Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

The device must show usage of some kind between when insurance is added and the claim is made.

Just wait a week or two and you will be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I just became due for an upgrade. Currently on a Note 2 - Is the Note 4 significantly larger? I wished my 2 was a little smaller more than a few times.

Also, are the only real contenders right now the iPhone 6(+) and Note 4? Any reason why I would want to wait for a new model that's due soon?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

The device must show usage of some kind between when insurance is added and the claim is made.

I think i can manage that.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I just became due for an upgrade. Currently on a Note 2 - Is the Note 4 significantly larger? I wished my 2 was a little smaller more than a few times.
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/si...hones/8577,7494

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Also, are the only real contenders right now the iPhone 6(+) and Note 4? Any reason why I would want to wait for a new model that's due soon?
There's also the Nexus 6, among others. Check the Android thread.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

The Bananana posted:

Hypothetical here: if I were to put insurance on my note 4 tomorrow, and then it were to fall off a cliff while I was hiking Wednesday, how suspicious would Verizon/asurion be?

Please, tell us more about your plans for insurance fraud.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Super Dude posted:

Please, tell us more about your plans for insurance fraud.
Will no one think of the poor beleaguered US cell companies! :qq:

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

CancerStick posted:

That Line 5 is up for an upgrade and I am planning on transferring the upgrade to my unlimited Line 2. I have finally accepted losing unlimited. Quick questions. I won't gently caress up Line 5 by transferring right? Also, are there any deals on GB. Is that 6GB Maxx thing applicable here sicne I don't use Edge? That is the only thing that may prevent me from upgrading.

Is the 6gb thing completely gone now? I went into a local Verizon store and he seemed fairly new so I'm just making sure he was correct but he said it is no longer a thing.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I just got upgraded to 6gb just by calling them to make sure my stuff went okay when I bought an Iphone 6 at the Apple store. I didn't ask or anything he was just like "oh hey, you want 6gb for free?"

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

particle9 posted:

I just got upgraded to 6gb just by calling them to make sure my stuff went okay when I bought an Iphone 6 at the Apple store. I didn't ask or anything he was just like "oh hey, you want 6gb for free?"

How recent was this? Maybe I'll go back tomorrow and try a new person.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
It was over the phone around December 26th.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

JayKay posted:

You have 90 days from original purchase (i.e. Apple Store or authorized retailer) to add it and the phone has to be inspected.

https://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

Edit: You may have to provide proof of purchase also however I didn't have to when I purchased AppleCare for my 5 and my wife's 5S.

Of course since Apple's customer service is top notch, they could possibly add it after 90 days.
I broke an iPad and they added Applecare+ and charged the cost plus the deductible, and I still had an incident left for the next time I broke it. After that, my boss got me an OtterBox for it.

The Bananana posted:

Hypothetical here: if I were to put insurance on my note 4 tomorrow, and then it were to fall off a cliff while I was hiking Wednesday, how suspicious would Verizon/asurion be?
Worst case, if you pay your phone bill with a credit card, you card issuer may offer insurance on the phone. I started paying my Verizon bill with my Wells Fargo card after learning this (after 3 payments you have insurance) and not only am I covered, they raised my credit limit.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I tried like five different stores to get that 6 gig deal. No one bit so I just paid full price for a new one and kept my data.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

therealjon_ posted:

I tried like five different stores to get that 6 gig deal. No one bit so I just paid full price for a new one and kept my data.

As an indirect agent I can confirm we put someone from unlimited to the 6gb Data Maxx plan recently. It's more likely that people you're dealing with are idiots.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If I logged into Verizon and it says I am eligible for Edge Up, does that mean I can upgrade on Edge as soon as I please? I bought my M8 on Edge last July, and I thought the agreement was 1 year or 75% of the cost of your device...

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

If I logged into Verizon and it says I am eligible for Edge Up, does that mean I can upgrade on Edge as soon as I please? I bought my M8 on Edge last July, and I thought the agreement was 1 year or 75% of the cost of your device...
It is now. But it has changed several times over the year. You get to keep the terms that you originally started with. Once you Edge Up you'll be on the new Edge terms.

If you started in July you should be on the version where you only need to pay 60%.

Here are the three versions if anyone is curious:

Verizon Edge /Edge Up agreements before 6/1/14
Installment Term: 24 Months
Minimum Buyout: 50% of device

Verizon Edge /Edge Up agreements before between 6/1/14 - 10/15/14
Installment Term: 20 Months
Minimum Buyout: 60% of device

Verizon Edge /Edge Up agreements as of 10/16/14
Installment Term: 24 Months
Minimum Buyout: 75% of device

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I am on the 60%, and upon further inspection I will always be eligible for "Edge Up" but can only complete the action by paying my remaining balance.

If it's 75% now, were the monthly prices adjusted to make upgrades occur in a one-year timeframe as well? Or did they make Edge a worse deal?

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Protocol7 posted:

I am on the 60%, and upon further inspection I will always be eligible for "Edge Up" but can only complete the action by paying my remaining balance.

If it's 75% now, were the monthly prices adjusted to make upgrades occur in a one-year timeframe as well? Or did they make Edge a worse deal?

They just made the deal worse

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

jadeddrifter posted:

They just made the deal worse

Well I'll probably just pay off the phone and look elsewhere, then.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm still on the 2 year contract on my Galaxy Note 2 but would like to get a Droid Turbo. Instead of waiting 2 more months could I just pay a bit to upgrade early? How would I find out how much it costs?

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

I'm still on the 2 year contract on my Galaxy Note 2 but would like to get a Droid Turbo. Instead of waiting 2 more months could I just pay a bit to upgrade early? How would I find out how much it costs?
No. You can't buy out your contract early to get 2 year pricing earlier.

There is a standardized policy in place that will let you upgrade 7 days early through customer service or a store.

You might qualify for Early Edge which would involve turning in your existing phone and then starting a new agreement on the Edge payment plan.

Not everyone qualifies but CS can check your account if you call in. Currently this promo is set to end 3/31/15 but that might change.

Again this for the Edge program not 2-year contract.

There is no way to get an upgrade early unless approved by management. This typically does not get approved if your reason is "I just want it." If you lie and say your phone was stolen and maybe cry and scream a bit you might get it but please don't do this.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

this sweet move posted:

No. You can't buy out your contract early to get 2 year pricing earlier.

There is a standardized policy in place that will let you upgrade 7 days early through customer service or a store.

You might qualify for Early Edge which would involve turning in your existing phone and then starting a new agreement on the Edge payment plan.

Not everyone qualifies but CS can check your account if you call in. Currently this promo is set to end 3/31/15 but that might change.

Again this for the Edge program not 2-year contract.

There is no way to get an upgrade early unless approved by management. This typically does not get approved if your reason is "I just want it." If you lie and say your phone was stolen and maybe cry and scream a bit you might get it but please don't do this.

What usually determines if you are eligible for early edge? All 3 of my lines were eligible in november, but only for the Droid Turbo which I went and used, trading in my Droid Maxx. I was 11 months into my 2 year contract. My other two lines still show early edge eligibility. Every phone on the website only shows full price instead of Edge pricing, and the CS at a store said they are only eligible to Early Edge to a Droid Maxx. Is there a situation where you can get any phone on Early Edge?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

ninmeister posted:

What usually determines if you are eligible for early edge? All 3 of my lines were eligible in november, but only for the Droid Turbo which I went and used, trading in my Droid Maxx. I was 11 months into my 2 year contract. My other two lines still show early edge eligibility. Every phone on the website only shows full price instead of Edge pricing, and the CS at a store said they are only eligible to Early Edge to a Droid Maxx. Is there a situation where you can get any phone on Early Edge?

It's a promotion that has changes a lot the past few months. Originally, if you were edge eligible (past six months good payments, good credit, etc) and at least a year into your contract, you could Early Edge to any phone.

Then, to support the turbo, they made it where you could only upgrade to the Turbo, but a lot of people could do this early Turbo upgrade even if they got their current phone half a year ago.

Well, Turbo stock became short, so they so changed the promo be the turbo and Maxx, then just the Maxx, and then only when your contract was six months from ending.

Now, the droid early edge promo Is over, but that just means no new accounts will get it. Accounts that had the promo might still have it. I also know that Early Edge is back to any phone, but again, a lot of people still have the old promo where it's just the Maxx.

I don't know, Verizon literally changes this poo poo once a month. I just know right now both types of Early Edge, Maxx and any phone, are showing up on people's accounts with no rhyme or reason.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Deep Winter posted:

It's a promotion that has changes a lot the past few months. Originally, if you were edge eligible (past six months good payments, good credit, etc) and at least a year into your contract, you could Early Edge to any phone.

Then, to support the turbo, they made it where you could only upgrade to the Turbo, but a lot of people could do this early Turbo upgrade even if they got their current phone half a year ago.

Well, Turbo stock became short, so they so changed the promo be the turbo and Maxx, then just the Maxx, and then only when your contract was six months from ending.

Now, the droid early edge promo Is over, but that just means no new accounts will get it. Accounts that had the promo might still have it. I also know that Early Edge is back to any phone, but again, a lot of people still have the old promo where it's just the Maxx.

I don't know, Verizon literally changes this poo poo once a month. I just know right now both types of Early Edge, Maxx and any phone, are showing up on people's accounts with no rhyme or reason.

That's how it looks. When I pick a Droid Maxx just to see what happens, it shows only full price, but CS says that's what I can get. What a great system! I'll just keep an eye on it every once in awhile, my wife wants off her S4, she hates it so.

Thanks for the info!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

When will Verizon roll out lollipop for the note 4?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Have you read about all the bugs with Lollipop so far? I don't know how badly I'd want an upgrade at this point.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Probably looking at getting the Droid Turbo when I can upgrade next month..trying to find a nice case for it. Currently my S3 uses a white UAG case. I'm looking for something with similar design. Basically a stylish, not too bulky, yet protective case. Lifeproof/Otterbox are definitely out of the question. Any recommendations?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I use an incipio case

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

So the promotion to get $150 back with a new Verizon smartphone activation ends January 31. My contract with Sprint ends Feb 1, and I'd like to take advantage of this promotion and port my number over to Verizon. If I buy the phone on that Saturday (Jan 31) from the website, I should still qualify to get $150 back. Even with overnight shipping, the phone shouldn't arrive until Monday (Feb 2), so when I activate it, my contract with Sprint will have already ended, so Sprint shouldn't complain, right?

On the other hand, if I try to do this in a store on that Saturday, they'll activate it immediately (and port the number), so if Sprint wanted to be an rear end about one day, they might be able to?

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

saintonan posted:

So the promotion to get $150 back with a new Verizon smartphone activation ends January 31. My contract with Sprint ends Feb 1, and I'd like to take advantage of this promotion and port my number over to Verizon. If I buy the phone on that Saturday (Jan 31) from the website, I should still qualify to get $150 back. Even with overnight shipping, the phone shouldn't arrive until Monday (Feb 2), so when I activate it, my contract with Sprint will have already ended, so Sprint shouldn't complain, right?

On the other hand, if I try to do this in a store on that Saturday, they'll activate it immediately (and port the number), so if Sprint wanted to be an rear end about one day, they might be able to?

Just pay your sprint bill early. Then you should be able to do what ever you want with out spring getting mad.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

jadeddrifter posted:

Just pay your sprint bill early. Then you should be able to do what ever you want with out spring getting mad.
I would check with Sprint on this. If this was VZW we would just go by when you actually disconnected whether you paid your bill or not.

If Sprint handles ports the way VZW does the service does not disconnect in the billing system until the end of your bill cycle. So if your cycle ends after your contract end date you would not get an ETF.

This is not 100% clear from their Terms and Conditions:

Spring T&Cs posted:

Porting/Transferring Phone Numbers
We don't guarantee that number transfers to or from us will be successful. If you authorize another carrier to transfer a number away from us, then that is considered a request by you to us to terminate all of the Services associated with that number. You're responsible for all charges billed or incurred prior to deactivation and for any applicable Early Termination Fees.
They might treat the port out request on Jan 31 as a disconnect on that date breaking contract, again I would check with Sprint.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The Sprint rep wasn't sure, which is why I asked here. The bottom line is that the ETF is $100 at this point in the contract, and the promotion is for $150, so even if they do charge the ETF I'll come out ahead doing it on the 31st as opposed to waiting until the 2nd.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

saintonan posted:

The Sprint rep wasn't sure, which is why I asked here.
:eng99:

Maybe go ask in the Sprint Thread

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

That's a weird URL, buddy.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

td4guy posted:

IP matches forums.somethingawful.com. Strange.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

td4guy posted:

I'm at work and using the direct IP lets me sneak around the proxy server that blocks entertainment sites. :ssh:

This should also work:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3399907

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

this sweet move posted:

I'm at work and using the direct IP lets me sneak around the proxy server that blocks entertainment sites. :ssh:

This should also work:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3399907

Weird, this site isn't entertaining

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

saintonan posted:

So just order the phone. Dont port until phone arrives?

I mean. Can't you just use a dummy number and port in later? Simply tell customer service you kept having issues trying to use the port my number option. Tada?

Or is this promo current on porting in only?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

How much could the ETF on a single day (or even week) of service possibly be? It doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

How much could the ETF on a single day (or even week) of service possibly be? It doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle.

From Sprint's site

quote:

The early termination fee is prorated and is calculated by taking the months remaining on your Service Agreement times $20 for Advanced Devices, with a maximum of $350, and minimum of $100. For all other devices, the prorated ETF is calculated by taking the months remaining times $10 with a maximum of $200 and minimum of $50.*

So, $100, or $50 if you had a dumbphone on Sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Anybody have any experience with the Verizon Messages app, specifically for iPhone/iPad? I just gave up Google Voice since it's getting folded into Hangouts and the one great thing about it -- texting from wifi or a wifi iPad or from a PC web browser -- seems to be replicated in Verizon Messages. I just wonder about battery/data usage and the general shittyness of a phone company app.

Hangouts for iPhone murdered my battery. Also, it couldn't really handle group MMS that well.

• Locked thread