Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

syscall girl posted:

if you see someone smoking in a car with kids in the back, yell at them

it will not accomplish anything, afaik but i don't know how not to do this

otherwise, carry on

also if they tap their ashes out the loving window instead of into their goddamn ashtray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Improbable Lobster posted:

i think it's reasonable to expect a driver not to throw out or sell something you forgot the next day even if you don't plan on tipping them

Lyon posted:

sure but you can drat well go get it yourself at a time and place that is convenient for the driver. if you want them to return it to you then you should compensate them in some way for their time and cost. they didn't forget your phone in the back of their car, you did.

p much this

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Main Paineframe posted:

also if they tap their ashes out the loving window instead of into their goddamn ashtray

or if they throw they cigarette butts out they window

had one land inside my car once :mad:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Elder Postsman posted:

when i was 17 my buddy threw a butt out the window and ended up with a minor in possession charge cause of the 2 cases in his trunk

hand to god never thrown a butt out the window since

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

My coworker and I were going to lunch and in the other lane this 10 year old kid in the back seat gave us the stink eye then flipped us off as his mom got on the exit ramp lol

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

when i was 17 my buddy threw a butt out the window and ended up with a minor in possession charge cause of the 2 cases in his trunk

me neither but mainly because gently caress paying $250 for littering.

Poniard posted:

My coworker and I were going to lunch and in the other lane this 10 year old kid in the back seat gave us the stink eye then flipped us off as his mom got on the exit ramp lol

flipping cars off from the back seat of the bus is how you prove you're a boss in elementary school. that kid knows what's up, he was practicing.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Jonny 290 posted:

actually smoking in tyool 2015.

btchs need to get all yospos and smoke some weird blue led thing instead

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i don't get the hate for ecigs, i'd prefer you suck a robot dick than crap up my air

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
ashes.... on the road???

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

crusader_complex posted:

ashes.... on the road???

i've had hot ashes fly in through the car window and burn me, never from a different car but it's probably possible. parents who smoke with their kid in the backseat are terrible but tapping the ashes out the window has a pretty dece chance of adding injury to insult

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Citizen Tayne posted:

His thing about people driving everywhere is absolutely correct, I've seen people start the car and drive sixty feet to the mailbox.

out here they ride atvs or those side-by-sides to the mailbox

Poniard posted:

this is why i still buy station wagons with rear facing seats

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
http://techcrunch.com/2015/01/07/robotbase-wants-to-put-an-intelligent-robot-in-every-house/

quote:

If it’s up to Robotbase, you’ll soon be coming home and a robot will greet you at the door. While you were away, the Robotbase Personal Robot patrolled your home, made sure the temperature was lowered when you left, maybe locked the door after you were gone and, through its built-in camera, allowed you to check in on your dog, too. Robotbase is officially launching its Kickstarter campaign today with an appearance from of our CES Battlefield judges today.

As Robotbase CEO Duy Huynh told me, the company’s mission is to build a platform for an autonomous robot with plenty of sensors, advanced computer vision and a good dose of artificial intelligence built-in so it can’t just react to what you’re telling it to do, but also proactively alert you and handle tasks quietly in the background.

In its current form, the Robotbase is a 4-foot tall robot that sits on a wide base with a telescoping arm that holds its screen, camera and other sensors. Huynh likened it to a really smart smart-home hub that goes beyond the standard tasks of those devices because it can’t just aggregate data from those tools, but also move around your home.

What really sets Robotbase’s efforts apart, however, is what the team calls “talents.” These are basically apps you can install on the Gen X. Say you are having a party. The Personal Robot, with its built-in image recognition skills and camera, can become your party photographer.

Huynh also told me that the company is working on a “security guard” skill that will have the robot patrol your home and a “storyteller” talent for lazy parents. Using that skill, the robot can tell your kids a bedtime story while you are spending some quality time with your Netflix queue. Once the robot notices your child has fallen asleep, it can turn off the light and roll back to its base station to charge.

The company purposely gave the robot a rather bland name — the “Artificial Intelligence Personal Robot” — because it wants people to name the robot themselves in order to personalize the experience. Users will also be able to create the faces that will pop up on the screen.

The robot will feature an always-on listening mode, which Huynh hopes will make it feel more natural for people to use voice to interact with it. Using its natural language processing skills, the system currently allows for some basic back-and-forth conversations. There will also be a touch interface on the screen and the team is working on gesture control, too (though that isn’t quite ready yet).

As Huynh admitted, it’s not easy to build this combination of speech recognition, natural language processing and computer vision, but he also believes that his team can overcome most of them.

“These used to be really hard problems,” he said. “But with deep neural networks, this is now much easier.” He also sees this as a platform. The software can always be updated, after all.

The core of the robot is built around an Nvidia Tegra K1 chip that handles most of the computation — all of which happens on the unit and not in the cloud. It will include sensors to measure temperature, barometric pressure and CO2, as well as a smell sensor to alert you when it finds a potential gas leak.

The company hopes to eventually sell its robot for under $1,500 — and maybe even $1,000. The Kickstarter campaign starts at $995 (limited to the first 50 backers). It’ll likely go on sale by the end of 2015 and while Robotbase plans to sell directly to consumers, it is also exploring relationships with brick-and-mortar retailers.

Huynh has a background in manufacturing and ran a factory and global sourcing business with more than 400 employees in the past. Thanks to this experience, he has the contacts to source components directly, which should help keep the price low.

For now, the company is focusing on the consumer version of the Personal Robot, but the company has also seen some interest from business customers who want to test the robot in their stores, for example.

the kickstarter got $50k in five days. for a roomba with a screen on top

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i wonder what share of buyers watches anime

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Forums Terrorist posted:

i'd prefer you suck a robot dick

Never not suck robot dick

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

all it took for me was one afternoon of highway cleanup crew. make that a requirement for getting a driver's license imo

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

also,

uncurable mlady posted:

the maker movement is a bunch of white dudes whose dads never taught them how to do anything useful (or more likely, completely ignored their dads when they were trying to)

it's me! lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

syscall girl posted:

otherwise, carry on

oh were you also a kid whose parents both smoked in the car with the windows up (or maybe ineffectually cracked open)?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i think what prompted my mother to finally quit was when my english teacher told her he thought i was smoking because i smelled so badly of cig smoke

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

FrozenVent posted:

I've seen people in graduate level logistics management classes argue that we shipping people were just wanking off because worldwide shipping would be made obsolete by 3d printer

I'm still mad over a year later

As someone in the industry, those people in that management class should be ashamed for thinking about something that ridiculous.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

crusader_complex posted:

ashes.... on the road???

i live in the west and every time i see somebody throw a glowing cigarette out they window i want to run them off the road.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i think what prompted my mother to finally quit was when my english teacher told her he thought i was smoking because i smelled so badly of cig smoke

i had some cousins who smelled like this. eventually they were taken away by the state

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

syscall girl posted:

otherwise, carry on

you nearly rang?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

As a Millennial I posted:

all it took for me was one afternoon of highway cleanup crew. make that a requirement for getting a driver's license imo

nah that'll backfire

"ah earnt the right ta throw trash out mah car winda when ah spent that afternoon claeanin up after other assholes"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elder Postsman posted:

same but bounced off my motorcycle helmet and it's happened several times

makes me want to start carrying around little bits of spark plug ceramic

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

same but bounced off my motorcycle helmet and it's happened several times

makes me want to start carrying around little bits of spark plug ceramic

some reddit turd posted a story about how he carries around an ashtray (i guess one of those cup ones) on his motorcycle and when he sees somebody throw a cigarette out their window he catches them at a red light and dumps the ashtray in their car

i'm sure it's complete reddit justice fantasy bullshit, but i still tell the story when it's appropriate because of the nice message

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm sure it's complete reddit justice fantasy bullshit, but i still tell the story when it's appropriate because of the nice message

good. people appreciate meaningful stories with life lessons in them, even if they aren't literally true. it's why aesop is famous after all.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
there's this village in africa where tribe members who commit murder are fired by catapult into the sun

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there is literally nothing offensive about that story aside from the noble-savage angle, and if that really gets you like this, you bunch are wound up too tight.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

just stop

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

literally me irl

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

prefect posted:

there's this village in africa where tribe members who commit murder are fired by catapult into the sun

literally a nicer message than the one in that story

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I just love when white people want to explain why others shouldn't be upset over their noble-savage white man's burden

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

there is literally nothing offensive about that story aside from the noble-savage angle, and if that really gets you like this, you bunch are wound up too tight.

for me it's not the "offensiveness" of it, it's that you think there's a "nice message" in there somewhere :psyduck:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

um it's "forgiveness is more productive than revenge" and it's kind of right on the tin so I'm not sure how you missed that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

^^ yeah

for me it's not the "offensiveness" of it, it's that you think there's a "nice message" in there somewhere :psyduck:

You don't see the message to the victim's family -- that having mercy on the condemned will ultimately help you live easily, while demanding revenge consumes your soul? It's Jesus telling his disciples to turn the other cheek. Placing more emphasis on mercy than on revenge is something that would benefit the US justice system considerably, which I think was the original context.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

^^ yeah

You don't see the message to the victim's family -- that having mercy on the condemned will ultimately help you live easily, while demanding revenge consumes your soul? It's Jesus telling his disciples to turn the other cheek. Placing more emphasis on mercy than on revenge is something that would benefit the US justice system considerably, which I think was the original context.

have mercy on us and :getout:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

…and scene.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

^^ yeah

it's just extremely contrived and doesn't really explain how or why it should actually help, just "and now their grief is over, the end"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

seriously though everybody shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

...a fable...unrealistic?? the situation...contrived???

jfc you people are dense. i'll freely accept that it's a racist framework but do you really act like this in daily life

duTrieux. posted:

seriously though everybody shut up

no, this is my hill and i'm dying on it

• Locked thread