Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
mom always had diet pepsi in the fridge and a cold super carbonated diet pepsi is somewhat comforting to me now and then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Jonny 290 posted:

mom always had diet pepsi in the fridge and a cold super carbonated diet pepsi is somewhat comforting to me now and then
same, diet coke/pepsi with wheat thins and sharp cheddar is my ultimate comfort food

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jonny 290 posted:

my grandpa did this but with diet coke, but i eventually learned to spurn it

it might've been around the time i confused an iced tea for a coke

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i drink a gently caress ton of diet soda and diet coke tastes nothing like regular coke. it's not really that close to pepsi either. it has its own taste, which is p good, but not coke taste. coke zero is as close to regular coke as a diet soda is going to get (and it rules)

in college the only diet soda they had at the convenience store across from my dorm was diet pepsi. i drank so much of it that i can't stand it anymore. strangely this has not happened with the diet coke variants (and i don't know what i'll do if it ever does)

edit: also coke zero is not just rebranded diet coke for dudes, you're thinking of dr pepper ten. the tastes are completely different. i would bet $1000 that i can distinguish diet coke from coke zero in a double blind test

JewKiller 3000 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 15, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
mexican sodas are plentiful here

oh my gosh guys, mexican squirt is so fuckin good

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

same but tab

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i can drink a mexican soda once in a while... in fact i just had a jarritos lime from the laundromat because our washer is broken. the mexican sodas all use real sugar because no corn subsidies. but having gotten so used to diet soda, all regular sodas give me this disgusting mouth feeling of dirty sticky teeth, i feel like i have to brush right away

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i can drink a mexican soda once in a while... in fact i just had a jarritos lime from the laundromat because our washer is broken. the mexican sodas all use real sugar because no corn subsidies. but having gotten so used to diet soda, all regular sodas give me this disgusting mouth feeling of dirty sticky teeth, i feel like i have to brush right away

yeah yeah. one every now and then. not too much, keep it a treat

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

JewKiller 3000 posted:

I gave up diet soda (and all soda for that matter) for a bit. the first soda I had after a month without was like getting punched in the mouth with a sack of sugar.

kinda strange how quickly you acclimate to tastes.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shifty Pony posted:

I gave up diet soda (and all soda for that matter) for a bit. the first soda I had after a month without was like getting punched in the mouth with a sack of sugar.

kinda strange how quickly you acclimate to tastes.

oh dude when we moved from Arkansas to Denver and started eating good food consistently, whiskey started tasting like literal candy to me. our bodies literally changed composition

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jonny 290 posted:

the ol' mexican squirt

JewKiller 3000 posted:

i drink a gently caress ton of diet soda and diet coke tastes nothing like regular coke. it's not really that close to pepsi either. it has its own taste, which is p good, but not coke taste. coke zero is as close to regular coke as a diet soda is going to get (and it rules)

well it wasn't suppsoed to be exactly like pepsi, but when coke was developing it they thought people wanted more of a pepsi taste, and since diet coke was going to be its own product that could be dropped if it failed, they didn't see a reason to try to copy the regular coke flavor.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Shifty Pony posted:

This is why I stopped being remotely tempted by sodas/Starbucks coffee drinks years ago. Slightly sweetened tea is great, but I hate the taste of anything approaching Coke levels of sweetness.

Force yourself to stick to water, beer*, and black coffee/tea for a few months and you'll be shocked how quickly your taste adjusts. *Obviously not healthy, but lol like you were ever gonna skip beer.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 15, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
i actually like coke specifically because it's a little tart

i try to only get the 7.5 oz cans though because they usually satisfy my desire and they're not too excessive

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
peanuts in coke is a very odd little southern thing that i was introduced to when i met mrs

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

computer parts posted:

i actually like coke specifically because it's a little tart

I used to but somehow didn't have it for a couple years (ingrained cheapness more than conscientiousness helped with this). When I tried it again I felt like the guy in Super Troopers chugging maple syrup.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 15, 2015

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

infernal machines posted:

holy loving poo poo.

i'm going to whitelabel some vanilla slimfast and pitch it as the next 'trepaneur body hacking powermeal that's disrupting the 3 squares a day market

i can even include some fda approved studies showing it to be 5x more effective at not killing you with stupid nutritional imbalances than soylent

I've got a few friends who have gone nuts about Soylent and are constantly proselytizing on Facebook about how wonderful it is and how much of a chore eating human food is and when I ask them why they don't just go to the chemist and buy [slimfast / ensure / sustagen / diet shakes / protein shakes] they tell me that Soylent is better because it has no flavour at all and the flavours of most normal diet / meal replacement shakes are just too unpleasant to drink every day.

I just don't get it. Like, I want the robot cyber future dystopia we were promised back in the '80s to arrive as much as the next dork but never wanting to experience flavour again is some next-level sperging that I can't even get close to.

e - at least two of the people I know who have become hardcore Soylent converts are also huge drug addicts who say that Soylent is great because after they've been awake for five days on a speed and ketamine binge they can chug some 'lent and be assured that they probably won't get scurvy or keel over from starvation until they sober up for long enough to eat some vegetables or drink a smart juice or whatever it is that burnout 90s ravers do to keep their horrible meatbodies going for another day.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
jesus like seriously somebody take away this dude's prime account and vitamix, jesus hahahh people are going to die from this lmfao

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
the ceo at my startup likes soylent. he tried to get the rest of us to drink it too, but nobody will. he keeps some in the office and has it instead of lunch pretty often. i tried it, and there absolutely is a taste. it tastes like play-doh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
like how can you unironically not laugh while even thinking about voluntarily drinking anything named soylent, do they not know of the whole joke or w/e

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

duTrieux. posted:

also the fact that diet coke has the flavor profile of new coke and coke zero that of coke classic GOD

as a sometimes coke classic drinker, coke zero tastes like rotten rear end.
:goonsay:

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Jonny 290 posted:

like how can you unironically not laugh while even thinking about voluntarily drinking anything named soylent, do they not know of the whole joke or w/e
it's from the book not the movie :rolleye:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

JewKiller 3000 posted:

the ceo at my startup likes soylent. he tried to get the rest of us to drink it too, but nobody will. he keeps some in the office and has it instead of lunch pretty often. i tried it, and there absolutely is a taste. it tastes like play-doh

he seems to fit for a startup gj op

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Captain Cool posted:

it's from the book not the movie :rolleye:

in the book, soylent is essentially garbage food

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Nintendo Kid posted:

since diet coke was going to be its own product that could be dropped if it failed, they didn't see a reason to try to copy the regular coke flavor.

I thought they iterated on developing a flavor people would identify as "Coke" despite the use of aspartame as a sweetener (making it taste way sweeter than regular coke), and then used the Diet Coke flavor as the basis for New Coke (née Coke II, which was still available as of the late 90s!) in response to the Pepsi Challenge

Max Headroom was also involved

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Nintendo Kid posted:

in the book, soylent is essentially garbage food
oh hell I was joking but they really say that

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

eschaton posted:

I thought they iterated on developing a flavor people would identify as "Coke" despite the use of aspartame as a sweetener (making it taste way sweeter than regular coke), and then used the Diet Coke flavor as the basis for New Coke (née Coke II, which was still available as of the late 90s!) in response to the Pepsi Challenge

Max Headroom was also involved

the goal of diet coke was to loosely approximate regular coke, while also tasting more like pepsi, and fully embracing the product as tasting different than regular coke - since you weren't going to get too close a match with early artifical sweeteners anyway.

so diet coke sells great and coke regular sales start to slip a little bit. this drives coca cola to think it would be a good idea to make a full sugar version of regular coke based on the diet coke flavor profile (since they assumed people were going crazy for it mostly for the taste, instead of also for the whole no sugar thing)

that's new coke, still officially regular coca cola to this day even though its rarely produced, it's a flop, coke goes back to "Classic" coke which also has some minor flavor changes compared to the original stuff but nobody really cares.

Captain Cool posted:

oh hell I was joking but they really say that

it's funny that they don't get that even though the product is advertised as being soy and lentils and as a sustainable food, it's implied to mostly be other things that you wouldn't want to advertise in your food, and not sustainable either, but the broke masses can not afford anything better

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 15, 2015

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i like the taste of diet coke but i've been drinking it for a while

i guess the only redeeming thing i can really say about soylent is that normal meal replacement shakes taste really... sweet? like they're trying too hard. if i tilt my head and squint i can see the value in a flavorless meal replacement slurry i guess

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Nintendo Kid posted:

that's new coke, still officially regular coca cola to this day even though its rarely produced, it's a flop, coke goes back to "Classic" coke which also has some minor flavor changes compared to the original stuff but nobody really cares.

and also there should be more Max Headroom

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

FMguru posted:

arent most "craft beers" just stuff from miller/coors/bud except put in fancier bottles and sold at a 150% markup?

no, what gives you that idea? there's thousands of small actual craft breweries around the country

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

i was gonna say squirt is my go to for once-every-few-months soda

but the mexican stuff, ayy

we don't have a proper bodega here and the health-ish food stores wouldn't stock such a thing

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

no, what gives you that idea? there's thousands of small actual craft breweries around the country

I think he means most as in poo poo like goose island and the like that's being advertised out the wahoo because it's inbev

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i'm ok with nerds getting hospitalized for malnutrition by eating their poo poo slurry

reading
Jul 27, 2013
If you drink soda, kill yourself. The last soda I was even offered was Pakola, Pakistan's national cola, and I turned it down on principle even though it would have been a Good Cultural Experience (tm) which I'm usually on board with.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

reading posted:

If you drink soda, kill yourself. The last soda I was even offered was Pakola, Pakistan's national cola, and I turned it down on principle even though it would have been a Good Cultural Experience (tm) which I'm usually on board with.

cool, do you not even own a tv also?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

reading posted:

thanks for the analysis, forums poster "reading"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

did the person applaud you for taking a stance on such a meaningful issue? because I sure bet they weren't thinking you were an ungrateful bag a' dicks

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the light from the coke machine flickered from atop the cratered hill, intermittently illuminating reading's smoking corpse

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

how did we go so long on diet colas and not mention diet dr pepper? i cut out most colas but that's one I'll still drink since it tastes a bit different but closer than most diet versions and I feel less inclined to drink more of it so that helps

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

theflyingexecutive posted:

the light from the coke machine flickered from atop the cratered hill, intermittently illuminating reading's smoking corpse

his corpse doesn't smoke, it vapes so as to reduce second hand smug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

based on whatever imprinting I've had, I love diet pepsi and diet dr pepper, thanks mom. no really thanks, cuz I'd be a huge(r) whale if I liked sugared sodas

• Locked thread