Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

holy poo poo is there a series in existence that makes it easier to miss cool things?

SaGa? Those games make it easy to miss quests if you do too many random battles.

Also FF10-2 and 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Gamma Nerd posted:

SaGa? Those games make it easy to miss quests if you do too many random battles.

Minstrel Song has a sidequest you can't even get until your third playthrough IIRC. It's kinda weird and full of strange stuff like that.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
SaGa games were kind of designed in a way that people aren't supposed to look at FAQs ever, which is impractical of course for pretty much everyone posting in a forum! It's their whole "make up your own adventure!" take on the genre, which I guess still works for people who do opt to never look at the FAQs. I know I had a grand time in Minstrel Song and don't care that I missed side quests when I finished the game.

The Growlanser stuff are legit gripes though, because they don't really write good enough replacement content for what you are missing. I had a similar gripe about Growlanser 2 when I said to myself "okay I'll replay this game maybe one more time but not five times" or whatever.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Rascyc posted:

SaGa games were kind of designed in a way that people aren't supposed to look at FAQs ever, which is impractical of course for pretty much everyone posting in a forum! It's their whole "make up your own adventure!" take on the genre, which I guess still works for people who do opt to never look at the FAQs. I know I had a grand time in Minstrel Song and don't care that I missed side quests when I finished the game.

Yeah, I like the attitude they encourage that there's no right way to play the game. Starting a new file and doing things totally differently has a nice roguelike feeling.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Are there any complete English fan translations for the Romancing Saga games? I've never understood why the loving Sailor Moon RPG has a full translation, but every Saga project seems to have stalled out halfway years ago.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Erebus posted:

Are there any complete English fan translations for the Romancing Saga games? I've never understood why the loving Sailor Moon RPG has a full translation, but every Saga project seems to have stalled out halfway years ago.

Minstrel Song is an official translation, if that counts.

I also think there's a complete one of RS3 but I'm not 100% sure on it, and it may be low quality.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Erebus posted:

a patch for RS1 came out just recently, and there's a somewhat shoddy but still complete patch for rs3. 2, sadly, remains moonspeak

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cake Attack posted:

pcsx2 crashed during the wolfgang path and destroyed my save states and regular saves are broken so i had nothing and just read the lp

Aw junk, it's too bad you lost your save. You can't get any of endings with the guys unless the game records you have having seen all the chicks' endings first.

Prism posted:

Minstrel Song is an official translation, if that counts.

I love Minstrel Song, but some of the poo poo they added is more opaque than the original game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished Suikoden 2, the story is not really all that much better than the first game but it was still a fun game with good sequel amenities. I don't really get why they made it look like Jowy was taking orders from some ninja when it turned out Jowy did everything himself because he was a Dude With Ambitions, also maybe leknaat should have showed up in one of his dreams and been like "hey what the gently caress, stop that" instead of letting Jowy join up with a dude who's like, hey whatsup wanna help me massacre an entire town to feed a blood ritual, pretty cool right. But thats all water under the bridge, Jowy, lets go journey and be pals and leave this country in a hosed up mess that we created wheee

I can get the third game for $20 from local nerd store but I may just wait it out to see if I can get it cheaper from eBay because the 3D suikodens don't really look anything like the 2D ones in terms of visuals or fast paced battles.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I'm kind of interested in giving a SaGa game a shot. Is the ps2 Romancing SaGa the stongest one?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

Finished Suikoden 2, the story is not really all that much better than the first game but it was still a fun game with good sequel amenities. I don't really get why they made it look like Jowy was taking orders from some ninja when it turned out Jowy did everything himself because he was a Dude With Ambitions, also maybe leknaat should have showed up in one of his dreams and been like "hey what the gently caress, stop that" instead of letting Jowy join up with a dude who's like, hey whatsup wanna help me massacre an entire town to feed a blood ritual, pretty cool right. But thats all water under the bridge, Jowy, lets go journey and be pals and leave this country in a hosed up mess that we created wheee

I can get the third game for $20 from local nerd store but I may just wait it out to see if I can get it cheaper from eBay because the 3D suikodens don't really look anything like the 2D ones in terms of visuals or fast paced battles.

The bearers of the Bright Shield and Black Sword runes are destined to fight each other, that's just how it goes. Leknaat wouldn't intervene because that's what's supposed to happen. She takes a much more passive role in the rest of the series than she did in the first game, so this is the norm, not the exception.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I can't get over how amazing Wild ARMs XF's soundtrack is. Even by Wild ARMs standards it's just spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lKyFtdzjqw

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I'm kind of interested in giving a SaGa game a shot. Is the ps2 Romancing SaGa the stongest one?

I'm not a big fan of SaGa, but I liked SaGa Frontier 2 a lot. It's apparently the least SaGa-y of the bunch, though.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Isnt the PS2 Romancing Saga obtuse and stupid and dumb?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Isnt the PS2 Romancing Saga obtuse and stupid and dumb?

You can say that about the whole series, but you're probably thinking about Unlimited Saga: the game with hours of youtube videos you have to watch to have a clue what's going on.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

dis astranagant posted:

You can say that about the whole series, but you're probably thinking about Unlimited Saga: the game with hours of youtube videos you have to watch to have a clue what's going on.
Ah, yeah, that's the one. And yes, I meant orders of magnitude more obtuse than normal SaGa. :P

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
There's what they call a sense of discovery and there's just outirght obtuseness. I love SaGa games but they really need to at the very least explains their core concepts, like how battles make time go forward in Minstrel Song.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
guys i think fire emblem will be on handhelds forever now

this is probably the correct place for it

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The best SaGa game is The Last Remnant (PC Version). It totally counts.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

hubris.height posted:

We get feet now as well. Mind blown! I hope feet are n3ds only feature just to see the bitching ;).

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

hubris.height posted:

The way things are going all your favorite RPGs will be phone only by 2017.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

That would be way too convenient since everyone has a phone. They'll be on mobile in Japan and PS Vita 2 only in the US (if they make it here).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

That would be way too convenient since everyone has a phone. They'll be on mobile in Japan and PS Vita 2 only in the US (if they make it here).

Having only RPGs without good controls wouldn't be very convenient.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

HGH posted:

gently caress you

this is the nightmare that wakes me up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night

gently caress you

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I almost always play Fire Emblem games on casual because I don't understand the attraction of permadeath. Does this make me a Bad Person?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i don't think so but some people do

i play on classic and then grind a ton so much that it doesn't even matter that its on classic

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MockingQuantum posted:

I almost always play Fire Emblem games on casual because I don't understand the attraction of permadeath. Does this make me a Bad Person?

I like casual because I'll just restart on classic anyway if I lose someone. Casual makes it feel like Shining Force and that's A Good Thing.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

MockingQuantum posted:

I play on casual hard mode because I like a challenge but I've played the earlier FE games enough to be completely loving sick of restarting a chapter when some generic mook gets a lucky hit. :shobon:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

MockingQuantum posted:

everyone who doesn't just restarts when they have a character die, so you're really having a lot more fun that people who dont play on casual. i'm curious if anyone has ever decided to just play the game and not mind if people die...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fe is a different and worse game experience without permadeath, imo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

everyone who doesn't just restarts when they have a character die, so you're really having a lot more fun that people who dont play on casual. i'm curious if anyone has ever decided to just play the game and not mind if people die...

Iron man runs are actually really fun in Fire emblem.

Also, can't you just casually suicide your units against enemies without permadeath being on?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Casual and restarting are still not the same.

Casual allows you to use brute force tactics that straight-up wouldn't work even if you're restarting on death.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

The issue with Casual is that Fire Emblem's difficulty is balanced around the idea that the player loses if any of his characters die. Not one Fire Emblem map has ever been actually hard to win, the point has always been to make them hard to win without losing anyone.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Here. I figure the game's suppose to be balanced around the idea of you losing people every so often, so I usually just roll with it.

Whereas my buddy will not only restart if he loses anyone, but also tries to keep everyone equally levelled so that no one falls behind.

ImpAtom posted:

Casual allows you to use brute force tactics that straight-up wouldn't work even if you're restarting on death.

I watched an LP of some guy who'd brute forced casual'ed his way through the game. It was a horrid thing to behold.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

ImpAtom posted:

I don't play on casual but you better believe it that I restart the map if somebody dies.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I played on Casual because I didnt want to restart if I lost someone, but I still tried to play as if someone dying was bad and not just an inconvenience. Its hard to break the habit after playing so much FE before. :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shark Tower posted:

Whereas my buddy will not only restart if he loses anyone, but also tries to keep everyone equally levelled so that no one falls behind.

Keeping folks equally leveled is unfortunately kind of a sucker's game. The way stats work in FE having one unit with high stats is better than two units with lower stats. It's also the reason pairing is so crazy OP.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

HGH posted:

... and they'll all be F2P with turn counters.

Bring back the PS2 glory days please. :(

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

Fe is a different and worse game experience without permadeath, imo

This is part of the reason I never cared for Shining Force along with crap AI and bad unit balance. I beat every map by loading my team with centaur knights, healers, and the werewolf, and steamrolling from one end to the other.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've never played a Fire Emblem game but is it like Final Fantasy Tactics where story important characters are immortal until their plot is over or do they actually alter the story for dead characters?

Because I totally didn't care if people died permanently in FFT but if it's the other way around I sure as hell would be restarting the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

al-azad posted:

I've never played a Fire Emblem game but is it like Final Fantasy Tactics where story important characters are immortal until their plot is over or do they actually alter the story for dead characters?

Because I totally didn't care if people died permanently in FFT but if it's the other way around I sure as hell would be restarting the game.

Story important characters can die in terms of game mechanics, but will still stick around in the plot.