Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Cliff Racer posted:

I am thrilled at the prospect of you getting run out of D&D again like you did last time after making a string of really obvious fake posts about how you were excited about Herman Cain and didn't understand why people didn't take his candidacy seriously.
Those weren't fake posts. I was hacked by a genuine Cain supporter. They guessed my password. I should have adhered to the complexity guidelines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Joementum posted:

The guy who made that went on to work for Rick Perry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EL5Atp_vF0

And Mitt Romney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-sVpts43jI

And Mitch McConnell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB41EISrpHQ

Something tells me we haven't seen the last of Lucas Baiano's work.

Definitely not, the dude is only 26 years old.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

shadow puppet of a posted:

Wasn't there a theory going around that Mitt would clean up his lone 2011 tax return and then file to amend the poo poo out of it after he lost? Can he re-amend that return now that he has decided to run again or will he delightfully refuse to release it and trot out a solitary, sparkling 2015 return instead?

Yeah, he initially claimed that he paid "about 15%" in taxes, but the actual amount was closer to 10%. So his 2011 tax return showed 14% or so by not claiming a lot of charitable deductions and other deductions that he was probably eligible for, so the theory was that he would amend it after he lost. Also, the prevailing theory is that the real skeletons in the closet were from the financial crisis (2007-2010) so he probably doesn't need to conceal the later tax years.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Fried Chicken posted:

how is the thread title not "Mitt Happens"?

"Mitt Keeps Happening"

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Those weren't fake posts. I was hacked by a genuine Cain supporter. They guessed my password. I should have adhered to the complexity guidelines.

"999" was not a good password.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Romney would like everyone to know that he still thinks Paul Ryan is great.

Also, Mitt has been invited to his weekend's joint Congressional Republican retreat for... reasons? He'll be attending. Rand Paul is skipping it to travel to New Hampshire, Arizona, and Nevada.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Uhm, so does all this mean the SOTU responses will be more or less absolutely batshit insane?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Joementum posted:

Please don't slander Taggart. That was Josh.

Joe, I say this not to be pedantic but we are going to have to get our Sons of Mittarchy sorted out now rather than have it come back to haunt us later. Taggart was the wishful puncher. Josh is the creepstare Romney.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/10/after-the-debate-tagg-romney-apologized-to-the-president/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ufarn posted:

Uhm, so does all this mean the SOTU responses will be more or less absolutely batshit insane?
I think that means there will be 14 "unofficial" responses to the next two SOTUs.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joe, I say this not to be pedantic but we are going to have to get our Sons of Mittarchy sorted out now rather than have it come back to haunt us later. Taggart was the wishful puncher. Josh is the creepstare Romney.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/10/after-the-debate-tagg-romney-apologized-to-the-president/

I apologize, or as Craig would say, "¡Lo siento!"

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

FMguru posted:

I think that means there will be 14 "unofficial" responses to the next two SOTUs.

Hopefully they will all be available in simulcast.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Hopefully they will all be available in simulcast.

And now for the opposition view, we present the metaphysical concept of hatred, mouth unhinged, spitting its black rage and poison into the world's seas, with Wolf Blitzer for his take on it to follow.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

uncurable mlady posted:

Wake me up when #RomneyDeathRally2 is trending

Now that Romney wants to fight poverty, what the odds of a video appearing showing him calling the 53% a bunch of worthless scumbags?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"A source close to the Romney campaign reports that Tagg’s younger brother Josh, 37, notes that he has, in fact, taken punches from Tagg – and that the president has nothing to worry about."

How did that sentence come about. Was it a strategic leak by the Romney campaign? An off-the-record comment from a press secretary? Did Josh call up a journalist and say "my brother's a pansy. please don't use my name"?

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

I hope the Unskewed Polls guy comes back too, that was one of my favourite late entries to 2012's election :allears:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rocks posted:

I hope the Unskewed Polls guy comes back too, that was one of my favourite late entries to 2012's election :allears:

I love how long it lasted, like literally up to the election people, including Rove who hilariously still has a job after that poo poo, were saying "NO NO ROMNEY WILL WIN, THE POLLS HAVE BEEN SKEWED!" as districts turned blue in front of them.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Rocks posted:

Remember when he said Nate Silver was too 'effeminate' for his numbers to be real :allears:

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

The Romney campaign has come out the gate swinging in the Mittiest (i.e. completely ignorant to irony) fashion possible.

Per Robert Costa's twitter, Rep. Jason Chaffetz called WaPo today with choice quotes like "I don’t know how excited anybody could be with Jeb Bush’s candidacy" and "I don’t like the idea of another Bush-Clinton race. Been there, done that... Three different Bushes aren’t... a fresh face."

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

You forgot the best quote: “Are they going to bring up the dog atop his car? Is that it? Is that all they got?”

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

It actually is kind of genius in a way for Mitt. He's already been about as vetted as you're going to get, so what else new can someone say about him?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

A nice blast from the past about the Romney/Huckabee rivalry in 2008.

quote:

Back then, Ed Rollins, Huckabee's national campaign chairman, said this about some of the negative campaign dynamics in the lead-up to Iowa: "What I have to do is make sure that my anger with a guy like Romney, whose teeth I want to knock out, doesn't get in the way of my thought process."

"That was my commentary with a couple of drinks in me," Rollins said when reached by phone. "It got very nasty, and they didn't like each other."

Romney poured millions into the race, releasing a flurry of ads that framed Huckabee as soft on crime. In one rather silly Web ad, the Romney team had actor Chuck Norris deliver a roundhouse kick to Huckabee, the guy whom he had endorsed and cut an ad for.

On Romney's conservative credentials: "Romney, here's a guy who didn't hit puberty in the conservative ranks until 60 years old."
On Romney's claim that he was a life-long hunter, even though he had never taken out a license: "It would be like me saying I've been a lifelong golfer because I played putt-putt when I was 9 years old and I rode in a golf cart a couple of times."
On Romney's faith: "Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?"
On Romney's business record and regular guy credentials: "People are looking for a presidential candidate who reminds them of the guy they work with rather than the guy who laid them off.”

And what about that time that Romney went to a KFC and took the chicken off the skin before eating it? You're wondering what the point is of going to KFC if you aren't going to eat the skin? Huckabee had similar thoughts:

"I can tell you this," he said at a news conference, according to a CNN report: "Any Southerner knows if you don’t eat the skin, don’t bother calling it fried chicken."

"So that's good," Huckabee continued. "I'm glad that he did that, because that means I'm going to win Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma ... all these great Southern states that understand the best part of fried chicken is the skin, if you're going to eat it that way."

Huckabee ended up winning eight states — including many of the Southern ones mentioned above — to Romney's 11, in what became essentially a tie for second place. If he runs this time, he brings similar expectations and the usual evangelical base and rhetorical gifts.

"Huckabee can't sneak up on anyone this go-round. He begins in a far better position," Rollins said. "He had a million people watching every weekend (on his Fox News show). And he will be one of the best speakers on the trail. If Huckabee had run two years ago, it would have been one on one, but this time it’s going to be a crowded field."

And what about that tension from 2008?

"Mike isn't a hater, and I don’t think Romney is either," Rollins said. "It was the heat of the battle. The nastiness was in Iowa last time because Romney had put so much into it. Iowa won't be as important, and they both would have their own front-runner status looking at the long game."

Huckabee, of course, wasn't the only candidate who jousted with Romney in 2008 (Romney wasn't very popular with his fellow candidates back then). And eventually, he helped him fend off Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum while stopping short of an outright endorsement. At the Tampa convention, he praised Romney, recalling their competition.

"Four years ago, Mitt Romney and I were opponents. We still are, but we're not opposing each other," Huckabee said. "No, we are mutual opponents of the miserably failed experiments that have put this country in a downward spiral."

Soon, they could be opposing each other again. We'll see whether their relationship looks more like 2008 or 2012.

Click the link to see the Chuck Norris ad.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I can just see him taking the skin off KFC with a napkin-wrapped hand and then digging in with a big poo poo-eating grin about how its "so mm-mm good". Amazing.

Mitt and food is the greatest combination. It lays the man bare.

I'd like to remind you all of how guiltlessly his family described how Mitt has to go first serving himself at all family meals and finishes eating before his kids, let alone any grandkids, even get a turn at the buffet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_3_N7Igk7o&t=147s

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 13, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I love how long it lasted, like literally up to the election people, including Rove who hilariously still has a job after that poo poo, were saying "NO NO ROMNEY WILL WIN, THE POLLS HAVE BEEN SKEWED!" as districts turned blue in front of them.

Unskewed Polls was the greatest thing ever I loved it. :) I thought it was a piss take like a long running Onion feature or something for like a month straight. Weren't they also the group that, shortly after the 47% video came out, claimed repeatedly to have some super scandalous video of Obama they were saving that was going to destroy his chances of winning the election and then just sort of shuffled their feet nervously and wandered off when people kept asking to see it? I think they did actually have a video but it was of Obama in a public place talking about how he wants to create jobs or some other campaign talk so innocuous that people didn't even realize it was supposed to be a thing.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Real talk: does Mitt Romney actually stand a chance in the second go? Is there any polling putting him up against Hillary?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Foyes36 posted:

Real talk: does Mitt Romney actually stand a chance in the second go? Is there any polling putting him up against Hillary?

I remember the DMR poll in Iowa last October off the top of my head.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Valentin posted:

"I don’t like the idea of another Bush-Clinton race. Been there, done that... Three different Bushes aren’t... a fresh face."
How can someone say this without a hint of irony while being a Romney supporter

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

It lays the man bare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDwwAaVmnf4

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

I remember the DMR poll in Iowa last October off the top of my head.

I think it's interesting Clinton's highest support is against Bush. It's been said here that people don't turn out to vote against someone else, but it could very well be true with 1/50 voters. I wonder if those numbers will hold up this spring, when the idea that he's really running has had time to fester.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

So Romney held his steady 25-30% throughout the 2012 nomination process while the other flavors of the week came and went, and Jeb would basically be pulling from the same demographic as Romney. Could both of them running mean neither ever gets more than 15% of the vote, thus opening the door for one of the weirdos to push through? That's my new fantasy.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Good grief the bank of washing machines behind Chris Wallace. Are they making GBS threads their drawers every 15 minutes?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
For all the people still arguing about the "am running" / "will run" tense difference in Warren's statements, she's cleared that up.

quote:

Sheila Bair: So are you going to run for President?

Senator Professor Warren: No.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Joementum posted:

For all the people still arguing about the "am running" / "will run" tense difference in Warren's statements, she's cleared that up.

I wish she'd make up her mind

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

Nope, still tense grammar lawyering room in that statement. It's so obvious it has to mean she is running!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Noam Scheiber responded on Twitter with "... so you think there's a chance ...?"

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

comes along bort posted:

Good grief the bank of washing machines behind Chris Wallace. Are they making GBS threads their drawers every 15 minutes?
That stuck in many internet news site/ non-political forum commenter's craws as well. It stung more than "a couple of Cadillacs" because people could finally get the tangible image of solving everything with money, and how that would fundamentally change the Romneys. They finally got to feel that Ann (Who they likely mistakenly thought was the one doing the laundry) didn't want to bother with ever having to pay attention to the wash so everything would be loaded in at once and she'd just walk away.

Even more fascinating, In this stage-managed era, was that there had to have been a discussion to leave that door open or not. And they chose to leave it open to show how normal they were, but it failed because everyone with speaking-rights on that set was probably paid enough for that image to seem normal.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Joementum posted:

Can't be sure until we know what kind of shoes she was wearing.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I thought the possibility of a Warren candidacy was cleared up for sure a month ago?

Dick Morris posted:

It’s back to the future. The very same elements that toppled Hillary Clinton’s “inevitable” nomination in 2008 are once again falling into place. There’s another law school professor with only two years in the Senate who is suddenly front and center. And this time, it’s a woman.

That makes all the difference.

Polling shows that the leading reason for voting for Clinton is that she’s a woman, thanks a desire to see a female president. Her experience follows in the list of positive attributes. So Clinton is especially vulnerable to a female opponent.

Particularly to a woman candidate named Elizabeth Warren.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

eviltastic posted:

I thought the possibility of a Warren candidacy was cleared up for sure a month ago?

It's not a lock until we get Bill Kristol's take.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Joementum posted:

Can you please show me that she didn't check a box indicating that she was running? I think we need someone to investigate this until we get some answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

eviltastic posted:

If Dick Morris says it's true, well it must mean it's true!

• Locked thread