Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I just want to know what "terroris" are and why we're waging war against them.

e: vvv Ahaha, that's a new one to me. vvv

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Duckbag posted:

Read the loving interview in the post you just quoted. Jesus Christ.

e: Here's the specific quote:

Snowden willingly took a job working for a surveillance program violating human rights on a global scale (it's not like anybody in the field was all that surprised about his and Manning's leaks after all, there have been Echelon days for years) so he probably still isn't fit to be an example of personal integrity. :shrug:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Death Ray posted:

I… am loving confused, and not simply "Muir" confused. Is she calling Zed "something"? This is practically word salad! And why is the font different?

Could be a placeholder or two, Muir has a habit of "fixing" his comics multiple times after he puts them out

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Terrorists murdered French cartoonists and we're blaming Obama. Okay.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Randler posted:

Snowden willingly took a job working for a surveillance program violating human rights on a global scale (it's not like anybody in the field was all that surprised about his and Manning's leaks after all, there have been Echelon days for years) so he probably still isn't fit to be an example of personal integrity. :shrug:

That is some straight up catch-22 bullshit right there. Tell me how the gently caress just being in a position to witness the crimes he came forward about make him complicit in the crimes themselves.

In an unrelated note, this is a rhetorical question, why are people so mad at Obama for not making an appearance in France when it's a de facto job responsibility of the vice president to be at these sorts of events on the president's behalf. My first instinct was to check to see if Biden attended and sadly he did not. I wonder if he was absent for the stated reason, or he's just taking a break from the public eye after creeping on all those little girls at the swearing in of the new congress.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

rodbeard posted:

That is some straight up catch-22 bullshit right there. Tell me how the gently caress just being in a position to witness the crimes he came forward about make him complicit in the crimes themselves.

In an unrelated note, this is a rhetorical question, why are people so mad at Obama for not making an appearance in France when it's a de facto job responsibility of the vice president to be at these sorts of events on the president's behalf. My first instinct was to check to see if Biden attended and sadly he did not. I wonder if he was absent for the stated reason, or he's just taking a break from the public eye after creeping on all those little girls at the swearing in of the new congress.

Who in the what now?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

rodbeard posted:

Willfully working in a logistical support capacity for a criminal organization makes you complicit in that organization's actions.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

bunnyofdoom posted:

Who in the what now?

Edit: I'm a little surprised that cartoonists haven't made more hay of Biden antics at the swearing in but I guess other world events have taken precedence and this poo poo happens every year anyway

beepsandboops fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 13, 2015

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

One day when someone finds the mountain of dead children in Joe Biden's basement we're going to look back on this moment and go "We really shoulda seen this coming" :stonklol:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Is Rall jealous of the fact that his cartoons haven't inspired anyone to try to kill him?

Rall can't even accomplish what Barry does so easily without even trying, no.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Randler posted:

Willfully working in a logistical support capacity for a criminal organization makes you complicit in that organization's actions.

Uh, what? He came forward and put himself at personal risk to expose the organization's criminal actions, at that point saying he's still complicit in them is kind of disingenuous.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

colonel_korn posted:

"An inveterate liar against truth" :ughh:
I think you mean invertebrate :barry:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

D.N. Nation posted:

[Literally anything bad happened] and we're blaming Obama. Okay.

Fixed that for accuracy.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You can bet that if he had gone over, all these cartoons would just be about how much of an attention-seeker he is, or how he just went over there to golf.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 13, 2015

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

You can bet that if he had gone over, all these cartoons would just be how much of an attention-seeker he is, or how he just went over there to golf.

There are literally cartoons about how Obama is on the side of the people gunning down journalists. I'm surprised one of the McCoys hasn't published a cartoon of Obama shooting cartoonists himself while saying "Just making sure there are no survivors." It's ridiculous how much they hate him.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Saw this on Facebook:

This is some weird Latuff fanart

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

With everyone supporting the French now, can I stop calling them 'Freedom Fries'?

Forgive me if I missed someone making this joke. I probably have.

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

Death Ray posted:

I drew this after reading Arthur Chu's Charlie Hebdo-deflating column on the Daily Beast. I don't disagree with all his points, but his Internet triumpahlism stuck in my eye. And hey, sometimes a guy just has to draw an overweening cartoon.

In the spirit of Mr. Chu's essay, I'd like to offer my unsolicited opinion that while the murders at the delicatessen were unfortunate, I don't, myself, care much for delicatessens.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Could be a placeholder or two, Muir has a habit of "fixing" his comics multiple times after he puts them out

The first time I saw it, I literally just assumed it was some lovely edit and passed it by. After the continuing comments, I went to the site to confirm that it was actually up there, and immediately thought "has he been hacked or something?" Then this:

So, uh, I guess the shittier than usual poo poo is on purpose. Most of the comments are "I hate the font" but here's something to brighten up everyone's day (by day):

quote:

Crusades 2.0 please and thanks

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 13, 2015

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Plague of Hats posted:

So, uh, I guess the shittier than usual poo poo is on purpose. Most of the comments are "I hate the font" but here's something to brighten up everyone's day (by day):
You know, normally when people say "I'm just saying what everyone's thinking!" it's a cover for being terrible, but in this case? That guy is literally saying what so many people are thinking. Everyone who talks about "ignoring" the problem of terrorism and "they can't all be lone wolves, we have to see the real problem"? They are all thinking this. They are all asking for Crusades 2: Radioactive Glass Desert Boogaloo.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Always cool to see Marianne show up.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DarklyDreaming posted:

One day when someone finds the mountain of dead children in Joe Biden's basement we're going to look back on this moment and go "We really shoulda seen this coming" :stonklol:
Well I mean he is Catholic :v:

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Taciturn Tactician posted:

You know, normally when people say "I'm just saying what everyone's thinking!" it's a cover for being terrible, but in this case? That guy is literally saying what so many people are thinking. Everyone who talks about "ignoring" the problem of terrorism and "they can't all be lone wolves, we have to see the real problem"? They are all thinking this. They are all asking for Crusades 2: Radioactive Glass Desert Boogaloo.

CounterPunch called the War on Terror the 10th crusade in 2002 and they were 100% right

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Political Whores posted:

CounterPunch called the War on Terror the 10th crusade in 2002 and they were 100% right

It was kind of reductionist in 2002 and still is reductionist today. Some political figureheads on the far right would love it, but it's nowhere near that.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

All these pages of discussion on Charlie have been based on lies. The truth is obvious as usual.

Includes a literal flag labeled "false flag". Maybe he heard about our awards.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Of the pages upon pages of boring Hebdo cartoons I had to scroll through, I have only enjoyed that Dees and Ted Rall's initial hissyfit. I can't help but feel it really overshadowed what could have been a mountain of lovely Chris Christie cartoons and furious George Zimmerman backpedaling. Way to go, terrorists :rolleyes:

I do enjoy conservative cartoonists pretending they didn't spend the last decade+ making GBS threads all over France, though!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

CampingCarl posted:

All these pages of discussion on Charlie have been based on lies. The truth is obvious as usual.

Includes a literal flag labeled "false flag". Maybe he heard about our awards.
Actually, if you're a crazy anti-Zionist, this is the exact sort of thing that would seem amazingly rational to you. Why would a bunch of crazy jihadists attack some comic-makers of all people?? Now, if Mossad did it, it incites violence against Muslims, that furthers their goals!!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

JT Jag posted:

Actually, if you're a crazy anti-Zionist, this is the exact sort of thing that would seem amazingly rational to you. Why would a bunch of crazy jihadists attack some comic-makers of all people?? Now, if Mossad did it, it incites violence against Muslims, that furthers their goals!!

Where was that graphic that stated that more than half those polled in Gaza/Saudi Arabia believed that 9/11 was committed by Zion?

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Another Ramirez that AGCs itself.

If only he'd waited a few hours to get his digs in, Mr. Putzerprize could have made this about Obama's absence at the Paris rally. I'm sure he's kicking himself. Hard, I hope.

Amended: It's really awful for Ramirez to appropriate Charlie Hebdo like this, putting his poo poo wormbama caricature on the cover of a magazine that could manage simple, elegant caricature.

bitey fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 13, 2015

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

In retrospect I should have seen this coming.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.

fool_of_sound posted:

In retrospect I should have seen this coming.

This is *actually* being said in France. Guess you can't have a tragedy without truthers!

Oh also, and the bloggo, journo, whistleblo thing? Journo isn't uncommon slang for a journalist in France, Bloggo wouldn't be common slang, but if you making this joke colloquially everyone would understand, and use that word for blogger at least in he short term. Whistleblo, no one would get though.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

JT Jag posted:

Chances are that the people who committed the murders were hoping for a country-wide crackdown on Muslims in order to increase the ranks of Islamist extremists in France. But lets just place the blame on the same people you blame everything else that is bad on.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Internet Webguy posted:

Chances are that the people who committed the murders were hoping for a country-wide crackdown on Muslims in order to increase the ranks of Islamist extremists in France. But lets just place the blame on the same people you blame everything else that is bad on.
Well I know that. But crazy people don't.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Some cartoonists are self-aware, at least.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

JT Jag posted:

Well I know that. But crazy people don't.

Yeah, I meant "you" as in Dees, just to put a finer point on your post.

Mister Beeg posted:

Some cartoonists are self-aware, at least.

Some people in Saudi Arabia have put out a jihad on anyone who builds snowmen, so this is unintentionally topical.

Fuckt Tupp fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 13, 2015

bitey
Jul 13, 2003

Tell the truth and run.

Internet Webguy posted:

Some people in Saudi Arabia have put out a jihad on anyone who builds snowmen, so this is unintentionally topical.

So a snowman with a Turban and a Koran is probably right out.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Internet Webguy posted:

Yeah, I meant "you" as in Dees, just to put a finer point on your post.

Snow in Saudi Arabia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kurtofan posted:

Snow in Saudi Arabia?
One of my Saudi students said it's snowing in the north there today, yeah.

• Locked thread