Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

CJacobs posted:

When you die with the Missing Page onhand, a puzzle piece shows up on your death screen based on where you died and how, and eventually the puzzle pieces would be able to be put together to presumably spell out how to unlock The Lost. That almost happened, it was pretty close to being solved, but then someone got into the files first. Edmund and Tyrone got salty about it.

I'm betting anything like the Lost in the future will be behind skill walls, not puzzles. You can't really do stuff like that anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TheModernAmerican posted:

I'm betting anything like the Lost in the future will be behind skill walls, not puzzles. You can't really do stuff like that anymore.

That's what Edmund said, yes. It was funny to hear them get upset about it though especially because the puzzle was almost solved at the same time as the file hacking

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Of course now that people know how to unlock the Lost, the Missing Poster trinket is completely useless now.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Speaking of lost, did seeds and/or azazel resets stop working? I tried again recently with seeds for the first 3 deaths, and resets for azazel (no dying of course) and it didn't work.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

The execution of that puzzle on Nicalis's part was poorly handled. This type of thing is exactly what happens when a person/company with no experience doing ARG's or crowdsourced puzzles tries to do one. They either accidentally spoil the answer themselves through some technical snafu or they fail to anticipate how quickly a crowd can mow through a puzzle. It's possible to do stuff like this, and it's possible to do stuff like this well. The radios in the original Portal that led up to the announcement of Portal 2 are a good example.

Nicalis made a key technical mistake in making the unlock of the character itself an achievement. Making it an official achievement put up a bunch of giant, "HEY LOOKIE HERE!" flags that made it a lot easier to find. They should have had had no achievement for unlocking The Lost as a character, and then kept all the achievements you get for doing things as that character. That would have obfuscated it quite a lot better.

Edmund probably should have chosen a more difficult format than jigsaw puzzle if they wanted it to last any length of time. People were on the right track with the puzzle pieces when the information came out, and them having to crowdsource the pieces would have probably only delayed the effort 24 hours or so. Edmund getting pissy with the community instead of with Nicalis was really stupid.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Of course now that people know how to unlock the Lost, the Missing Poster trinket is completely useless now.

That's in the spirit of the game, actually. There were a handful of trinkets in the original game like Rusty Key that didn't do anything until Spidermod fixed them. I have to force myself to pick up Rusty Key in Rebirth because I keep forgetting its not completely useless.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 14, 2015

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Mad Jaqk posted:

If you're playing on PC (and it hasn't been patched out), strongly, strongly recommend leaning on the Alt+F4 bug. After you've been but before the game over screen comes up, during the death animation, pause the game and Alt+F4 to close the window. When you reopen, you'll be able to continue the run from the start of the floor (or the last time you quit to the main menu). It's how I got all of my Lost items and I have no regrets.

Perhaps I should have done this, but considering how many times I came close without doing the alt-F4 cheat I decided to be stubborn and keep trying since I knew it was in the realm of possibility. And sure enough, I finally got it. Happened on the first time I actually got Dead Cat to spawn on one of these runs too - had 4 deaths leading up to The Lamb and then died 3 more times on him which made things pretty scary. No Stop Watch or Holy Mantle, and I wasn't overpowered in general either, thanks to a treasure room while Curse of the Blind was active where I picked up Soy Milk. Luckily I had Cricket's Body for the splash damage, and ended up getting Lump of Coal on that same floor to at least add a little damage. Daddy Longlegs was a big help throughout the game too. And then...

dat one portagee posted:

I never get any items from those four red chests in the dark room. The dark room wouldn't so bad if I didn't get poo poo troll bombs in 3 of the chests and four stupid blue flies from the last one

....Usually the best thing I get from those four red chests is a soul heart or two. But this run gave me Guppy's Tail which let me transform into Guppy. Unfortunately because of the Soy Milk the blue flies didn't really do as much damage as they could have been doing, but it was a nice boost.

I feel like a great burden has lifted, but now I get to worry about collecting the rest of the items that I'm missing.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

After taking a sorta-break from Isaac (after having 2-3 weeks of progress lost through steam cloud bullshit), I've come back and finally gotten the God combo of fanny pack, piggy bank, sharp plug, wafer, and D20. I also found the monster manual in the chest and pressed space for fifteen minutes to get bandage girl and meat boy.

My habit of resetting way too early means I only have 68 official deaths. Guess I'll grind Judas?

Unlock the lost. Those deaths will come easily.

Is that an app of some sort you used to show you what you were missing? If so, would you mind sharing it? I don't think I have much left, but it would be nice to know exactly what I need.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I noticed if you already have the Angel Room key finished, further angels will no longer drop copies of it. So no double-dipping on Angel room items with the D6 anymore if you have both parts. At least they made the key smaller so it's not in the way as much.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Godammit, this is the second time in a row where I beat that final boss demonic thing in the last level after Sheol, and then I foolishly decide to clean up the rest of that floor, only to accidentally enter a room without picking up health (in the first case I entered a room with two Monstros II without picking up a Nine lives item I had left in another room which would have made me Gumpy) and dying a miserable death.

Good thing it still unlocks the items after beating the final boss and doesn't matter much if you eventually "lose" the run, I guess.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

AbstractNapper posted:

Godammit, this is the second time in a row where I beat that final boss demonic thing in the last level after Sheol, and then I foolishly decide to clean up the rest of that floor, only to accidentally enter a room without picking up health (in the first case I entered a room with two Monstros II without picking up a Nine lives item I had left in another room which would have made me Gumpy) and dying a miserable death.

Good thing it still unlocks the items after beating the final boss and doesn't matter much if you eventually "lose" the run, I guess.

That's Satan, and there's never a reason to clear sheol out if you can help it. There's really not one for clearing out the womb either. Mistakes are too punishing at that point.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

senae posted:

That's Satan, and there's never a reason to clear sheol out if you can help it. There's really not one for clearing out the womb either. Mistakes are too punishing at that point.
It was the floor after that (wiki calls it "The Dark Room" with "The Lamb" as final boss). I figured I would do it for fun.

In the first case (Azazzel) I could safely reach the Nine Lives item, and then I would have fun fighting some of the room bosses (and dying) until I had 1 life left. But I carelessly entered an unexplored room before getting to that and got killed by those Monstros II...

In the second case (Cain), I directly teleported to The Lamb with an Emperor card and beat it with a decent build. After that I ended up with about 5 or so hearts of health. And then I stepped out (again for fun) and got wrecked by two Cages.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Eh, that's probably the best way to scout those floors if you're not familiar with the game. You said yourself that you still get the unlocks even if you die after beating The Lamb. So there's really no reason not to dick around for fun. Sometimes I'll clear that stuff out if I have a powerful build just to establish dominance and let the game know it ain't poo poo.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

AbstractNapper posted:

It was the floor after that (wiki calls it "The Dark Room" with "The Lamb" as final boss). I figured I would do it for fun.

In the first case (Azazzel) I could safely reach the Nine Lives item, and then I would have fun fighting some of the room bosses (and dying) until I had 1 life left. But I carelessly entered an unexplored room before getting to that and got killed by those Monstros II...

In the second case (Cain), I directly teleported to The Lamb with an Emperor card and beat it with a decent build. After that I ended up with about 5 or so hearts of health. And then I stepped out (again for fun) and got wrecked by two Cages.

Whoops missed the after! Yeah never mind, once you've cleared the fallen it's all over but the streak.

Rip your streak.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Zo posted:

Speaking of lost, did seeds and/or azazel resets stop working? I tried again recently with seeds for the first 3 deaths, and resets for azazel (no dying of course) and it didn't work.

I finally decided to unlock The Lost on my second profile, and seeds still work. I didn't reset Azazel but I did reset once on Judas (accidentally picked up Guppy's Collar, didn't want to gently caress around with that).

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Although it's useless since everyone already knows about The Lost I'm still curious to know what the completed puzzle looks like, but I can't find anything about it. I guess nobody ever worked on it.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
There are four, and each one is just a regular game over screen from one of the needed characters, featuring the enemy they need to die to and what floor they need to do it on.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal

Codiekitty posted:

Although it's useless since everyone already knows about The Lost I'm still curious to know what the completed puzzle looks like, but I can't find anything about it. I guess nobody ever worked on it.

I'm with you on this, would be nice to see what those screens actually looked like when put together. I understand the community was pretty close to completing things anyway before the dataminers accelerated the process, so I'm sure there'll be a lot of the pieces out there.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Does luck stat affect drop rates?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

omeg posted:

Does luck stat affect drop rates?

Yes, and the quality of the drops. I had a run where my luck went way past the visible marks and I would get a chest or gold chest every room.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Yup. By about 3 bars of luck you're looking at guaranteed drops in every room. Higher means those drops will be chests. I'm pretty sure it can even cause multiple items to drop per room.

I'm pretty sure hard mode is a global decrease multiplier on all luck related rolls, rather than a flat one time decrease.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
On the Isaac wiki:

Someone actually thinks this??

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

cryptoclastic posted:

Unlock the lost. Those deaths will come easily.

Is that an app of some sort you used to show you what you were missing? If so, would you mind sharing it? I don't think I have much left, but it would be nice to know exactly what I need.

Yeah, it's this neat app called mspaint :v:

For whatever reason I want to get plat god before moving on to the Lost.

Also, does anyone know the drop rate of Steven from the boss is? It's astronomically low.

MatildaTheHun fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 15, 2015

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Power of Pecota posted:

I finally decided to unlock The Lost on my second profile, and seeds still work. I didn't reset Azazel but I did reset once on Judas (accidentally picked up Guppy's Collar, didn't want to gently caress around with that).

Yea seeds definitely weren't working for me. The wiki also said this was the case for some people. I just did it all seedless and unlocked him no problem - the only one that took a lot of resets was isaac's mollyboom death anyway.

I did die a few times on wrong things but you can actually just pause the game before the death screen comes up and safely reset while the game's paused.

edit: hahahhaa my first run as the lost started with holy mantle. You know what that means...

Zo fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 15, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Will getting a bandage girl from monster manual and sharp plug count for the achievement? I got super lucky to get a meat boy legit. I just need bandage girl, a couple of the bullshit challenges that I've been putting off because they're no fun, and probably a few items to get platinum god.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Will getting a bandage girl from monster manual and sharp plug count for the achievement? I got super lucky to get a meat boy legit. I just need bandage girl, a couple of the bullshit challenges that I've been putting off because they're no fun, and probably a few items to get platinum god.

Yes, and that's actually how most people do it. Meat Boy/Bandage Girl are like ripping your teeth out so if you're lucky enough to do one legit, please, save yourself the agony of that miniscule RNG chance and just cheat it in.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Interestingly, I've built both a handful of times since cheesing it with Monster Manual. I almost feel like the game is more inclined to continue to give you ball of bandages or meat cube after you've already gotten the first one.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Without even having the Book of Revelations on me, I encountered three horseman bosses in the Basement/Caves/Depths and somehow ended up with 3/4 of a Bandage Girl during a run earlier today.

Then the Womb didn't feature a horseman boss and I was sad. :(

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

SkeletonHero posted:

There are four, and each one is just a regular game over screen from one of the needed characters, featuring the enemy they need to die to and what floor they need to do it on.

Ah, really? That's a bit of a disappointment. I was picturing something off an Egyptian tomb wall with the character, the enemy, and the location.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So does anyone have a clue how Forget Me Now interacts with devil/angel rooms?

If I see a Devil Room on Caves 2, Catacombs 1 would normally have a 1/4 multiplier attached to the devil room spawn chance. But what happens if I pop the Forget Me Now after completing the floor?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Zo posted:

edit: hahahhaa my first run as the lost started with holy mantle. You know what that means...

Oh gently caress you. I'm on a streak of -80 or something with The Lost, and have only made it to the womb twice and died there quickly. That's with runs of holy mantel and dead cat, too. I'm just poo poo.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
GOD drat IT. is there any way to scroll through your current items, if there are more than the pause screen accommodates?

I just had an epic Eden run, but forgot I had picked up the Polaroid, not the negative, so when I later forgot which I picked, I ... I failed to get my easy Lamb kill due to a game-over after Satan.

If there's no way to "see all items" I should really add this as a feature request (tip: I won't).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If I get Holy Mantle or Black Cat I can win Lost, but otherwise it's iffy. It's really frustrating how absolutely those two items change the viability of a run for him.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
I was dreading trying to use Eden to get through the dark room on hard to fill out their card, but I'm feeling a bit more confident now after using the d100 to reroll myself monostro's lung, chocolate milk, lord of the flies, and ipecac.

e: Just waxed mega satan's diaper, destroying each of his forms in one shot.

Literal Nazi Furry fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 15, 2015

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Gromit posted:

Oh gently caress you. I'm on a streak of -80 or something with The Lost, and have only made it to the womb twice and died there quickly. That's with runs of holy mantel and dead cat, too. I'm just poo poo.

Hey no shame, I still had to get really lucky to finish that run.

I was still in caves 2 at 17 minutes and decided to try picking up boss rush, barely killed mom in time skipping two item rooms, and promptly procced my mantle on like the third wave. Definitely rear end clentch worthy. If boss rush room didn't have a book of shadows for killing the bloat (I can never fully dodge that fucker) it would have been over for sure. Didn't have dead cat.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The only time I have trouble in the Boss Rush as the Lost (remember, the Bloat can't shoot upwards) is against Death. Too many Hourglass into 4-way scythe combo deaths :(

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
My The Lost boss rush was possible thanks to a Monstro's lung + proptosis + rubber cement combo oneshotting everything

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Jibo posted:

Interestingly, I've built both a handful of times since cheesing it with Monster Manual. I almost feel like the game is more inclined to continue to give you ball of bandages or meat cube after you've already gotten the first one.

I've only seen Bandage Girl built out of cubes once in all my runs. Was playing at a friend's house and, got the Book of Revelations on the first floor. We'd both read somewhere that BoR removes the chance for Conquest to show up so we carried it all the way to the Womb for the hell of it.

Reading the Isaac Wiki now, it says Conquest still has a chance of showing up, though. I guess we were lucky. Or the Wiki's wrong.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Congratulations Dr Fetus, you ruined another fun d100 run.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Gromit posted:

You will get better. When I started my Lost runs last week I could barely make it to Basement 2 to even see my first devil deal. Now I can make it that far pretty consistently unless The Haunt is involved. After a day or so I eventually got to The Womb with Dead Cat/Holy Mantle. I just had a run today, though, where I made it all the way to the Womb without either Dead Cat or Holy Mantle. I did get some pretty okay items that run, but nothing super crazy.

Just keep doing runs, and don't be afraid to reset if you just complete loving bullshit drops like HP Ups and Tiny Planet for your first 2-3 floors. I don't like start scumming generally, but The Lost needs at least damage ups in order to be viable. On the early floors, I think the damage upgrades are actually more important than Dead Cat or Holy Mantle. Dead Cat and Holy Mantle are better for later, but at the beginning you need to minimize your time dodging poo poo.

That's been the consistent thing I've noticed. I've had Dead Cat/Mantle Runs fizzle out really early because I just didn't have the damage to take poo poo out quick enough. If you have even just one or two small damage upgrades it makes a big difference in being able to maybe clear out a few enemies before they wake up after the room transition.

I really like The Lost. It really changes the way I play the game, and I feel like I have learned a lot about the effects of different items. Since you do so many runs against the same Basement enemies you get a real sense of how much damage you're doing, and when certain items might be useful. I wouldn't mind if he started with more damage to balance him a bit, but I don't mind it too much the way it is now.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ErIog posted:

unless The Haunt is involved

The haunt consistently did like 2-3 hits to me before I figured out how to deal with the little assholes - dodge so that they are flying into the wall, and backpedal. This puts them directly in front of you and you can just continuously shoot them. It also prevents them from circling around (since they are flying into the wall and toward you). I haven't been hit once by the haunt, even with no damage upgrades, since I started doing this.