Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

morestuff posted:

I also assume the movie has positives other than "look at this kid at different ages"

I loved that it didn't beat you over the head with who is right, who is wrong, it's just the parts of this kid's life that made him what he is and it's up to you to decide who was a positive influence and who wasn't.

I've never seen a movie that felt more like real life, like watching a nephew grow up into the man he was.

The only complaint is it always looked like he'd been dusted with dirt for some reason and I guess that EW cover captures that. Maybe a little too well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The idea also reminded me of the film "Everyday" which did a similar thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everyday_%28film%29

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Edit: never mind.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

kiimo posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you

Hahaha, not everyone has to like it.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Invalid Validation posted:

No seriously, what does clickbait movie mean?

What I meant was that movie's subject is exactly the kind of poo poo you'd see on a clickbait website like Buzzfeed or Upworthy or whatever. And it probably actually was on those websites. "This Terminally Ill Child Wished to Be Batman. You Won't Believe What Happened Next!"

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'll get around to watching Boyhood, though there's a good chance I might be one of those people who finds it not engaging beyond the gimmick.

"Hoop Dreams" is a good "watch these teens grow up" movie.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Criminal Minded posted:

What I meant was that movie's subject is exactly the kind of poo poo you'd see on a clickbait website like Buzzfeed or Upworthy or whatever. And it probably actually was on those websites. "This Terminally Ill Child Wished to Be Batman. You Won't Believe What Happened Next!"

But that's basically any schmaltzy feel-good movie from the last several decades. You Won't Believe How [insert underdog] Overcame the Odds.

The problem you may be having with it is it seems like the kind of cute one-off event that you'd see covered in a Youtube video. In fact, there already were several Youtube videos about it, including one on the official Make A Wish account, that made the rounds over a year ago (which were probably then linked around with clickbait headlines elsewhere). It makes the movie feel redundant.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Davros1 posted:

The idea also reminded me of the film "Everyday" which did a similar thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everyday_%28film%29
If you include documentaries I think it's hard to beat the Up series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
None of your examples of films that did the same thing as Boyhood actually did the same thing as Boyhood.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Criminal Minded posted:

Yeah. The whole Batkid thing was really cool and a great example of a community doing something nice, but everything after the initial day seems more like everybody patting themselves on the back for how nice they were and how cool they can be.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Whenever I see "Batkid" I think ATKID.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Yoshifan823 posted:

Yeah. The whole Batkid thing was really cool and a great example of a community doing something nice, but everything after the initial day seems more like everybody patting themselves on the back for how nice they were and how cool they can be.

It was actually a grossly immature waste of resources from all involved with the singular goal of getting to pat themselves on the back, but sure.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

soapgish posted:

It was actually a grossly immature waste of resources from all involved with the singular goal of getting to pat themselves on the back, but sure.

So are you always a giant shitstain? gently caress that kid, amirite.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

So are you always a giant shitstain? gently caress that kid, amirite.

The exact same result could have been achieved in a warehouse with a few actors. To make it a city-wide event costing millions of dollars was an act of vanity, pure and simple. A lot of children could have had wishes granted on that dime but narcissism prevailed. Don't be a bitch about it.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

soapgish posted:

The exact same result could have been achieved in a warehouse with a few actors. To make it a city-wide event costing millions of dollars was an act of vanity, pure and simple. A lot of children could have had wishes granted on that dime but narcissism prevailed. Don't be a bitch about it.

As a bay area resident, I totally agree with you. But I've learned to keep my mouth shut about it because everyone I know in the city gets all holier-than-thou about the whole thing

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

soapgish posted:

This is a valid point if the solitary goal was making the kid happy. It could be argued the goal was also making the entire city happy, which it seems to have done. At that point, it's no crazier than a parade or the 'Local Source Of Pride' events that a lot of cities hold.

Obviously there was a lot of back patting, but truthfully, that is present in most charity situations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress that kid, amirite.

Then he had the audacity to go and not die. Way to screw up the narrative.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

soapgish posted:

I agree that all charity is nothing more than narcissistic pat backing bullshit. Why do something if it only makes you feel good, right.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Madkal posted:

I agree that all charity is nothing more than narcissistic pat backing bullshit. Why do something if it only makes you feel good, right.

So did you intentionally miss his whole point here, or what?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Madkal posted:

Except that poster isn't saying charity is narcissistic bullshit. They are saying that specific instance was, and instead of spending all that money on one kid, they could have done more for more kids.

While I think it's awesome for the kid and glad he got something really cool since he's in a terrible life position, I don't see why it's wrong for someone to point out that the scale of this wish fulfillment amounts to a giant PR move for the wish makers.

Edit:
I will note, that as a country we waste way more money on less positive bullshit, so I can't really be outraged about a charity spending its money.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TheJoker138 posted:

So did you intentionally miss his whole point here, or what?

It seemed that the point that was being raised was that the whole thing was a waste of time and effort because people diverted resources and made a big deal to make themselves feel superior and good. Also something about a sick kid.

edit: Massive PR could lead to more donations to make more kid's wishes come true, maybe?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Madkal posted:

It seemed that the point that was being raised was that the whole thing was a waste of time and effort because people diverted resources and made a big deal to make themselves feel superior and good. Also something about a sick kid.

No, it's actually this:

MacheteZombie posted:

Except that poster isn't saying charity is narcissistic bullshit. They are saying that specific instance was, and instead of spending all that money on one kid, they could have done more for more kids.

While I think it's awesome for the kid and glad he got something really cool since he's in a terrible life position, I don't see why it's wrong for someone to point out that the scale of this wish fulfillment amounts to a giant PR move for the wish makers.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Madkal posted:

edit: Massive PR could lead to more donations to make more kid's wishes come true, maybe?

If they need more donations why spend so much on one wish instead of trying to spread it out and make your PR campaign about how you're trying to reach more kids? (answer: because Batkid makes a way cooler video)

I get your point, and I don't necessarily agree that Batkid is a waste of money, just that people acting like everyone wants the kid to die because they find the use of funds to be extravagant when there's plenty of kids who could use wishes is an incorrect argument.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 16, 2015

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Its not like wishes stopped, so I dont know what his loving point was. And as it was pointed out, this just leads to people donating more if they can throw something off on this scale.

Will they do something as large again? Who knows. But if you donate you can help more kids.

In the end it's some dumb loving bitter goonlords autistic brain going beep boop *finances spent too high on single kid*.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Lotsa cool dudes with wicked sarcasm skillz in the movie posters thread.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

In the end it's some dumb loving bitter goonlords autistic brain going beep boop *finances spent too high on single kid*.
Except it's only you beeping and booping like a "loving bitter goonlord austic" person.

kiimo posted:

Then he had the audacity to go and not die. Way to screw up the narrative.
Yeah, well, maybe in the sequel someone will snap his spine and throw him down a hole.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

To get this back on some sort of track, this is a hilariously worse poster than the first one they put out

It's a lovely movie though, so having a bad poster isn't that much a big deal.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

soapgish posted:

Yeah, well, maybe in the sequel someone will snap his spine and throw him down a hole.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

poo poo I've never laughed harder than in Mac and Me once it kicks into gear. It's one of those rare bad movies that starts off slow and boring as hell but just gets better and better.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Lizard Combatant posted:

poo poo I've never laughed harder than in Mac and Me once it kicks into gear. It's one of those rare bad movies that starts off slow and boring as hell but just gets better and better.

The choreographed dance sequence at the McDonalds is one of the most incredible scenes in film.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
For those who have not yet experienced said scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdvO0tmNjGo

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mac's ill-fitting bear mask with the cut-out eye holes looks like something that you'd find in a horror movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I like this poster:

Not so much this one:

Sorry for the size couldn't find a decent larger one.

Also the new title is really bad.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

MacheteZombie posted:

I like this poster:

Not so much this one:

Sorry for the size couldn't find a decent larger one.

Also the new title is really bad.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

No don't walk into that marker! That's how you get necromorphs :ohdear:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacheteZombie posted:

I like this poster:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

I like this poster:

CelticPredator posted:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I like the idea of the Battle: LA poster but I feel like there's something about the composition that's lacking. Also the helicopters are silly looking.

The movie loving sucked too.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Yodzilla posted:

I like the idea of the Battle: LA poster but I feel like there's something about the composition that's lacking. Also the helicopters are silly looking.

I think it's because the soldier is so big in the frame that the alien thing in the background gets reduced in comparison. If the soldier were smaller, like even in the Alien Outpost poster, facing off against a giant alien construct would convey more of that desperate battle feeling. Also those helicopters are dumb.

Alien Outpost really reminds me of Mass Effect for some reason, though. I think most of those posters were "generic white dude facing camera" instead, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yodzilla posted:

The movie loving sucked too.

They did a real bad job with the spaceship.

Here's a quick fix I did. No idea if it makes it better or not, but you don't see the bad photoshop job as clearly as you do in the original.