teutonic Order before I could. Not to be deterred, I joined the war, then sieged enough provinces to take Danzig in a separate peace deal. Well that really pissed Poland off, and as soon as the war was over they cancelled our alliance and started fabricating claims on my other provinces, rather than just taking it up the rear end like they would in the past. They're now at hostile even though I've kept maxed relations with them the entire game and we have a RM, etc. I like that, it was too easy to cheese desirable provinces in the past.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yolomancer posted:

I'm playing a Brandenburg game in EU4 and I'm loving the new AoW changes. Seems like the AI has been improved too. Poland was my ally for the first 30 years or so, until I fabricated a claim on Danzig and then they declared on the Teutonic Order before I could. Not to be deterred, I joined the war, then sieged enough provinces to take Danzig in a separate peace deal. Well that really pissed Poland off, and as soon as the war was over they cancelled our alliance and started fabricating claims on my other provinces, rather than just taking it up the rear end like they would in the past. They're now at hostile even though I've kept maxed relations with them the entire game and we have a RM, etc. I like that, it was too easy to cheese desirable provinces in the past.

Yeah, it works the other way too in that you can keep a trusted alliance partner for centuries if your goals don't clash instead of them arbitrarily marking you as an enemy.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yeah, it works the other way too in that you can keep a trusted alliance partner for centuries if your goals don't clash instead of them arbitrarily marking you as an enemy.

I really like that a lot. It also seems a lot easier to get out of a rivalry if you don't have clashing goals, recent wars, and both have a mutual enemy (if you build up a relations a bit and the rivalry is old enough anyway).

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DICKHEAD posted:

I really like that a lot. It also seems a lot easier to get out of a rivalry if you don't have clashing goals, recent wars, and both have a mutual enemy (if you build up a relations a bit and the rivalry is old enough anyway).

Yeah. And also being able to get people out of coalitions, so long as they're not your rival. Don't know if this was always the case but finding it a lot easier to reduce the size of coalitions caused by AE just by taking diplomatic ideas and buttering people up.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
i decided to try out the cold war mod for darkest hour, and i am lolling at the fact that none of the new units got added into doctrine techs, so your guided-missile destroyers will only ever have positioning as good as a transport

also subs still can't freaking launch nukes and yet you have multiple kinds of SSB and SSBN.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

wiz finally fixed the levy bug

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

nice job wiz

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

If the wiz actually did anything to CK2 I'd uninstall it and set my computer on fire.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

it only took 3 weeks for them to fix that!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

it only took 3 weeks for them to fix that!!!

we're lucky that swedish holiday season is only 5 months of the year