Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

21st Cherry boy posted:

Hahahaha Berserker Rage does not disarm your own Doctor Doom traps. So by the time you get 9 green you've probably already filled up most/all of the purple tiles with traps and the opponent gets few or no strike tiles.

Holy poo poo are you kidding me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Is there any neat way to get tons of ISO or is it just 'do a ton of pvp poo poo every day'?

Goldom
Feb 19, 2009

The governor has given a rats-alert advising people to stay in their homes.
I have quickly realized this also means not to use Doom against an enemy Patch. That was unpleasant. On the other hand, I just pulled my 2nd Doom purple from a standard token, so that was nice.

Dizz posted:

Is there any neat way to get tons of ISO or is it just 'do a ton of pvp poo poo every day'?

ISO is pretty much just a participation reward. Playing less, but at opportune times (toward the end of events) makes for easier ranking wins in both PvE and PvP, but you end up with barely any ISO. If you want to build up ISO, make sure to play every node in every sub-event of the PvE as well. Could also replay them until you get the 500 ISO reward from each, but you're liable to just get the 20 ISO instead, so PvP is probably the fastest way after the first clear.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So basically if I want to place in top 100 and above on a PvP/PvE event I should just hit the events near the end (or join the last brackets)?

(Yeah I asked this in alliance chat as well, trying to get some clarification)

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Dizz posted:

There's no way around playing a bunch if you want ISO, but lightning rounds tend to be particularly good. Get in, get 100 points, and then ignore it (or keep playing if you want more participation ISO, 100 points is just the point where it's too much effort for me to bother hitting another progression award).

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Scyantific posted:

So basically if I want to place in top 100 and above on a PvP/PvE event I should just hit the events near the end (or join the last brackets)?

(Yeah I asked this in alliance chat as well, trying to get some clarification)

If you have the essential guy you can do this pretty easy and get the I so rewards. Also, this DP mission had one where you get 50 HP so I suggest doing it if you can.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I loving hate 2* Storm + magneto teams. Such a seemingly simple thing is virtually impossible if they even get the slightest lead in AP.

E: I give up at trying to get 300 ap in the hood toruney.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Dizz posted:

I loving hate 2* Storm + magneto teams. Such a seemingly simple thing is virtually impossible if they even get the slightest lead in AP.

E: I give up at trying to get 300 ap in the hood toruney.

I'm the shitlord who spams this combo :v:

Best counter IMO is OBW, just keep matching purples and use Aggressive Recon to keep them from building up blue/purple AP.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Scyantific posted:

I'm the shitlord who spams this combo :v:

Best counter IMO is OBW, just keep matching purples and use Aggressive Recon to keep them from building up blue/purple AP.

Yeah 2* Widow will rob anyone blind but that team in particular will have a rough time doing anything against her. Wish she had a good 3* equivalent. Is anything at 3* even comparable to her AP thieving? The Hood is the closest I can think of, and maybe Loki, but neither of those are super consistent about it.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

CidGregor posted:

Yeah 2* Widow will rob anyone blind but that team in particular will have a rough time doing anything against her. Wish she had a good 3* equivalent. Is anything at 3* even comparable to her AP thieving? The Hood is the closest I can think of, and maybe Loki, but neither of those are super consistent about it.

On the contrary, I think Hood is a better AP stealer than OBW. At 5 blue covers, he's insufferable to play against and doesn't even require matches to get the gravy train going. Mystique could probably be pretty nasty in theory, but I haven't played enough with her to know how reliable her shapeshifting is. My early results with Blade have been underwhelming. I think AP steal is more of a secondary benefit for his character.

E: VV the problem is once you clean him out of whatever color is "strongest," additional AP comes at a trickle. Also, it seems like a lot of characters' strongest abilities aren't necessarily on their strongest color.

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 13, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Not comparable, but 3* Blade's Nightstalker ability is pretty decent honestly. AP removal from you enemies' strongest color on every turn + an initial attack is pretty decent.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I've been having fun with 3* model 40 ironman and 2* astonishing wolverine, get 2 yellow matches and one red and do 3k+ damage, repeat. Maybe a 2* now mags as well to build blue for the ironman's missiles if there isn't an essential.
I hate that my hood has only got yellow/black, he's just not as useful without the steal.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

fishtobaskets posted:

On the contrary, I think Hood is a better AP stealer than OBW. At 5 blue covers, he's insufferable to play against and doesn't even require matches to get the gravy train going. Mystique could probably be pretty nasty in theory, but I haven't played enough with her to know how reliable her shapeshifting is. My early results with Blade have been underwhelming. I think AP steal is more of a secondary benefit for his character.

E: VV the problem is once you clean him out of whatever color is "strongest," additional AP comes at a trickle. Also, it seems like a lot of characters' strongest abilities aren't necessarily on their strongest color.

I think designers actually make characters' strongest abilities be in weaker colors on purpose, to make you choose between higher match damage and access to better abilities (not that it's usually a hard choice, strong abilities almost always are better unless someone is really close to dying and higher match damage will push them over).

Hood is definitely the best AP thief in the game. He was my 3rd maxed 3* character, and I use him in every fight I can. Fights that don't allow him are way harder, suddenly you have to work to keep your opponent from using powers.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Is there a bug where deadpool's sprite changes to him looking like he just woke up? Or is that just a feature because it's deadpool and he's famous for breaking fourth walls?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Deakul posted:

Could they have made the Deadpool dialog any cringier? Christ.

MPQ's game dialogue is always bad

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Dizz posted:

Is there a bug where deadpool's sprite changes to him looking like he just woke up? Or is that just a feature because it's deadpool and he's famous for breaking fourth walls?

He has 3 different poses for team selection and one of them is sleepytime deadpool for whatever reason

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

fishtobaskets posted:

On the contrary, I think Hood is a better AP stealer than OBW. At 5 blue covers, he's insufferable to play against and doesn't even require matches to get the gravy train going.

Maybe that's my problem then, I don't have his blue power maxed yet so I'm lucky if he steals AP even half the time.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard

CidGregor posted:

Maybe that's my problem then, I don't have his blue power maxed yet so I'm lucky if he steals AP even half the time.

I feel like they never give out his blue covers as rewards unless you place really high. I've had yellow and black maxed out for ages and have discarded several of each, but I still only have 3 blue and at least one of those came from a token.

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
The PVP I just played had a ton of Hood's with Yellow and Black but no blue covers.

I had only 2 blue covers for 6 months. After I bought two a ton dropped for me, I ended up having to trash some of them.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
My hood's maxed with 5 blue covers. He's a really good support guy.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I need to thin out my 2* heroes a bit thinking of dropping human torch, who has 4/1/1, but is just level 18. Bullseye is level 54, and 5/3, but I hear he's not well loved. I also have a low level modern hawkguy.
This would leave me with Thor, Daken, and Magneto at pretty high levels, OBW moving up, and 2* storm waiting for more powers. Also a bunch of 3* heroes, with 2/1/1 cage the best of them.

Any guidelines that can help with this?

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

StumblyWumbly posted:

I need to thin out my 2* heroes a bit thinking of dropping human torch, who has 4/1/1, but is just level 18. Bullseye is level 54, and 5/3, but I hear he's not well loved. I also have a low level modern hawkguy.
This would leave me with Thor, Daken, and Magneto at pretty high levels, OBW moving up, and 2* storm waiting for more powers. Also a bunch of 3* heroes, with 2/1/1 cage the best of them.

Any guidelines that can help with this?

I posted about it earlier in the thread, but I think the conventional wisdom that you should keep a thin 2* roster is a bit outdated in the current metagame. I only recently completed my transition to 3*, but I leaned on an expansive roster of 2* characters to consistently hit the 3* rewards in PVE/PVP. I haven't really deleted any of my 2* characters since they're occasionally still useful when they are buffed, but I have all these 2* guys maxxed:
Ares
OBW
Daken
M.Hawkeye
Johnny Storm
MN Mags
C.Storm
Thor
Wolverine

My go-to duos would be MNMags+C.Storm and Thor+OBW, but I'd switch it around a lot depending on who was hurt. Wolverine+Daken is a great lightning round team since you get true healing to sustain you through the 5 quick matches you need for the 100-point reward. Thor + Ares as your go-to defensive duo.

The standard trios are:
MNMags + C.Storm + M.Hawkeye - This team is a blast if you can get a few purple matches. I still use it in early PVP because it's just fun to play.
Thor + Daken + Torch - Almost as fast and tankier. I have a bit of trouble deciding what to prioritize with this team, as Red, Yellow, Green, Black, & Blue are all great choices. It's a nice problem to have though.
Thor + Ares + OBW - standard defensive team. Two fat nukey tanks & OBW to make your opponents nervous.

2* Marvel came out after I transitioned so I'm not sure if she has a place in any of the above configurations. I scrapped every other 2* I got & didn't feel like I was missing much. At one point I leveled up 2* Cap, but I sold him off because I never found myself using him.

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 14, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've kept almost all of my 2 star dudes, and haven't really regretted it. The 2 star guys generally get buffed in PVE, especially 2star Johnny Storm in the last couple. 2400 damage for 6 net red AP is nothing to sneeze at.

I've kept my 2 star Cap around because he is very useful against PVE dudes that create tiles, if you get him going between him and Falcon you can keep the board clean pretty easily. I'm also hoping they revamp him sometime in the future and make him a little stronger. The difference between 2 and 3 star cap is night and day.

RE: Ms Marvel she's pretty handy to have around. I have her fully covered at 3/5/5 and she's a good teammate for specific situations. Her red destroys pesky protect tiles, and does a token amount of damage, and she brings a useable black and yellow to the team. I haven't really leveled her at all, generally only use her when she's buffed, but she can serve a purpose. She's also handy for creating tons of TU tiles to use those expensive TU's you've had sitting around for weeks.

I'm still in transition somewhat though, I have a lot of 3 star guys, but I'm just getting to the point where they have a useable number of covers (8 to 10 mostly), and haven't really leveled any of them past 94 yet.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
It sounds like I should sell my Bullseye. I put a lot into him, but I'm starting to see why he doesn't get much use.
At some point I decided to just not get into Ares, and I guess that was a bit of a bad move, too, but I just don't want to buy more slots.
I could sell some 1 cover 3*s, like sentry, but I worry I'll feel even dumber if I do that

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Blindly stumbled into the last fight of the Deadpool event - and got slammed. They really want you to earn that 2.5k Iso-8.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Suddenly, Squirrel Girl.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Suddenly, Squirrel Girl.

Really?

E: Wow it's true.

Dizz fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 15, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh well, something properly new at least and not just wolverine in another new hat. But

how many characters does this stupid loving game need

even if you take out all the repeated characters thats still too loving many for a loving match three game

oh well, nothing's going to stop them releasing a million billion more characters

gently caress it, just release howard the loving duck and doctor loving bong

McDragon fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 15, 2015

duz
Jul 11, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Suddenly, Squirrel Girl.

:dance:

Her new comic is great as expected.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

The problem with too many characters is that there's no real way to give out more rewards for older stuff so you're hoping for that one 2* cover you need and nope it's either a cover you're maxed in, or some poo poo like Daken or Captain America.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Dizz posted:

The problem with too many characters is that there's no real way to give out more rewards for older stuff so you're hoping for that one 2* cover you need and nope it's either a cover you're maxed in, or some poo poo like Daken or Captain America.

Yeah, wait 'til you get to 3* land. 2* covers drop like candy versus those and there's way more 3* characters.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait til you're in 4* land. You'll gather 2500hero points to level up abilities faster than you'll get ability covers. :v:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

That recent event (not the hulk one, the other one) where it was two every 12 hours, I ended with 100ish regular tokens and a dozen heroics by the end of it. Only like 3 were useful.
Also, I hated that the recent Deadpool event tokens didn't have an increased drop rate for Deadpool.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Yeah, wait 'til you get to 3* land. 2* covers drop like candy versus those and there's way more 3* characters.

I'm good enough to get into 3* reward tier, but bad enough that I often get bumped from the 2 cover rewards so i mostly get 1 all the time.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm just glad I managed to max out Hulk a while back before the roster got flooded. He's easily my most used guy. Still spent Hero Points for that last Black. Only time I've used HP for skills, but totally worth it. Although I think I came across a black cover some time after that.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

StumblyWumbly posted:

It sounds like I should sell my Bullseye. I put a lot into him, but I'm starting to see why he doesn't get much use.
I'd recommend you not do this until his third power is revealed (unless you're fully transitioned to 3-star teams). They seem to be giving some pretty generous power boosts to the 2-ability characters and his purple has synergy with several 3 stars including spidey, doom, gsbw and patch.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

McDragon posted:

Oh well, something properly new at least and not just wolverine in another new hat. But

how many characters does this stupid loving game need

even if you take out all the repeated characters thats still too loving many for a loving match three game

oh well, nothing's going to stop them releasing a million billion more characters

gently caress it, just release howard the loving duck and doctor loving bong

Does maxing a character still require $200+ dollars in ISO/covers (if you're really, really lucky). If so then there is your answer.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

So I just started playing the Hotshot pvp event, and one of the dev-created dummy accounts that pvp usually starts you off against had a Star-Lord team-up equipped.

Guess we know what new character is up next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

CidGregor posted:

So I just started playing the Hotshot pvp event, and one of the dev-created dummy accounts that pvp usually starts you off against had a Star-Lord team-up equipped.

Who?