Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

pwnyXpress posted:

*head starbounds*

He said *head explodes*, not *head moves to london and the lead programmer leaves so the ideas guy tells the artists to pick up the slack and does nothing for a year*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
any day now
:skeltal:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Been headless for a year but I hear a new stable skull is just around the corner, it still won't have eyes, a nose or a mouth but the earlobes will be perfectly balanced

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Vanderdeath posted:

I think it would've been less embarrassing for Chucklefish if they had just taken the money and ran at this point.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Ahundredbux posted:

Been headless for a year but I hear a new stable skull is just around the corner, it still won't have eyes, a nose or a mouth but the earlobes will be perfectly balanced

Bring back the sandman, I can't sleep anymore
I haven't slept in a year

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

There have been updates, but not to the game's "stable" build, which is the only thing that really matters. The garbage nightlies update (almost lol) nightly with some minor changes at least. That being said, even if you count all of the nightly updates since they introduced it, there hasn't been nearly enough work done to justify an almost 9 month waiting period. I attribute this to the fact that they're still taking out, replacing, and not-even-putting-in-yet critical game features 3 years into development.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

There have been updates, but not to the game's "stable" build, which is the only thing that really matters. The garbage nightlies update (almost lol) nightly with some minor changes at least. That being said, even if you count all of the nightly updates since they introduced it, there hasn't been nearly enough work done to justify an almost 9 month waiting period. I attribute this to the fact that they're still taking out, replacing, and not-even-putting-in-yet critical game features 3 years into development.

I think the biggest issue is that apparently they have no idea just what the hell they want Starbound to be and have repeatedly rewritten core features. How many complete overhauls of combat have there been?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as i have recently found out at least it doesn't take a minute to knock down a vine with your matter manipulator anymore

sweet

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think the biggest issue is that apparently they have no idea just what the hell they want Starbound to be and have repeatedly rewritten core features. How many complete overhauls of combat have there been?

Let's be honest here, 'complete overhauls' in this case is basically just randomly assigning variables.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

"Overhaul" assumes that there was something finished and usable to overhaul, yes.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Lol bad game

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Bob NewSCART posted:

Lol bad game

rofl

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I remember way back before Starbound had gone early access Tiy was answering a handful of different questions from the community. The first one was a ton of people asking why a playable beta hadn't been released yet and Tiy had to explain that even though the game looks like it's feature complete and playable, it wasn't nearly as close to completion as it looked, and he was telling the truth. Later someone raised concerns that maybe Starbound wasn't progressing quickly because of feature creep and Tiy explained that they were remaining very vigilant about feature creep and not adding anything more than what they had originally planned, and he was telling the truth about that too.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
hey remember that great big feature map that had all these features at "nearly done!"

lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

sword_man.gif posted:

hey remember that great big feature map that had all these features at "nearly done!"

lol

thats a pro new av

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Lmao

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

literally been working on the game for three year, still havent figured out movement, combat and mining.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Kly posted:

literally been working on the game for three year, still havent figured out movement, combat and mining.

Yeah, that's what he said, they're keeping tight control in feature creep.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Eonwe posted:

thats a pro new av

always looking forward to a new sword_man.gif

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

always looking forward to a new sword_man.gif

well it's better than looking forward to a starbound update.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blackheart posted:

whens that

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Eonwe posted:

whens that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRJQTbzWLl8

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Blackheart posted:

:drat:

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

WHERE ARE THE STARBOUND DEFENDERS NOW

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

thank god, a new font

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Taken at face value Starbound isn't as bad as a lot of games but it had (or still has) the potential to be so good, most of the hate for it comes from the squandered potential.
Even moreso because most of the bad stuff isn't coding related, it boils down to actual design decisions that people intentionally made against the wishes of most of the actual players.

It's so bad because it could have been so good but the developers don't seem to want it to be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Development is also kind of glacial at this point.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Babe Magnet posted:

thank god, a new font

This is actually a good thing.

It just shouldn't have taken as much time as it probably did.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

They all read this thread but they never post except to direct people to the reddit hugbox

the discussion's just as bad over there but it's biased in a direction that they prefer, so I guess everyone's happy!

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Vib Rib posted:

it boils down to actual design decisions that people intentionally made against the wishes of most of the actual players.

nobody knows what they want, including the starbound team, but also including you

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i know what i want and it's this epic game to get more sales than Destiny

Musluk
May 23, 2011

too busy sucking tiy's dick

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

playing with fifty kinds of dirt

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Bet you've not even collect 999x of every type of block

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012
It's ok, we'll just wait for the hardcore fans to mod the game and fix all of our problems! What's that - source code? Dev kit? No, no, we couldn't give out any of that...

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Ahundredbux posted:

I have dirt and stone and still look for poo

Anyone up for block 4 block trades?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Trading 1 copy of starbound for 999 poo blocks

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ahundredbux posted:

You haven't finished the game otherwise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Spoilers for the new update!

Any day now :)

• Locked thread