Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

I got a Tab S8.4 last Wednesday. Is it normal for it to lose 1% an hour on standby battery wise?

Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ConanThe3rd posted:

I got a Tab S8.4 last Wednesday. Is it normal for it to lose 1% an hour on standby battery wise?

I ask this because, like an idiot, I goggled about the battery life to see what the numbers were like and I landed face first into the XDA forms with a bunch of people whining royal about it and basically doing the "Web MD oh christ I have cancer" thing on my new tablet because the first few power cycles were a bit lacking clocking in about a day between standby and two and a bit hours OST, I later understood that most of it was taken up by the indexing service reading my SD Card cuz one of the pdfs on it was junked to hell and back.

1% sounds pretty good. Don't worry about it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

1% sounds pretty good. Don't worry about it.
I wouldn't call it "good" but it could be a lot worse. My Nexus 7 can idle for over a week.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I ask this because, like an idiot, I goggled about the battery life to see what the numbers were like and I landed face first into the XDA forms with a bunch of people whining royal about it and basically doing the "Web MD oh christ I have cancer" thing on my new tablet because the first few power cycles were a bit lacking clocking in about a day between standby and two and a bit hours OST, I later understood that most of it was taken up by the indexing service reading my SD Card cuz one of the pdfs on it was junked to hell and back.

I've had my Tab S 8.4 LTE for a couple of months now and I obsessed over battery life and settings for several weeks, a large part of it was probably being really unsure about moving from my iPad to an Android tablet even though I knew it was a much better fit for my needs (I've fallen in love with Push Bullet, work runs on Google Apps, personal life runs on Google...)

It's definitely a step down from the iPad on battery life but just don't obsess, it will get through the day.

http://www.att.com/cases/samsung-book-cover-samsung-galaxy-tab-s84.html#sku=sku7380249

Buy this right loving now, I couldn't bring myself to pay $60 for this case but it's an absolute steal at $30, I like it almost as much as my leather smart cover for my iPad, the tab latch works amazingly well, it looks good feels good and protects the tablet very well.

Also I will throw this in here, I was the first to say buying a tablet with 3G/4G was a stupid loving waste of money with the old plans but for $10 a month on my new plan + no interest financing buy a LTE tablet, the convenience is amazing, I don't even think about it, it automatically latches on to the WiFi networks at home, the gym and work and otherwise it always has a high speed connection. And every app I have run into is smart enough to tell the difference between WiFi and WLAN and not suck down a bunch of data on WLAN.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Has anyone bought a Nexus 9 lately? Are the manufacturing issues at release still a big problem? I wound up returning mine, but I'd probably buy it again if they fixed the buttons, flexing back, and light bleed.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh no, I was right on top of getting a case, it's not the official one but it's a nice rugged thing. I swear by minisuit myself. (not that there's one for the 8.4 afik)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh no, I was right on top of getting a case, it's not the official one but it's a nice rugged thing. I swear by minisuit myself. (not that there's one for the 8.4 afik)

I was too, the official case is seriously awesome, especially the way that it snaps directly into the tablet. I don't know if it is $60 awesome but it is absolutely $30 amazing.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Three Olives posted:

I like it almost as much as my leather smart cover for my iPad.
That is one way to tell me that you have the exact opposite taste in cases to me. I find the apple cases to be absolute junk, as the stand is terribly unstable in both positions.

Wifi and WLAN are the same thing btw, You mean WAN.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

flipoff posted:

Has anyone bought a Nexus 9 lately? Are the manufacturing issues at release still a big problem? I wound up returning mine, but I'd probably buy it again if they fixed the buttons, flexing back, and light bleed.

I got one two weeks ago, it has none of those issues as far as I can tell. Bought directly from Google.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

So, bought a Nexus 9 to see if the Android tablet space has remotely caught up to the iPad's like it already has with phones...

That's a resounding "NO".

Backlight bleed all across the top bezel, terrible, terrible buttons....

I _do_ think it's the perfect size; the iPad Air is just a lil' too big and the Mini a lil' too small.

The app situation, outside of Google's native stuff, is just criminal.

Back it goes :(

(I do love my Nexus 6 though)

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Did 5.0.2 fix the jankiness on Nexus 7s? I rolled back to KK because Lollipop was so bad.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Nostratic posted:

Did 5.0.2 fix the jankiness on Nexus 7s? I rolled back to KK because Lollipop was so bad.

My 2013 model has been pretty good on 5.01

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

smr posted:

So, bought a Nexus 9 to see if the Android tablet space has remotely caught up to the iPad's like it already has with phones...
You bought a lovely $350 tablet with widely reported build quality issues to compare to a $500 Apple flagship, this seems like a smart idea.

Maybe you should compare against a Tab S or a Fire HDX or a Z2 tablet? (The iPad may still be better for you but not due to QC issues at least)

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I don't blame him for having those expectations as my tab pro seems to have fantastic build quality and was notably cheaper, I have had a couple of iPad users notice my tablet and tell me it looks sleek as hell. I would be pretty pissed if I dropped more than $300 on a device and got inconsistent or crappy build. Not to mention the fact that you're assuming $500 is a fair asking price for an iPad, forgetting the fact that you will always pay a premium for the Apple branding (course, I can't argue with the fact that the App Store is much more mature in the Apple ecosystem).

I mean the Nexus is supposed to be the flagship Android device isn't it?

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 16, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

You bought a lovely $350 tablet with widely reported build quality issues to compare to a $500 Apple flagship, this seems like a smart idea.

Maybe you should compare against a Tab S or a Fire HDX or a Z2 tablet? (The iPad may still be better for you but not due to QC issues at least)
The Nexus tablet should be the best Android tablet experience because it's literally the official target device for tablets. If it's not the best experience then it's Google's fault.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Yeah, it's somewhat unfair to criticize the entirety of Android tablets because of a particular device. On the other hand, all they had to do was make a 2013 Nexus 7, but bigger, and they failed at that. Doesn't really matter who is to blame at that point, it's a step backwards and does cast a shadow over platform as a result.

I use both an iPad Mini and 2013 Nexus 7 on a daily basis. Both are solid tablets on their own, although there's certain things I prefer about each platform. At one time it was embarassing when most of Google's first-party applications had better iOS versions than Android, but that's no longer the case for the most part.

Oh, since, the LTE Nexus 7 still hasn't gotten the KK OTA I've ignored that completely. Don't feel the pressure to upgrade on that and I'd rather wait for the dust to settle anyways.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

smr posted:

That's a resounding "NO".

Backlight bleed all across the top bezel, terrible, terrible buttons....

I _do_ think it's the perfect size; the iPad Air is just a lil' too big and the Mini a lil' too small.

Back it goes :(

(I do love my Nexus 6 though)

Get a tab S and your build quality issues will go away.

Samsung owns the android tablet space for good reason.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Does Samsung or anyone else in Android land make a 4:3 tablet besides the N9?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Does Samsung or anyone else in Android land make a 4:3 tablet besides the N9?
Nokia.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

There are also one or two by HP, but they haven't been winning any critical acclaim.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Lately I've been torn between getting a tab s and throwing the google now launcher on it, or just waiting and hoping whatever nexus tablet they make next is better than the 9.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

flipoff posted:

Lately I've been torn between getting a tab s and throwing the google now launcher on it, or just waiting and hoping whatever nexus tablet they make next is better than the 9.

Unless they decide to just make an upgraded Nexus 7, I'd go with a Tab S with Nova/Google Now or whatever launcher you want. Multiwindow is a fantastic thing to have on your tablet.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Guillermus posted:

Unless they decide to just make an upgraded Nexus 7, I'd go with a Tab S with Nova/Google Now or whatever launcher you want. Multiwindow is a fantastic thing to have on your tablet.

Can you still get the multi window functionality if you're using another launcher in place of touchwiz? I assumed you'd give up all the samsung bells and whistles by using a new launcher.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Syrinxx posted:

It's marketed as the loving flagship Android tablet, so yes, I'm going to compare it to its competition, which is the goddamned iPad.

Point being that there are NO Android tablets that can compete yet, unlike in the phone space, and I'd really like to see that reversed as there ARE things I prefer about the Android ecosystem that I'd love have in a tablet, but not enough to outweigh the downsides.

Christ, the excuses people will make when their favey-fave piece of hardware is actually judged fairly against its competition...

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

smr posted:

I've never had an issue with this, but then, I mostly use my tablet for games and web browsing.

Would you mind providing a few examples?

smr
Dec 18, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I looked at it hard but, in the end, I know I can't stand Touchwiz from looking at people's S5's and Notes whereas I like Lollipop quite a bit. And it also wouldn't solve the abysmal app market problem.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm with you--Android tablets are pretty poo poo, with the exception of the 2nd gen N7. I don't know how Google can go from such a nice tablet there to a total screwup with the N9.

I also immediately disqualify any tablet vendor that 'enhances' Android by adding a different launcher or whatnot. Why in the world do I want some crap UI that also means I'll get updates way slower than normal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The app situation is highly subjective depending on what you use. Outside of Facebook (which sucks on every platform in its own special way) I cannot recall the last time I used an app that didn't have a tablet optimized layout.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

smr posted:

It's marketed as the loving flagship Android tablet

Uh, was it? As far as I can tell it was barely marketed at all and more of as a 64 bit Lollipop quasi-reference design with a weirdo SOC and otherwise mediocre specs, it doesn't even have a native LTE modem because of their weirdo SOC.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Rastor posted:

I've never had an issue with this, but then, I mostly use my tablet for games and web browsing.

Would you mind providing a few examples?

I don't game or really browse the web, I like to pump content through dedicated apps and use my tablet mostly for reading things. I don't watch movies, either, so when I tried out the Nexus 7, for example, I didn't care for it because the aspect resolution is much better for watching than reading media. Nexus 9 doesn't have that issue, at least. I like the size/form factor a lot on the 9.

So, things like a decent FB app, a very good Twitter app, Kindle app (I'm content-invested in Amazon for books and love reading on my Voyager as well so Calibre'ing to another e-book app isn't something that would work for me), RSS reader, Pocket, etc., all matter a lot.

The FB app sucks, it's just the phone app blown up, and the mobile website version doesn't cut it for me as I like real-time notifications.

For Twitter, there are some nice clients, but working sync between phone and tablet is critical and the only apps that even try do it via Tweetmarker, and Tweetmarker works for poo poo. Tweetbot on iOS is perfect on this front using iCloud and also syncs to an OSX client, which is golden.

The Android Kindle app has the bonus of allowing you to buy content directly, unlike iOS's, but it's jankier in other ways. For example, it doesn't open the book you're currently reading automatically when you open the app. A little thing, but annoys me.

RSS readers, Press is okay but Reeder kicks it in the tits.

Pocket is a wash, same on both platforms.

Other things: whereas Lollipop seems fine and spiffy and my Nexus 6, it seems a bit jankier on the 9 in terms of getting around. It's way easier to, like, overscroll or underscroll things, mis-tap... the bezel detection for "I'm just holding the device here, don't register taps" isn't as good as iOS's, I was turning pages in Chrome and Kindle when I didn't intend to much more often than I do with the iPad. I still prefer Lollipop's/Android/s cross-app integration, though, iOS is getting better at this but Android's just works.

I dunno... moreso than I do on my phones, I want Android's ability to arrange icons and widgets on my tablet. I really dig that. I love love love the size/form factor of the 9. But Google needs to either roll their own tablet apps (their Lollipop apps are very nice but even a lot of those don't quite make proper use of the extra screen space the way good iOS tablet apps do) or start bribing the big apps to do a better job on their own. The weird stutteriness I detect on the 9 might be addressable in hardware, but it's just not present AT ALL on a current-gen iPad.

I'm not some Apple fanboi who thinks Steve Jobs shat gold, I've basically always had a flagship iOS and flagship Android phone going back years now and flip back and forth depending on mood. I also have a Mac and Windows laptop at home and do likewise. I just don't think Android, in the tablet realm, is really competing at all yet. If this is the flagship, and Google is sure as hell saying it is, it's not there yet.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

I'm with you--Android tablets are pretty poo poo, with the exception of the 2nd gen N7. I don't know how Google can go from such a nice tablet there to a total screwup with the N9.

I also immediately disqualify any tablet vendor that 'enhances' Android by adding a different launcher or whatnot. Why in the world do I want some crap UI that also means I'll get updates way slower than normal.

The N7 _was_ nice except that the form factor didn't really work for me, but it was pocketable as poo poo and, apps aside, did the trick for me for a while compared to the available iPads at the time. The N9... doesn't.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Three Olives posted:

Uh, was it? As far as I can tell it was barely marketed at all and more of as a 64 bit Lollipop quasi-reference design with a weirdo SOC and otherwise mediocre specs, it doesn't even have a native LTE modem because of their weirdo SOC.

If you're trying to tell me that the Nexus 9 isn't Google's shot at "this is what we think the Lollipop Android experience should be" we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

flipoff posted:

Can you still get the multi window functionality if you're using another launcher in place of touchwiz? I assumed you'd give up all the samsung bells and whistles by using a new launcher.

Multi window remains when you install a different launcher on the tab s. I'll give only a half hearted recommendation for the tab s.

The hardware is amazing especially the display. It is objectively the BEST display you can buy in tablets including apple. Full coverage of both srgb and adobe rgb. It just oozes quality. I like the in hand feel of it much better than the air 2 which my wife has.

However, touchwiz is obnoxious and I rooted it to remove most of what makes it obnoxious. Make sure you root and install gravitybox on this thing. Even then you cant get rid of the stain of touchwiz. This really should have been the nexus 9.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

smr posted:

If you're trying to tell me that the Nexus 9 isn't Google's shot at "this is what we think the Lollipop Android experience should be" we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

That's not the same thing as a flagship, Nexus devices haven't ever really pushed specs, have they? It's a solid, mostly unfucked with middle of the road tablet, nothing more.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

smr posted:

I don't game or really browse the web, I like to pump content through dedicated apps and use my tablet mostly for reading things. I don't watch movies, either, so when I tried out the Nexus 7, for example, I didn't care for it because the aspect resolution is much better for watching than reading media. Nexus 9 doesn't have that issue, at least. I like the size/form factor a lot on the 9.

So, things like a decent FB app, a very good Twitter app, Kindle app (I'm content-invested in Amazon for books and love reading on my Voyager as well so Calibre'ing to another e-book app isn't something that would work for me), RSS reader, Pocket, etc., all matter a lot.

The FB app sucks, it's just the phone app blown up, and the mobile website version doesn't cut it for me as I like real-time notifications.

For Twitter, there are some nice clients, but working sync between phone and tablet is critical and the only apps that even try do it via Tweetmarker, and Tweetmarker works for poo poo. Tweetbot on iOS is perfect on this front using iCloud and also syncs to an OSX client, which is golden.

The Android Kindle app has the bonus of allowing you to buy content directly, unlike iOS's, but it's jankier in other ways. For example, it doesn't open the book you're currently reading automatically when you open the app. A little thing, but annoys me.

Pocket is a wash, same on both platforms.

Ah, I don't use Facebook or Twitter, but I understand a lot of people do, so maybe those stand out for people using apps on their tablet. Twitter, specifically, has some kind of stupid Samsung exclusive deal for their tablet version.

For RSS I use The Old Reader as my data store and gReader Pro as my app on both phone and tablet and I think it's really nice. The developer updated for Lollipop / material design quickly.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Nexus 9 is Google's flagship tablet but it isn't by any means Android's flagship. There are better built android tablets and some have better features when it comes to your tablet experience. If you talk about specific apps then well, it's the developer's fault (like the lovely FB app). I don't know how Apple manages that to be honest all I know is that they have more tablet optimized (or even specific) ones.

I'm one of the Touchwiz haters but between my phone (Galaxy S4) wich was flashed to AOSP or Google Edition roms and an actual Samsung tablet, touchwiz isn't as bad unless you really, really can't stand the settings menu wich is horrible but by any means unusable. Samsung gets all the hate while LG and HTC love to do their thing with this too.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Three Olives posted:

That's not the same thing as a flagship, Nexus devices haven't ever really pushed specs, have they? It's a solid, mostly unfucked with middle of the road tablet, nothing more.

Flagship isn't always about specs, I mean, Apple barely releases any for their devices. It's the top tablet available by the actual developer of the OS.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

smr posted:

It's marketed as the loving flagship Android tablet, so yes, I'm going to compare it to its competition, which is the goddamned iPad.

Point being that there are NO Android tablets that can compete yet, unlike in the phone space, and I'd really like to see that reversed as there ARE things I prefer about the Android ecosystem that I'd love have in a tablet, but not enough to outweigh the downsides.

Christ, the excuses people will make when their favey-fave piece of hardware is actually judged fairly against its competition...

Just FYI, you sound way crazier about this than he did.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Guillermus posted:

The Nexus 9 is Google's flagship tablet but it isn't by any means Android's flagship. There are better built android tablets and some have better features when it comes to your tablet experience. If you talk about specific apps then well, it's the developer's fault (like the lovely FB app). I don't know how Apple manages that to be honest all I know is that they have more tablet optimized (or even specific) ones.

Do any of the other flagship tablets actually run Lollipop yet? I'd think that a "flagship" should be running at least the latest major release version of its OS to be considered as such.

As for the app develops, everything I've seen shows that it just doesn't pay to develop quality Android tablet apps. The phones barely suffice for the effort because there's so fuckin' many Android phones out there, but the tablet market is just dominated by the iPad and the smaller comparative number of tablets out there combined with the lower-willingness of the average Android user to actually pay for an app compared to the average iOS user makes this not something many app devs want to bother with. There's a couple good articles out there from dev makers with the numbers breakdown on this stuff that I've come across.

Hence why I think, if Google really wants to compete in this space, they need to start shoveling some of their cash at the devs to get these apps built.

Guillermus posted:

I'm one of the Touchwiz haters but between my phone (Galaxy S4) wich was flashed to AOSP or Google Edition roms and an actual Samsung tablet, touchwiz isn't as bad unless you really, really can't stand the settings menu wich is horrible but by any means unusable. Samsung gets all the hate while LG and HTC love to do their thing with this too.

I had an HTC One m7 and Sense was way, way, WAY more tolerable than Touchwiz has ever managed. Haven't had a non-Nexus LG device ever. I've dicked around with rooted Samsung devices and you can MOSTLY get the Touchwiz stain out but that just makes it that more jarring when some un-modifiable piece of it does throw up in your eyes, like that settings menu or the persistent top bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

smr posted:

Seriously? Reeder is one of those apps that somehow got in early and became famous, despite being very average.
It doesn't even have table stakes features like night mode last I checked.

There are plenty of better RSS readers on both iOS and Android.