Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Join Freestyle Cyclists and help repeal Australia's unjustified Helmet laws.

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.

Kazvall posted:

If you are talking about DAOC Live, I think it's time to make it F2P.

They would be crazy not to do a kickstarter first and attempt DAOC v2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Evenmtually sure but they could go f2p and sell all kinds of silly cosmetic poo poo, weapon skins, mini pets, mounts, housing poo poo, motherfucking housing poo poo goddamn. Dyes, this is one of the few games with a dye system and they aren't monetizing the poo poo out of it.

Personal emblems, spell effects (i dont know how much of a bitch this is in gamebryo), hell whatever. This is a game where people will reroll the same class in a bg just for a funnier pun name.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
The things that made Genesis pull much greater than live numbers. (Before it poo poo the bed, obviously.)

Old frontiers, SI era, etc.
That and free to play. Combine the two, along with a reasonable f2p system. Say, item models for cash. And maybe reasonable xp boosts, as long as there's no pay for advantage in RvR, you're golden.

But here's what I see wrong with live (I'm biased as gently caress, I've hated everything since ToA.)
Gear wall/Money wall for returning players is too drat high. I could settle for a garbage/mediocre template, but that's not cool. I also refuse to buy china gold.
Buffbots/2 accounts are still necessary. The buffbot npcs are nice. But the disparity is still there. And a bot is necessary to make money at any reasonable rate.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

madpanda posted:

Evenmtually sure but they could go f2p and sell all kinds of silly cosmetic poo poo, weapon skins, mini pets, mounts, housing poo poo, motherfucking housing poo poo goddamn. Dyes, this is one of the few games with a dye system and they aren't monetizing the poo poo out of it.

Personal emblems, spell effects (i dont know how much of a bitch this is in gamebryo), hell whatever. This is a game where people will reroll the same class in a bg just for a funnier pun name.

Exactly. They could even just make the classic zone + DF + RvR the only thing available to free accounts and I'd be fine.

PriNGLeS posted:

The things that made Genesis pull much greater than live numbers. (Before it poo poo the bed, obviously.)

Old frontiers, SI era, etc.
That and free to play. Combine the two, along with a reasonable f2p system. Say, item models for cash. And maybe reasonable xp boosts, as long as there's no pay for advantage in RvR, you're golden.

But here's what I see wrong with live (I'm biased as gently caress, I've hated everything since ToA.)
Gear wall/Money wall for returning players is too drat high. I could settle for a garbage/mediocre template, but that's not cool. I also refuse to buy china gold.
Buffbots/2 accounts are still necessary. The buffbot npcs are nice. But the disparity is still there. And a bot is necessary to make money at any reasonable rate.

It didn't seem too hard the last time I played to get leveled and geared. You have to rely on a SCer, of course. You can buy all MLs and Arties with BP, I believe. It goes back to needing a support system, or easy access to groups.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Warbadger posted:

So the question is: what would you do with the game on the live servers to improve it? If I pointed the developers to this thread to read it, what is the top wishlist of things-that-should-be-done (preferably those without needing a ton of resources to implement) and why?

Low cost/already implemented:
  1. Set up an official Origins-style server. (Okay, this might not be low-cost, but it's probably the highest chance of reward.) I like the Atlantis zones and monsters, but not the abilities/items that came with them. The complexity and high barrier of entry makes the game less accessible to new players now.
  2. Bring back the Realm War section of the Herald.
  3. Institute bonuses for low-population realms in RvR and/or encourage people to stick with a realm (maybe with titles or something for players that only play on one realm?). I think relic-hopping and cross-realming was a problem because getting smeared across the pavement gets old after a while. People need a good incentive to put up with it.

With a few more resources:
  1. Update the UI. It doesn't need much, just a bit of a revamp to not be painful. Why should someone have to delve the info for each item to see its stats?
  2. Lower DPS across the board. Seriously. Mythic tried to balance the game by adding more abilities, so the abilities have been escalating for years. Casters are insane, and mana hasn't been a limiting factor for them since the mythirians came out. It isn't as fun when the challenge is gone, and it's incredibly frustrating for new players when they're constantly beaten down by 10+ year veterans, so the current model actually discourages new players. Doing Origins could help even the score.

With a lot more resources:
  1. Actually fix the netcode to address rubberbanding and run speed.
  2. Switch to an engine that's cross-platform, so Mac and Linux users can play.

And just my own little wish list:
  1. New trophies. Come on.
  2. Throwback events. Do a week or a month where the old dragon models are used. Open up Old Frontiers once in a while. Like when Mythic temporarily reinstated the portal ceremony.
  3. Fix the typos in the quests. :argh:

Honestly, with a new UI and some better netcode, it could already be DAoC2. It's still a very compelling game, so just touching it up a bit would attract attention.

I have mixed feelings about F2P. I enjoy sub-based games because I feel like free games attract a lot of people who don't care if the game succeeds or not; it's just the flavor of the month. The company also has less incentive to support the game long-term when most of the consumers aren't paying, and it's easy for them to get lured into a pay to win model in order to cover server costs. We all want nice things for free, but I don't personally feel like my DAoC experience would be better if I didn't have to pay.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
After the last update ESO is now crashing upon starting. How do I get daoc back in my life for an hour or two every few days.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Kazvall posted:

Exactly. They could even just make the classic zone + DF + RvR the only thing available to free accounts and I'd be fine.

It didn't seem too hard the last time I played to get leveled and geared. You have to rely on a SCer, of course. You can buy all MLs and Arties with BP, I believe. It goes back to needing a support system, or easy access to groups.

Just depends on the quality of template you're willing to settle for. ML10 weapons were still going for 50+p, etc. Seasonal items like halloween helms/bracers were 20~p. A good template would pull around 200+ plat, if not way more. I spent about 60p just doing an okay CV template for a blademaster. About 4 months ago.

All of that aside, RvR on live is poo poo garbage.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

PriNGLeS posted:

Just depends on the quality of template you're willing to settle for. ML10 weapons were still going for 50+p, etc. Seasonal items like halloween helms/bracers were 20~p. A good template would pull around 200+ plat, if not way more. I spent about 60p just doing an okay CV template for a blademaster. About 4 months ago.

Those are some high loving prices.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

PriNGLeS posted:

Yeah, RvR on live sucked the last time I played, a few months ago.

1. Ask in /lfg for RvR group
2. Get no responses
3. Sigh and join the realm RvR battlegroup
4. Get into a group, probably with 5 people or less, no healers, CC, or speed
5. Run with the zerg
6. Die a lot

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Join Freestyle Cyclists and help repeal Australia's unjustified Helmet laws.

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.

Combo posted:

Yeah, RvR on live sucked the last time I played, a few months ago.

1. Ask in /lfg for RvR group
2. Get no responses
3. Sigh and join the realm RvR battlegroup
4. Get into a group, probably with 5 people or less, no healers, CC, or speed
5. Run with the zerg
6. Die a lot

I haven't played in a year or more but there is a pretty active IRC group if you are looking for 8v8. Outsiders don't usually get a group otherwise.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

and therin lies the problem, i remember back in the last great goon golden age there were a few hib leaders that did take anyone groups and were successful. Those were zergs though. It seems those aren't even happening much unless you are part of a clique already. It's a special kind of poo poo feeling to see your realms keeps being taken, sitting at your border keeping spamming for a group and getting nothing. And yea I used to run around and solo/try to join in zerg fights or as some people would say "add", you know how well that goes.

Having a nice UI to display and advertise open groups, and incentivizing running an open group I think would be a big help.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Basically every old MMO needs to go F2P with an improved benefit for subbing and classic/progression servers.

I'd play the HELL out of DAoC and UO Progression servers.

IIRC EverQuest set it up so that it's "f2p" with permanent paid unlocks (like classes) or you can go premium and have everything in the game, including access to their progression servers (starts in classic, then when people have done the raids, first expansion, etc) which are I believe their most popular servers.

You can absolutely go F2P and still make bank. It has been shown to revitalize the population, which is an important step to having a good, profitable game.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

After the last update ESO is now crashing upon starting. How do I get daoc back in my life for an hour or two every few days.

You wait or play PvP freeshards it looks like.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

Now the Come Back to Camelot promotion is running, so you could resub and get 13 days of free play as part of the 13th anniversary celebration.

If you guys haven't seen the latest news on the Herald, there's a lot going on. New race/class pairings have been enabled. October is all 13th anniversary stuff, including some kind of RvR tournament. There's a new producer for DAoC at Broadsword. And I'm sure there's more to be announced.

Due to the anniversary month focus, the 1.116 patch has been pushed out to Nov/Dec, but it looks awesome:

The Herald posted:

• With CL15, we'll also be doing some re-balancing of the existing Champion Level abilities and adding completely new ones!
  • New Champion Level 15 Weapons and Art are coming, and we think you’ll be pleased!
  • Darkness Falls is getting revamped! Bigger, better encounters with new rewards and updated loot.
  • A Casual Group Finder is being introduced to allow players that want to jump in and RvR a way to find a group very quickly - with just the press of a button!

Also, they intend to introduce some UX enhancements:

The Herald posted:

• ​Market Explorer Search Enhancements
  • A Map + Quest Journal combination and revamp
  • Tooltip Item Delves
  • Right-click to equip or swap inventory
  • Ability list management and Quickbar functionality
  • Guild and Social Management tools
  • In-game Mail

So, overall, Broadsword is definitely trying really hard to keep DAoC alive, and it's great to see. I'd still really be curious about some kind of Origins-like server and other revamps, but addressing the UX would be a huge leap forward. The 13 days promotion is rather tempting...

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
The reason that the market prices are so inflated is that the plat farmers are still in full swing. Pop into PoC at any time of the night and see the massive bot pulls going on. The dollar price of plat is at an all-time low. $20 lands you nearly 300 plat. For people that are already spending 30-45 a month (main and two buffbots), what's another 40-50 dollars?

I think I bought 500 plat during my last stint just because I wanted to have some spending money.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Holy poo poo a working group finder would be huge. There actually is or used to be one in game but they might have taken it out because it was so lovely. It was basically just a message board you had to keep checking.

This will be the what 4th Darkness Falls iteration? I think I actually missed the 2nd one completely.

13 days is tempting but again only if other goons are playing. I've tried the whole "solo to 50 and hope pickup groups run" thing and it just doesn't seem to fly in any realm except alb for zerging. This is on Ywain, i can't deal with the non permenancy of freeshards.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'd be up for the two weeks starting this weekend. That's if other goons decide to do it as well.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

I've been playing for the last few months on Live but having lost my main account I was pretty much starting from scratch.

Leveling is insanely fast now, especially if you have a smallman or group to just chain the BG quests [[a few friends went from 1-50 today as a duo, given it was all day though]].
Items are really expensive BUT plat is really easy to come by and doing frontier quests/killing doppelgangers nets you shards that can, eventually and with luck, be used to procure ml10 items and other expensive template items.

If you're playing at the end of the month when the Halloween quests roll around [I've never been able to do one so hoping to this year] I'd recommend you do them on every character you can as those items will skyrocket in value in a few months.

Lv 50 frontier pvp seems, at least to me because I've just been playing catch up, to be a zerg poo poo show but small man does exist and is still awesome.

Molvik [level 39 BG] is pretty awesome and fun though so I'd recommend at least stopping there for a few nights and getting 2L9. Cathal Valley [level 49 BG] is slightly less populated but still really fun and you can hit nearly RR5 in there before going to big boy rvr.

I just leveled my elf animist to 50 and templated him so if people are gonna resub and need help just hit me up on Lazro, Nixnin, Ninxas or Nyncks

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Sounds about normal which is cool, i forgot about the Halloween vendor stuff. I liked doing the BG's with smallman and stealth squads and forgot I have stealthers on mid/hib.

gently caress it im playing casually for the 2 weeks, on hib side. This is Splahterhouse (luri champ was my main during the last goon renaissance).

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Rolling an Alb ~*RIGHT NOW*~ to gently caress around. Who wants to be friends?

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner
I'm rolling with that pringles chump so we need a third.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

If I'm bored later tonight after the kid goes to bed I'll roll something on Live, I think I'm due for 14 days or whatever.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

So when did they undo the melee style changes? I see Annihilation is back to a single style (used to be 2 chain) but now a 7s stun instead of 9.

I've been mainly messing around on lowbies getting used to the movement/combat again.

Also found

http://uthgard.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28267

To make the game look pretty

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 12, 2014

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Yaaaa, I didn't read much before resubbing and knew nothing of the style changes.

Joke was on me when I kept trying to snowshower someone on my BM [old school: back positional spammable snare] only to find it's now a frontal attack and Hurricane is now the backsnare with Supernova [old school: 3rd in side chain] is now a followup to Hurricane.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

I've mostly been templating characters over and over and leveling alts for Molvik as of late and still having a blast.

Got my new BM templated as piercemaster, was doing Supplies quest in DC and got hit by a rr10 inf [Perfected] who was thoroughly owned.

Having your first kill on a character being a solo kill on a rr10 inf is pretty awesome.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Low cost/already implemented:
  1. Set up an official Origins-style server. (Okay, this might not be low-cost, but it's probably the highest chance of reward.) I like the Atlantis zones and monsters, but not the abilities/items that came with them. The complexity and high barrier of entry makes the game less accessible to new players now.
  2. Bring back the Realm War section of the Herald.
  3. Institute bonuses for low-population realms in RvR and/or encourage people to stick with a realm (maybe with titles or something for players that only play on one realm?). I think relic-hopping and cross-realming was a problem because getting smeared across the pavement gets old after a while. People need a good incentive to put up with it.

With a few more resources:
  1. Update the UI. It doesn't need much, just a bit of a revamp to not be painful. Why should someone have to delve the info for each item to see its stats?
  2. Lower DPS across the board. Seriously. Mythic tried to balance the game by adding more abilities, so the abilities have been escalating for years. Casters are insane, and mana hasn't been a limiting factor for them since the mythirians came out. It isn't as fun when the challenge is gone, and it's incredibly frustrating for new players when they're constantly beaten down by 10+ year veterans, so the current model actually discourages new players. Doing Origins could help even the score.

With a lot more resources:
  1. Actually fix the netcode to address rubberbanding and run speed.
  2. Switch to an engine that's cross-platform, so Mac and Linux users can play.

And just my own little wish list:
  1. New trophies. Come on.
  2. Throwback events. Do a week or a month where the old dragon models are used. Open up Old Frontiers once in a while. Like when Mythic temporarily reinstated the portal ceremony.
  3. Fix the typos in the quests. :argh:

Honestly, with a new UI and some better netcode, it could already be DAoC2. It's still a very compelling game, so just touching it up a bit would attract attention.

I have mixed feelings about F2P. I enjoy sub-based games because I feel like free games attract a lot of people who don't care if the game succeeds or not; it's just the flavor of the month. The company also has less incentive to support the game long-term when most of the consumers aren't paying, and it's easy for them to get lured into a pay to win model in order to cover server costs. We all want nice things for free, but I don't personally feel like my DAoC experience would be better if I didn't have to pay.

Well, I'll pass it (and the rest of the related posts) along to the right people to take a glance at. The game is no longer under EA (or Mythic for that matter) and improvements are much more likely to happen now under Broadsword.

It gives me a great excuse to go see some my old work friends anyways.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 13, 2014

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Is anyone still playing on live?

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

PriNGLeS posted:

Is anyone still playing on live?

I've been levelling a character (haven't played in many years) on a trial account and the battlegrounds are fairly active, to be honest. I've found a few groups and chatted with strangers; the community seems generally nice. I would imagine most people are in a similar boat e.g. returning for nostalgia.

It's also really fast/easy to level, dunno how long it's been like this but questing through the battlegrounds is a breeze especially with bounty points and cheap buffs. I'm level 40 in 8 hours and that's with a fair amount of loving about/familiarizing myself with the game again/getting caught up in RvR'

Would someone be able to give me a brief rundown of what to do once I hit 50 please? I haven't played since Trials of Atlantis and I have no idea what Champion Points or whatever are !

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Bloodbath posted:

I've been levelling a character (haven't played in many years) on a trial account and the battlegrounds are fairly active, to be honest. I've found a few groups and chatted with strangers; the community seems generally nice. I would imagine most people are in a similar boat e.g. returning for nostalgia.

It's also really fast/easy to level, dunno how long it's been like this but questing through the battlegrounds is a breeze especially with bounty points and cheap buffs. I'm level 40 in 8 hours and that's with a fair amount of loving about/familiarizing myself with the game again/getting caught up in RvR'

Would someone be able to give me a brief rundown of what to do once I hit 50 please? I haven't played since Trials of Atlantis and I have no idea what Champion Points or whatever are !

Go to the king room in your capital city and get your welfare gear and start champion quests. Also do your epic, epic armor is pretty good these days. Also supplies for the cause repeatable quest for doppel shards and bounty points. You can use bounty points to buy ML credit/artifacts. You can also do the Atlantean Glass quests once for your lump sum of glass. (I think its 3k or 5k)
Alternatively, get welfare gear, and zerg surf if youre just riding out the free 14 days.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
Rolled 3 classes into thidranki in the space of 8 hours and thats with relearning how to play, figuring out how to get best gear for 20-24 and doing a little nostalgia sightseeing. Blows my mind this game is still fairly well populated. Last time I played was before the minotour poo poo. Its been a long time.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

WonderfulWino posted:

Rolled 3 classes into thidranki in the space of 8 hours and thats with relearning how to play, figuring out how to get best gear for 20-24 and doing a little nostalgia sightseeing. Blows my mind this game is still fairly well populated. Last time I played was before the minotour poo poo. Its been a long time.

Just wait til you hit Molvik [level 39 BG] it's like the go to playground. During US Prime it wasn't at all rare to see 20-30 people on each realm as of a few months ago

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Rannison posted:

20-30 people on each realm

:eyepop:

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Seriously, though, how is this game still alive?

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Sometimes I have dreams about Uthgard reopening.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Uthgard coming up on 1 year of down time.

Game is still alive because no one has come close to replicating the RvR/PvP.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
In regards to freeservers (And Live, which really REALLY needs a progression/classic server) I think they really need to do what SBEmu is doing, and mix things up a bit - everyone already knows what works and doesn't work. And I feel like part of the problem is that, well, some things just don't work.

Progression through Live, the changes were REALLY heavy handed and balance was just flung wildly around in every direction. That could work on an emu too, so long as people don't know beforehand how the changes will impact the game. Ideally, nudges in different directions instead of drastic nerfs. Lots of the classes and specs could use improving.

Also bugs that drastically alter balance would be good to fix and not keep in the game because "classic!!"

I don't see Uthgard opening anytime soon, Genesis is dead, and I really really doubt they're ever going to implement a classic/progression server for Live even though that's pretty much all they need to do.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Tom Powers posted:

In regards to freeservers (And Live, which really REALLY needs a progression/classic server) I think they really need to do what SBEmu is doing, and mix things up a bit - everyone already knows what works and doesn't work. And I feel like part of the problem is that, well, some things just don't work.

Progression through Live, the changes were REALLY heavy handed and balance was just flung wildly around in every direction. That could work on an emu too, so long as people don't know beforehand how the changes will impact the game. Ideally, nudges in different directions instead of drastic nerfs. Lots of the classes and specs could use improving.

Also bugs that drastically alter balance would be good to fix and not keep in the game because "classic!!"

I don't see Uthgard opening anytime soon, Genesis is dead, and I really really doubt they're ever going to implement a classic/progression server for Live even though that's pretty much all they need to do.

They did that on Genesis, to an extent, they kept moving the goal posts. mostly to improve casters (giving the level 50 baseline lifetap to albs), etc. As if casters in a pre-charge daoc weren't silly to begin with. I wouldn't trust anyone on this earth not to completely and utterly gently caress everything up with truly custom changes in daoc. You don't really have the freedom to gently caress things up in daoc like you do with shadowbane. Anyone can make anything. Make the fotm class/build/whatever. If something ends up way overpowered in daoc (it would), you just end up with 50 fotm classes and an empty emain.

Uthgard will never release their intended product. Maybe we'll end up with Uthgard 1.0 with an improved code base . I'd be fine with that. I doubt they will though. SI lands/raids/dungeons are overrated as hell.

Also I would play the poo poo out of a Broadsword made and supported classic/progression server (as long as the progression stopped before toa).

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

SI PvE is awesome. What the gently caress. :(

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
I got rid of my SI PvE nostalgia with Genesis. Even if it didn't really work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Yeah SI PVE was okay but some of it is rose-tinted glasses and some is we already had badass characters from classic that took very little to progress.

STARTING FRESH in SI is pretty miserable.

Edit: although enemy drops WERE hosed up on genesis so maybe that contributed to how lovely it felt.

• Locked thread