Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Catts posted:

Spoilers for the new update!
Any day now :)
I like their updated logo art! Very "fresh"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Catts posted:

gently caress yes

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Catts posted:

terraria's kinda hideous isn't it?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They kind of abandoned the stable for mouth breathers who whine about updates and stability and stuff, the Nightly gets updated almost nightly and here's the current changelog for it. http://starbounder.org/Version_History/Nightly

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i wonder if the terraria people will ever figure out that all the windowdressing in the world won't fix grindy mmo poo poo being horrid to deal with

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
What happened to all the vodka that you could pick up? I haven't seen any since the new update. How can my character be a battered space veteran who drinks to deal with the emotional trauma of being one of the few survivors of having his home planet destroyed. How can he cope with all the lives he has taken without sweet, sweet alcohol! I was hoping to eventually be able to craft the stuff in future updates. Just grab you some potatoes and go to town!

Also on another note inmates at penal colonies don't drop drugs anymore they drop health packs. In fact you don't see very many syringe items at the colonies at all.

In all seriousness though, are they done with adult themes in the game? If so then let it be known, by me at least, that they will be missed.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Turtlicious posted:

They kind of abandoned the stable for mouth breathers who whine about updates and stability and stuff, the Nightly gets updated almost nightly and here's the current changelog for it. http://starbounder.org/Version_History/Nightly

The nightly is the devs balance build. Its not really that fun to play except for maybe like one day every month to see what new thing will be in the stable build that is coming any day now.

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

While I like the change in art style, it sucks that they are forced to do another kickstarter for Starbound:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eigenbom/moonman

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

nexas posted:

While I like the change in art style, it sucks that they are forced to do another kickstarter for Starbound:

I like this.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Cicadas! posted:

I like this.

Same, someone wake me up when it's out fully.

Also when the new stable Starbound patch hits.

*gets into cryosleep and sets timer for 1000 years*

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Kill video games

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

hehe being a nosebreather rules :smug:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

nexas posted:

Wow that looks super good I'm gonna invest my money into it before it's even playable because what's the worst that could happen?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

terraria's kinda hideous isn't it?

you're hideous.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Every time I see Terraria I remember how much Starbound needs a map like that. Best thing they ever added.

nexas posted:

Man that art style is really nice but the Moonman looks baaaad

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

any every day now

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

curse those mouth-breathers! :argh:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i wonder if the terraria people will ever figure out that all the windowdressing in the world won't fix grindy mmo poo poo being horrid to deal with

I'm sure they will after they sell another 2 million copies once this new patch hits

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

nexas posted:

I'm not even going to click on this and I'm going to throw down money that it's a 2D Pixel Platformer with some kind of horrid blend between retro and modern backing music (I'm guessing dubstep), lighting effects that would look great on something that isn't pixels but lets just roll with pixels anyway, and space themes (but only vaguely, as there will be stuff like swords and medieval armor)

e: and a focus on RPG stats, because why not, it's 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
close enough

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm not even going to click on this and I'm going to throw down money that it's a 2D Pixel Platformer with some kind of horrid blend between retro and modern backing music (I'm guessing dubstep), lighting effects that would look great on something that isn't pixels but lets just roll with pixels anyway, and space themes (but only vaguely, as there will be stuff like swords and medieval armor)

I think you're lying and you actually clicked on it

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Babe Magnet posted:

NO! Bitch

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

What happened to all the vodka that you could pick up? I haven't seen any since the new update. How can my character be a battered space veteran who drinks to deal with the emotional trauma of being one of the few survivors of having his home planet destroyed. How can he cope with all the lives he has taken without sweet, sweet alcohol! I was hoping to eventually be able to craft the stuff in future updates. Just grab you some potatoes and go to town!

Also on another note inmates at penal colonies don't drop drugs anymore they drop health packs. In fact you don't see very many syringe items at the colonies at all.

In all seriousness though, are they done with adult themes in the game? If so then let it be known, by me at least, that they will be missed.

haha I just saw this was a real post on the Starbound forums

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

smdh

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Bilal posted:

I think you're lying and you actually clicked on it

I still haven't, and I won't

but I take it as I was right lol

the industry desperately needs another E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

E: I'll make the kickstarter lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 15, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
You can't bury digital downloads in the desert, Moron !!!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Babe Magnet posted:

Hey, RPG elements in platformers are good if you do 'em right: they're bonuses that let you brute force situations your skills aren't up to snuff for, or maybe a ceiling factor that gates dumb and unnecessary hidden poo poo. As long as it's possible to clear the game without using a single facet of the RPG system, then it's fine.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Jackard posted:

You can't bury digital downloads in the desert, Moron !!!

I'll just 3D-print the source code, it's the future, get with the times grandpa

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
the digital desert of starbound content

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Game development is repeating and we are going to move on from indie 2-d platformers to indie isometric fantasy RPGs and first person dungeon crawlers.

Just you wait.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Oh god its already happening.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/291650/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/251730/

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

The White Dragon posted:

Hey, RPG elements in platformers are good if you do 'em right: they're bonuses that let you brute force situations your skills aren't up to snuff for, or maybe a ceiling factor that gates dumb and unnecessary hidden poo poo. As long as it's possible to clear the game without using a single facet of the RPG system, then it's fine.
But I really liked Symphony of the Night.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then you will love Starbound!

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Man Whore posted:

Game development is repeating and we are going to move on from indie 2-d platformers to indie isometric fantasy RPGs and first person dungeon crawlers.

Just you wait.

We can hope

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

What we need is more kickstarters for turn-based 4x strategy games, ideally based in science-fiction and fantasy worlds. I bought in to At the Gates but I have no idea when, if ever, Jon Shafer plans to release it.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Symphony of the night is still in my top 10 favorites. Granted my top 10 is really like top 30 since I always forget a ton of my favorite top 10s beyond whatever 10 I'm currently nostalgia-ing over.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Someone asked me to make colored glowing paint for my Chemistry mod about a year back, today i've actually managed to figure it out!

i fuckin love colors :lsd:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

I Said No posted:

Someone asked me to make colored glowing paint for my Chemistry mod about a year back, today i've actually managed to figure it out!

i fuckin love colors :lsd:

Congrats you have worked on this game more than the developers have in a year.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i do wish the modding scene was more stable because goons, in particular desi, djinn, and a few others made tons of mods that radically improved the game in a very short time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, but it followed that rule too. You can drop Soul Steals on tanky regular enemies or clip through them with that fire pillar spell, and bosses have surprisingly low defense. Unless you were using the Red Rust, you actually do fairly decent damage to pretty much everything you're required to fight. Bosses give enough EXP to keep you up to date without fighting a single regular monster, and you can beat the game without getting hit once. If you're the kind of player who does get hit, though, you can grind. If you're the kind of player who gets hit a lot, you can grind so hard that you can overpower enemies through sheer damage output.

SotN is a great example of a game with RPG elements that are only there to give players a way to circumvent the skill floor.

• Locked thread