Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Joementum posted:

The RNC did this today:

"RESOLVED, that the Republican National Committee proclaims, “Je suis Charlie.”"

Let's all have freedom fries, because the terrists hate us AND France for are freedoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah , easy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kin_selection

Also ignoring heartless Wall Streeter D's would be ignoring the majority of the party so I don't think it's fair to exclude them.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

zoux posted:

Yeah , easy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kin_selection

Also ignoring heartless Wall Streeter D's would be ignoring the majority of the party so I don't think it's fair to exclude them.

You're right. I guess I should have stuck with "conservative" vs. "liberal" rather than segue into the political parties.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
IN A WORLD where Reince Priebus is the RNC Chairman.... he'll make a movie trailer about himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhd_JeI3qrE

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

IN A WORLD where Reince Priebus is the RNC Chairman.... he'll make a movie trailer about himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhd_JeI3qrE

Wasn't leaving Las Vegas already made?

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

A Winner is Jew posted:

::golfclap: I chuckled most heartily.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How far do y'all think this Romney '16 poo poo is going to go? So far the reaction from the party and pundits has been overwhelmingly negative, there's no way he's in the first primary debate right?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Does Priebus still get sloshed in all public appearances?

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

zoux posted:

How far do y'all think this Romney '16 poo poo is going to go? So far the reaction from the party and pundits has been overwhelmingly negative, there's no way he's in the first primary debate right?

I would not be supirsed to see him in the first few debates. Beyond that i just dont think you can run again after you have been the final candidate.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

AcidRonin posted:

I would not be supirsed to see him in the first few debates. Beyond that i just dont think you can run again after you have been the final candidate.
Richard Nixon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AcidRonin posted:

REAGAN RAN THREE TIMES.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
USPol February: It's Turtlechat All the Way Down

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the text of a proposed RNC resolution vis a vis Obama's lawless immigration policy.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

He's still polling higher than Bush in several area's. I really don't think Jeb is going to get the nomination with his soft spot for immigrants.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I love the talk about "outdated technology" from the people who want to build a giant loving wall on the border. I mean I would be considered conservative on border security by most people on here but even I think that's a ridiculous waste and "outdated technology" given how easy surveillance is now with new technology.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Iowa and a hilarious corn dog at the very least.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

EugeneJ posted:

Chris Christie brings Art Garfunkel to France for a duet of "Bridge Over Troubled Water"

Oh god no. Mr. Garfunkel's still not ready for crowds. He's getting much better, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apparenlty the RNC is announcing one debate a month starting in August, then 3 in Feb following the Iowa caucus and 2 in March. That's 11 debates :getin:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
In order to reach out to Iowa voters Mitt Romney will conduct his first debate there dressed as a ear of corn.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well it's either nine or eleven, depending on how solid the March dates are. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/01/16/rnc-announces-nine-sanctioned-presidential-debates/

Also this could be huge.

quote:

Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. on Friday barred local and state police from using federal law to seize cash, cars and other property without evidence that a crime occurred.

Holder’s action represents the most sweeping check on police power to confiscate personal property since the seizures began three decades ago as part of the war on drugs.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And none of them will be on MSNBC, because of course.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

If it was both 9 and 11 I think we would see Giuliani try again.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

A Winner is Jew posted:

A Winner is Jew posted:

If it was both 9 and 11 I think we would see Giuliani try again.

You're on a roll today, sir.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

zoux posted:

Here's the text of a proposed RNC resolution vis a vis Obama's lawless immigration policy.

So about that second WHERAS..... can you just ignore the results of TWO national elections and make declarations about what the american people belive based on nothing? Like what makes you think the majority of Americans dont agree with it?

Also RE: running after being a candidate, i meant like these days in this media situation. You old rear end men :corsair:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AcidRonin posted:

can you just ignore the results of TWO national elections and make declarations about what the american people belive based on nothing?

Uh you just laid out the GOP's entire media strategy man.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

If I remember right most didn't want him running in 2012 at all. It seemed every month or so Fox would have a preferred candidate that wouldn't hold up well to scrutiny at all then they'd move to the next candidate. Eventually just Mitt remained because he was the most vanilla of them all.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Should probably get its own thread, though what exactly "evidence that a crime occurred" means is pretty loving important (and it is pretty worrying that was not part of it to begin with).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Gravel Gravy posted:

If I remember right most didn't want him running in 2012 at all. It seemed every month or so Fox would have a preferred candidate that wouldn't hold up well to scrutiny at all then they'd move to the next candidate. Eventually just Mitt remained because he was the most vanilla of them all.

The hard right didn't want him but the establishment did. That's why his support stayed relatively stable while the parade of idiots took turns being the idiot king.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

zoux posted:

Uh you just laid out the GOP's entire media strategy man.

Son of a bitch your right.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Should probably get its own thread, though what exactly "evidence that a crime occurred" means is pretty loving important (and it is pretty worrying that was not part of it to begin with).

Why wouldn't states just go ahead and continue asset forfeiture under their own laws?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

zoux posted:

Why wouldn't states just go ahead and continue asset forfeiture under their own laws?

Federal law is easier and funnels the proceeds to the police department, while many states put the money in the general fund instead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Federal law is easier and funnels the proceeds to the police department, while many states put the money in the general fund instead.

It'll be interesting to see if states are able to modify their own laws to mirror the old federal system or if there is enough political will to stop it.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
whoops wrong thread

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

As stated in the article almost all of them go into the states general fund as opposed to the agency that did the bust themselves like the one Holder just canceled allowed. Sure cops will still abuse that poo poo but cases like the ones in Texas & Florida where cops ran something that mobs could only dream of would be out of the question.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I know it's not even the right font, but I went and checked the front page of The Onion out of desperation anyway.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
There's literally no bounds to the glee I feel that civil forfeiture may, hopefully, finally be coming to an end. Anything to put more pressure on police budgets and less pressure on citizens.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

The charm offensive continues.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jim Webb is going to live tweet his reaction to the State of the Union.

Reince Priebus has been elected to a third term as Chairman of the RNC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Common core doesn't prescribe how material is taught, merely what the goals are. It absolutely does not dictate instructional methodologies, and there is nothing in common core preventing teachers from using best practices, nor from teaching critical thinking or problem solving. There are problems with the education system; a common set of standards to target is not one of them.

Oh ho ho ho, my sweet summer child. Someone told you this, and you believed it, didn't you? Let's say you're a Latin teacher, like I am. You teach at an American school, which means the school is desperate for funding. But let's think; where does Latin fit in the Common Core curriculum? Ah yes! A foreign language, so of course, it fits into the carefully-constructed Common Core Foreign Language standards, FORTY PERCENT OF WHICH have to do with speaking the language conversationally, and listening to conversations.

That kind of Latin instruction died at Cambridge in the 17th loving century. Since then, Latin has been taught as an academic language, focused on translation, grammar, and derivatives. Well, TOO BAD, past 400 years of Latin pedagogy! Your principal can't conceive of any of his classes scoring poorly on the new end of course exam, so even though we can't afford new books, and conversational Latin is surprisingly difficult, YOU'RE DOIN THE poo poo. We're dictating your instructional methodology, giving you a pacing guide, and we're cancelling the State Forums and other things you do that don't fit into the new Common Core definition of Latin as a foreign language just like Spanish and French.

Oh, and PS: We have no idea who's writing the Latin exam, but it can't be any of the teachers in the district, of course. I'm SURE it will be totally authentic and valid.

This is the danger of Common Core: If you're not in a CORE subject, your subject and entire teaching style may be subject to very intense square-pegging right into your round and tender hole. Sure, what you said is true about Math, English, and Science, but if you're in other, perfectly valid subject areas, the Common Core seems carefully designed to squeeze you right out of the curriculum. This is what happens when corporations think they understand education.

A complete set of national standards is like a perfect sphere; something that can be easily imagined and talked about, but that is absolutely impossible, by definition, to create in the real world.

• Locked thread