Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
only when its carrying your posts

snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

jetz0r posted:

new startup idea, selling nerds a slowcooker covered in LEDs, plus premixed bags of rice, lentils, beans, and a seasoning mix.

imply that a timer to set cooking at a certain time is a new feature, give it wifi and bluetooth, and this might be a good kickfarter

sinekumquat fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 16, 2015

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
crockstarter

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Verdafolio posted:

imply that a timer to set cooking at a certain time is a new feature, give it wifi and bluetooth, and this might be a good kickfarter

it's controlled by an app on your phone

gamify the experience to earn mealcoins! now with facebook and twitter integration!

also connects with grocerygateway.com to plan you shopping list with the help of today's top brands!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

did anyone say crapshitter yet :xd:

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

also connects with grocerygateway.com to plan you shopping list with the help of today's top brands!

automatically charges you $1000 a month for "meal pack" refills by default and you have to explicitly cancel it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Verdafolio posted:

automatically charges you $1000 a month for "meal pack" refills by default and you have to explicitly cancel it

yes, but it comes with a 30 day trial of "meal pack" premium service too

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

College Slice

yes, but it comes with a 30 day trial of "meal pack" premium service too

"meal boosters" which are just prechopped frozen meats or vegetables you just "toss in". and they're probably organic or some poo poo.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

my crockpot might be the only electric thing i've purchased in the past decade that doesn't have an LED on it :pwn:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh wait, it was a gift

ok the toaster then

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Verdafolio posted:

"meal boosters" which are just prechopped frozen meats or vegetables you just "toss in". and they're probably organic or some poo poo.

nobody steal this idea.

we're going to be millionaires.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Just buy morning star farms or quorn fake meat/chicken crumbles if you need a "meal starter".

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

College Slice

nobody steal this idea.

we're going to be millionaires.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

it's controlled by an app on your phone

internet_of_things.txt

seriously basically every internet-enabled kitchen appliance right now is basically "a normal appliance, except you can control it from your phone"

my favorite is probably the kitchen scale that has no display of its own so it's literally unusable unless you connect it to your ipad to use as a screen

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'll post just the title of the article

Tim Draper, Nas Back Bitcoin API Maker BlockCypher in $3 Million Round

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

lol there is an app controlled slow cooker

http://www.crock-pot.com/slow-cookers/wemo-enabled-smart-slow-cooker/SCCPWM600-V1.html

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

iot.jpg

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

wow, that person has several devices from the Holmes® brand. I better check them out, they must be great if that person likes them (Holmes® products) so much!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

that slow cooker costs nearly four times as much as a regular slow cooker of the same size http://www.crock-pot.com/slow-cookers/classic-slow-cookers/SCV603-R.html#prefn1=size&prefv1=6+Quart&start=1

the whole point of a slow cooker is that you turn it on and do nothing

why am i even typing any of this poo poo. the stupidity of this is self-evident

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Sniep posted:

wow, that person has several devices from the Holmes® brand. I better check them out, they must be great if that person likes them (Holmes® products) so much!

that humidifier costs two hundred dollars. http://www.holmesproducts.com/humidifiers/HCM3888C-U.html#start=1

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the fire sale has already begun http://www.holmesproducts.com/air-purifiers/WAP532-UA.html

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sniep posted:

i hope you also noticed that it's an iOS screenshot photoshopped onto an android

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what happened to kickstarter with small chips or sth like that to track your lost socks etc, btw?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

remember when people thought smart appliances were gonna do poo poo like notice you're almost out of milk and automatically buy more

except no one ever did because that takes actual competence and effort, and it's way easier to shove a wifi card in someone's fridge and have it report the current temperature setting to a simple web interface and a vc will still give you tens of millions of dollars for it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's probably better that still hasn't happened.

even ignoring the security implications of your web-enabled fridge having your credit card number, there are so many ways the system could fail hilariously due to sloppy coding and leave you with a pallet of 2% and a $2k grocery bill because a sensor errored out

look at how well your average consumer facing integrated system works and ask, do i want this to be able to autonomously make purchases on my behalf?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the iot pitch has been like every other popular science magazine cover idea.

the tech wasn't ready when it was conceived and by the time it is ready the problem won't exist any more (if it ever did)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

even ignoring the security implications of your web-enabled fridge having your credit card number, there are so many ways the system could fail hilariously due to sloppy coding and leave you with a pallet of 2% and a $2k grocery bill because a sensor errored out

look at how well your average consumer facing integrated system works and ask, do i want this to be able to autonomously make purchases on my behalf?

not to mention the entertaining things that will happen when a six year old child starts messing with the fridge

enjoy your $399 barrel of smurfberries

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

i cant wait to go for a week's summer vacation and come back to find three gallons of rancid milk on my front stoop

or having to make sure to keep my fridge, thermostat, hot water heater, and garage door opener fully appraised of my travel schedule at all times

the tech wasn't ready when it was conceived and by the time it is ready the problem won't exist any more (if it ever did)
its like those fumblng black-and-white "before" sections of infomercials. oh no i forgot to order milk now everything is ruined for all time! if only i had used the unfathomable power of the internet of things!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Presumably instead of just ordering food immediately, the fridge could create a shopping list and display it on the door for you to approve

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

College Slice

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

wemo is pure poo poo, half the time when you signal for the plug to turn on, it clicks but it doesn't pass electricity

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

flakeloaf posted:

not to mention the entertaining things that will happen when a six year old child starts messing with the fridge

enjoy your $399 barrel of smurfberries

feature not a bug.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 16, 2015

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Sagebrush posted:

Presumably instead of just ordering food immediately, the fridge could create a shopping list and display it on the door for you to approve

that's not disruptive enough for investor story time

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

the iot pitch has been like every other popular science magazine cover idea.

yeah. the original idea of internet of things wasn't really practical or desirable

but the original idea was at least to make things that were somehow useful, while now the entire internet of things ecosystem is composed entirely of garbage because everyone wants that sweet buzzword money from vcs but no one can think of anything actually useful to make

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

display's not good enough, it should print out the list on proprietary paper, along with coupons for things you've searched for on amazon or liked on g+

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Dolomite posted:

wemo is pure poo poo, half the time when you signal for the plug to turn on, it clicks but it doesn't pass electricity

we found the guy who bought a wemo!!!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

sure, it could, but this isn't what was touted

all of this stuff "works" conceptually, but implementing it in practice involves making so many concessions like that, that the end result isn't anything like the platform that was pitched.

manually reviewing the list created by your fridge and approving ordering is barely one step better than just logging in to grocerygateway and ordering everything yourself based off your last shopping list. which you can already do

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

i cant wait to go for a week's summer vacation and come back to find three gallons of rancid milk on my front stoop

or having to make sure to keep my fridge, thermostat, hot water heater, and garage door opener fully appraised of my travel schedule at all times

um dude they would all totally know you weren't home because they would read your gps coordinates from your phone to know you were of town and also that you hadn't opened the doors it like x hours/days

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

cook.ly

now how do I invest?

with a no dilution clause so each subsequent round of suckers investors winds up having to pay me off, of course

food pyramid scheme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

um dude they would all totally know you weren't home because they would read your gps coordinates from your phone to know you were of town and also that you hadn't opened the doors it like x hours/days

iot is aware of your schedule because it's integrated with your PIM

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah. the original idea of internet of things wasn't really practical or desirable

but the original idea was at least to make things that were somehow useful, while now the entire internet of things ecosystem is composed entirely of garbage because everyone wants that sweet buzzword money from vcs but no one can think of anything actually useful to make

the idea of integrating all your individual systems isn't bad, it's just practically unlikely to be functional.

conceptually, having your fridge talk to your budgeting software and cupons.com to order your shopping automatically within your budget and knowing to avoid perishables the week before your month-long cruise after seeing it in your calendar is pretty cool.

actually implementing that in a way that works even 50% of the time seems almost impossible unless you're working with a totally closed ecosystem (ala apple) and even then there are so many edge cases that you would spend more time fixing them manually than just doing everything yourself in the first place

• Locked thread