Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

TwoPair posted:

I can't say I'm upset about MvC Spidey's death. He was always a mid-tier character. :rimshot:

drat it Slott

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Jokes on them. He just comes back every round anyway.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Too bad it wasnt MvsC 2 or 3...another hero or villain could have jumped in and pounded Morlun like Storm or Magneto or Sentinel or Juggernaut...or...like...Zero.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Morlun attacking with too many recovery frames leaving him open for a team aerial combo is an idea too good for Slott, let's be fair.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The only one of those short stories that was ok was when Morlun was unable to defeat Newspaper Spider-man because the first panel kept getting wasted on recaps. Even so, he had a terrible character intervene to preserve the universe instead of Morlun just losing, so it's not as good as it could've been.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Jokes on them. He just comes back every round anyway.

This would have been an actual good joke to end it on. Morlun loses because there's no way to actually kill MvC Spider-Man due to the rules of the fighting game world.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Gatts posted:

Too bad it wasnt MvsC 2 or 3...another hero or villain could have jumped in and pounded Morlun like Storm or Magneto or Sentinel or Juggernaut...or...like...Zero.

As long as Magneto kept yelling, "Pringles! Pringles!" I would be down for this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really wish the one-shots were Morlun losing for silly reasons.

Morlun can't kill Twinkie Spider-Man because every time he tries he's distracted by the twinkies, or the twinkies somehow manage to sate his hunger but only in that world or whatever. That would be funnier than the punchline being murder.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Thanks for buying the issue guys, I'm glad you liked it! Response to Hobie as the Anarchic Spider-Man has been pretty great for the most part. Making comics is fun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I would read an ongoing series of the Anarchic Spider-man if it was all done in that art style. You done good!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I would read an ongoing series of the Anarchic Spider-man if it was all done in that art style. You done good!

Yeah, I really liked the artwork in particular.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'd also buy a series of Anarcich Spider-Man. Question: did you indicate in the script what song they were supposed to be playing? In my head it was Blitzkreig Bop.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Thanks for buying the issue guys, I'm glad you liked it! Response to Hobie as the Anarchic Spider-Man has been pretty great for the most part. Making comics is fun.

Gave it to my friend who does punk music, and he says it's certified 100% Punk. Even the censorship on the head bashing panel did little to obscure the brutality, and was pretty funny to boot. Using music to weaken the symbiotes was also used in Spider-Man: Reign, but it's such a good metaphor it doesn't matter if it's been done before.

We really dug the cover that one band did of Spider Gwen's "Face it Tiger", so we might whip up a little something for the Anarchic Spider-Man.

Anything you can say about the editorial process? Any resistance to making Spidey Hobie Brown?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Actually a lot of the themes in Anarchic Spider-man were addressed in Reign, but Reign did it really poorly and weirdly and didn't have nearly this much style. Like, instead of a proud anarchist leader standing up to the cartoony fascist cops, it was a confused old man. Then a child died I guess. Wow, how fun!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Actually a lot of the themes in Anarchic Spider-man were addressed in Reign, but Reign did it really poorly and weirdly and didn't have nearly this much style. Like, instead of a proud anarchist leader standing up to the cartoony fascist cops, it was a confused old man. Then a child died I guess. Wow, how fun!

I have the first printing of the issue of Reign where you can see Spider-Man's dick.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Here's a preview for ASM #13.

What the hell is going on with that baby? The proportions are all wrong.

Also, here's a preview for Spider-Verse Team-Up #3.

Interesting that Deflaco & Frenz are not only using the narration captions Slott did (which they themselves called out as wrong), they have her calling her brother 'Benny'. I'm guessing those mistakes are deliberate, since it makes no sense for them to point out a mistake and then make it themselves.

Also, on a more positive note: Spider-Ma'am. :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also, on a more positive note: Spider-Ma'am. :allears:

Will we get a No Spider-Ma'am group with JJJ?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hey look it's a page of May Parker and a bunch of actually good characters

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Shame about the art and writing though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

Hey look it's a page of May Parker and a bunch of actually good characters

Which May do you mean, there's two of them in that preview.

Waterhaul posted:

Shame about the art and writing though.

You are Wrong and I want to hit you with a brick.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
No one ever refers to Aunt May as anything other than Aunt May! :colbert:

Aunt might as well be her first name

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

No one ever refers to Aunt May as anything other than Aunt May! :colbert:

Aunt might as well be her first name

And nobody refers to Spider-Girl as just May Parker. :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Ron Frenz. I'm not sure where he fits in on the Definitive List of the All-Time Greatest Spider-Man Artists, but I like his art for Spider-Man. Roger Stern said he might have stayed on ASM after #252 if he'd known ahead of time that Frenz was lined up to replace Romita, Jr., which could have been fun.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

ImpAtom posted:

Morlun can't kill Twinkie Spider-Man because every time he tries he's distracted by the twinkies, or the twinkies somehow manage to sate his hunger but only in that world or whatever. That would be funnier than the punchline being murder.

It's also a weird disconnect.

Care that these not vampires are murdering spider-men! Now here's a gag about them murdering spider-men.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. Being the one time fruit pies didn't distract a villain because he'd rather consume the hero is just fine on its own. Slott knows his Hostess ads. Dude brought the Ding-A-Ling family into the 616.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Yvonmukluk posted:

And nobody refers to Spider-Girl as just May Parker. :colbert:

She's not my Spider-Girl

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Thanks dudes!

TheJoker138 posted:

Question: did you indicate in the script what song they were supposed to be playing? In my head it was Blitzkreig Bop.
I had meant it to be this, because I'm pretty basic.

Die Laughing posted:

Anything you can say about the editorial process? Any resistance to making Spidey Hobie Brown?
Nope, we were allowed to do pretty much whatever we wanted, censoring the brain-busting aside. Seeing the way Sheldon drew Norman's trademark weird hair flying off in strips was pretty funny though.

Lurdiak posted:

Actually a lot of the themes in Anarchic Spider-man were addressed in Reign...
Really? I've never read Reign, I should probably look it up. Given that the symbiotes' weakness is to sound, it was kind of a gimme, especially the "if it's too loud, you're too old" angle.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Thanks dudes!

Well, that's even better.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Does anyone in this comic book use the word "anarchnid" in reference to punk rock Spider-Man?

If not, why not?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Because I'm an idiot and the anarchic/arachnid pun didn't even occur to me. I also wrote a Spider-Man comic where not one web is shot either, which, in retrospect, is ridiculous.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

She's not my Spider-Girl
But she was the first and best selling (130+ issues, so she must have doing something right).

But Anya is fine too. :unsmith:

Die Laughing posted:

Nope. Being the one time fruit pies didn't distract a villain because he'd rather consume the hero is just fine on its own. Slott knows his Hostess ads. Dude brought the Ding-A-Ling family into the 616.
Also he had Spidey actually defeat the Super Apes with fruit pies one time. Oh Spider-Man/Human Torch, you were the best miniseries. :allears:

Metal Loaf posted:

I like Ron Frenz. I'm not sure where he fits in on the Definitive List of the All-Time Greatest Spider-Man Artists, but I like his art for Spider-Man. Roger Stern said he might have stayed on ASM after #252 if he'd known ahead of time that Frenz was lined up to replace Romita, Jr., which could have been fun.
You could probably get a good thread out of comics runs that never were...

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Because I'm an idiot and the anarchic/arachnid pun didn't even occur to me. I also wrote a Spider-Man comic where not one web is shot either, which, in retrospect, is ridiculous.
Well there's always the ongoing you'll get.

Right?

Right?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 15, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I figured that's what it was, since I could read Spider-man in the sound waves and the punk army had "Action" and "Reward" written all over them.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Really? I've never read Reign, I should probably look it up. Given that the symbiotes' weakness is to sound, it was kind of a gimme, especially the "if it's too loud, you're too old" angle.

It's got a repressive police force and a symbiote outbreak coupled with themes about society, man but the tone is pretty different. It's a weird read but you might enjoy it.

I really liked Ronnie Osborn by the way.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Because I'm an idiot and the anarchic/arachnid pun didn't even occur to me.

No, no...it's fine. We're still...*sighs heavily* very, uh, proud of you...

*steadfastly not making eye contact*

So proud...of course...

*shakes head slightly, sighs again*

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Spider Punk seems like too much of a rebel to be slinging webs that restrain people.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Die Laughing posted:

Spider Punk seems like too much of a rebel to be slinging webs that restrain people.

Using it to web Osborn's mouth shut just before the skull bash would be punk as hell, tho. Alas, hindsight is 20/20, the story was pretty awesome already.

Hope it gets, like, a mini or a one-shot sometime.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I'm curious as to why you chose Prowler to be Spider-Man in that universe. It was a neat little twist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

It's not really. It's the expected result. The Newspaper Spider-Man one is a good example because that one actually did subvert the expected result by making humorous use of the Spider-Man's setting. Slott knowing Hostess ads doesn't really mean jack in the context of "it would be funnier if the punchline wasn't murder."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

It's not really. It's the expected result. The Newspaper Spider-Man one is a good example because that one actually did subvert the expected result by making humorous use of the Spider-Man's setting. Slott knowing Hostess ads doesn't really mean jack in the context of "it would be funnier if the punchline wasn't murder."

I will have you know that there was no greater way to raise the stakes then the failure of the hostess pie.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Lurdiak posted:

I figured that's what it was, since I could read Spider-man in the sound waves and the punk army had "Action" and "Reward" written all over them.

I'm pretty sure the lyrics are actually in the sound waves /energy/noise that's all over the page when they play. Pretty sure I read a "whatever" in there. Confirm, Vulpes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dacap posted:

I'm curious as to why you chose Prowler to be Spider-Man in that universe. It was a neat little twist.

I can't really picture an angry young youth Peter Parker. Or Peter bashing someone's brains out with a guitar. But Hobie? Yeah, no problem.

• Locked thread