Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Male Robin. Biker Wario. Non-ranking officer Toad. I finally understand the song Cruel Summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

MaxDuo posted:

Goons I slept late and jus tstarted watching the Direct a little while ago. I want to give Iwata a hug.

Also drat Nintendo for starting the Wii Game downloads. I don't actually have any of the 3 games announced and now I'm probably buying them all on release, due to the half off thing (Especially Metroid Prime Trilogy!)

Is DKCR good? I'll get the other two things but I'm not really sure about that one.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Wait I'm not sure I understand this downloadable Wii game stuff (because I'm at work and can't watch the Direct).

Let's assume (correctly) that the only controller I own is the gamepad. Can I play these Wii games just fine? Could I play them using the screen on the gamepad?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Von Linus posted:

Is DKCR good? I'll get the other two things but I'm not really sure about that one.

not only will you be forced to use waggle but youll also be ignoring the non waggle 3D version so the Wii version of DKCR is completely worthless. I personally never had problems with the waggle but people are generally spazzoids who hate it

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

Wait I'm not sure I understand this downloadable Wii game stuff (because I'm at work and can't watch the Direct).

Let's assume (correctly) that the only controller I own is the gamepad. Can I play these Wii games just fine? Could I play them using the screen on the gamepad?

Not sure, they said SOME games that you were able to use the classic controller for will be able to and then didn't elaborate further.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DKCR is really loving good. Be warned that it's aimed at people who want a very difficult platformer though, it's much faster and crueler than the SNES games.

Edit: the waggle is pretty negligible (it's like Mario Galaxy's spin attack in terms of intrusiveness) and it looks and runs better than the 3DS version.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 14, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Von Linus posted:

It's drat good.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Kaubocks posted:

As far as I'm aware, no. Punch Out, maybe, but both Galaxy 2 and Prime Trilogy make heavy use of the Wiimote (and I don't know why you'd ever want to play the Prime games without pointer control).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Does gamepad support mean that I can use it as a classic controller for Wii VC?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Kaubocks posted:

It's looking like the answer is probably no, that the Gamepad will only work as a controller for games that used the Classic (which none of this first wave do). We'll have to see what the eShop says when SMG2 goes up.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

MinibarMatchman posted:

not only will you be forced to use waggle but youll also be ignoring the non waggle 3D version so the Wii version of DKCR is completely worthless. I personally never had problems with the waggle but people are generally spazzoids who hate it

On the flip side the Wii version runs at a higher resolution and at 60 FPS.

The correct answer is to play the Wii version with the Classic Controller patch.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

RyokoTK posted:

But it's Male Robin. :cry:

And I like Male Robin the most out of the two so that's great!

On that note, I knew the amiibo would be Male Robin only when I saw that we didn't get female Villager and Male Wii Fit Trainer amiibos.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think Project Treasure was my favourite part of the Direct

Harada is the best

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013
Splatoon is a cute game and Im gonna get it and be a cute gamer

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just remembered that Muramasa is CC compatible and I don't own a Vita so this owns, can play muramasa offscreen now

poo poo so does No More Heroes 2, nice

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaubocks posted:

Not any of these games. You'll just have to wait til something with Classic Controller support gets announced.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I hope everyone who plays this if it comes out on Wii U at least makes an attempt to play while sitting on the toilet while saving the game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'm pumped about the half price Wii VC titles for $10 instead of $20. I already have Galaxy 2, but I'll buy it just to have it digitally because the game is that good.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Apparently new rhythm heaven for 3DS announced on the JP Direct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sizap1jvoI8&t=44m8s

New minigames and minigames from all previous titles.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ultigonio posted:

Nah, I am, too, especially since I never had Prime Trilogy and soon I'll be able to get it for a shockingly low price. I dunno if the games will be getting a proper bump to 720p, but that would be great if they did.

I think the Wii U upscales Wii games to at least 720p, if not 1080p, but you're still dealing with the original textures designed for a 480p output. However, this doesn't matter in Super Mario Galaxy 2 nor Metroid Prime Trilogy's case, because both look great when played in Wii mode. They're still obviously previous-gen-looking, but it's hardly a complaint.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

That still doesn't tell me how much it is, and how much the Majora's Bundle will be.

It tells you it will be 200-220$?

Artix posted:

According to PSN in the other thread, $200 for the New XL, $230 for the MH/MM bundles.

Shocking.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

just remembered that Muramasa is CC compatible and I don't own a Vita so this owns, can play muramasa offscreen now

I could be mistaken, but I believe that it's only the download versions that can use the gamepad and that it doesn't apply to disc games.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Not any of these games. You'll just have to wait til something with Classic Controller support gets announced.
I hope everyone who plays this if it comes out on Wii U at least makes an attempt to play while sitting on the toilet while saving the game.

I don't think it matters if it's announced or not, sounds like we can just play whatever physical discs compatible with CC on the gamepad now. of course if this isn't true then it would be the worst goddamn thing imaginable since I imagine it would take only a patch to make the gamepad poo poo work.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

zolthorg posted:

It tells you it will be 200-220$?

Shocking.

The MM3D is only $200. But it doesn't have the game.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There are some games that never had Classic controller support but probably should have, and it would be nuts to re-release those without supporting the Gamepad and Pro. Like NSMBWii and DKCR.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ah, thanks for the clarification guys. Shame about the gamepad though. I can understand it would be waaaaaaaaaay too much work to convert motion controls to gamepad controls, but still I'm stubborn and really don't want to buy any wiimotes or anything.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

100 old games, 30 new ones.

MinibarMatchman posted:

I don't think it matters if it's announced or not, sounds like we can just play whatever physical discs compatible with CC on the gamepad now

No, that is explicitly not what they announced. The use of the pad as the CC is explicitly stated to be for these and future new digital versions only.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

On the flip side the Wii version runs at a higher resolution and at 60 FPS.

The correct answer is to play the Wii version with the Classic Controller patch.

Is that a nintendo patch or some sort of hack? I'm too old to be modding things.

Also thanks for DKCR feedback people.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

The MM3D is only $200. But it doesn't have the game.

The next Nintendo handheld will launch at 200$ and the next Nintendo console will launch at 300$

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DrPaper posted:

100 old games, 30 new ones.

No, that is explicitly not what they announced. The use of the pad as the CC is explicitly stated to be for these and future new digital versions only.

lol jesus loving christ.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Von Linus posted:

Is that a nintendo patch or some sort of hack? I'm too old to be modding things.

Also thanks for DKCR feedback people.

It's a hack.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Kurtofan posted:

Please release this in the west, please release this in the west, please release this in the west

Von Linus posted:

It's a hack, yeah.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Kurtofan posted:

[Super Smash Brothers 4 starts to walk away but then turns around with Thriller eyes]

Electromax
May 6, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

lol jesus loving christ.

That was the whole point of the "Wii mode on Wii U" vs "these games sidestep Wii mode" part of the presentation - your discs can't sidestep Wii mode

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kurtofan posted:

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's looking like the answer is probably no, that the Gamepad will only work as a controller for games that used the Classic (which none of this first wave do). We'll have to see what the eShop says when SMG2 goes up.

It's up in Europe at least. It DOES allow off-TV play, but Wiimote+Nunchuk is required. So like the current Wii mode.
E: Wow, I was late.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I want this to be the name of the thread somehow.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Kurtofan posted:

Wrestler is back. Hell yeah! :colbert:

I can watch this all day... :allears:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I can't watch it because it's not on the beat and that bothers me excessively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If there's a downside to the "great Wii games for $10" news it's that we're not getting hd remasters of Prime or Galaxy anytime soon.

• Locked thread