Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm having a good time with Chaos in the Old World. My group played pretty much all played Risk growing up so the progression is pretty natural. Dealing with Khorne at first is a pain but I think once you realize you're a loving Chaos God and this not a game about turtling in your own area but being a dick 24/7 poo poo starts to open up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Toshimo posted:

I played Veto mode once. The first person vetoed King's Court. The second person vetoed Goons. I vetoed playing with those monsters.

That's why you put the vetoed cards back on the top of the pile - it forces them to keep vetoing the same cards each game or deal with it and play with them

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

silvergoose posted:

More people is *not* the most important thing, early; generally you either go heavy tools (making every die count more) or heavy farms (and then recruit more people once you basically never have to send people to feed).

In terms of points, you usually want a primary focus (tools, people, farms, huts) to go for the multipliers, and a secondary one, and try to get as many of the tech cards as you can, while you're at it.

You can do heavy people and starve which is pretty hilarious as a strategy, but not for beginners.

Played (Stone Age) again last night, went heavy tools, let my friend take the extra peep every turn, tried to burn through one of the hut stacks while I was ahead and he was still having to send half his people to hunt every turn. It was a good thought, but he caught on and kept blocking the hut stack I wanted (putting a peep there and not actually taking the hut), and although a small number of peeps with good tools is impressively efficient (I could mostly get away with sending only one or two peeps when I needed a resource), I fell behind in the production curve, couldn't keep up buying cards, and lost pretty spectacularly.

Still was a satisfying learning experience. I like the game a lot though I'm a little overwhelmed by how much it feels like you have to keep track of. It feels somehow more cutthroat than other 2-player WP games I've played, that there's more focus on reacting to and outmaneuvering the other player, rather than simply building the more efficient production engine.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I just realized there weren't any battle bot figures in my Space Alert box. I've been playing it with gray cubes all this time....

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fat Turkey posted:

I got to try out the Draughts café in London on Sunday. Got there at 10:30am and there were only a few people there, so it was easy to grab a table and some games. The layout of the place is good, and £5 entry fee is pretty fair.

They ran out of food by 12pm, and you’re not allowed to bring food in. By food I mean premade sandwiches (£5) and small bags of popcorn (£4.50). I’m all for non-Cola/Pepsi soft drinks but their ‘local’ brands of cola and lemonade were pretty disgusting. When asking for water, they came in tiny glasses, I’m guessing because they charge for bottled water. I get that they make their income from the food, but it’s still pretty stiff.

The place was packed by 1pm and stayed like that until the evening. Around 5pm they started playing music, which confused me as it had been getting harder to hear people anyway due to the crowds. I did enjoy it there though and would go again, I just wish they could rejig their business model a bit.

Terror in Meeple City and The Resistance: First time I played both, both went down fantastically and I want to play them again.

Dixit Jinx: Just dull dull dull.

Dead of Winter: Before this,  I played a forum game, found it pretty unbalanced and questionable, despite the decent theme. Playing it in real life had the downside of a long set-up and put away time. The unbalanced mess of the game did not make up for this. I was the betrayer in a 5 player group, but we still didn’t stand a chance even when I was TRYING to help them win so the game would go on long enough to vaguely possibly collect the 6 food cards I needed to get my secret objective. The idea that the set-up for the game is the same whether it was 5v0 or 4v1 is horrible, and the Crossroads cards inevitably screw you over but are again just occur randomly. The only positive I can say is that I now know I don’t want to play it ever again.

Caverna: I liked it but I also had to ‘teach’ it when we went along having just watched one runthrough. I think a smaller/simpler worker placement game would have been better for the occasion. But it’s always tough playing and learning such a long game in one go, I can only imagine how I’d feel if I played Twilight Struggle for the first time under similar circumstances.

Galaxy Trucker: Good but I was rushed and playing 2p with my bro and we both had the app anyway, so apart from the ship-building, all the book-keeping of the trip felt like a hassle. First World Board Game Problems! We should get it out for 3-4 players I think.
How was transport to there, btw? Was it easy/difficult to get to if you are, for example, in central London?

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
I'm trying to remember the name of a board game RPS once talked about but I cannot for the life of me find it or remember the name. It takes place during World War 2, and one player controls the guards wondering around a compound while the other controls a team of commandos trying to break in and complete an objective. It is NOT Incursion, it has more in line with The Dirty Dozen then sci-fi stuff or whatever.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

h_double posted:

Played (Stone Age) again last night, went heavy tools, let my friend take the extra peep every turn, tried to burn through one of the hut stacks while I was ahead and he was still having to send half his people to hunt every turn. It was a good thought, but he caught on and kept blocking the hut stack I wanted (putting a peep there and not actually taking the hut), and although a small number of peeps with good tools is impressively efficient (I could mostly get away with sending only one or two peeps when I needed a resource), I fell behind in the production curve, couldn't keep up buying cards, and lost pretty spectacularly.

Still was a satisfying learning experience. I like the game a lot though I'm a little overwhelmed by how much it feels like you have to keep track of. It feels somehow more cutthroat than other 2-player WP games I've played, that there's more focus on reacting to and outmaneuvering the other player, rather than simply building the more efficient production engine.

Yeah it can be pretty brutal 2p, it's a little more forgiving more-p since not all the spaces are blocked by one worker. The key to heavy tools is to then be able to send one guy out hunting while the rest gathers resources and cards. So, like, send one guy getting food, two guys getting wood, and two guys can take a card or hut each, and the last guy assuming you grew once, say, gets tools whenever he can. It usually goes decently well, but yeah, not the easiest. Glad you're having fun!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Two more 7 Wonders questions; has there been any official word on the scoring app getting an update for Babel? I love the score calculator (especially for Science) and I really like pulling stats of past games and seeing what strategies my friends favor, so I'd be really sad to have to go back to paper pads.

And, what's this 7 Wonders: Armada I've seen mentioned on BGG a couple times? The references seem to pre-date Babel, so did that expansion just get renamed? Or do we know of another expansion coming?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

jivjov posted:

Two more 7 Wonders questions; has there been any official word on the scoring app getting an update for Babel? I love the score calculator (especially for Science) and I really like pulling stats of past games and seeing what strategies my friends favor, so I'd be really sad to have to go back to paper pads.

No word and the last update for the thing was sometime in 2013, I doubt it's going to arrive at all. That said, it shouldn't really be a problem since Babel itself only adds one new scoring mechanism and the best you can get out of it is 5. Just tack the right number into the yellow or purple card count and it's basically the same.

incidentally I have taken to playing 7 Wonders via tabletop simulator over the internet so I can get more games of Cities and Leaders in rather than just the base game. Won with Mannekin Pis B where I managed to build it at the end of Age 2 and the single shield was enough to force a tie instead of a loss, so I might be eating my previous words about not liking it (nah I drew Bilkis during the leader draft I mean come on now that's unfair).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

T-Bone posted:

I'm having a good time with Chaos in the Old World. My group played pretty much all played Risk growing up so the progression is pretty natural. Dealing with Khorne at first is a pain but I think once you realize you're a loving Chaos God and this not a game about turtling in your own area but being a dick 24/7 poo poo starts to open up

Actually, fighting with Khorne is a surefire way to let him win much faster. None of the other three gods gain anything from engaging Khorne except possibly killing his warriors.

Playing Khorne with experienced players is actually kind of frustrating because not only do they know that they need to avoid Khorne, but they know the best ways to keep him out of their little corner of the map.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Some Numbers posted:

Actually, fighting with Khorne is a surefire way to let him win much faster. None of the other three gods gain anything from engaging Khorne except possibly killing his warriors.

Playing Khorne with experienced players is actually kind of frustrating because not only do they know that they need to avoid Khorne, but they know the best ways to keep him out of their little corner of the map.

The only one who has any business rolling dice against Khorne might be Nurgle, and that is only because his dudes are cheap and his cards are poo poo, so he tends to have some surplus of power points around turn 3-4 unless Khorne was stomping on him hard. I guess Slaanesh might steal one of Khorne's warriors to use against him, but eh. It's way better used to steal a cultist/get a launching pad to plop down dudes. Tzeentch absolutely turtles like a motherfucker.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Tekopo posted:

How was transport to there, btw? Was it easy/difficult to get to if you are, for example, in central London?

Well, I drove, which isn't much use to you. But my brother took the overground, regular enough services to south London, 30 mins, no problem. Its right outside the station so shouldn't be too difficult to get to. Don't know how Central you are but if you can get on that Overground route it shouldn't be a problem.

To the other person who responded about how London on Board is better, I think it comes down to circumstance. I don't live in London and so I grab a few people and we made a big day of it like it was an amusement park where we could ride anything we wanted. So I need to be there for a long time to make the journey worth it. London on Boars was good when I had to go to London for work and could get a few hours in after 6pm, but its too short to be worth it for me, and we would be at the whim of other people's selections.

Not that I wouldn't go to London On Boars again if I'm in London anyway. I hope to take Tekopo up on his Napoleon's Triumph offer, that is if he doesn't instantly regret it based on my play speed over Christmas!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Power Player posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a board game RPS once talked about but I cannot for the life of me find it or remember the name. It takes place during World War 2, and one player controls the guards wondering around a compound while the other controls a team of commandos trying to break in and complete an objective. It is NOT Incursion, it has more in line with The Dirty Dozen then sci-fi stuff or whatever.

Hour of Glory: Stronghold Kit?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Now I want there to be a London On Boars.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Some Numbers posted:

I meant more "teleport his units out of here, play cards that allow for no combat, etc" -- actively hinder him, rather than just kind of reacting to Khorne.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fat Turkey posted:

Well, I drove, which isn't much use to you. But my brother took the overground, regular enough services to south London, 30 mins, no problem. Its right outside the station so shouldn't be too difficult to get to. Don't know how Central you are but if you can get on that Overground route it shouldn't be a problem.

To the other person who responded about how London on Board is better, I think it comes down to circumstance. I don't live in London and so I grab a few people and we made a big day of it like it was an amusement park where we could ride anything we wanted. So I need to be there for a long time to make the journey worth it. London on Boars was good when I had to go to London for work and could get a few hours in after 6pm, but its too short to be worth it for me, and we would be at the whim of other people's selections.

Not that I wouldn't go to London On Boars again if I'm in London anyway. I hope to take Tekopo up on his Napoleon's Triumph offer, that is if he doesn't instantly regret it based on my play speed over Christmas!
We won't be able to play NT at LoB unfortunately, since they don't like 2P games that take a lot of space over there. You can come over to mine if you ever fancy getting crushed trying it out IRL.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

T-Bone posted:

I meant more "teleport his units out of here, play cards that allow for no combat, etc" -- actively hinder him, rather than just kind of reacting to Khorne.
Oh, yeah, playing actively against Khorne makes it very hard for him to get the murder train rolling. Of course, then you're dedicating resources that might otherwise be used to chase your objectives or hinder your other enemies.

This, in essence, is the core of CitOW. Finding the right balance of screwing everyone else and not getting screwed yourself. And there's no other game like it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

This, in essence, is the core of CitOW. Finding the right balance of screwing everyone else and not getting screwed yourself. And there's no other game like it.
The entire COIN series would beg to disagree :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tekopo posted:

The entire COIN series would beg to disagree :v:
You shush.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

No word and the last update for the thing was sometime in 2013, I doubt it's going to arrive at all. That said, it shouldn't really be a problem since Babel itself only adds one new scoring mechanism and the best you can get out of it is 5. Just tack the right number into the yellow or purple card count and it's basically the same.

Other than Babel, has there been any reason for the app to have gotten an update? I've not come across any bugs that would need fixing, and it supports Leaders, Cities, the Wonder Pack, and the Catan promo, so it's not missing anything else.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

S.J. posted:

Is there any difference between Dungeon Lords retail and the anniversary edition from the KS?

Since I don't think I spotted an answer to this... yes, there is. Anniversary Edition bundles in all the expansions (Festival Season, Minions Bearing Gifts) along with a couple of KS-exclusive events and spells (nothing else but events and spells, so nothing particularly important to miss out on) and comes with a better set of components (some nice glass cubes instead of wooden ones for player colours, primarily as well as minis instead of tokens for the trolls, and a set of little boxes for all the bits. The box insert fits everything in really nicely, too.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Would this fit all of the Dominion sets plus the new one?

bad joke incoming

some guy told me __________ was nine inches and I've never been able to measure accurately since

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

It's literally the same as this, but without the polyurethane finish or the laser engraving. You can even order it with an insert specifically designed for Dominion.

thespaceinvader posted:

Since I don't think I spotted an answer to this... yes, there is. Anniversary Edition bundles in all the expansions (Festival Season, Minions Bearing Gifts) along with a couple of KS-exclusive events and spells (nothing else but events and spells, so nothing particularly important to miss out on) and comes with a better set of components (some nice glass cubes instead of wooden ones for player colours, primarily as well as minis instead of tokens for the trolls, and a set of little boxes for all the bits. The box insert fits everything in really nicely, too.

It also comes with one additional mini-expansion (currently exclusive to Anniversary Edition), which gives you randomized initial setups with special rules.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Lorini posted:

Would this fit all of the Dominion sets plus the new one?

bad joke incoming

some guy told me __________ was nine inches and I've never been able to measure accurately since

You can buy the artist case from hobby lobby and the dividers from broken token often much cheaper. Around Xmas, the boxes were $17 and then there was 40% off coupon for one item. I bought a couple during that sale, so keep an eye out for them. Anyways, I'm still putting mine together but it's supposed to be able to fit all of the expansions through guilds, even with sleeves: http://www.thebrokentoken.com/euro-card-organizer-for-wooden-artist-case/

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/wooden-artist-case-125005/
Looks like they are running the 40% off one item code again. The boxes are pretty nice.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Gutter Owl posted:

It's literally the same as this, but without the polyurethane finish or the laser engraving. You can even order it with an insert specifically designed for Dominion.

quote:

This custom wooden artist case is designed to store all eight Dominion expansions and features the Dominion logo prominantly engraved on the top of the box.

There's going to be nine now. I was thinking that the general one might fit the new expansion.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

jivjov posted:

Other than Babel, has there been any reason for the app to have gotten an update? I've not come across any bugs that would need fixing, and it supports Leaders, Cities, the Wonder Pack, and the Catan promo, so it's not missing anything else.

No, I think it's got everything besides Babel and I reckon it was just left out because it makes so little difference to the scores by itself.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Lorini posted:

There's going to be nine now. I was thinking that the general one might fit the new expansion.

I'll let you know how much spare room I have when get everything sleeved and setup. My hunch is that if it fits everything with sleeves and the stock wooden dividers than you can probably squeeze in another 150 cards or so unsleeved and/or removing more wooden dividers

Edit: I'm also lukewarm on the encore expansion, myself. I'm skeptical and would rather dxv focuses on new properties but we'll see I guess.

Edit2: thread on BGG where someone has a photo of all the expansions, sleeved, and room for the next one: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1259842/how-store-game-which-will-expand-indefinitely

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 12, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gutter Owl posted:

It also comes with one additional mini-expansion (currently exclusive to Anniversary Edition), which gives you randomized initial setups with special rules.

Blah, didn't realise that was a KS exclusive.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

thespaceinvader posted:

Blah, didn't realise that was a KS exclusive.

It's not a KS exclusive, but it is an Anniversary exclusive. Theoretically, if Dungeon Lords: Happy Anniversary goes into distro like Galaxy Trucker: Anniversary Edition did, the Dungeon Setup expansion will be available in all copies.

And there's every possibility that the Dungeon Setup expansion will get plopped on the BGG promo store, like the Galaxy Trucker: Even Stevens expansion did.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Played quarriors.

Played some Galaxy trucker but one of the players had distinctly poorer luck than the rest.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

These Loving Eyes posted:

What is the thread's take on City of Remnants? I remember the SUSD folk loving it, but the overview didn't impress me, since it felt like the game had too many ideas and moving parts thrown haphazardly together.

I bought and played CoR a couple times based on their suggestion and I have to say, we must have played different games. I did not think it was good for a few reasons:

- The alien police were of no threat whatsoever. In fact, aside from the very beginning when they're a minor nuisance, you actually want them to attack so you can get stuff from beating them.
- Not enough incentive to attack other people. It's dangerous and you can probably do a better action elsewhere. There was very little conflict in our games.
- The deck-building is weak.

I think there were a couple other things but it's been a while (maybe a year or so?) since I've played it. It kind of further cemented my opinion that Plaid Hat Games puts out games that initially look awesome and then are just kind of bland. Summoner Wars is good stuff though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

jivjov posted:

And, what's this 7 Wonders: Armada I've seen mentioned on BGG a couple times? The references seem to pre-date Babel, so did that expansion just get renamed? Or do we know of another expansion coming?

If you're on Android, the one I use just got updated for Babel, has seperate tabs for the tower and projects, even.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My friend has suggested we have a multi-day (a few hours a day, nothing more) session of Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition, with a lot of players. Is this a terrible idea y/n

For the record we do play some decently in-depth board games, but rarely anything that lasts more than a couple hours.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Morpheus posted:

My friend has suggested we have a multi-day (a few hours a day, nothing more) session of Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition, with a lot of players. Is this a terrible idea y/n

For the record we do play some decently in-depth board games, but rarely anything that lasts more than a couple hours.

It's not really that long a game, but if you can only sit still for three hours at a time I suppose you could do it that way.

exser
Aug 18, 2003

Mojo Jojo posted:

It's not really that long a game, but if you can only sit still for three hours at a time I suppose you could do it that way.

Not only that, but at least for my group and I, the game is over before you know it, and oh poo poo it's 3am.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

exser posted:

Not only that, but at least for my group and I, the game is over before you know it, and oh poo poo it's 3am.

Yeah, we don't do that. I know I get a little antsy if I've been playing the same game for hours on end, so I wouldn't mind the break. At the very least, we'd start the game in the morning, play for a couple hours, take a lunch break, pick up the game again, and play until dinner or something. He expects us to take a while, and I've never played the game.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I don't suppose anyone has played a majority of the following and could compare them to games like Mage Knight (good but long and fiddly) and Arkham Horror (less good and even more long and fiddly:

Assault on Doomrock
Shadows of Brimstone
Robinson Crusoe
Eldritch Horror

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Morpheus posted:

If you live a magical life were you can assemble the same 6-8 people on a regular basis (every other day at most) with nobody missing then, go for it. If you live in reality then yes it is a terrible idea because you will never be able to assemble the whole group more than like once a month and in that amount of time everyone will forget what was happening and you have a big rear end table that has been sacrificed to the Twilight God and can't be used for any other purpose because you can't just setup and tear down the whole game mid-session.

So unless you mean "we're all on vacation together and are going to play over a three day weekend" or you're all college students living in the same complex or something it is an awful idea.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Looselybased posted:

I bought and played CoR a couple times based on their suggestion and I have to say, we must have played different games. I did not think it was good for a few reasons:

- The alien police were of no threat whatsoever. In fact, aside from the very beginning when they're a minor nuisance, you actually want them to attack so you can get stuff from beating them.
- Not enough incentive to attack other people. It's dangerous and you can probably do a better action elsewhere. There was very little conflict in our games.
- The deck-building is weak.

I think there were a couple other things but it's been a while (maybe a year or so?) since I've played it. It kind of further cemented my opinion that Plaid Hat Games puts out games that initially look awesome and then are just kind of bland. Summoner Wars is good stuff though.

Oh, thanks for the heads-up. You confirmed my worries, so I will stay away from the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

These Loving Eyes posted:

What is the thread's take on City of Remnants? I remember the SUSD folk loving it, but the overview didn't impress me, since it felt like the game had too many ideas and moving parts thrown haphazardly together.

If I already own Libertalia, would Mission Red Planet be different enough for me to enjoy? The designer is same and the mechanics sound kind of samey.

I played a friends copy of City of Remnants. Even that day he was all eager about selling it, asking everyone if they would be interested in buying. Took him a year to find a buyer.

It was quite obvious even from that play that the game was made of pieces that didn't work well together. There were some neat ideas in there, but the implementation was so hap-hazard. Even writing about it made me feel depressed... Just stay away.