Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

The general consensus is that the characters are some of the best written in any Bioware game, period.
That's not saying good things about Bioware.
:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KhFoHcNFKM:nws:

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Yeah, the problem is that "best written Bioware character" is a pretty low bar.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

edit:
nevermind

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 16, 2015

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Celery Face posted:

That's not saying good things about Bioware.
:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KhFoHcNFKM:nws:

To be fair, they did put all the worst bioware writing into Sera. She's basically a DA2 character.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
And to their credit, Bioware included a "Get the gently caress out" dialog option that is available every time you talk to her. She is also the only companion to have this.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
but your so squishy cute

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Inquisition has some of the best rpg side picks period, also has a couple of the worst sidekicks period.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Ah, NIER. I still remember popping the disc into the drive and being flabberghasted at what followed (that link might be NSFW).

Would have been my benchmark for great video game writing if it hadn't poo poo itself inside out at the final dungeon.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Levantine posted:

And to their credit, Bioware included a "Get the gently caress out" dialog option that is available every time you talk to her. She is also the only companion to have this.

Some said I was wrong to tell her to gently caress off, but I feel I haven't missed a thing by doing so.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Codiekitty posted:

Ah, NIER. I still remember popping the disc into the drive and being flabberghasted at what followed (that link might be NSFW).

Would have been my benchmark for great video game writing if it hadn't poo poo itself inside out at the final dungeon.

Someone needs to go get at least the C ending.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Someone needs to go get at least the C ending.

I was so infuriated by the A ending (okay, depressed and mildly annoyed. I didn't get really angry until I went online and read more about it) that I never went for the other endings.

I'm aware of them, though. I basically know what happens in B, C, and especially D.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr E posted:

Some said I was wrong to tell her to gently caress off, but I feel I haven't missed a thing by doing so.

You miss Jar of Bees which is a great item.

Otherwise, yes, she's worthless and terrible.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

hubris.height posted:

but your so squishy cute

What?

Codiekitty posted:

I've always been shocked at the voice acting of Nier. It's honestly some of the best I've heard and it's the dub of an obscure JRPG of all things. I wonder who was the director or what company they used.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

You miss Jar of Bees which is a great item.

Otherwise, yes, she's worthless and terrible.

Yeah, swallow your pride, get Jar of Bees then tell her to go. You miss nothing.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

mycot posted:

What?

I've always been shocked at the voice acting of Nier. It's honestly some of the best I've heard and it's the dub of an obscure JRPG of all things. I wonder who was the director or what company they used.

8-4, who are really drat good at what they do.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

King of Solomon posted:

It's kinda funny, but I actually felt like Darm Tower is when that game came into its own. I didn't miss the Evil Ring, at that point I was trying to make sure to be as thorough as possible (though I ultimately made the mistake of not talking to everyone after a major accomplishment, so I had to backtrack to talk to that one guy and get an item too, haha.) I don't feel like there's actually all that much backtracking if you're thorough, and even when you do have to do significant backtracking (as I had to do), it goes by pretty fast once you know what you're doing. I loved that I was max level throughout the whole thing, since that meant that I wouldn't run into a boss and hit a complete brick wall because I needed to grind out one level, which was a thing that absolutely happened earlier in the game.

As for the game being weirdly short, aside from it being an 80s game, Falcom releases Ys 1 and 2 as a package deal for a reason: the second game is the second half of the story.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I guess to each his own. The reason why I missed the ring was because the dungeon design was so confusing. I didn't know that there was another room on that floor. To me, leveling up is a big part of RPGs that give fighting the enemies purpose. You can only master bump combat so much. I felt that the game was doing fine with the levels so far. I never had to grind, though that could have been because I got stuck with batman and scouted the dungeon for sometime, hence my earlier than usual level up.

As for the length comment, I was referring to when Ys I was first released in North America, on the Master System. This was before Ys II came out to the West. And in Japan, Ys I came out around a year before Ys II.

I'm currently playing through Ys II now and it seems better. I understand Ys logic of "as soon as you get an item go deliver it to someone rather than progressing through the dungeon all the way." However I did have problems finding the fire magic. Did a path open up after I rescued the doctor? Because I didn't get to that area of the cavern before n matter how hard I searched.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 16, 2015

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I guess to each his own. The reason why I missed the ring was because the dungeon design was so confusing. I didn't know that there was another room on that floor. To me, leveling up is a big part of RPGs that give fighting the enemies purpose. You can only master bump combat so much. I felt that the game was doing fine with the levels so far. I never had to grind, though that could have been because I got stuck with batman and scouted the dungeon for sometime, hence my earlier than usual level up.

As for the length comment, I was referring to when Ys I was first released in North America, on the Master System. This was before Ys II came out to the West. And in Japan, Ys I came out around a year before Ys II.

I'm currently playing through Ys II now and it seems better. I understand Ys logic of "as soon as you get an item go deliver it to someone rather than progressing through the dungeon all the way." However I did have problems finding the fire magic. Did a path open up after I rescued the doctor? Because I didn't get to that area of the cavern before n matter how hard I searched.

I figured out the way Darm Tower was structured almost immediately, so being thorough enough to avoid missing stuff wasn't too hard, but I can understand where you're coming from. I generally agree with you about leveling/grinding, but even then enemies do still exist primarily as obstacles to progress. You may not get better at the systems (because you're right, there's not a lot of depth to bumping), but the enemies still need to exist to pose a threat. This is also where getting and upgrading better gear comes into play - which then further justifies being thorough.

As for the fire magic: honestly that dungeon is a nightmare labyrinth. You probably thought you were thorough about exploring it even though you completely missed a door somewhere. God knows I got completely lost in there for a while (I did eventually get pretty good at navigating it, but it took a long time.) Honestly though the best part of the experience was when I reached the boss without unlocking magic, so I had to leave the dungeon entirely.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Endorph posted:

dragon age: inquisition

That reminds me that I should probably get around to actually playing Origins. I have it installed, I've started it a couple of times, but it's never really grabbed me. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Dr Snofeld posted:

That reminds me that I should probably get around to actually playing Origins. I have it installed, I've started it a couple of times, but it's never really grabbed me. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

You're trying to play Dragon Age: Origins, that's what's wrong, ho ho ho.

Nah, kidding. I'm the same way, I played a bit of it, and just got...bored, but not consciously so. I just had no reason to play it. I think it was a combination of equipment I didn't care about (woo, +2.5% damage instead of +2.2%), combat that was either too easy or too hard, and some really, really boring sections. Didn't help that the camera on the console version sucks when you're trying to aim AOE spells.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Went to local nerd store and got a few old rpgs for cheap. $21 altogether for Magical Starsign (DS), Nostalgia (DS), Legaia 2 (PS2) and Spectrobes Origins (Wii). None of these are like A-tier or anything but I'll enjoy em. Also they had rhythm heaven for 5 bucks so I grabbed that too, which is not an RPG, but maybe some day.....

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

However once you go to Darm Tower the entire game starts to fall apart. First off, you stop leveling up. I know this happened to me a little before this but from what I understand this happened to most people some time in Darm Tower. Why the gently caress would you make a RPG where you can only level up ten levels? That doesn't make any sense. Also, I am in the last dungeon already? I mean up until this point the game consisted of two dungeons. It just seems...odd. Like the game still feels like it is just beginning. Even the Roda tree says "Your journey has just begun" or something to that measure just five minutes ago and I'm already at the final dungeon? Now it isn't so much that the dungeon is designed bad or confusing, as long as you have the floor marker displayed on the HUD you should be fine. The problem is the IMMENSE amount of backtracking. Why do I have to go down seven floors just to talk to someone who is going to give me an item to use just so I can go back up seven floors to use the item ONCE and never use it again? Why not just give the item to me at the end of the boss battle like the staff for the mirrors? Why have it so that I can place a ring that I can miss at floor 2, when I need it to get into a room in floor 14? I can understand if it was hidden in floor 13,12, or even 11, but...2? And again that stupid "silver" armor thing at the end. Also the game was very short. The game was around $50 when it was released. That is around $100 in todays standards. I would have been pissed if I spent that much money on a non-replayable game that I ended up beating in one day. It really shows how much better we have it with $15 50 hour games.

The PC remake of Ys1 is hosed up. The game originally had a proper leveling system that went to the end of the game like you'd expect. I don't know why they did that or never fixed it, it's awful. The shortness of Ys1 is it's absolute strongest point. Thankfully Ys2 is a million billion times better in every way.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The PC remake of Ys1 is hosed up. The game originally had a proper leveling system that went to the end of the game like you'd expect. I don't know why they did that or never fixed it, it's awful. The shortness of Ys1 is it's absolute strongest point. Thankfully Ys2 is a million billion times better in every way.

I would agree except I hate Ys 2 dungeons with a passion. gently caress the caverns, and gently caress the Palace of Salmon especially. I always get hopelessly lost in there. Ys 1 dungeons were mazelike too but I still could find my way around somehow. Even in Darm's Tower, which must have been designed by a lunatic.

I will note though that while I hate Ys 2's dungeons, that still doesn't prevent me from loving the game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So playing Ys II and I am enjoying it a lot. So far its a 16 bit classic ala Link to the Past and Metal Gear 2.

My only question is that can I use the transport magic to the Ice Caverns after I warp to Lance Village. I'm fighting the boss and want to upgrade my equipment.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 16, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MockingQuantum posted:

The general consensus is that the characters are some of the best written in any Bioware game, period. Its a very strong game overall in that respect, much better than Origins.
I think this was some tag line a bunch of reviewers were tossing out. I don't know, some of the characters are all right, some others clearly didn't get enough time for most of the game (Vivienne, Solas) and some characters got more time than they deserved (Cole, Sera).

Also the character quests were incredibly weak, and the core plot is same old fantasy Bioware.

It's still a fun game but I feel like its main hallmark is blending something that feels like a gigantic free world with an RPG. This is similar to how I felt with Xenoblade when I first played it. I will forget about all the characters in DA:I in a few months.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Morpheus posted:

You're trying to play Dragon Age: Origins, that's what's wrong, ho ho ho.

Nah, kidding. I'm the same way, I played a bit of it, and just got...bored, but not consciously so. I just had no reason to play it. I think it was a combination of equipment I didn't care about (woo, +2.5% damage instead of +2.2%), combat that was either too easy or too hard, and some really, really boring sections. Didn't help that the camera on the console version sucks when you're trying to aim AOE spells.

I had the same problem. Tried twice to play through it and just stopped part way through. I just couldn't get a handle on the combat & skills. Eventually I'd run into a battle that I couldn't win with the party I'd been using to that point, and then I'd feel stuck because I couldn't change my skills around to try something different. If I ever make a 3rd attempt I'll have to follow a guide to build a party that can kick rear end.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah I've already gone down that road. The problem is that they don't loop properly; some intrepid soul needs to spend some time to insert in the necessary flags at the right time stamps to make them work properly.

Huh, I was thinking when I did that in Ys 1&2 it worked but when I tried it with the YS3 CD music in Oath that they didn't loop. I'll mess with it again and report back. Maybe I was drunk or just have a bad memory.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sera is awful but dorian is actually a decently written gay character who has ~gay struggles~ without it defining his character, and cole could have easily been dumb fangirl bait but was actually likable. cassandra is lower key than most of the party but it works. varric is the best character from da2 put into a game where the party is way better, but he still manages to stand out a bit. iron bull is cool.

i didnt pay attention to solas, vivienne, or sad warden man

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So Xanadu Next is likely coming out and I can't wait yo try it. However, I hear that it is very different from other games in the series as it plays completely different. Is that true?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Solas is basically Spock The Grey but he's not quite so obvious in the things he approves of, which is pretty nice. Blackwall kind of avoids the 'obvious Good Character' thing by being blunt as gently caress, but it's so easy to finish all his poo poo that you don't really pay attention to him. Vivienne is basically a non-entity and I kind of found her boring because she's all about the status quo and being cautious in a game where the world has basically been torn apart entirely by existing habits, also because her character quest is late and tiny.

I think the main reason I liked Inquisition's party was because most everyone was loving sensible, like you could avoid the pure puppy-killing/child-of-God options and they'd be okay with that, or they'd let you talk through what they saw as bad decisions and still tacitly approve of them because Something Had To Be Done One Way Or Another.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 16, 2015

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Someone released the PCE soundtracks for Ys1&2 with properly edited .POS files for looping a loooong time ago. It was probably that idiot Nightwolve so the old downloads are probably long gone, but I've still got them all saved on my harddrive.

I can upload them somewhere if someone can give me a good site to do so.

E: Nope it was Deuce who did them apparently, and they were a mix of tracks for the TG-CD, YsI Perfect Collection, and Windows version.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 16, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Stelas posted:

Solas is basically Spock The Grey but he's not quite so obvious in the things he approves of, which is pretty nice. Blackwall kind of avoids the 'obvious Good Character' thing by being blunt as gently caress, but it's so easy to finish all his poo poo that you don't really pay attention to him. Vivienne is basically a non-entity and I kind of found her boring because she's all about the status quo and being cautious in a game where the world has basically been torn apart entirely by existing habits, also because her character quest is late and tiny.

I think the main reason I liked Inquisition's party was because most everyone was loving sensible, like you could avoid the pure puppy-killing/child-of-God options and they'd be okay with that, or they'd let you talk through what they saw as bad decisions and still tacitly approve of them because Something Had To Be Done One Way Or Another.

solas is extremely obvious in what he approves of: questions. seriously, if any option is a question he will approve. got that guy maxed out and his character quest done the second i left haven.

and eh on the second part, sera will pretty much turn down any sensible option unless you fellate her stupid opinions repeatedly. she could see an alien appear in front of her and still not believe in them because they don't fit her narrow view (terrible example but yeah)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sera suffers from being an obstanent narrowminded stupid character who never changes but also is completely unimportant to the plot, does little to advance the worldsetting, and has a really annoying writing pattern. If even one of those things was changed she could be okay but the mix is just death.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I could have dealt with Sera's randomness if she weren't also a really horrible person on top of that.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Davincie posted:

and eh on the second part, sera will pretty much turn down any sensible option unless you fellate her stupid opinions repeatedly. she could see an alien appear in front of her and still not believe in them because they don't fit her narrow view (terrible example but yeah)

Well, yeah, that's why I said 'most everyone'.

Solas has some really neat bits and bobs about him, but they're towards the latter half of the game or require you to be an elf.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Someone released the PCE soundtracks for Ys1&2 with properly edited .POS files for looping a loooong time ago. It was probably that idiot Nightwolve so the old downloads are probably long gone, but I've still got them all saved on my harddrive.

I can upload them somewhere if someone can give me a good site to do so.

E: Nope it was Deuce who did them apparently, and they were a mix of tracks for the TG-CD, YsI Perfect Collection, and Windows version.
This isn't the one that was done for the original, non-Steam release was it? Because I do have a patch for those games which I'm fairly certain don't work on the Steam release.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stelas posted:

require you to be an elf.
why would you be anything but a qunari

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

This isn't the one that was done for the original, non-Steam release was it? Because I do have a patch for those games which I'm fairly certain don't work on the Steam release.

Huh, I didn't realize they changed the music format. That's pretty weird, I guess OGG has a built in concept of where to loop musics? I could probably do a quick conversion if I could remember what the exact format of the .POS files was.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The .ogg variables are "LOOPSTART=" and "LOOPLENGTH=" apparently.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

So Xanadu Next is likely coming out and I can't wait yo try it. However, I hear that it is very different from other games in the series as it plays completely different. Is that true?

Yeah, it's definitely very different. Aside from you getting experience with your equipment there's not a lot to link it with previous installments in the series, though there's a (very tenuous) plot link to the very first Xanadu game.

It's a good game. The plot is utterly forgettable--in the sense that I've almost completely forgotten it--but it kind of plays like a Diablo-like in its control scheme I guess? At least that's the sense I got. Mouse control was way better than using a controller too I felt. It's got a lot of interesting environments, a fair number of dungeon puzzles (some of them are just block puzzles but still) and a bunch of different spells and active/passive skills you can learn and use. And gorgeous music. It's some of the best music out of Falcom ever IMO. Like I would rather listen to Xanadu Next's soundtrack than Ys Origin or Oath in Felghana. Though that's a personal preference I suspect a lot of people won't share.

Though I doubt a domestic release would see the same, the original boxed release I have was a great deal--it came with not just the game, but a nicely illustrated manual and monster bestiary, a music CD, and best of all, Project EGG (Japan's equivalent of GOG) Windows ports of PC Engine Xanadu Legend of the Wind 1 and 2.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Endorph posted:

why would you be anything but a qunari
nitpick bu being unable to wear a lot of the cooler aesthetic armor is a reason :(