Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The fact that space solar power can be used as a giant death ray is the only reason I can imagine it having any chance of being built by the United States.

It's not even 'can be used as' because space based solar power is literally just firing a giant death ray at the Earth and then catching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

OwlFancier posted:

Well, assuming you have the money and resources to make and dispose of that many batteries, possibly. The hydrogen method has the advantage of being rather easier to do en-mass, as it requires fairly unspecified storage methods, or at least, not especially more specialized than petroleum.

You'd be surprised. Hydrogen is incredibly tiny, which means that containing it is actually fairly difficult to do, much less containing it at pressure. It's not the most difficult thing in the world to do, as people do manufacture and sell tanks of hydrogen, but containers that store gas at the pressures needed to store enough fuel to power a car are going to be bulky and extremely heavy out of necessity. It's a nontrivial factor in the design of a car since your fuel tank needs to be much larger, much heavier, and ultimately much more secure, since any small puncture could cause the whole container to rupture if the gas is at a high enough pressure or if the container is too weak (to say nothing of the fact that hydrogen gas is a gas, which means that it's much more flammable should the contents escape.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

You'd be surprised. Hydrogen is incredibly tiny, which means that containing it is actually fairly difficult to do, much less containing it at pressure. It's not the most difficult thing in the world to do, as people do manufacture and sell tanks of hydrogen, but containers that store gas at the pressures needed to store enough fuel to power a car are going to be bulky and extremely heavy out of necessity. It's a nontrivial factor in the design of a car since your fuel tank needs to be much larger, much heavier, and ultimately much more secure, since any small puncture could cause the whole container to rupture if the gas is at a high enough pressure or if the container is too weak (to say nothing of the fact that hydrogen gas is a gas, which means that it's much more flammable should the contents escape.

I know it tends to leak, but we do have some experience of doing it for H2/O2 rocket fuel.

You also don't have especially high standards to contend with if we're talking heavy/low mileage as far as your competition goes, electric cars are poo poo at both.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Well, assuming you have the money and resources to make and dispose of that many batteries, possibly. The hydrogen method has the advantage of being rather easier to do en-mass, as it requires fairly unspecified storage methods, or at least, not especially more specialized than petroleum.

Fuel cells are not more easily produced than batteries, and at the speed batteries are improving that's clearly the future of mass production. Unless you're talking about hydrogen combustion engines but.. why? Those things are less energy efficient than batteries and carries all the dangers of transporting hydrogen.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Actually battery tech is steadily getting better and better. Unless someone comes up with a fairly major breakthrough in storing hydrogen at high density battery tech will probably be just as good in a decade at most.

Hydrogen is probably a superior source of fuel for spaceships though given how easy it is to acquire.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

OwlFancier posted:

I know it tends to leak, but we do have some experience of doing it for H2/O2 rocket fuel.

You also don't have especially high standards to contend with if we're talking heavy/low mileage as far as your competition goes, electric cars are poo poo at both.

My point is that it's not as simple as shoving hydrogen into a modern gasoline fuel tank. Storing hydrogen for long periods of time in canisters isn't nearly as easy as storing a liquid. It's certainly not impossible, as you mention, but doing so is costly in terms of both volume and mass, which means that cars have to be redesigned around a very bulky fuel tank that has additional safety hazards regarding any tank that holds compressed gasses.

Ultimately, the issue with hydrogen and electric cars is that our electricity grid isn't clean yet. If electricity were clean, then switching over to hydrogen and electric would be a huge advantage, but at the moment that just not the case. It's worth investigating and it's worth having engines and fuel cells ready to go once our grid gets cleaner, but the efficiency isn't there yet, and we're better off with gasoline for now.

I'd say it's one of those things where it's worthwhile for companies like GM to partner with colleges or to invest a very small portion of their R&D budget into creating and refining engines that run off of hydrogen or more efficient methods of storing electricity, but it's not going to be the meat of their R&D budget at the moment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am admittedly more concerned about the logistical problems of having a bazillion tonnes of waste batteries to safely dispose of while a hydrogen combustion engine would seem like a more easily disposed of thing, suboptimal as it may be, but perhaps we can also figure out what to do with the batteries, or maybe we'll be using vanadium ion reflux cells or something.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Call Me Charlie posted:

David Cross actually did a funny bit on it.

http://youtu.be/_nH0qIPyn2Q?t=7m22s

I've listened to this bit for as long as it's been around and I've always disliked it because it ignores the fact that segregated cemeteries existed because of the people who would be visiting them, not the people who were interred there. It's still awful and stupid but it's not stupid in some incomprehensible way which is how David Cross portrays it.

e: my first post in this thread, from 2009, is a quote from that set by David Cross

e2: a direct quote, honestly, from the track on the comedy album which you quoted at me, and I quoted it 5.5 years ago

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 13, 2015

Kat R. Waulin
Jul 30, 2012
Grimey Drawer
From a coworker...

quote:

Sitting at my desk for lunch I read a disturbing article. It seems Obama and some of his butt buddies in DC want to disband the National Guard, military reserve forces and eventually all four branches of service. He actually referred to the Marine Corps as the Marine Corpse. They say cross fitters are in better physical condition than most our military personnel. So, they decided it would save money to conscript cross fitters and possibly deploy them in combat. A body builder does not a soldier make. One official actually said "...we just need to train them to shoot." If you're into CrossFit training you may want to get out now, before they know who you are. The English used to have press gangs who went out and conscripted men into naval service by basically Shanghaiing them after they'd get drunk at a pub. Once they sobered up at sea they didn't have much to say about it. You got a wife? Well that's just too bad, you're in Her majesty's navy now, so hop to it!

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Ask her/him what it's like to be borderline insane?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

quote:

hey say cross fitters are in better physical condition than most our military personnel. So, they decided it would save money to conscript cross fitters and possibly deploy them in combat. A body builder does not a soldier make. One official actually said "...we just need to train them to shoot." If you're into CrossFit training you may want to get out now, before they know who you are. The English used to have press gangs who went out and conscripted men into naval service by basically Shanghaiing them after they'd get drunk at a pub. Once they sobered up at sea they didn't have much to say about it. You got a wife? Well that's just too bad, you're in Her majesty's navy now, so hop to it!

hot, post more

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Why would we want an entire military of paleo dieting, butter chugging, rhabdomyolysis having Cross Fitters? Is this trying to play into their cult? :psyduck:

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Neruz posted:

Actually battery tech is steadily getting better and better. Unless someone comes up with a fairly major breakthrough in storing hydrogen at high density battery tech will probably be just as good in a decade at most.

Hydrogen is probably a superior source of fuel for spaceships though given how easy it is to acquire.

I'd argue batteries already are better. Batteries don't need new infrastructure just to function, hydrogen would. The cost of that infrastructure, both in dollars and energy, is not nothing.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cpt.Americant posted:

I'd argue batteries already are better. Batteries don't need new infrastructure just to function, hydrogen would. The cost of that infrastructure, both in dollars and energy, is not nothing.

I was speaking purely from an energy density standpoint. From an ease of use standpoint yeah batteries are superior.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KiteAuraan posted:

Why would we want an entire military of paleo dieting, butter chugging, rhabdomyolysis having Cross Fitters? Is this trying to play into their cult? :psyduck:

Obama's insidious plan finally revealed! Convert all Armed Forces exercises to Cross Fit. Within 3 months all of our soldiers will have horribly injured themselves, leaving the country wide open for a Caliphate invasion.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
The armed forces are basically a cult, CrossFit is basically a cult. Therefore, I claim that the armed forces are already CrossFit. :tinfoil:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I haven't seen/heard someone use the phrase 'butt buddies' since I was in high school with a bunch of homophobes.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I feel like anyone, if they just took a second to step back and be like "could this even remotely, possibly, be the tiniest bit true" they would see how ridiculous that whole paragraph is because there is zero chance of that being real. Then I think of the two crazy people I keep around on my facebook and how eager they are to believe anything negative about Obama. Especially the lady who went super "SUPPORT ARE TROOPS WHY DOES HUSSEIN OBAMA HATE OUR MILITARY!!!!" after her son (who is actually a really great, well adjusted guy) joined the army.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 13, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i think that person is just really fixated on being forcefully abducted and made to spend endless months at sea under the hot sun with a bunch of extremely fit dudes

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The fact the majority of Military officers (outside of the navy) come from ROTC battalions hosted at regular colleges has helped speed up the liberalization of the military quite a bit, and it pisses off veterans and other old guard fucks to no end the military of the future isn't a all white all male force for commie killing. Not to mention the fact most veterans these days only join groups with entry requirements like Veterans of Foreign Wars and Disabled Veterans Association (I may be wrong on the name) so older groups like the American Legion, which are by far more conservative than the aforementioned groups are dying off.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

totalnewbie posted:

Guaranteed, if an oil company comes across an engineer e that runs on water and works well, they liquidate their assets and immediately start making engines.

This was a plot on the Xfiles spin-off 'Lone Gunman' - they think they are protecting the designs of a water-powered engine from being destroyed by Big Oil, but the company actually wants to use it because petroleum demand would go up (tar for paving roads, synthesizing tire rubber, etc)

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Satsuki Kiryuin posted:

The fact the majority of Military officers (outside of the navy) come from ROTC battalions hosted at regular colleges has helped speed up the liberalization of the military quite a bit, and it pisses off veterans and other old guard fucks to no end the military of the future isn't a all white all male force for commie killing. Not to mention the fact most veterans these days only join groups with entry requirements like Veterans of Foreign Wars and Disabled Veterans Association (I may be wrong on the name) so older groups like the American Legion, which are by far more conservative than the aforementioned groups are dying off.

I know a bunch of younger people who have joined the American Legion after getting out of the service. They all have a few things in common - they were all involved in some sort of office or clerical work, they never actually deployed overseas (not even to safe places like Japan), and they're all way more chest-thumping motivated 'HIGH-SPEED LOW DRAG HOO-AH!' than any of the actual combat veterans I know, who are mostly pretty low-key about it. Conversely, none of the combat veterans I've met want poo poo to do with the Legion.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Mister Bates posted:

I know a bunch of younger people who have joined the American Legion after getting out of the service. They all have a few things in common - they were all involved in some sort of office or clerical work, they never actually deployed overseas (not even to safe places like Japan), and they're all way more chest-thumping motivated 'HIGH-SPEED LOW DRAG HOO-AH!' than any of the actual combat veterans I know, who are mostly pretty low-key about it. Conversely, none of the combat veterans I've met want poo poo to do with the Legion.

Talking to the vets I know this seems to be pretty universal.
http://terminallance.com/2010/01/26/terminal-lance-7-good-reasons-to-not-go-to-the-gym/

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Reminder that the Muslim woman in that video posted on LF about how she "confronted David Horowitz" and got made fun of mercilessly.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Bates posted:

Overall enrollment for the Legion is way down because soldiers tend to go on far more combat tours than they used to, in Nam you were lucky to get maybe 1 tour in a actual hosed up place. In Iraq/Stan you could get multiple hosed up tours, resulting in shitloads of added stress on soldiers bodies and psyche. Veterans groups of the future will be more akin to Unions/lobbying groups than poo poo like the Legion which just had places to get drunk and shittalk about how you totally stood up to that rear end in a top hat sgt that one time.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mister Bates posted:

My brother saw some serious poo poo in Iraq. Now a days he just wants to gently caress off, work, and raise his kid. No military hoohaaing at all.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I sat in an air-conditioned bunker in Korea and played with radios. I don't do any military hoohaaing because I don't want to look like an rear end in a top hat next to guys like your brother.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
My father some some serious poo poo in Nam, and you would never guess he is a veteran. Huge democrat and massive leftist, also drives mustangs while wearing overalls and sweaters.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

DemeaninDemon posted:

My brother saw some serious poo poo in Iraq. Now a days he just wants to gently caress off, work, and raise his kid. No military hoohaaing at all.

Not really surprising, most people involved in modern warfare on the ground typically come to the conclusion that it's not very fun.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
He said the worst was security duty at a hospital where they treated civilians. The term 'ice cream scooper' was used.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kind of a general topic, but could it be said that in some way that "Joe/Jill Tumblr user" is in some ways the left wing answer to this thread?

This is not to say that they're wrong on the issues they stand upon (they're not), but it seems like they're very keen on eating their own in quite some ways.

Case in point, Patton Oswalt made this tweet

Patton Oswalt @pattonoswalt · Jan 12
My fellow progressives and liberals: In 2015, how 'bout way less outrage & "I can't even" and WAY more laughing & counter-punching?

The reaction was well...negative. A lot of angry comments were made at his direction and people were calling him a "WHITE CIS MALE" among other things.

For the record? I agree with Patton. It feels like satire and comedy seem to be the best way to take down a lot of the typical targets of oppression and privilege in my opinion. David Cross and Patton Oswalt's comedy were far more influential in terms of leading me to be on the left than anything that an Angry Tumblr user holding a sign has ever done.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Yeah I don't think anyone is particularly likely to dispute that the Tumblr crowd aren't all that helpful.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Different folks react in different ways, there's no single answer. Some folks respond to comedy, some to earnestness.

"Tumblr crowd" is wildly unhelpful though, because that alone is a vague term that means a lot of different things based on your point of view.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

"Joe/Jill Tumblr user"

I think the preferred unisex name is "Jaden"

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

FuzzySkinner posted:

Kind of a general topic, but could it be said that in some way that "Joe/Jill Tumblr user" is in some ways the left wing answer to this thread?

This is not to say that they're wrong on the issues they stand upon (they're not), but it seems like they're very keen on eating their own in quite some ways.
Well social media is a pretty new thing so maybe it's just a sort of over-correction. Bunch of people realized they can sit around in a safe little echo chamber feeling self-rightious and really, really good about themselves. Of course that's not constructive and fairly obnoxious in the long run so I'd expect people to get tired of it and start calling it out as they catch on.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

For the record? I agree with Patton. It feels like satire and comedy seem to be the best way to take down a lot of the typical targets of oppression and privilege in my opinion. David Cross and Patton Oswalt's comedy were far more influential in terms of leading me to be on the left than anything that an Angry Tumblr user holding a sign has ever done.

It can backfire. Chris Rock's jokes about how there are blacks and there are *adjusts American flag lapel pin* urban youths is a good example of how satire isn't too great of a method of attacking social injustice. Now everyone who speaks with more of an accent than Lester Holt is an urban youth because it is totally justified; I mean a black guy said it was fine to call people that!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
People have new and fancy ways to disguise their prejudices, now that the internet has given them an expanded vocabulary.

"I'm totally a good person I just can't stand those people who point out when I'm being poo poo/PC Policemen/Feminazis/Tumblrites/SJWs"

People find ways to marginalize those they disagree with. Freepers are actually pretty rare, and so whatever caricature of the left is hot in Gamergate this week, it's just a way to otherize those you disagree with.

At least 75% of the time I read "comedian has come under attack by crazy SJW's" the people complaining have a valid point but people don't like jokes that have a basis in reality to be treated like a serious opinion, even if they are.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Zeitgueist posted:

"Tumblr crowd" is wildly unhelpful though, because that alone is a vague term that means a lot of different things based on your point of view.

When someone says "Tumblr Crowd" it's obvious who they're really talking about.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Oh deer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

It can backfire. Chris Rock's jokes about how there are blacks and there are *adjusts American flag lapel pin* urban youths is a good example of how satire isn't too great of a method of attacking social injustice. Now everyone who speaks with more of an accent than Lester Holt is an urban youth because it is totally justified; I mean a black guy said it was fine to call people that!

Well, you know, plus the fact that they discard all other viewpoints from people of a color but for some reason, the one that agrees with their terrible opinion is the one guy that gets it. A black guy said it, and agrees with me, obviously my opinion is the correct one!