Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
much as sanae's cards reference her divine patrons, it's not beyond reason that marisa would have a last word that calls on aspects of another character, especially given her tendency to steal and cause trouble. i am perfectly content with the final boss being the toilet ghost.

for those not of you not familiar, the hanako legend (hanako punishes those who act inappropriately in the lavatory) is not some fable spun out of whole cloth but is rather the last degenerate echo of the prewar shinto deity kawaya no kami.

plenty of silly toilet-associated monsters (e.g. akaname, nopperabo, redpaper/bluepaper who appears in one of nue's spellcards, etc.) popped up during the romantic 19th century when hundreds of ahistorical youkai were spun out of thin air by japanese and western authors eager to cash in the on the folklore fad sweeping the globe. distinct from these pale inventions, kawaya no kami is of great antiquity and is the consubstantial gongen emanation of the near eastern sulak.

kawaya no kami (sometimes called mawaya no kami) was a threatening kami, held to either protect or attack squat toilet users depending on their behavior. those who incurred the wrath of kawaya no kami would have their genitals attacked by the spirit and might have deformed or mentally ill children.

under the honji suijaku paradigm continental buddhas and demons were held to manifest as native kami, and after honji suijaku went into decline it was taken into in gensokyo (as discussed in double spoiler). gensokyo honji suijaku is feminizing (e.g. takeminakata -> suwako) and consequently the feminized aspect of kawaya no kami, hanako, is the one that reentered the normal world at some point in the past 50 years. hanako, kawaya no kami and sulak are so closely aligned in attributes that their consubstantiality is beyond debate.

sulak, also known as the "hitter" or "penis hitter", is one of the rabisu, or "lurkers on the threshold", demons who inhabited the interfaces between constructed buildings and the outer world: doorways, roofs and latrine pits. sulak resided in the privy and attacked the mouths and genitals of those who behaved rowdily or went in with dirty hands. all spirits were held to be able to invoke seizures but the rabisu were more fearsome than normal ghosts as they could cause permanent injury. sulak's special power was inducing unilateral paralysis or hemiparesis. sylvester stallone and ralph nader are sulak victims; stallone's unsanitary bathroom practices are well documented, e.g. in demolition man, while nader's excretory misdeeds can only be guessed at. sulak's touch also resulted the birth of epileptic or deformed children.

sulak was feared throughout the ancient world and the tannaim rabbis who provided the first commentary on the mishnah extensively discussed how to avoid his grasp. rabbis ami and assi recommend being quiet and modest while in the latrine. rabbi akiva prescribed facing north and wiping with the left hand (sulak exclusively paralyzed the right side of the body) but he was censured by rabbi ben azzai since akiva he had determined this by secretly observing the saintly rabbi yehoshua as he relieved himself. a contradictory anecdote is also given in which it is ben azzai who observes rabbi akiva in the toilet.

the danger was especially severe for those who used the privy alone. as a child rabbi abaye always went into the latrine accompanied by a sheep (goats are not effective against sulak since they have demonic features). rava's wife would touch him on the head through a hole in the wall so that he would not be alone.

i hope that this has shed some light on hanako and the sort of attack set we can expect from her in ULiL:

- surprise genital attacks
- seizures resulting in paralysis of the right side of the body
- opponents' childen are born deformed
- vulnerable to sheep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
So what you're saying is that her moveset will be amazing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

brave nazi aviator posted:

much as sanae's cards reference her divine patrons, it's not beyond reason that marisa would have a last word that calls on aspects of another character, especially given her tendency to steal and cause trouble. i am perfectly content with the final boss being the toilet ghost.

For what it's worth, the Last Words in this game aren't actually spellcards at all. They don't have the quotes around the name, and are written like excited anime episode titles. Or advertisements or something.

..also Sanae's cards don't reference her divine patrons anyway. They reference various miracles from across history. Only one of which happens to be Yasaka.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

famous japanese deity moses

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
You saying the Red Sea isn't in Japan?

Speaking of miracles, I remember when of her moves used to be mistranslated as "Night of the Supernova Star". I seriously want to know what was going through the head of whoever wrote that.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
So the new character is going to be a ghost?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

I didn't say Japanese history...

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

HGH posted:

You saying the Red Sea isn't in Japan?

Speaking of miracles, I remember when of her moves used to be mistranslated as "Night of the Supernova Star". I seriously want to know what was going through the head of whoever wrote that.

There have been a fair few nights where supernova have been clearly visible, tbf.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

There have been a fair few nights where supernova have been clearly visible, tbf.

The word used refers to any star (ie: light in the sky) that's only visible temporarily. While normally these would be comets or something, a supernova would probably also qualify. It's just overly specific and not really what's implied. My guess is that the translator was familiar with it being used to refer to a supernova and based it on that. Or they made some assumption about what a "bright" guest star would have to be. Although now that I look at it, isn't the night supposed to be the bright thing, rather than the star?

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

Clarste posted:

..also Sanae's cards don't reference her divine patrons anyway. They reference various miracles from across history. Only one of which happens to be Yasaka.

what would you consider 'Frog Sign "Wily Toad"' to be referring to

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

brave nazi aviator posted:

what would you consider 'Frog Sign "Wily Toad"' to be referring to

Obviously those tornadoes that pick up frogs and rain them down on the populace later.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

yes, moses is buried on mount houdatsu in ishikawa

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

HGH posted:

It might have just been a mistake, but probably what they were thinking is: "'客星' is a Chinese term that doesn't have an idiomatic equivalent in English, and the direct translation - 'guest star' - already has a different meaning, and is only used in a completely different context (television). That would sound silly, so I'll have to come up with something else that conveys the right feeling."

Clarste posted:

Although now that I look at it, isn't the night supposed to be the bright thing, rather than the star?
It's complicated. I ran this by a native-speaking friend, and she says it can be read that way, with "客星" simply modifying "明るい夜" in the obvious way, for something like "bright night with guest star(s)". But you can also read it with "客星の明るい" as a single unit, yielding something like "night made-bright-by-guest-star(s)". That said, it wouldn't change how you translate it, and it wouldn't change that yes, ultimately it's the night that's bright, not the stars (unless it's both).

Apparently the structure is confusing even to a native speaker, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Nages posted:

So the new character is going to be a ghost?

Yeah, Hanako is the code-name for Mima, rising from the toilet of the PC-98.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
The wiki currently has「客星の明るい夜」translated to "Night with Bright Guest Stars", which is somehow even worse. It sounds like a pinterest post about black pudding.

FractalSandwich posted:

It might have just been a mistake, but probably what they were thinking is: "'客星' is a Chinese term that doesn't have an idiomatic equivalent in English, and the direct translation - 'guest star' - already has a different meaning, and is only used in a completely different context (television). That would sound silly, so I'll have to come up with something else that conveys the right feeling."
Well, there's two idiomatic equivalents depending on the era. They used to be called [stella nova], and would now be called [stellar transient]. For a non-scientific character like Sanae, the first is probably better.

FractalSandwich posted:

It's complicated. I ran this by a native-speaking friend, and she says it can be read that way, with "客星" simply modifying "明るい夜" in the obvious way, for something like "bright night with guest star(s)". But you can also read it with "客星の明るい" as a single unit, yielding something like "night made-bright-by-guest-star(s)". That said, it wouldn't change how you translate it, and it wouldn't change that yes, ultimately it's the night that's bright, not the stars (unless it's both).
The great thing about source ambiguity is, you can get away with an ambiguous translation!

"Bright Night Nova" or "Nova-Brightened Night" would be straightforward. If the text needs to be longer to fit the screen, maybe "Evening by the Glow of a Nova" or even "[...] a New Star".

The next card is「客星の明るすぎる夜」and features the oh-so-elegant translation "Night with Overly Bright Guest Stars". If we want to match the new translation of the first card, that would become something like "Blinding Night Nova", "Nova-Blinded Night", or "Evening by the Glare of a Nova".

---

I think a lot of ja->en translators run into problems because either English is their second language, or they slept through English class in university. There are so many clunky translations that could be vastly improved by choosing more specific, less commonly used words.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

The wiki currently has「客星の明るい夜」translated to "Night with Bright Guest Stars", which is somehow even worse. It sounds like a pinterest post about black pudding.

Well, there's two idiomatic equivalents depending on the era. They used to be called [stella nova], and would now be called [stellar transient]. For a non-scientific character like Sanae, the first is probably better.

Sanae is totally a scientific character. She describes herself as a science person (as opposed to an art person). She's a nerd.

quote:

The great thing about source ambiguity is, you can get away with an ambiguous translation!

"Bright Night Nova" or "Nova-Brightened Night" would be straightforward. If the text needs to be longer to fit the screen, maybe "Evening by the Glow of a Nova" or even "[...] a New Star".

The next card is「客星の明るすぎる夜」and features the oh-so-elegant translation "Night with Overly Bright Guest Stars". If we want to match the new translation of the first card, that would become something like "Blinding Night Nova", "Nova-Blinded Night", or "Evening by the Glare of a Nova".

You're totally missing the point that this isn't actually about novas in the first place. The word normally refers to comets, but it's fairly broad.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Clarste posted:

Sanae is totally a scientific character. She describes herself as a science person (as opposed to an art person). She's a nerd.
Not to the same extent as, say, Nitori. Sanae speaks in terms of miracles and summonings, not astrophysics and chemistry. She's not the type that would break out into modern jargon for her cards.

Clarste posted:

You're totally missing the point that this isn't actually about novas in the first place. The word normally refers to comets, but it's fairly broad.
And you're missing the point of my post. The terms [new star] or [nova stella] refer to any temporary luminous heavenly object, and [nova] in its Touhou-era-context was not restricted to the explosive events modern astronomers mean by [nova].

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 16, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Not to the same extent as, say, Nitori. Sanae speaks in terms of miracles and summonings, not astrophysics and chemistry. She's not the type that would break out into modern jargon for her cards.

And neither is Nitori, because cards are based mostly on their "power" rather than generally about the character. Nitori uses "water" and Sanae uses "miracles", despite the fact that when you talk to them normally Sanae likes to talk about the impossibility of cold fusion while Nitori talks about "the pulse of the river". Sanae is more scientific than Nitori.

quote:

And you're missing the point of my post. The terms [new star] or [nova stella] refer to any temporary luminous heavenly object, and [nova] in its Touhou-era-context was not restricted to the explosive events modern astronomers mean by [nova].

Hmm, yes, I realized my mistake after I posted. To be fair though, it is literally impossible to find out what Stella Nova meant historically because a google search will only turn up a billion different SF clubs named after it. And in a translation context, having the reader know what the heck you're talking about is perhaps the most important thing. Nova meaning "new star", and in the actual star sense as opposed to "light in the sky" is probably too ingrained.

Also Sanae is a modern girl so why the heck would she be familiar with pre-19th century science?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 16, 2015

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Clarste posted:

And neither is Nitori, because cards are based mostly on their "power" rather than generally about the character. Nitori uses "water" and Sanae uses "miracles", despite the fact that when you talk to them normally Sanae likes to talk about the impossibility of cold fusion while Nitori talks about "the pulse of the river". Sanae is more scientific than Nitori.
Sanae fights by waving a mystical stick. Nitori is inspector gadget. Are you really going to say Sanae's a more scientific character because she used to watch cartoons about giant robots?

Clarste posted:

And in a translation context, having the reader know what the heck you're talking about is perhaps the most important thing. Nova meaning "new star", and in the actual star sense as opposed to "light in the sky" is probably too ingrained.

Also Sanae is a modern girl so why the heck would she be familiar with pre-19th century science?
A nova is not actually the birth of a star. We only call it a new star because to someone looking up at the sky it's literally a star that was not there last night. For translating a poetic phrase, it's important to NOT be 100% technically accurate about terminology lest you end up with "Bright Night of the Unpredicted Transient Visible Astronomical Object" and the official titles give us enough of those translation trainwrecks already.

She did go to school until at least mid-teens, so she would have had science and/or history class that covered "what's all those shining things in the sky when I go camping?".

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Sanae literally lectures about nuclear fusion.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Sanae is literally a geek and a nerd, through and through.

Nitori is a mad scientist but in a time when steam power is probably the greatest thing.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I could lecture about Liquid Flouride Thorium Reactors and their fuel cycles, but sure as hell I'd consider myself less of a scientist than -to drive the analogy home- an actual engineer.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Sanae fights by waving a mystical stick. Nitori is inspector gadget. Are you really going to say Sanae's a more scientific character because she used to watch cartoons about giant robots?

Clarste already mentioned Sanae talking about cold fusion, but I seem to remember her talking about scientific concepts at other times in the mangas as well. There's also Kanako bringing nuclear energy to Gensokyo and rebranding herself as a science and technology deity so you can see where she would be influenced to be more scientific-minded about things. Nitori and the Kappa meanwhile are more like wacky inventors and tinkerers who just try different things at nigh-random until it works.

Basically, Sane is more of a physicist and Nitori is an engineer.

fake-edit:

Sanae is a turbo-nerd. In the same chapter she suggests that at parties instead of drinking, people should have rational and constructive discussions.

real-edit: I mean I guess she's more someone who loved physics and chemistry in school than an actual scientist, but she's definitely very scientific-minded because of it.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 16, 2015

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Clarste posted:

To be fair though, it is literally impossible to find out what Stella Nova meant historically because a google search will only turn up a billion different SF clubs named after it.

I'm not sure if you're referring to the English etymology of 'nova', but you can certainly find information about that:

Wiktionary posted:

Etymology
Feminine nominative singular of the Latin adjective novus (new). The feminine is used since the Latin word for star, stella is feminine; thus nova is a shortening of nova stella (new star).

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I wonder if Dutch, Portuguese, and Americans will appear in an upcoming Touhou game.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Depends, we never did figure out exactly where Remilia was from.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I really hope the Touhou Smash devs wakes up to the fact that trying to crowdfund the game is wrong before things get any more out of hand. Or maybe the $20,000 they've already earned is blinding them.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
We still don't really know why an European vampire decided the rear end-end of Japan was a good place to set up shop in.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

We still don't really know why an European vampire decided the rear end-end of Japan was a good place to set up shop in.

Because Gensokyo is where supernatural little girls with discerning taste in headgear end up. Where else are you gonna go if you're cute Dracula in a hat?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Considering English Hobgoblins exist and Yukari imported them, I like to imagine there's some other haven like Avalon or something similar across the world.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

leather fedora posted:

I really hope the Touhou Smash devs wakes up to the fact that trying to crowdfund the game is wrong before things get any more out of hand. Or maybe the $20,000 they've already earned is blinding them.

Well after the whole 3.3 million dollar incident, Zun does have the right to be skeptical.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

amuayse posted:

Well after the whole 3.3 million dollar incident, Zun does have the right to be skeptical.

Wait what? Did that Touhou cardgame kickstarter make that much before getting cancelled or is this about something else?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ZUN could probably become an easy millionaire by kickstarting the localization of touhou, since he's not making any money off of it in the west right now anyways and localization wouldn't be too much trouble to hire out to someone

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

ZUN could probably become an easy millionaire by kickstarting the localization of touhou, since he's not making any money off of it in the west right now anyways and localization wouldn't be too much trouble to hire out to someone
It seems more likely that he partners with a publisher (probably Playism) and they handle the localization and the English side of the Kickstarter. If it gets to that point, it would definitely make mad bank - it's as close as you can get to a sure bet - but ZUN and the publisher do have to come to some kind of agreement first. And ZUN seems like the kind of guy who's bad at business, knows he's bad at business, and doesn't want to get involved in business.

There's also the question of what they'd even be making. No-one is going to rerelease Embodiment of Scarlet Devil as-is in this day and age, so is the Kickstarter actually for some kind of Touhou HD Collection, which involves porting some or all of the older games to ZUN's current engine, and probably redoing a lot of the art and music?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

a cartoon duck posted:

Wait what? Did that Touhou cardgame kickstarter make that much before getting cancelled or is this about something else?
Tim Schafer's controversial Doublefine Project is what I was referring to

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
There's precedent for Japanese developers using Kickstarter, at least: La-Mulana 2 got $266K (goal was $200K). Are Kickstarters obligated to use all the money they get for the product? It's entirely possible that Zun could walk away with more money than he knows what to do with. And I daresay that Touhou is more well known that La-Mulana.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

HellCopter posted:

Are Kickstarters obligated to use all the money they get for the product?

No, there's a little thing called a profit margin.

The Starbound team had that problem trying to drill that into the heads of the more brainless of their kickstartees, and then they sort of gave up after their supporters started demanding pictures of the anus of the community manager.

But yeah, Zun could make hella good bank.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

Depends, we never did figure out exactly where Remilia was from.

I'm not sure why you'd expect someone with the name "Scarlet" to be anything but English. It's also confirmed in one of the FS omake that she writes letters in English (which is a standard "baffling foreign language" to Akyuu and Kosuzu).

Of course, the real answer is that ZUN didn't think about this at all when he designed her, and all foreigners speak English anyway.

WarpedNaba posted:

I could lecture about Liquid Flouride Thorium Reactors and their fuel cycles, but sure as hell I'd consider myself less of a scientist than -to drive the analogy home- an actual engineer.

Nitori is a magic-engineer though, not a science-engineer. She talks about the river being alive (in a literal sense), and most of her tools are just water manipulation. Also, the kappa blew up a mountain because they were too lazy to build a dam. I mean, it isn't wrong for an engineer to use what works, and magic would surely be considered a science in the modern world, but I'd say she's mostly ignorant of what we'd call scientific terminology. Heck, she didn't even know that seawater had salt in it: that's how ignorant of the outside world and its progress she is.

More generally, Kanako describes the kappa (and the tengu) as "imitating the trappings of" the outside world, rather than doing anything with understanding. She's no more an engineer than Aya is a journalist. And Aya thinks the text of her articles is irrelevant.

TL;DR: Sanae had a modern education, while Nitori is trapped in 19th century magic-land doing made up magitek based on rumors of the outside world.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 18, 2015

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Scarlet is a French word though, if you count it from 500 years ago as opposed to it's current corrupted form.

Eh, whatever. When's the next game due out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Hopefully not before next Comiket, if not the Winter one. I want them to take their time with that stuff.

leather fedora posted:

I've been following that scuffle for a bit now. While I don't really agree with what's happening, I think the Guidelines should really be reconsidered or be partly rewritten to take into account online and foreign distribution. Or at least be more concrete about those things. Times have changed.
I've seen a lot of developers and content creators go "We'd love to have our stuff on sale but the Guidelines forbid it".