Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Peter was a TA while working on an unspecified master's degree back in the 80s with Stern. In the Byrne/Mackie reboot he was a lab assistant for like 2 issues.

TwoPair posted:

It is notable that one of the first things that Ock does after taking Peter's body is note how easy to make Peter's web fluid is and how he could have made a shitload of money with it. Then he's amazed that Peter doesn't have a doctorate so he goes off and gets one. Ock thinks Parker is wasting his talents on superheroing, Parker thinks Ock is wasting his on evil (they're both kinda right well Peter is right, but Doc Ock has a point).

And Peter and Iron MAn and a lot of others have had the same thoughts as well. Of course Tony Stark could run a patent through a shell corporation or whatever. Peter doesn't have those kind of resources, at least when first starting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

notthegoatseguy posted:

Peter was a TA while working on an unspecified master's degree back in the 80s with Stern. In the Byrne/Mackie reboot he was a lab assistant for like 2 issues.

I remember he was employed at this major R&D firm around the same time MJ was a supermodel, but then during the story arc where Mary Jane has a stalker who fakes her death in a plane crash (it's a really bad story that ultimately goes nowhere), I'm fairly sure he actually lost his job because all his ideas and research were too innovative.

After that, he gets booted out of his fancy penthouse because MJ's agent nicked all her money and did a runner on them, and he ends up moving into a swinging bachelor's pad with Joe Robertson's son, who helps him get back into the dating game (the whole thing reads kinda like a dry-run for OMD, in retrospect).

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm pretty sure he was a teacher in the Other but that all got wiped shortly after by OMD/BMD.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Astro Nut posted:

That always seemed weird and counter-productive to me. Wouldn't he be more relatable if he had to age and thus went through the various changes that people do growing up. Or is being married alien to comic bo- Oh nevermind.

Writers really do not think highly about their audience.

Which may be fair, granted.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

I'm pretty sure he was a teacher in the Other but that all got wiped shortly after by OMD/BMD.

Actually that isn't true, both in what actually happened and that "OMD/BND" (which one is a very specific story and one is encompassing like 3 years worth of several stories) actually "wiped" anything (it didn't)

Peter stopped teaching after he unmasked. People were protesting outside the school and all kinds of crazy poo poo. Even in the alternate universe where OMD never happened, any principal or superintendent would have some very big issues with Peter because he is either an outlaw or a public superhero who has to make time for his heroics at the drop of a hat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah but he was suddenly a photographer for the Daily Bugle again after OMD, so yeah, they used it to reset his job as well as his marital status.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

notthegoatseguy posted:

Peter stopped teaching after he unmasked. People were protesting outside the school and all kinds of crazy poo poo. Even in the alternate universe where OMD never happened, any principal or superintendent would have some very big issues with Peter because he is either an outlaw or a public superhero who has to make time for his heroics at the drop of a hat.

You are right, I totally forgot Civil War happend around all this. I read it all in a row so it kind of blurs together.

This, however:

quote:

Actually that isn't true, both in what actually happened and that "OMD/BND" (which one is a very specific story and one is encompassing like 3 years worth of several stories) actually "wiped" anything (it didn't)

Is :goonsay: as gently caress. The one directly triggered the other.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

Is :goonsay: as gently caress. The one directly triggered the other.

It's also not true, as it completely wiped MJ and Peter's marriage.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

notthegoatseguy posted:

They probably wouldn't let an open superhero work at their school considering that makes them the easiest target in the world, all things considered.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
A question about Spiderverse, does 616 Peter hold a title like Kaine, Silk and Benji?

Because he hasn't done anything of note so far, the only thing he could brag about (killing Morlun) was retroactively made pointless.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

A question about Spiderverse, does 616 Peter hold a title like Kaine, Silk and Benji?

Because he hasn't done anything of note so far, the only thing he could brag about (killing Morlun) was retroactively made pointless.

Well before OMD he was the one with the powers of The Other. But then he sold his marriage to Satan and that apparently never happened, since he went back to mechanical webshooters.

Edit:Actually I guess he does technically hold a title: The Designated Protagonist/Guy Whose Name Is On The Book.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Peter would not brag about killing Morlun.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well before OMD he was the one with the powers of The Other. But then he sold his marriage to Satan and that apparently never happened, since he went back to mechanical webshooters.

Edit:Actually I guess he does technically hold a title: The Designated Protagonist/Guy Whose Name Is On The Book.

Given how things are going, I have the nagging feeling that Spiderverse will be resolved with minimal input from Peter and instead being solved by Silk (she's the one doing pretty much everything to move the plot forward).

Or if Peter does solve the conflict is gonna feel like an asspull. I don't know what is worse.

Waterhaul posted:

That was a manner of speaking.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

Well, you'd think he'd have mentioned 'Oh yeah, his weakness is radiation' when Spider-UK mentioned he was the only guy to have ever defeated one, though. They explained specifically that was why he was so important. The knowledge of how he did it might have been useful.

And you know, it makes more sense than Silk stumbling into a nuclear wasteland at random by plot contrivance the workings of the Master Weaver plot contrivance.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The series has very clearly been Peter(s) over his head and barely having 5 minutes to think about what's going on while trying to avoid being eaten. They've lucked out on having a world where they can hide out for more than two minutes, then they can start thinking of a plan and how to do things.

As well as deal with whatever magic nonsense is going on too.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Worth pointing out Kaine pretty much became The Other during Yost's awesome Scarlet Spider series.

But Peter has done jack so far besides sending spiders out for adventures.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Well it's not really Yost that made him The Other when Slott had already done it in Spider-Island.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Flameingblack posted:

They probably wouldn't let an open superhero work at their school considering that makes them the easiest target in the world, all things considered.

Especially since he revealed his identity in the wake of a school being blown up in a superhero fight.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I did an interview for MTV News about Punk Spider-Man/Spider-Punk/whoever with a couple of the pages from tomorrow's book previewed-

I guess he's also going to be in the Unlimited game, so that's neat too.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

The series has very clearly been Peter(s) over his head and barely having 5 minutes to think about what's going on while trying to avoid being eaten. They've lucked out on having a world where they can hide out for more than two minutes, then they can start thinking of a plan and how to do things.

As well as deal with whatever magic nonsense is going on too.

They seemed pretty calm right up till they went off to grab SpOck and pals, you'd think he'd have remembered 'how I beat Morlun the first time round' and shared that information before that point. Especially since they explicitly explained he was the only one to do so, that's what made him special.

Peter should have been thinking about what made him different in that regard, and how that could be applied. He's not an idiot! Sure, the Inheritors respawn, but considering radiation debilitated Morlun to the point he could be killed by regular bullets, that's information that could save lives.
Ezekiel should have shared his knowledge before they went on the SpOck rescue mission, and explained why Silk should stay in the safe zone, as well as Benjy's significance. They had all three of the Spider-Trinity in one place, that is the exact time to explain what the deal is!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I had no idea Gerard Way did a comic for Marvel, so I checked out Sp//der. I was delightfully surprised, because it was the closest thing to Grant Morrison writing a Spider-property (Except I checked and apparently he did some non-Spider-Man backup for a UK reprint of Spider-Man). I know they're frequent collaborators, but you could replace Way's name with Morrison's and there would be no way to tell the difference, everything was 100% Morrisonian storytelling and dialogue.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 13, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I did an interview for MTV News about Punk Spider-Man/Spider-Punk/whoever with a couple of the pages from tomorrow's book previewed-

This looks really awesome.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Please tell me you'll be at C2E2 this year. If there's two things we love on the outskirts of Detroit it'd be punk music and Spider-Man.

If Spider Punk dies we riot.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I pretty much only read trades from the library but I'm going to buy the gently caress out of this book.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Is that a Venomized police dog??

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

You've got my attention. For as much as I've complained about the main event, there's been some really good stuff in the spinoff books.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Seeing that Spider-Punk page with V.E.N.O.M reminded me, does anybody else find it weird that there's not been one Venom/Spider-Man who kept the symbiote in this whole thing yet? I mean, I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of What Ifs, but I feel like there's gotta be at least one story where Peter keeps the symbiote, for better or for worse.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 14, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I've never had any interest in cosplaying before, until this moment.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

TwoPair posted:

Seeing that Spider-Punk page with V.E.N.O.M reminded me, does anybody else find it weird that there's not been one Venom/Spider-Man who kept the symbiote in this whole thing yet? I mean, I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of What Ifs, but I feel like there's gotta be at least a story where Peter keeps the symbiote, for better or for worse.
Wasn't there one that the Inheritors kinda passed off as "tainted food"? I want to say in the Edge Of- or Spider-Verse Team-Up books?

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 14, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Seeing that Spider-Punk page with V.E.N.O.M reminded me, does anybody else find it weird that there's not been one Venom/Spider-Man who kept the symbiote in this whole thing yet? I mean, I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of What Ifs, but I feel like there's gotta be at least a story where Peter keeps the symbiote, for better or for worse.

The one I can think of, the symbiote absorbs his life essence and he dies as an old man after a couple of weeks. This was before Venom was a thing though.

Paging Gavok.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 14, 2015

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Spider-Man: Lethal Protector.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Earth X Spider-Girl embraced the symbiote too

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Dacap posted:

Earth X Spider-Girl embraced the symbiote too

Wasn't she recently destroyed from existence in Remender's Uncanny Avengers? I only barely remember reading that story and I don't think I read the end.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

Wasn't she recently destroyed from existence in Remender's Uncanny Avengers? I only barely remember reading that story and I don't think I read the end.

Unknown. She faded away when Kang was defeated, presumably back to her timeline.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

There was that Spider-Man: The Other what-if story where the symbiote bonded with him while he was doing the weird metamorphosis thing, and he called himself Poison afterwards. It was pretty strange. It was like a merging of Peter and the symbiote, not a normal symbiote bond thing, but he should still count as a totem.

And the super old Secret Wars What-If where the symbiote ate him entirely since they were stranded on the alien planet. But even though it still has Peter's memories and skeleton inside there I imagine that counts as a dead totem.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it so far. Sheldon did a really killer job.

Die Laughing posted:

Please tell me you'll be at C2E2 this year.

Sorry man, too poor.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is that a Venomized police dog??

Oh yeah it is.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I have to say, making the O in the Oscorp logo look like the OCP symbol from Robocop is a genius move. Very well done.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Read Spider-verse #2.

Like most of the tie-ins, better than the main book.

My thoughts:
-Spider-Punk story was excellent. I kind of got a Protomen vibe from the visuals and tone. All in all, a great story. Props to you, Vulpes Vulpes.
-The Anansi story was odd, but I still liked it, especially the increasingly put-upon Spider-UK.
-Mexican Spider-Man was also good, in its own way, but it didn't really set the world on fire.
-Dan Slott's stories...were actually pretty good. I'm not really a fan of the 'Morlun shows up, eats Spider-Man' premise at all, but I found the Marvel vs. Capcom joke amusing. As for 'the little things'..I really liked that story. The two Peters bantered well, even if the Secret Wars setup was fairly obvious, between the namedroping of the original and the focus on Renew Your Vows Peter's wedding ring. I hope the Spider-Army is intended as a distraction from the actual plan in the main event though, because 'throw Spider-Men at the problem til it falls over' doesn't really seem like the sort of planning you'd expect from Peter or Doc Ock for that matter. My inner continuity nerd is also slightly cheesed off by the fact that RYV Peter has mechanical webshooters, since, assuming his past bar encountering Morlun (ugh, that retcon is so stupid) is identical to 616 Peter, he should still have organic webshooters from the Spider Queen, since a) Slott knows she exists and b) the organic webshooters were undone by OMD - which never happened there. But I guess I can overlook that for a well-told story. The two Spidey's (I'm actually curious what Black Suit Spidey's deal is-is he meant to be OMIT Spidey, ie cohabiting with MJ in the black costume earlier in the relative timeline? Slott has genuinely made me want to know more) were both well written (I liked Black Suit Spidey worrying he's the racist Spider-Man). Yes, I praised a Dan Slott story, try not to faint. Hopefully Renew Your Vows will be more in line with this (and Spider-Man/Human Torch) than his other recent offerings.

What annoys me about the whole thing is why the main event isn't more like this, with the alternate Spideys bouncing off each other in relatively lighthearted adventures.

But it has convinced me to give Renew Your Vows a look. Here's hoping it's up to Slott's old standards.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I really enjoyed the Spider Punk and Ansansi story but I have to say I'm very dissapointed at the Mexican Spider one.

It feels so half baked, the dialogue is incredibly stiff and unnatural (only tv caricatures speak like that). The art was fun and there's some potential there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I can't say I'm upset about MvC Spidey's death. He was always a mid-tier character. :rimshot:

• Locked thread