Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

As much as I love a good V8, I'll trade it for a V6 and screaming turbos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Why not a V8 and screaming turbos? Best of both worlds :v:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Since we are discussing car engines and good sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGQT1m-5cB0&t=6s

Enzo cold start; hell has awoken.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wally Joyner posted:

It was a V12 concept car that caused people to poo poo blank checks at Jaguar but ended up being released with a TTV6 from the Metro 6R4 Group B because of weight and emissions. At the same car-show the Ferrari F40 was shown, too.

A shame too because the finished product was arguably better than the concept. I think what also dented it's desirability a little was that the XJR-15 was released slightly before it. I think, everything considered, a TT V6 is one of the best configurations performance wise. V6s get poo poo on a lot but they are a good engine design.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of a lumpy V8 but the tears about the move to a TTV6 are just loving delicious. Do people not remember what the GT-40 was created for?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of a lumpy V8 but the tears about the move to a TTV6 are just loving delicious. Do people not remember what the GT-40 was created for?
To give the two finger salute to Enzo :patriot:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Most people weren't expecting a lumpy V8? They were expecting a version of the GT350 engine which is a flat plane.

V6 engines have much more complex crankshafts compared to a flat plane V8. Yes the NSX had a V6, it would have been better with a V8.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah I would have preferred to see a V8 in the GT, but I guess that's what they're using in racing so it makes sense. A 4.0 TT flat plane V8 would have been cooler though. Or even just destroked the 5.2 a whole shitload (which means higher revs) and put in thicker liners.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The choice was indeed based upon what they were racing with, aren't V6s slightly easier to package though (smaller overall size/weight and length)?

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 13, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009
http://i.imgur.com/EAyb5zF.gifv

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ghost slide the whip

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Holy poo poo, a unicorn!!!

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007

You Am I posted:

To give the two finger salute to Enzo :patriot:

ahem, :britain:

Not keen on the arse of the new one, or am I not keen on the front? I think I like both but not both at once? I dunno, I have a very confused hard-on.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Jefinabox posted:

ahem, :britain:

Not keen on the arse of the new one, or am I not keen on the front? I think I like both but not both at once? I dunno, I have a very confused hard-on.

It looks like a Lotus Exige with better proportions (which isn't far from the original, really). Not bad, but it ain't a Ford GT unless your elbow is on the gas tank. :colbert:

On the other hand, weren't most of the winningest/best-looking OG GT40s the small-engined ones?

Whatever the case, it's better than the GT90 (note the lack of profile shots).

Edit: it continues to amaze me how tiny the original GT40 was. It's waist-high. It'd mostly fit inside your kitchen cabinets, with the top of the Gurney bubble just barely touching the faucet spout.

A foot longer, two inches wider, and five inches lower than the Exige.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 13, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I had a book on concept cars when I was younger which had the GT90 in it and I grew kinda fond of it. It's definitely not hideous, I really like the design of it but that may be because it looks like it should be in an anime from the late 80s.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

88h88 posted:

I had a book on concept cars when I was younger which had the GT90 in it and I grew kinda fond of it. It's definitely not hideous, I really like the design of it but that may be because it looks like it should be in an anime from the late 80s.

That looks an awful lot like the Aston Martin car they did for Gran Turismo Vision...

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Now that you mention it, I have a bit more respect for the GT90 -- it's every bit the fighter-jet-inspired craziness of Harley Earl's '50s/'60s concepts, except based on the happening jet of the '90s:

Speaking of concept cars, the Pontiac Banshee IV was the bee's pajamas in '88, but was a bit dated in when the 4th-gen F-body used most of the styling in '93.

Though 20 years later, I'm kinda wishing I'd bought my younger cousin's '96 Camaro when she traded it in.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 13, 2015

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Delivery McGee posted:

It looks like a Lotus Exige with better proportions (which isn't far from the original, really). Not bad, but it ain't a Ford GT unless your elbow is on the gas tank. :colbert:

On the other hand, weren't most of the winningest/best-looking OG GT40s the small-engined ones?

Edit: it continues to amaze me how tiny the original GT40 was. It's waist-high. It'd mostly fit inside your kitchen cabinets, with the top of the Gurney bubble just barely touching the faucet spout.

As a matter of fact, it was 40 inches tall. There ya go.

I still love my 1:18 GT90. It's so loving 90s it hurts. TRIANGLES, BITCH!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I just like the fact there was absolutely NOTHING organic about the lines on it, only two curves on the entire body around the wheelarches.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

88h88 posted:

I loved the GT90, mostly because of Need for Speed II SE which I played to death with my Mad Catz (tm) cheapo plastic racing wheel. :pcgaming:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Apparently Lamborghini Countachs came with a donut just like every other car.

I can't stop laughing at this.

Source: http://jalopnik.com/why-owning-a-lamborghini-countach-is-a-gigantic-adventu-1679249092

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

As a matter of fact, it was 40 inches tall. There ya go.

:thejoke: 40 inches is a lot smaller than it sounds when you actually look at it on a tape measure. I suppose part of it is being accustomed to (semi-)modern cars with big wheels -- without context, you mentally scale it for 18" wheels, but they're actually 14". Without people for scale, I picture the GT40 as being the size of the GT, but it's actually teensy. (the Countach,on the other hand, is exactly as big as it looks)

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 13, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, the countach is a massive pig at 42 inches tall.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Delivery McGee posted:

Now that you mention it, I have a bit more respect for the GT90 -- it's every bit the fighter-jet-inspired craziness of Harley Earl's '50s/'60s concepts, except based on the happening jet of the '90s:

There is only one fighter jet car in my book. Lamborghini Reventon

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

davebo posted:

There is only one fighter jet car in my book.
Well, technically...

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Powershift posted:

Yeah, the countach is a massive pig at 42 inches tall.

That 2" makes a lot of difference (and it's longer and wider, and half again the weight), and the Lambo is much more a wedge shape than the sexy lines of the GT40. About the size of the neo-GT.

Remember this thing?

Vector W8. Man, the '90s was the golden age of supercars -- even though they had poo poo engines by modern standards and the interior fell in your lap, they looked damned cool.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 13, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Delivery McGee posted:

The Ford GT in Gulf livery will haunt your dreams

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

what's the going price on kidneys these days? :stare:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Gulf Livery for lyfe

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/this-is-what-its-like-to-drive-a-1966-ford-gt40-in-new-york-city/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Wbgl_ZP_A

some comment on that site posted:

Dan Gurney (GT 40 driver back in the day) had that same issue with head room in the GT 40. The solution was ingenious in its simplicity, cut a hole on the top of the door and screw a semispherical cap on it. They named it the “Gurney Bubble” in his honour.

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad178/Lilbastard99/GT40.jpg

I KNOW this happens with every distinctive model refresh but I think the new GT is in no way a "real" GT40. Looks good no doubt, but come on.

:colbert: :goonsay:

anonumos fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 13, 2015

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Further proof that Gulf livery is the best livery.

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007
Best gt40 stuff

http://youtu.be/1jF__B1xpJY

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Wow, I really didn't like the car that much, but seeing it like that makes it for me. Maybe that Regular rear end Blue just isn't the right color for that car?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ford should make the Gulf blue/orange a factory option for performance models (RS/350/GT); they couldn't use the Gulf decals but the colours would still look baller.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Neptr posted:

Wouldn't a Ford EcoBoost TTV6 in a supercar be a detuned/streetable Daytona Prototype engine? Who wouldn't choose a racing engine over some other V8 Ford could offer? It's more in keeping to the car's heritage as a race car for public roads.

Ding ding ding. The GT's engine isn't an uptuned SHO engine, it's a detuned, streetable Ganassi engine.

People are loving stupid when it comes to the new GT, they don't understand what Ford is doing with it. They intend to win class at Le Mans 50 years after the GT40 went 1-2-3. Literally every styling and powertrain element of the car is based around that, it's irrelevant what car nerds say on the internet.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 13, 2015

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Wally Joyner posted:

It was a V12 concept car that caused people to poo poo blank checks at Jaguar but ended up being released with a TTV6 from the Metro 6R4 Group B because of weight and emissions. At the same car-show the Ferrari F40 was shown, too.

No one wrote a cheque thinking the car would be a V12, it had moved to a RWD V6 long before they started accepting money. People tried to use that as an excuse (unsuccessfully) to get out of existing orders when the economy shat the bed.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The XJ220 also used a TTV6 from 30 years ago, meaning it had turbo lag for days.

New TTV6's don't have this issue.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

VikingSkull posted:

The XJ220 also used a TTV6 from 30 years ago, meaning it had turbo lag for days.

New TTV6's don't have this issue.

I'm reminded of that 300ZX commercial where the dude's stream-of-consciousness-ing for like a minute at full throttle before "And then... the twin turbos... kick... in...."

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Remember when rover accidentally designed the nsx spiritual predecessor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_EX-E

Same engine origins as the XJ220 but less revision and finesse i suppose

One of the guys who designed it now heads up landrovers design and also designed mountains, oceans, beautiful memories. To name just a few.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fucknag posted:

I'm reminded of that 300ZX commercial where the dude's stream-of-consciousness-ing for like a minute at full throttle before "And then... the twin turbos... kick... in...."

80's car commercials fuckin' rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UscFv8P4WsM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

what's the going price on kidneys these days? :stare:
Well, does it matter, as long as you sell enough to make the required sum? I mean, they don't have to be yours.