Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Family Values posted:

What the gently caress?

That's a troubling precedent for a lot more than just foie gras if states can't regulate things more tightly than federal laws. What's that do to state environmental, labor, etc. laws?

It's not really any worse than other federal preemption a against state action. The decision itself actually ruled that the foie gras ban constituted a regulation of poultry ingredients as defined by the Poultry Products Inspection Act, which are explicitly preempted by that law.

EDIT:

Leperflesh posted:

The egg legislation is probably a better model for CA to deal with unethical treatment of fois gras birds anyway: create a baseline for ethical treatment of ducks/geese/etc., and then ban products that don't meet that baseline.

Presumably, the reasoning used in this case would still apply and that alternate regulation would still be ruled unenforceable as an illegal additional regulation on poultry ingredients.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's not really any worse than other federal preemption a against state action. The decision itself actually ruled that the foie gras ban constituted a regulation of poultry ingredients as defined by the Poultry Products Inspection Act, which are explicitly preempted by that law.

Huh. That seems like a pretty reaching federal law, right there. I wonder why the egg legislation isn't within its reach? Maybe eggs aren't considered "poultry ingredients."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Leperflesh posted:

Huh. That seems like a pretty reaching federal law, right there. I wonder why the egg legislation isn't within its reach? Maybe eggs aren't considered "poultry ingredients."

Maybe it is within its limits? I remember in the initial article posted here it said several egg producers had submitted legal challenges, but there was no info on what grounds. Maybe the egg law is doomed to the same fate.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Zeitgueist posted:

30 years until Los Angeles, a city that's probably a top 30 world economy on it's own, gets an okay metro rail system

If LA had a metro I would burn my car and dance around it.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
By metro I mean a good one.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

drilldo squirt posted:

By metro I mean a good one.

Hey now, they're expanding it so that the rich people in SM can go visit the rich people downtown.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

Hey now, they're expanding it so that the rich people in SM can go visit the rich people downtown.

To be fair there weren't rich people downtown until they built the metro.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Zeitgueist posted:

http://media.metro.net/riding_metro/maps/images/rail_map.pdf

There is already rail access in some of the poorer areas. Trying to remove the twice week-daily (or continual) crush that occurs on the 10 is not a hand job to the rich. The metro line also serves areas in South Central. Given my druthers though, I would ask for at least twice as much rail.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I mostly just want the Blue Line to make it all the way to Union Station, so I can ride Pacific Surfliner from SLO to LA, then hop on the Blue Line to Long Beach, without having to ride two stops on the Red/Purple Line, then pay a second fare to get on Blue.

(I'm supposed to pay a second fare, right?)

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

CPColin posted:

I mostly just want the Blue Line to make it all the way to Union Station, so I can ride Pacific Surfliner from SLO to LA, then hop on the Blue Line to Long Beach, without having to ride two stops on the Red/Purple Line, then pay a second fare to get on Blue.

(I'm supposed to pay a second fare, right?)

If you are using TAP (I thought people must use TAP on the rail these days), then you should be paying $1.75, including transfers. See here: http://www.metro.net/riding/fares/ and try here http://socaltransport.org/tm_pub_start.php.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Boot and Rally posted:

http://media.metro.net/riding_metro/maps/images/rail_map.pdf

There is already rail access in some of the poorer areas. Trying to remove the twice week-daily (or continual) crush that occurs on the 10 is not a hand job to the rich. The metro line also serves areas in South Central. Given my druthers though, I would ask for at least twice as much rail.

Either end of the expo line is rich areas. Every stop along the expo line is gentrifying(look at all the teardowns happening on Crenshaw). It's essentially going to be the rich people line.

The Blue line is the main rail going through poor areas and it will often leave the 7th/Metro station completely full during rush hour. It needs to be twice as many trains.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article6076293.html

Gavin Newsom isn't running for Boxer's seat. So it's basically Kamala Harris then, right?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Huh, then who'll be running for governor in 2018?

I'd like Goodwin Liu to run for either, but then again I still have that pipe dream of him getting on the SCOTUS.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Kobayashi posted:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article6076293.html

Gavin Newsom isn't running for Boxer's seat. So it's basically Kamala Harris then, right?

Right on the money:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Kamala-Harris-Announces-Run-for-Barbara-Boxers-Senate-Seat-288404361.html

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Zeitgueist posted:

Either end of the expo line is rich areas. Every stop along the expo line is gentrifying(look at all the teardowns happening on Crenshaw). It's essentially going to be the rich people line.

The Blue line is the main rail going through poor areas and it will often leave the 7th/Metro station completely full during rush hour. It needs to be twice as many trains.

If the blue line needs more trains, it should get more trains. However, anything that can alleviate traffic in LA is a good thing. It isn't like the Metro line doesn't connect to other lines or has requirements like different fares for different zip codes. A good system must have good coverage, the west side is currently not covered.

As I stated though, if I had my way I'd give everyone all the trains they can handle.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Huh, then who'll be running for governor in 2018?

I'd like Goodwin Liu to run for either, but then again I still have that pipe dream of him getting on the SCOTUS.

Newsom.

Liu getting a SCOTUS nomination would be a great "gently caress you" to Congress. I'd laugh heartily.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Boot and Rally posted:

If the blue line needs more trains, it should get more trains. However, anything that can alleviate traffic in LA is a good thing. It isn't like the Metro line doesn't connect to other lines or has requirements like different fares for different zip codes. A good system must have good coverage, the west side is currently not covered.

As I stated though, if I had my way I'd give everyone all the trains they can handle.

I want trains all over the place, I'm just bitter because of the class history of trains in LA.

We underbuilt from the beginning because LA middle/upper class people in power say "who rides public transit" in LA, when the answer is obvious: People who have to because they can't afford/have a car. Then, shockingly, the train we built directly through the poorest parts of LA, the Blue, was actually used so we ended up having to almost immediately expand the train platforms. We also have the purple line, built at great expense underground but successfully stopped after like 2 stations because poor people might get into Beverly Hills. Not to mention, you mostly see transit cops checking for tickets at the poorest stations.

I'd love a train plan that didn't involve 30 years....by the time its build the entire city will be gentrified.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I read somewhere that multiple Blue Line trains start to line up at at-grade crossings during rush hour, so adding trains wouldn't help unless they also separated the rails from the roads.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

CPColin posted:

I read somewhere that multiple Blue Line trains start to line up at at-grade crossings during rush hour, so adding trains wouldn't help unless they also separated the rails from the roads.

That's absolutely true, and the entire reason it's above ground and at-grade is because they under-built the gently caress out of it. It's only going to get worse as ridership increases as it's projected to.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

CPColin posted:

Yeah, when people say "add more trains" to an existing track I assume capital expense beyond simply purchasing more trains is required. If anyone has any knowledge on the subject I'd be interested to hear how LA could upgrade the Blue line. It seems like they would have to just build new, separate tracks to avoid the phenomenal cluster gently caress that would be closing a system running past capacity.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Underground or raised rail is orders of magnitude more expensive than at-grade. The last time they extended BART in the SF Bay Area, I think the "rule of thumb" was a billion dollars a mile.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

CPColin posted:

Wait, are you telling me that at your level crossings, the cars have priority over the trains? :psyduck:

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I'm pretty confident that LA will be destroyed in an earthquake/dustbowl/alien invasion before we get a good public transportation system working.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Leperflesh posted:

Underground or raised rail is orders of magnitude more expensive than at-grade. The last time they extended BART in the SF Bay Area, I think the "rule of thumb" was a billion dollars a mile.

Expanding the 405 also runs roughly the same amount.

Having said that, SF has an enormously complex underground that probably makes things a bit more expensive. LA is a much younger more spread out city.

TACD posted:

Wait, are you telling me that at your level crossings, the cars have priority over the trains? :psyduck:

Somewhat, but the entire road system of LA runs at capacity at the same times that the trains run at capacity and stopping a major intersection for multiple trains can cause huge huge snarls.

Sometimes the trains wait at crossings, but not always.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LA used to have more passenger rail, but its backyards now.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
#ThanksJudgeDoom

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Trabisnikof posted:

LA used to have more passenger rail, but its backyards now.

You would take street car from Downtown to San Bernardino.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Something Else posted:

I'm pretty confident that LA will be destroyed in an earthquake/dustbowl/alien invasion before we get a good public transportation system working.

Let's hope so.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Something Else posted:

On the bright you will get rescued by Aaron Eckhart

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Who else is excited for another year of extreme drought? Sierra snowpack is barely a quarter of normal. The only bright spot is that some of the reservoirs in the state are siting pretty high. Pyramid Lake in particular is sitting high (because it's not really used for residential consumption, but it'll do in a pinch).

In other California news, there was a post-mortem on the 2014 gubernatorial race at Berkeley this week with staffers from both campaigns. They haven't posted videos yet, but both the LA Times and the Sacramento Bee have mentioned how candid the staffers were, including talking about Kashkari's spending habits:

quote:

Republican Neel Kashkari spent more than $7 million on his unsuccessful campaign last year to unseat Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown, who spent less than $6 million on his run for reelection, financial reports show.

As for Kashkari, McLear said: “Right now he’s looking for a job, because he doesn’t have any money left.”

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Mayor Dave posted:

Who else is excited for another year of extreme drought? Sierra snowpack is barely a quarter of normal. The only bright spot is that some of the reservoirs in the state are siting pretty high. Pyramid Lake in particular is sitting high (because it's not really used for residential consumption, but it'll do in a pinch).

In other California news, there was a post-mortem on the 2014 gubernatorial race at Berkeley this week with staffers from both campaigns. They haven't posted videos yet, but both the LA Times and the Sacramento Bee have mentioned how candid the staffers were, including talking about Kashkari's spending habits:

Hahahaha, I still remember when he did that homeless stunt in Fresno for a week during the summer before going back to his million-dollar home.

On the other hand, I was hopeful when the bay area got pounded by that freak storm two months ago. Guess we're not getting another one for a good while, looking at the forecast :smithicide:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mayor Dave posted:

The good news is that parts of Northern California may get up to a foot of rain this weekend. The bad news is that it's supposed to stay warm enough that the snow levels will be 8,000 to 10,000 feet, resulting in no change to snowpack levels.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The good news is that parts of Northern California may get up to a foot of rain this weekend. The bad news is that it's supposed to stay warm enough that the snow levels will be 8,000 to 10,000 feet, resulting in no change to snowpack levels.

Welcome to the new normal everyone.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Appropriate post/user name combo.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Noggin Monkey posted:

Appropriate post/user name combo.

Keep Hetch Hetchy Blue!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ComradeCosmobot posted:

:rolldice: Well poo poo.

Still looking forward to the couple inches I'm supposed to get this weekend, though.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

New? California has a long and storied history of severe drought and severe storm events long before anyone started recording this poo poo.

A good book on the climate of California is The West Without Water by Ingram and Malamud-Roam. It's a fairly new book but I like it because it has quite a bit of information relevant to climate change specific to California. The region has pretty much always had water problems. But yeah water conservation is definitely crucial due to ever-increasing population demands.

e: I love the username/post combo

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 2, 2015

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Sydin posted:

Still looking forward to the couple inches I'm supposed to get this weekend, though.

:quagmire:

Any precipitation is good precipitation, at this point.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

old dog child posted:

New? California has a long and storied history of severe drought and severe storm events long before anyone started recording this poo poo.

A good book on the climate of California is The West Without Water by Ingram and Malamud-Roam. It's a fairly new book but I like it because it has quite a bit of information relevant to climate change specific to California. The region has pretty much always had water problems. But yeah water conservation is definitely crucial due to ever-increasing population demands.

That last sentence is the key. Yes, California has always had ups and downs, but those ups and downs have been getting more and more extreme in relation to population levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

old dog child posted:

e: I love the username/post combo

It's very possible we're just entering the next dry period of California's long climate cycle. Hell, California has been - on average - wetter than usual since the 17th century.