Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

You guys will like this, KSP style landing of a SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 first stage on a floating landing pad... only it went slightly wrong:
Video: https://vine.co/v/OjqeYWWpVWK (Make sure you have sound on)
Screencap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about rockets exploding in real life as I am in my video games.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
That's cool. The guy in charge said the thought they didn't get any good footage at first because of the weather conditions, so I never went looking.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
They definitely kerbal'd that thing

:jeb:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Zaran posted:

You guys will like this, KSP style landing of a SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 first stage on a floating landing pad... only it went slightly wrong:
Screencap:

The way Elon put it, it sounded like it just hit the deck hard and smashed poo poo up, not TRIED LANDING AT AN ANGLE AND EXPLODED ON IMPACT

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Met posted:

If I knew anything about modding I would just pull out everything but the cockpit and airbrakes.

If you go into the B9 mod directory under GameData you should be able to root around and find the .cfg files that correspond to each part. Deleting one will take the part out of your game. IIRC the B9 files have relatively descriptive and sane names, so you should be able to get rid of everything that isn't a cockpit or airbrake without too much trouble.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Clark Nova posted:

If you go into the B9 mod directory under GameData you should be able to root around and find the .cfg files that correspond to each part. Deleting one will take the part out of your game. IIRC the B9 files have relatively descriptive and sane names, so you should be able to get rid of everything that isn't a cockpit or airbrake without too much trouble.

Also KSP will load faster!

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Splode posted:

SSTO spaceplanes :laugh:

Rude.

Vetitum posted:

KSP gets a shout out in the Guardian, towards the bottom of their piece on Musk tweeting the Falcon 9 pics http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jan/16/elon-musk-falcon-9-rapid-unscheduled-disassembly.

Rarely is the phrase 'senpai noticed us' used in its real context.

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 16, 2015

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.
How do you launch part of a space station if both ends of it are docking clamps? The decoupler rings or what have you won't attach to the docking clamp for some reason.

This is probably a dumb question but I don't know the answer anyway.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hatesfreedom posted:

How do you launch part of a space station if both ends of it are docking clamps? The decoupler rings or what have you won't attach to the docking clamp for some reason.

That should be possible, it must be a bug or mod conflict. But you can stick a second docking port on the first one (the other way around, so they clamp) and use that instead of a decoupler, then add stages below it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

haveblue posted:

That should be possible, it must be a bug or mod conflict. But you can stick a second docking port on the first one (the other way around, so they clamp) and use that instead of a decoupler, then add stages below it.

This will work, but you will need to disable fuel crossfeed manually so you don't drain any fuel tanks you may have put in the station core.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

hatesfreedom posted:

Just connect it to your ship with a docking port and undock in space should work i think.

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.
Yup, that makes perfect sense. You guys are the best

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can stick anything to a docking port in the VAB and decouple it just like you decouple two docking ports. The staging UI will get a bit confused though.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Also make sure you don't skimp on the struts otherwise your rocket will dangle around like a limp member.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Vetitum posted:

Also make sure you don't skimp on the struts otherwise your rocket will dangle around like a limp member.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Spookydonut posted:

How do you target the sun?

You don't. You select it from the drop-down in the advanced tab in SASS.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I uninstalled B9 because I realized that what little I liked about it wasn't balanced out by whatever weird poo poo it does re:aerodynamics and the massive size of it. My loadtime was like half what it was! But I had b9 RCS things on a ship apparently and after deleting them from the save, I couldn't click on any building besides the science center, and couldn't exit from it so wee time to start over.

Someone posted a screenshot at some point of I guess +science/cash/rep in the debug menu, how do you bring that up? I'll fly more rockets but I'll be damned if I'm going to grind back to where I was legit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you're making a new save, just select custom difficulty and set your starting cash/science to what you like

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Maxmaps posted:

Hi, I'm KSP's producer and PR manager. Indie houses are fun as hell.
I thought PottScott Manley was your PR manager :)

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Synnr posted:

I uninstalled B9 because I realized that what little I liked about it wasn't balanced out by whatever weird poo poo it does re:aerodynamics and the massive size of it. My loadtime was like half what it was! But I had b9 RCS things on a ship apparently and after deleting them from the save, I couldn't click on any building besides the science center, and couldn't exit from it so wee time to start over.

Someone posted a screenshot at some point of I guess +science/cash/rep in the debug menu, how do you bring that up? I'll fly more rockets but I'll be damned if I'm going to grind back to where I was legit.

Hold Alt for 5 seconds with the debug menu open. Or right shift on Linux.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

fart simpson posted:

Station Science is a good mod. I just recently installed it.
Mental note: Getting a 16t Zoology Lab into orbit within 140 tons (level 2 launch pad) is REALLY tight.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Synnr posted:

What does it carry?

Right now nothing (but a stock landing gear I needed for a contract). I'm fairly sure I can change it a bit and make it an SSTO or even add a cargo bay for payload capability. There's a lot of spare performance here.

Met posted:

I try to go as simple as possible with my designs. Here's my first SSTO. I use NEAR for my Aerodynamics.

It has a docking port and that's it. It technically does the job but uses all of my fuel to get up and then back down to the KSC for a proper landing. My next goal will be an SSTO that can actually bring up a sizable amount of fuel or cargo for delivery.

I'd really like some airbrakes that are not part of B9. I don't like the B9 parts at all because they don't blend in well with Spaceplane Plus. Would be nice to not have my part list half filled with just B9 stuff.

I do like this goofy cockpit though.

If I knew anything about modding I would just pull out everything but the cockpit and airbrakes.

I used to do planes much like yours (especially SSTOs), but I've recently fallen in love with efficient planes regarding lift / drag. There's just something really cool about not needing a huge AoA to fly straight that I can't explain.

Regarding B9, just go to the /GameData/B9 (probably B9? idk)/Parts and find the folders that are probably the airbrakes and the cool cockpit. The names of the folders should help. Delete everything else.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

FuSchnick posted:

Mental note: Getting a 16t Zoology Lab into orbit within 140 tons (level 2 launch pad) is REALLY tight.

I have entertained the possibility of launching a disposable refueler/tug before my main launch, and then trying to time my main launch so that it crosses the orbit of the tug close enough to dock even if the main launch can't quite get to orbit. It just seems like too much work, though, when 20 minutes of satellite launches will get you enough cash to upgrade the launch pad anyway.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

In my experience, sub-orbital docking usually ends in tragedy.

Its cool when it works though.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Nevets posted:

I have entertained the possibility of launching a disposable refueler/tug before my main launch, and then trying to time my main launch so that it crosses the orbit of the tug close enough to dock even if the main launch can't quite get to orbit. It just seems like too much work, though, when 20 minutes of satellite launches will get you enough cash to upgrade the launch pad anyway.
I didn't have enough lucrative contracts available to raise the cash in a reasonable amount of time, and I had some active Station Science contracts for tons of money taunting me.

I was able to get a rocket built that barely made 4900 dV, which should make it if I have a particularly efficient gravity turn.

Then I found out that making a decent aerodynamic rocket in FAR actually reduces your required dV to orbit on Kerbin pretty substantially, so I had way more than needed.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

FuSchnick posted:

I didn't have enough lucrative contracts available to raise the cash in a reasonable amount of time, and I had some active Station Science contracts for tons of money taunting me.

I was able to get a rocket built that barely made 4900 dV, which should make it if I have a particularly efficient gravity turn.

Then I found out that making a decent aerodynamic rocket in FAR actually reduces your required dV to orbit on Kerbin pretty substantially, so I had way more than needed.

How much dV can you get into orbit with? I usually budget 3700-3800m/s for a 100km orbit, but I have come in under that lots of times for simple, narrow loads.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Depends a lot on how well you perform your ascent, but between 3500 and 4000 should do it and leave some wiggle room.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Count Roland posted:

In my experience, sub-orbital docking usually ends in tragedy.

Its cool when it works though.

I've docked at 50,000m, falling rapidly. Does it count or is it too high

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

In-atmosphere docking does add a certain extra challenge.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Plane that works surprisingly well. It's extremely manoeuvrable and stable. Shown here descending from ~20000m. This was one with the tail angled down.

Stock aero model.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Inacio posted:

This is quite possibly my most successful plane. It owns. (Uses FAR)

Bonus planform because I like this plane a lot

Reminds me a bit of the F22

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

OldMold posted:

Welp after 800+ hours in the game, I've finally launched a manned interplanetary mission.

Crew of 3, 500 days of life support, two unmanned probes, two nuclear reactors, one Argon thruster, ~11km dV. Heading to say hello to Duna and Ike.

The KSS Overkill? KSS Kitchen sink? Nice look but I think you got a little carried away adding stuff :hehe: Make another one with all the trimmings: landers, rover, jacuzzi...

Seriously though, less really is more for a lot of KSP designs.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

EightBit posted:

How much dV can you get into orbit with? I usually budget 3700-3800m/s for a 100km orbit, but I have come in under that lots of times for simple, narrow loads.
I just did a quick test using MechJeb ascent on a tall skinny rocket with 4900 dV to a circular orbit at 80km, and it finished with a hair under 1000dv remaining. MechJeb launches are kinda wobbly with FAR, so a well-done manual flight could probably shave off a few hundred more. My first stage was only 1.3 TWR, so maybe that increased the cost a little too.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Zaran posted:

Screencap:

Thanks for posting the link, that's wonderful. That SpaceX got so close on the first attempt is pretty amazing, a couple of tweaks to their MechJeb (like it left the suicide burn a tad too late) and she'll be a good un.

Met posted:

I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about rockets exploding in real life as I am in my video games.

As long as no-one gets hurt or goes broke from it, where's the harm in enjoying a good old explosion?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ratzap posted:

Thanks for posting the link, that's wonderful. That SpaceX got so close on the first attempt is pretty amazing, a couple of tweaks to their MechJeb (like it left the suicide burn a tad too late) and she'll be a good un.

It seems their MechJeb was fine, they just need to swap in the next bigger hydraulic reservoir part next time.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

EightBit posted:

I'm probably not doing things extremely efficiently but I can consistently get a 3700m/s rocket into orbit with about 100m/s remaining.

e: Also since someone mentioned TWR, I've found that an initial TWR of about 1.8 is ideal for launches, any lower and gravity saps away too much energy, any higher and FAR aerodynamics will do not nice things to your rocket.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 17, 2015

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm really curious about how many parts you can have before the game really starts to lag, is it any parts that you put on the rocket or are physics-less parts ignored when it comes into affect game lag due to too many parts?

Also how much of the limitations with physics modeling regarding the amount of parts you have is affected by the horsepower of your computer vs the code the game is running on currently?

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold

Ratzap posted:

The KSS Overkill? KSS Kitchen sink? Nice look but I think you got a little carried away adding stuff :hehe: Make another one with all the trimmings: landers, rover, jacuzzi...

Seriously though, less really is more for a lot of KSP designs.

The life support is the big bloat - cant really do without that. If I'm carting a huge LS load might as well stuff as many science instruments as possible. The "Explore Duna/Ike" contracts require a surface science transmission, hence the lander probes and the antennae (using RemoteTech). I suppose I could cut the two batteries. Maybe some aesthetic bits like the crew tube and two adapters, but then it would look janky.

The KSS Overkill is in the works:

Heading to Jool to explore all the moons. 6 crew, full suite of Station Science modules, Vacuum/Atmosphere lander. 190 tons...

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

What are your calculated life support margins?

200 days for the round trip, 50 days to hang around in the system, 150 days in case I need to send a refuel vessel, 100 days just in case margin. Probably too much, but I might install "Dang It", so there could be supply loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
What is everyone using for life support on .90? I just did a fresh install plus CKAN but it doesn't have TAC, which appears to not support .90.