Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Yeah, you just know he's a space pirate rear end in a top hat and he was imprisoned inside King Kai's planet and released when Cell caught a nasty case of explosion. I actually liked quite a bit of the fighting in that movie, namely Tien and Trunks showing off for the crowd, and the non-Bojack villains had a neat shtick with their energy web thing, but it was about as generic as a DBZ movie can be- "Hey, Krillin is bad at things (despite being one of the strongest beings on the planet)/ Gohan's in trouble, here comes Piccolo to save him!.. and then promptly gets the poo poo kicked out of him/ Vegeta and Trunks are cool but not as cool as Goku and Gohan", etc.

Edit: Also, the scene with Vegeta throwing Trunks his sword was awesome.. despite the fact that Trunks never uses it in combat afterwards and they both get their poo poo wrecked soon after.

It's always been funny to me that Vegeta talks so much poo poo about people being weaklings then gets demolished in literally every fight he's been involved with other than Android 19. Also, when he's talking poo poo about Piccolo and Krillin being the weaklings when Dabura turned them into stone, he's forgetting the fact that at their current strength they could have beaten him into a fine red mist when he first showed up on Earth.

Honestly, with the Saiyan "get stronger after getting beat up" mechanic, you'd think the Vegeta/Goku/Nappa/Raditz crew in DBM would do nothing but beat each other half to death every day and get into one of Frieza's "feel better" machines.

But of a nitpick, but Bojack isn't sealed inside the planet. He got sealed into a star by four kaio's including King Kai. When the latter dies to cells explosion it breaks the seal and Bojack is free for the five minutes before Gohan obliterates him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Super Android 13 comes before Broly right? I'm looking forward to what they can do with the three androids rather than Broly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Why do I get the feeling Android 15 will sound like Gary Coleman?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

facebook jihad posted:

Going off the top of my head...no? He gets beaten by Tambourine and then beats him, but it's blamed on the fact that Goku was weak from the tournament. If you want to blame that on zenkai, then go ahead, but that's just fan speculation. Goku then gets beat by Piccolo, where he gets the senzu afterwards, but he also gets the super holy water that serves as the power up for the Piccolo fight.

Didn't the super holy water not do anything? Or am I thinking of the other super holy water?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

The Bee posted:

Didn't the super holy water not do anything? Or am I thinking of the other super holy water?

The first super holy water didn't do anything, since climbing Korin's tower was the training. He later gets the REAL Super Holy Water, which does give him a power boost. If I recall correctly, it's also what gives Goku the ability to sense ki.

Rhonne posted:

I bet the only reason 16 fights Cell in DBZA will be because he's part Goku.

I'm pretty sure that's the only reason he fights cell in the original manga too!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I really hope this is why TFS will have their 16 fight Cell.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Rhonne posted:

Cell looks like a bug.

And what do birds eat?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Caros posted:

But of a nitpick, but Bojack isn't sealed inside the planet. He got sealed into a star by four kaio's including King Kai. When the latter dies to cells explosion it breaks the seal and Bojack is free for the five minutes before Gohan obliterates him.

in DBZA he's inside the planet. Must have gotten my worlds mixed up.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Being sealed inside King Kai's planet is better anyway.

Caros
May 14, 2008

New Leaf posted:

in DBZA he's inside the planet. Must have gotten my worlds mixed up.

I'm pretty sure that's actually the english translation for it, and I know it is a really common misconception... it just annoys me. :(

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Prison Warden posted:

The first super holy water didn't do anything, since climbing Korin's tower was the training. He later gets the REAL Super Holy Water, which does give him a power boost. If I recall correctly, it's also what gives Goku the ability to sense ki.

I think you're right about the ki sensing, and if so, it's kind of bullshit how the other characters just "learn things" as an after thought. This is sort of in the same vein of how Yamcha, Tien, and the other hang arounds seemingly get so much more out of the training Goku got, but years later. I know those other characters need to stay somewhat relevant, but it's poor writing anyway.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

I think you're right about the ki sensing, and if so, it's kind of bullshit how the other characters just "learn things" as an after thought. This is sort of in the same vein of how Yamcha, Tien, and the other hang arounds seemingly get so much more out of the training Goku got, but years later. I know those other characters need to stay somewhat relevant, but it's poor writing anyway.

Yeah them training with Kami makes them all stronger than Raditz / Piccolo Jr at the time of the tournament.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kild posted:

Yeah them training with Kami makes them all stronger than Raditz / Piccolo Jr at the time of the tournament.

... well, some of them at least.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

facebook jihad posted:

have you considered that tien just might be better than everyone else

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

ImpAtom posted:

He was stronger than the Saibamen, he just got surprised when the one he thought he'd beaten got up and suicided into him.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Even Yamcha at the point could probably beat Piccolo Jr at the world tournament. Doesn't mean much when loving Yamcha with the same training as Goku could've done the same thing.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I wonder if your Xenoverse character is already meant to be a big badass and your power is suppressed to not arouse suspicion or if you are chosen for your potential to grow. That also makes me wonder if the race you pick changes plot points, like your Namekian encountering Piccolo and Kami or your Saiyan going super for the first time.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nothing about your main character is going to matter in the story.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Nothing about your main character is going to matter in the story.

Lame. :(

Do you know that for sure or just guessing?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

New Leaf posted:

For sure. Your main character just exists to pop in and beat up Frieza. This isn't going to be a story driven game, it's just a 'hey you can fight alongside GOKU" wankfest.

Which is fine, just don't expect it to be anything else.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 16, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

New Leaf posted:

It's an anime-based cash in game where more focus is going into the create a character and gameplay than the goofy story stuff. The story is for sure going to be almost entirely linear with maybe the ability to unlock some extra missions which have sillier outcomes, but if you are expecting a Dragon Age-esque epic out of this, you are crazy.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

It's an anime-based cash in game where more focus is going into the create a character and gameplay than the goofy story stuff. The story is for sure going to be almost entirely linear with maybe the ability to unlock some extra missions which have sillier outcomes, but if you are expecting a Dragon Age-esque epic out of this, you are crazy.

I wasn't talking about anything of the sort. It's a story driven fighting game. It's not unrealistic to expect some sort of cutscene conversations between your character and the Z fighters. I mean, how hard would it have been to stick in some race specific lines or interactions. That's not too much to expect. Maybe throw in a scene for Saiyans that angers them to the point of turning super, or humans learning Kaioken, or Namekians chatting with Piccolo. Surely they can't expect someone who looks exactly like Piccolo to help fight Radditz before anyone knows about Namek and not say anything.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

facebook jihad posted:

I just handwaved that with, "they got different training."

Goku got trained to beat Piccolo's reincarnation, who would be somewhere on par with him, anyway, given the fight with the prior incarnation + years of training. On the flip side, this guy shows up 2-3x stronger than Piccolo, and two guys way stronger are coming, they're going to risk killing the trainees to get the best they can out of them.

Also, you have 4 guys all not THAT far from Goku's tournament level training with each other and trying to surpass each other up there as opposed to an old guy who even had to almost try a slight bit with DB Yamcha, and Mr. Popo.

If you ignore the anime, the only guy to ever really keep up at all was Krillen, who was either getting his power unlocked while fighting really powerful guys with Gohan and didn't do much but get blown up or beaten up after that, and Tenshinhan, who sits in a mountain doing whatever with Chaozu, and shows up and uses part of his LIFE force to make Cell unable to fly up for a few seconds. Oh, and distracts Buu for a second, who never toughens his body to block any attack, anyway.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

New Leaf posted:

I wasn't talking about anything of the sort. It's a story driven fighting game. It's not unrealistic to expect some sort of cutscene conversations between your character and the Z fighters. I mean, how hard would it have been to stick in some race specific lines or interactions. That's not too much to expect. Maybe throw in a scene for Saiyans that angers them to the point of turning super, or humans learning Kaioken, or Namekians chatting with Piccolo. Surely they can't expect someone who looks exactly like Piccolo to help fight Radditz before anyone knows about Namek and not say anything.

Your character probably isn't even going to talk outside of grunts and maybe random lines in combat. The characters so far when they refer to the player character in the trailers do not refer to the character with descriptive terms, it is all in vague non-personal dialogue like every Japanese game that does this. They're not going to refer to you by name, identity, hell I'd even go so far as to doubt race because despite the small amount of races in the game, they don't care about tying that into the story at all. Also yes they can, because it's a stupid what-if game where anything can happen and that's the focus.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
In the terribad game, Ultimate Tenkaichi, you are allowed to customize your own character as well, and your pick your voice from a list of options. This gives your character a bit of personality in cut-scenes that you'd otherwise miss out on and you even have a cut-scene where you learn to turn super-saiyan. I imagine for Xenoverse, you learn roughly the same stuff at the same intervals regardless of your race, pick from a list of masters that Trunks loads up in a simulation to train you the way you want to (which is essentially just going to end up being you picking your supers etc. and maybe get a logo on your outfit based on this) and depending on your race, you will at some point learn to transform.

I am wondering how on earth they will make it possible for a human to get something close to a super saiyan transformation. At least everyone will learn kaioken, from the looks of it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They can magic bullshit a reason. There's time travel involving a Kai and it seems like there are teams battles with the characters who actually fought in those fights, so if anything power creep does not seem like something they're worrying too much about.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Endorph posted:

For sure. Your main character just exists to pop in and beat up Frieza. This isn't going to be a story driven game, it's just a 'hey you can fight alongside GOKU" wankfest.

Funny, it's been claiming literally the opposite since this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKgU26GDeZk

The story mode is focused on the created character fixing the timeline fuckups and if the datamine is to be believed, probably taking down the big bad guy behind all this himself, Demigra, along with his lackeys.

It's not going to be some grand epic, no, but from what's been revealed so far the thing is recycling most of Dragon Ball Online's story elements. Mira and Towa are the main villains of the game, like they were in Online alongside another future rear end in a top hat dude Demigra.

Mordaedil posted:

In the terribad game, Ultimate Tenkaichi, you are allowed to customize your own character as well, and your pick your voice from a list of options. This gives your character a bit of personality in cut-scenes that you'd otherwise miss out on and you even have a cut-scene where you learn to turn super-saiyan. I imagine for Xenoverse, you learn roughly the same stuff at the same intervals regardless of your race, pick from a list of masters that Trunks loads up in a simulation to train you the way you want to (which is essentially just going to end up being you picking your supers etc. and maybe get a logo on your outfit based on this) and depending on your race, you will at some point learn to transform.

I am wondering how on earth they will make it possible for a human to get something close to a super saiyan transformation. At least everyone will learn kaioken, from the looks of it.

Last I checked only the Saiyans get their "transformations," being limited to Super and Super 2. Everyone else does get Kaioken, but there's no Freeza/Namek/Majin transformations. Maybe you could justify it with them being from the future and such for the humans. So obviously the correct answer is to replicate the Chrono Trigger cast and say that's why the humans are so strong. You're Magus/Crono/Glenn/Ayla/Marle/Lucca/Schala. Fits with the Time Travel shenanigans well enough. :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If Evil Bardock, SS4 Broly, Cell-X, and the rest of the gaggle of DB Online goofy rear end what-ifs make it into the story mode, it'll be worth it just for that.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
SS4 Broly was the arcade cardgame, Dragon Ball Heroes. :ssh:

Speaking of that, Heroes is going to be getting that Bardock as well as Xenoverse/Online's Future Trunks eventually. No word on Lavos Cell yet, but give it time...

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't mind being limited to super 1 and super 2, honestly, they are my favorites (as great as listening to Sean screaming while the entire earth is quaking is, it lacks an impact the others had) and shouldn't be too hard on the animators.

And I really would hope this turns into a series so I can experience and play with all the goofiness that Dragonball Heroes and Online.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Someone needs to hire this kid like right the gently caress now: http://kotaku.com/19-year-old-kid-creates-badass-fighting-anime-1679185130

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

New Leaf posted:

Someone needs to hire this kid like right the gently caress now: http://kotaku.com/19-year-old-kid-creates-badass-fighting-anime-1679185130

:stare:

And that was all the work of one man? drat.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Testekill posted:

That's the claim. I have nothing to back it up other than the article, and they have been known to be wrong in the past.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Re: Frieza third form.

It feels like what was meant to happen is for Vegeta to hit his zenkai before Frieza transformed, think he's a Super Saiyan, beat the tar out of third form and challenge Frieza to go up to fourth so he can prove his Super Saiyan power, only for Frieza to then come back and beat the ever loving poo poo out of him. Narratively that gives third form purpose and also would play into Vegeta's arrogance more, as well as allow for a callback in the Cell saga where he does it again.

I think it was just really hard to draw third form because it's so elaborate?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Re: Frieza third form.

It feels like what was meant to happen is for Vegeta to hit his zenkai before Frieza transformed, think he's a Super Saiyan, beat the tar out of third form and challenge Frieza to go up to fourth so he can prove his Super Saiyan power, only for Frieza to then come back and beat the ever loving poo poo out of him. Narratively that gives third form purpose and also would play into Vegeta's arrogance more, as well as allow for a callback in the Cell saga where he does it again.

I think it was just really hard to draw third form because it's so elaborate?

Well, Cell stayed around for a while, and apparently Toriyama hated drawing all of his spots every time. Maybe he finally realized "Oh hey, they've been on Namek for several months now, probably should fix that. Skip the Xenomorph, move on to Androgynous mk. II."

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You think Team Four Star would manage to work out a History of Trunks Abridged?

Because that's pretty much the darkest chapter of Dragonball, easily.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

I'm positive they will. If they can make a mass-murdering serial killer into a joke they can handle a little apocalypse.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

No joke, one of the members said it was happening on their Twitter yesterday.

Edit: @KaiserNeko: History of Trunks Abridged.

It's finally happening, folks.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Testekill posted:

Fight scenes with non complex characters are basically a solo animator's demo reel. The hard, hard stuff, that takes teams, are people doing that with fully drawn/realized characters, or naturalized actions with people turning and moving in multiple dimensions. There are a lot of good things about it, but it's basically a few months part time work for a solo person to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's no way they were skipping History of Trunks with KaiserNeko on the staff.

• Locked thread