Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Vanderdeath posted:

Ubiquitous? Maybe. Pricey as gently caress in some regions? You bet your rear end. Food deserts are a very real and very saddening thing and I've personally seen the mark-up on fresh foods in the inner city and impoverished areas of Kansas City and Atlanta. It's silly to think that there's some sort of uniformity in quality in the produce and meats that are provided in supermarkets across the country. You're much more likely to get shittier, more expensive items in the poorer areas of the United States and it's a terrible lot for many people.

I've lived on both coasts of Florida, in the Midwest, Los Angeles, the deep South, and Las Vegas. I've lived in both urban and rural(ish) areas. I spent most of my life in significantly poor areas. I once stayed in a homeless shelter that they knocked down to build one of those inner-city grocery stores, which I then shopped in once I was off the streets. In none of those places have I ever seen a situation where I could not get quality produce for a reasonable price as long as I bought what was in season and/or on sale. When strawberries were expensive, I ate apples. When apples were expensive (or lovely), I bought whatever melon was cheap. Lettuce was cheap as gently caress all the time, as were carrots, cucumbers, and other healthful produce.

I stated that fresh produce is ubiquitous in American grocery stores, which is true. I said availability varies by season and store, which is true. I was responding to one person who apparently thinks the United States has no fresh produce, and another who said (twice) that grocery store produce is universally poo poo, but, for some reason, you decided I was the person you needed to argue with for making blanket statements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Detroit is really the only place I've been that I would describe as a food desert. The state of produce and food availability in most of that city is loving dire. Although my friend does live near a group of five or so families that all connected their yards to start a crazy urban farm and urban farming in general has just been blowing up in that city so it's not all bad. Supposedly some community group is trying to turn all the old abandoned city parks into community gardens as well but IDK how that is going.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Rapman the Cook posted:

I used to see things on TV about Americans never having fresh fruit, knot knowing was certin vegetables were,never having eaten a real orange. And then Obama got made fun of for asking for Dijon mustard on something.
The main US food discussion I ever come across is just fast food talk. Or meat heavy with pointless sides.

Completely bizarre and food impoverished place, as far as I can tell.

My mother in law believed this stuff and that American supermarkets had no fresh produce at all, only boxes of cookies/cereal and frozen pizza. That Americans don't actually ever cook at home they always eat from McDonalds. I just laughed because all the supermarkets I was in in any trip to the US staying with friends (so NC, GA, TN) were like 100x nicer for fresh produce than the shrink wrapped poo poo that you find in supermarkets here in Holland. And cheaper.

Euro programming likes to try to make us feel superior by just showing us junk like Man Vs Food as our entire idea of what the USA is like.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Centripetal Horse posted:

I've lived on both coasts of Florida, in the Midwest, Los Angeles, the deep South, and Las Vegas. I've lived in both urban and rural(ish) areas. I spent most of my life in significantly poor areas. I once stayed in a homeless shelter that they knocked down to build one of those inner-city grocery stores, which I then shopped in once I was off the streets. In none of those places have I ever seen a situation where I could not get quality produce for a reasonable price as long as I bought what was in season and/or on sale. When strawberries were expensive, I ate apples. When apples were expensive (or lovely), I bought whatever melon was cheap. Lettuce was cheap as gently caress all the time, as were carrots, cucumbers, and other healthful produce.

I stated that fresh produce is ubiquitous in American grocery stores, which is true. I said availability varies by season and store, which is true. I was responding to one person who apparently thinks the United States has no fresh produce, and another who said (twice) that grocery store produce is universally poo poo, but, for some reason, you decided I was the person you needed to argue with for making blanket statements.

I apologize for coming off as terse and more argumentative than I meant to (I'm phone posting) but having grown up under similar circumstances, I understand where you're coming from. I've just ran into a fair amount of people who adamantly deny one of obesity's contribution factors being the lack of fresh food in the diet due to poorer families not being able to afford fruits and veg in bulk. Sorry for coming off like that.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Rapman the Cook posted:

I used to see things on TV about Americans never having fresh fruit, knot knowing was certin vegetables were,never having eaten a real orange. And then Obama got made fun of for asking for Dijon mustard on something.
The main US food discussion I ever come across is just fast food talk. Or meat heavy with pointless sides.

Completely bizarre and food impoverished place, as far as I can tell.

I think the root cause of misunderstanding about "American food culture" is that there is no such thing. There is a lot of mature food culture in America, and there has been for a very long time, but it's regional and incredibly varied. So people look at the only food that's uniform across the country and call that "America's food." Which means restaurant chains and peanut butter.

Spend two days in New Orleans and you'll have your mind blown by some of the finest cuisine on Earth. Then go to Santa Fe. Then San Diego. Then Chicago. All completely different, and all very sophisticated and high quality.

Never ate an orange? I don't know one single person of any age that can say anything remotely like that. But we do eat a lot of meat, that part's true.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
The United States is a very massive, very diverse country with certain kinds of food being much more easily found in one place than another. It's pretty funny that foreign perceptions of the USA are that we all just eat cheap rear end food and have an epidemic of never ever eating healthy food (well, there is an obesity epidemic but it doesn't apply to everyone obviously) when Britain is probably just as bad about that kind of stuff as the United States.

edit: Texas is obviously known for its BBQ, Chicago you can find deep dish pizza all over the place, Michigan just loving loves pasties and fudge. There's a lot of specialties in different regions of the States too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lincoln posted:

I think the root cause of misunderstanding about "American food culture" is that there is no such thing. There is a lot of mature food culture in America, and there has been for a very long time, but it's regional and incredibly varied. So people look at the only food that's uniform across the country and call that "America's food." Which means restaurant chains and peanut butter.

Spend two days in New Orleans and you'll have your mind blown by some of the finest cuisine on Earth. Then go to Santa Fe. Then San Diego. Then Chicago. All completely different, and all very sophisticated and high quality.

Never ate an orange? I don't know one single person of any age that can say anything remotely like that. But we do eat a lot of meat, that part's true.

Pretty much, the US is basically the same size as the entirety of Europe and our food culture is a giant melting pot (heh) of tons of cultures. Its how we get cool things like French/African hybrid cuisines in Louisiana, and weird Greek/Italian/Polish mixes in Chicago.

Also we gave the world pecan pie so, you know, you're welcome.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

How Rude posted:

edit: Texas is obviously known for its BBQ, Chicago you can find deep dish pizza all over the place, Michigan just loving loves pasties and fudge. There's a lot of specialties in different regions of the States too.
Even different regions of each state! Pasties and fudge are really only big in northern Michigan. Down here it's all about Coneys and "Mediterranean" cuisine (read: Middle Eastern).

Enjoy this map of the most disproportionately popular cuisines in each state.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Shut up and post gross food.

Mountain oysters. Better known as bull testicles. People in the midwest go crazy for them, almost every small town in Kansas has a bull ball festival at some point. Usually eaten fried.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

Mountain oysters. Better known as bull testicles. People in the midwest go crazy for them, almost every small town in Kansas has a bull ball festival at some point. Usually eaten fried.

Always wanted to try those.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

This is from Gumby's around Texas A&M probably, it's not great because it's super dry but they're open till 3:30 AM so it's a good source of post-bar drunk food

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

It was probably by Bill Bryson, he lies a lot and never checks any facts; hope this helps. (As a rule, any and all interesting stories about the origins of foodstuffsanything are lies.)

No, it was a more serious book that talked about the decline of American tastes. The author also mentioned the fact the metallic taste of pineapple-grapefruit juice due to the canning has become de rigeur and it has hard to find anyone who knew it without that taste.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

I first ate those in California. Pretty much straight off the ex-bull.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
But why. Why testicles. Why do you want to eat them.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Boris Yeltsin famously had his mind blown after visiting a supermarket in Houston (not even a high end chain, just a Kroger I think) and seeing it's variety of fresh, cheap produce. So that's a weird myth that's cropped up.

Edit: some people even say it helped contribute to the final collapse of the USSR.

Edit 2: Found the article, it was a Randall's (Safeway/Tom Thumb in other areas of the country) - http://blog.chron.com/thetexican/2014/04/when-boris-yeltsin-went-grocery-shopping-in-clear-lake/#22200101=2

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Jan 16, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Toriori posted:

But why. Why testicles. Why do you want to eat them.

Eat the balls, gain its strength

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

Funny story about A1. It was originally marketed in cans as a ketchup alternative. Then they switched to bottles and people started complaining it didn't taste right. So A1 had to reformulate their recipe to add the metallic tang left from the can days.

Ketchup probably comes from kecap, Indonesian soy sauce. Kecap inngris is worcester sauce. This is why the bottle in your fridge probably says "Tomato Ketchup" to indicate that it isn't fermented fish sauce.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It's also so you don't accidentally buy the banana ketchup

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist posted:

Ketchup probably comes from kecap, Indonesian soy sauce. Kecap inngris is worcester sauce. This is why the bottle in your fridge probably says "Tomato Ketchup" to indicate that it isn't fermented fish sauce.

This stuff is delicious, fyi. Put it on some fried eggs over rice and that's a solid comfort food meal. Don't eat it if you're diabetic though because it is sweet as hell.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy

GrandpaPants posted:

This stuff is delicious, fyi. Put it on some fried eggs over rice and that's a solid comfort food meal. Don't eat it if you're diabetic though because it is sweet as hell.

Yeah it absolutely doesn't belong in this thread but someone was wrong on the internet.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

theironjef posted:

It's also so you don't accidentally buy the banana ketchup

Ah, yes--the official ketchup of Anonymous.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Hirayuki posted:

Even different regions of each state! Pasties and fudge are really only big in northern Michigan. Down here it's all about Coneys and "Mediterranean" cuisine (read: Middle Eastern).

Enjoy this map of the most disproportionately popular cuisines in each state.

oh wow really? Half my family all live in the Saginaw/Bay City area and we never go down to the southern border or Detroit that often so that may be it. Though you do see a lot of coney places as well as pasties in Bay City.

edit: for content one of the coney places we tried had the soggiest, greasiest onion rings. there was absolutely no crisp or texture to them at all. how can you be so cheap and not replace the oil? it's obvious they didn't even try to fully cook the fries either, and the coney dogs were cold.

How Rude has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Jan 16, 2015

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Yuriy posted:

This is from Gumby's around Texas A&M probably, it's not great because it's super dry but they're open till 3:30 AM so it's a good source of post-bar drunk food

We have a Gumby's here by the University of Florida. I saw the "stoner pie" and immediately assumed the picture was from there. I had no idea Gumby's was a chain.

Although, attached to our Gumby's, we have a "Court of Heroes" which is a bar that's open 365 days a year, from 11am-2am. Cheap and amazing. Perfect locale too. Get wasted and then walk across the room and get stupid-good drunk food.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Vanderdeath posted:

I apologize for coming off as terse and more argumentative than I meant to (I'm phone posting) but having grown up under similar circumstances, I understand where you're coming from. I've just ran into a fair amount of people who adamantly deny one of obesity's contribution factors being the lack of fresh food in the diet due to poorer families not being able to afford fruits and veg in bulk. Sorry for coming off like that.

It's cool. I grew up poor as poo poo, and I know what it's like to shop purely by dollars instead of by what you want or need. I just wanted to rebut the idea that there's no fruit to be had, or that it's all terrible if you don't get it directly from the dirt where it's grown.

I do think other factors, such as the fact that working 72 hours per week eats into your "cooking from scratch" time, contribute as much as price and availability. Are you aware of any resources that actually cover this topic? I'd love to have actual facts on hand when some idiot starts yammering about poors getting fat on his tax dollars, but I never seem to find authoritative sources.

Edit:

nucleicmaxid posted:

Boris Yeltsin famously had his mind blown after visiting a supermarket in Houston (not even a high end chain, just a Kroger I think) and seeing it's variety of fresh, cheap produce. So that's a weird myth that's cropped up.

Edit: some people even say it helped contribute to the final collapse of the USSR.

When Viktor Belenko defected from the USSR and ended up in the United States of America, he was convinced that grocery stores were a western plot to manipulate him, and to discredit the Soviet Union. This is a funny, but poignant, quote on the matter:

Lieutenant Viktor Belenko posted:

"But later, when I discovered supermarket was real one, I had real fun exploring new products. I would buy, everyday, a new thing and try to figure out its function. In Russia at that time (and even today) it's hard to find canned food, good one. But everyday I would buy new cans with different food. Once I bought a can which said "dinner." I cooked it with potatoes, onions, and garlic-it was delicious. Next morning my friends ask me, "Viktor, did you buy a cat?" It was a can of chicken-based cat food. But it was delicious! It was better than canned food for people in Russia today."

Centripetal Horse has a new favorite as of 20:48 on Jan 16, 2015

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

EZipperelli posted:

We have a Gumby's here by the University of Florida. I saw the "stoner pie" and immediately assumed the picture was from there. I had no idea Gumby's was a chain.

Although, attached to our Gumby's, we have a "Court of Heroes" which is a bar that's open 365 days a year, from 11am-2am. Cheap and amazing. Perfect locale too. Get wasted and then walk across the room and get stupid-good drunk food.

Yea, it took me a long time to realize it was a chain cuz I could have sworn we had one in Chapel Hill/UNC back in the day, then I went like 15 years without seeing one again till moving to Texas.

The pepperoni roll deal on wednesdays is hella good too

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Gumby's is a chain in college towns, so you won't see them outside of places like Gainesville, Chapel Hill, etc. There was one in Athens back in the day that was open until like 4am and we would eat the motherfucking poo poo out of pokey sticks after getting home from downtown after bar close.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Gumby's is a chain in college towns, so you won't see them outside of places like Gainesville, Chapel Hill, etc. There was one in Athens back in the day that was open until like 4am and we would eat the motherfucking poo poo out of pokey sticks after getting home from downtown after bar close.

For those of us without one, what in the blistering green gently caress is a pokey stick? (So I know whether to mock it or not.)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

For those of us without one, what in the blistering green gently caress is a pokey stick? (So I know whether to mock it or not.)

It's just Gumby's version of cheese sticks/cheesy bread. (Pokey is Gumby's sidekick)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is that an actual licensed use of the characters? Their site sure doesn't make a big deal of it if it is.

E: "COUPONS MAY EXPIRE AT ANY MOMENT"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Samizdata posted:

http://bit.ly/17R9VQM

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Samizdata posted:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pokey+sticks

E: nucleicmaxid:hf:Indolent Bastard

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

That might be where the word comes form, but 'catsup' was a general term for sauces in 18th century USA. At the time, the most popular alternatives to tomato ketchup were either mushroom or walnut ketchup. It's not like fermented fish sauce was a new idea from China, either, the ancient Romans famously loved their garum, and it was also in the 18th century that Lee and Perrin's began selling their brand of fermented anchovy sauce, but the general idea of anchovy sauce was around in 17th century England..

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Kecap is actually a generic name for sauce. Without qualification it usually means a kind of fermented soy, but there's kecap manis which is a sweet soy with a lot of wheat, kecap putih which is a light soy, and kecap ikan which is the fish sauce.

Using kecap as the etymological origin of the word ketchup is generally accepted but mostly circumstantial. At any rate ketchup didn't really enter the English lexicon until it had already bounced around the Commonwealth and come to refer to particularly British preserved (rather than fermented, as in Indonesia) fish products. Sauces like Worcestershire developed at this time, and kecap Inngris is the Indonesian term for the later, British, variation of the native sauces (the name literally means something like `English sauce'). That is, the Indonesians got kecap Inngris from the British, not the other way around.

By the late 1800's when Heinz started pushing tomato ketchup, ketchup generically referred to preserved purée condiment sauces. Without qualification most people would have assumed ketchup to be mushroom ketchup, or perhaps walnut. Tomato ketchup was considered a faintly rustic variation that was exclusively made in the home. Tomatoes in general were just, in the Nineteenth Century, becoming commonly used in cuisine, having been considered by most cultures as poisonous before.

So: kecap is the probable etymological basis for the word ketchup, but ketchup (in English) never really referred to the same condiment sauces as kecap, and present-day ketchups have little in common with the first sauces called ketchup in English except the name.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

E: nucleicmaxid:hf:Indolent Bastard

2007 solidarity.

Kecap ikan is the most delicious stuff in the loving world when used properly.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

As far as the actual product goes, in the few years before the market was dominated by Heinz, ketchup was a puree made from vegetables that were going bad and needed a use before they would be thrown away. Adding a bunch of salt and vinegar made it keep a bit longer but as a sauce in America, it had a very very broad definition. The only reason Heinz was able to succeed the way it did was they had a massive infrastructure in place from their pickle production and were able to standardize the process and flavor.

Also salsa is a billion times better than ketchup.

*so basically what SubG said except you've gotta take my word on it because I don't provide dates or anything

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
curry ketchup is good though

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Code Jockey posted:

curry ketchup is good though

Currywurst is Germany's best cultural export.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Just sayin' there, chaps/chapettes, if we are talking about (bad) food, it's not unreasonable to expect someone to tell you what a regional dish is, ya smug bastiches!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I ate a mayonnaise sandwich last week. Best description would be like marmite on toast except mayonnaise spread thin on white bread. I didn't have any meat, so sue me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Banana sauce is so good. It's this stuff I buy from Superstore and it's red and vaguely ketchupey but good god is it tasty. In terms of food porn, a colleague was telling me yesterday about eating moose nose, and how it the texture is probably just like you'd imagine it is (slimy). A lot of older people from the aboriginal communities eat just about everything from the animal. She also mentioned her granny cooking and eating rabbit guts, eyes, etc.

• Locked thread