Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Snowy posted:

He plays with the fretboard display upside down, like tabs. Is that a better way to do it? Seems to make sense, I might have to start doing that since I haven't been playing that long.

I would highly recommend it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Snowy posted:

I'm watching this guy streaming Rocksmith and taking requests. He just did 77% on Rush -Working Man, the first time he ever heard the song.

http://www.twitch.tv/gryphonboy

He plays with the fretboard display upside down, like tabs. Is that a better way to do it? Seems to make sense, I might have to start doing that since I haven't been playing that long.

I'd been playing a long time before Rocksmith, but I tried using it the default way to try it out and not be 'the guy who has to invert the controls' if I ever played it with other people.

In the end I switched to tab-style and it was like a weight had been lifted. There was like a bunch of mental translation going on subconsciously and it slowed everything down. There's enough going on in that interface without having to invert it in your brain!

Tab and score makes sense to me because the low notes are at the bottom, and the thin string on a guitar is 'the top string' even if it's physically nearer the ground, so having the interface like that works better for me. I mean that's how music has been written for centuries, possibly for good reason, but I can't tell since I always read it that way. It's worth a try I reckon, you'll probably know pretty quickly if it feels better. Try it on a song you're not familiar with and see if you can learn a bit of lead guitar

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I play inverted, had previously used tab so that's probably why but honestly it's not something I had spent much time playing from. It just makes more sense to me that way. But play whatever you like best.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
I have mine set left-handed, low top-high bottom. :getin:

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Snowy posted:

I'm watching this guy streaming Rocksmith and taking requests. He just did 77% on Rush -Working Man, the first time he ever heard the song.

Why has this guy never heard Working Man before? :colbert:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

EvilChameleon posted:

Why has this guy never heard Working Man before? :colbert:

Ha yeah that's what someone in the chat said. He was funny and talented though, and made me realize I need to practice a lot more. I would have just turned the song off once the soloing kicks in but he kept up really well, considering.

Edit- also I'm trying to help a friend get customsforge cdlc to work on his Mac but apparently Yosemite has a conflict that makes customs crash the game. Anyone have any experience with that and/or know a fix?

Snowy fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 15, 2015

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Snowy posted:

Ha yeah that's what someone in the chat said. He was funny and talented though, and made me realize I need to practice a lot more. I would have just turned the song off once the soloing kicks in but he kept up really well, considering.

Edit- also I'm trying to help a friend get customsforge cdlc to work on his Mac but apparently Yosemite has a conflict that makes customs crash the game. Anyone have any experience with that and/or know a fix?

I can't help much, but I run Yosemite and custom cdlc just fine. Make sure Steam is running before you launch RSInjector, maybe?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I switched to inverted even as a beginner with no experience of tabs, and preferred it. Now I can read tabs outside RS without problem. I can't see why you would not want to use inverted.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 15, 2015

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I had been wanting to start learning bass for a long time, and a few months ago I came across this and bought a bass and this for PC. Ran into issues on my desktop (It has problems with non integrated audio...), so I can only play it on my laptop. It's cool to play and all, but there's around a quarter second delay and I can't really hear the bass itself on the laptop speakers. Are the console versions better in this regard?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
The console versions will be a bit more consistent across the board compared to the range of computers, so depending on your system it may be more playable. As long as you aren't doing audio over HDMI you should be fine, HDMI is pretty laggy.

Keep in mind that there are also a bunch of tweaks that you can do to reduce the audio latency on the PC version. There is a PDF file in the game directory with a bunch of things you can do, and an .ini file you can edit to fine tune the audio settings better than the game will auto-detect them.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Lumpy posted:

I can't help much, but I run Yosemite and custom cdlc just fine. Make sure Steam is running before you launch RSInjector, maybe?

This

and I run in windowed mode

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

toymach1ne posted:

Soundgarden Song Pack – $11.99

Soundgarden “Black Hole Sun” – Drop D: A455
Soundgarden “Fell On Black Days”
Soundgarden “Jesus Christ Pose” – Drop D
Soundgarden “Pretty Noose” – Custom Tuning (CGCGGE)
Soundgarden “Spoonman” – Drop D

drat. Came in. Saw this. No "Burden In My Hand"

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
At least Black Hole Sun is in one of those 1/4 step tunings that are such a pain to tune to so there's no need to ever play it...Gonna play the gently caress out of Pretty Noose though.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 15, 2015

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Er...would some kind lad point me in the direction of how to make the customforge DLs work (I'd be good with "oh, about 12 pages back,") or some other place?

Much appreciated.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
CustomsForge has a guide on setting up Rocksmith for customs here.

The general idea is easy though, assuming you're talking about PC.

- Download this file and place it in your Rocksmith 2014 root folder.
- Place any downloaded song _p.psarc files in your Rocksmith 2014\dlc folder.
- You're done. Customs will show up in-game sorted with Rocksmith 2014 DLC.

Keep in mind that you need to have at least one piece of official DLC in order to load custom songs. Nearly all of the custom songs use Cherub Rock since it was free to pre-orders, but if you don't have that song you'll be able to use the toolkit to change the custom to use another song. Customs won't replace, change or otherwise mess up the original song they're loading on.

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Gracias, amigo.

Always count on SA for the straight dope.

p.s. And yes, I was talking about the PC version via Steam; me am good at explanashuns

Dammit_Carl! fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 16, 2015

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Customsforge is really making the game for me. The game is great on its own but I wasn't really wild about much of the available music. There probably won't be a lot of official Fela Kuti dlc for example. And I found an Eyehategod song, pretty psyched about that.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Snowy posted:

Customsforge is really making the game for me. The game is great on its own but I wasn't really wild about much of the available music. There probably won't be a lot of official Fela Kuti dlc for example. And I found an Eyehategod song, pretty psyched about that.

Wish there was more Acid Bath

---

HInt for next week

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Day 17 of the 60 day challenge in the books. Well, 17 hours of actual guitar playing time anyways. I seriously can't believe how much this game is helping me not suck at this instrument! Seriously, this game has been way more productive than when I was taking lessons from a teacher!

The GF is actually beginning to recognize some of the songs that I play! Or at the very least, she says that my playing sounds like music now. She can now tell when the game upped the difficulty on me, too. I'll get 'thunks' and off sounding chords from the faster chord changes combined with more complex chords. Thank goodness the game has a riff repeater!

Snowy posted:

I really need to start actually using the customs I've been downloading. I'm put off by the fact that many of the customs seem to have only ~1-4 difficulty levels or so. I'm new to guitar, so I can't imagine enjoying these songs too much. Guess I ought to give these a whirl.

Also, I NEED some Fela Kuti songs!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dolemite posted:

I really need to start actually using the customs I've been downloading. I'm put off by the fact that many of the customs seem to have only ~1-4 difficulty levels or so. I'm new to guitar, so I can't imagine enjoying these songs too much. Guess I ought to give these a whirl.

Also, I NEED some Fela Kuti songs!

Yeah the difficulty thing is a downside but there's just so much I actually like that it's a lot more fun to play. Now I just wish there was a way to uninstall a lot of the official songs I already have that are just clogging it up.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
You should play those official songs. The songs you like aren't necessarily the best ones to learn from.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

toymach1ne posted:

You should play those official songs. The songs you like aren't necessarily the best ones to learn from.

That's completely true and it's the same advice I'm giving a friend that recently converted to the game. Still between buying the two games there's a bunch of extra stuff I don't even want to hear when scrolling through, but that's just me being bitchy I admit :v:

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Snowy posted:

That's completely true and it's the same advice I'm giving a friend that recently converted to the game. Still between buying the two games there's a bunch of extra stuff I don't even want to hear when scrolling through, but that's just me being bitchy I admit :v:

I could do without the A7X but everything else is alright I suppose... Still have never played that or Everlong

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013

Snowy posted:

Customsforge is really making the game for me. The game is great on its own but I wasn't really wild about much of the available music...

After a few Pillows songs, I'm so down with these statements.

Viva Customsforge!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

toymach1ne posted:

I could do without the A7X but everything else is alright I suppose... Still have never played that or Everlong

The paiiiiin.... of beeeing a man!!!!!!!!!

It's fun to play even if that bit makes me bust out laughing every single time. Everlong's pretty fun too, it's one of those riffs that just sounds good on one guitar

Do people play Score Attack much? It's actually more like the game's advanced mode, where you actually get challenged to play the song perfectly. It's really satisfying to nail something, and you can't get away with half-assing stuff like rhythm patterns or whatever - you need to actually know the song inside out

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I basically only play score attack to work toward achievements. The beep-boop sounds are pretty annoying and I really hate getting cheated out of a good streak/score because the note detection hiccuped.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Fina posted:

I basically only play score attack to work toward achievements. The beep-boop sounds are pretty annoying and I really hate getting cheated out of a good streak/score because the note detection hiccuped.

Options -> Sound -> Mixer -> Sound Effects - 0

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Pull-offs are loving hard when you have to do them with your pinky. I'm only like 5 hours into Rocksmith, and I've been working on Knights of Cydonia. I've got this riff at about 41%, and I'm having no problems with it except for the bit when I have to have my pinky on the 10th fret of the E string and then pull-off onto the 7th fret of the same string (where my index finger is perched). It's really drat annoying that my pinky doesn't have either the dexterity or the strength to pull it off right.

Are there pinky-only exercises I could/should be doing, either within Rocksmith or without? I find in general I rely too much on my ring finger to stretch out into the space I could be using my pinky, and I'm trying to nip that habit in the bud early on in my learning process.

Edit: and a more general question. For those doing the 60 day thing, or really just coming into this as a complete beginner, what does your normal session with Rocksmith look like in terms of length/types of things you do? Today was a fairly normal one for me, around 1-2 hours with the game, starting out with some lessons to get me warmed up (repeating some I've already done, then moving on to new ones). When I get frustrated with those after about a half hour, I'll move on to stuff in the Guitarcade for a bit, then after I while go to learn mode and gently caress around with songs. I'll do one that I know I can do pretty well, play it a few times to my satisfaction, then either move onto something new or start working on a song that I really want to learn personally (like, in this case, Knights of Cydonia).

Drone fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 17, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Muse songs are practically scale exercises as it is, so just get a metronome and practice sections over and over - whatever you're having difficulty with, start slow (and keep time) and just do it until you can do it perfectly. Then speed up a little. It's about building muscle memory as much as strength and dexterity, so just getting on with it will help!

I posted a trill exercise in this thread a while back if you want to click My Poasts, that'll help with general powering up

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Singles week for 1/20

Styx - Renegade
Dio - Rainbow in the Dark
Rick Derringer - Rock And Roll Hoochie Koo
Motorhead - Ace of Spades
???

toymach1ne fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 18, 2015

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
They should just do a Dio pack and be done with it - and I'd love every drat minute of it too.

I've got an CDLC issue that may be just bass specific (I've no guitar to see if this problem effects them as well), but I've a few songs where the "human played," bass starts normal sounding volume-wise but it quickly drops in audible volume a few seconds into the song. Specifically, this happens with a few of the Pillows songs I downloaded.

Curious if anyone else has had that problem.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Dammit_Carl! posted:

They should just do a Dio pack and be done with it - and I'd love every drat minute of it too.

I've got an CDLC issue that may be just bass specific (I've no guitar to see if this problem effects them as well), but I've a few songs where the "human played," bass starts normal sounding volume-wise but it quickly drops in audible volume a few seconds into the song. Specifically, this happens with a few of the Pillows songs I downloaded.

Curious if anyone else has had that problem.

I've had that issue with guitar, but usually just pausing the song and then choosing to resume fixes it for me.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

toymach1ne posted:

Singles week for 1/20

Styx - Renegade
???
???

Having just heard Roll With the Changes on the radio I was reminded of how loving awesome that song is. Here's hoping!

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dammit_Carl! posted:

I am not really familiar with Dio, but Holy Diver is a ton of fun to play in RS.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Holy Diver is a pretty sweet album, you should listen to it.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Chalupa Joe posted:

Holy Diver is a pretty sweet album, you should listen to it.

This man knows what he's talking about. Get you some Dio. The man is legendary.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

toymach1ne posted:

Singles week for 1/20

Styx - Renegade
Motorhead - Ace of Spades
???

Renegade and Rainbow in the Dark are both real fun to play, great pack!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

If while playing Ace of Spades, you aren't treated to an acid trip video and Pot Noodle I'm going to be disappointed.

Loving that pack though.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I am on the Dio album bit when I get a chance.

I am playing on a Gretsch now, which is quickly growing on me. Is there anyway to add in a hump block inlay? It is a stupid thing but I like seeing the inlay from my guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I think that toolset someone posted a while back when I was qqing about my savegame has a function that allows you to import custom inlays.